Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC 01:31 - Oct 25 with 2813 viewsUplandsJack

Genuine question.....
I'm sitting here tonight looking back on all that has changed/ happened in the last year or so and I'm wondering was it all worth it....

Go back 6 years, we had championship football yes, but we seemingly had a board of directors who at least seemed to care more about the club than all the millions of £££'s they stood to make. A supporters director who actually gave his time for FREE and generally a more happy and united fanbase.

Fast forward to present day and we've been truly shat on by said directors. Are now owned by Americans who are completely detached from the fan Base. It even turns out that the trust representative on the board, has been paid £40k per year for doing what was portrayed by the trust itself, until today's disclosure, as volunteered UNPAID work. (Personal expenses excluded)

What a sorry, sorry state of affairs.

Anyway there we are, I just thought I'd ask the question.....
[Post edited 25 Oct 2016 2:37]
Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 01:50 - Oct 25 with 2520 viewsTreforys_Jack

Good question, and many will tell you that being in the PL is everything. I was a happier fan during L1 and the Championship without a doubt, but that was down to the brand of football we were playing and the special connection I felt I had with my club. I've enjoyed the PL, especially under ML. The board and the recent revelations have somewhat soured the experience. Players and managers come and go, we all know and accept that , but the board, the local lads made good, I really thought they were here for the long haul. They made enough from dividend payments but trying to tuck up the trust is unforgivable IMO.
Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 02:31 - Oct 25 with 2503 viewsSwansNZ

Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 01:50 - Oct 25 by Treforys_Jack

Good question, and many will tell you that being in the PL is everything. I was a happier fan during L1 and the Championship without a doubt, but that was down to the brand of football we were playing and the special connection I felt I had with my club. I've enjoyed the PL, especially under ML. The board and the recent revelations have somewhat soured the experience. Players and managers come and go, we all know and accept that , but the board, the local lads made good, I really thought they were here for the long haul. They made enough from dividend payments but trying to tuck up the trust is unforgivable IMO.

They did indeed make enough from dividends, directors fees, perks etc, plus if they really wanted a bit extra, get someone to buy maybe 30% of the shares, not give total control of the club to money men. Unfortunately, it’s come down to greed, pure and simple.

The PL is not everything, but what is the point in sport, if you don’t try your best to be the best you can be.

From a personal point of view, I’ve really enjoyed the PL, as it has given me the opportunity of watching the Swans (on TV/Internet) again, after many years of just reading reports. I certainly hope it continues for a long time.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 04:53 - Oct 25 with 2453 viewsTreforys_Jack

Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 02:31 - Oct 25 by SwansNZ

They did indeed make enough from dividends, directors fees, perks etc, plus if they really wanted a bit extra, get someone to buy maybe 30% of the shares, not give total control of the club to money men. Unfortunately, it’s come down to greed, pure and simple.

The PL is not everything, but what is the point in sport, if you don’t try your best to be the best you can be.

From a personal point of view, I’ve really enjoyed the PL, as it has given me the opportunity of watching the Swans (on TV/Internet) again, after many years of just reading reports. I certainly hope it continues for a long time.

Prob put far better than myself.
Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 04:59 - Oct 25 with 2449 viewsKilkennyjack

Premier league was simply a dream.
Bankrupt was more likely.

A decade in the Championship alone was a massive ambition.

Its been a joy to watch world class players and yes the ML team was outstanding.
We have knocked Cardiff City and BBC Wales right off their fecking perch.

Shame Trunds never got to play in the top flight for (obvs still do a job).
Shame the Academy has not helped us at all and has priotitised players from afar over our local lads - ben, joey, and jazz did not happen by accident under the old CoE.

I dont want to let the sell outs spoil our great journey. As dazza would say, feck em.

Beware of the Risen People

Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 08:17 - Oct 25 with 2333 viewsJethroJack

You're right to.pose the question..."what's the point of sport unless you try to be the best you can be". Trouble is the Premier League is not only "sport", its big business and consequently attracts those who appear to be motivated more by money than they are the "product" that's generating the money.

This is the "real world"....unfortunately!
Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 08:26 - Oct 25 with 2301 viewsLeonisGod

No. The same scenario could have unfolded in any league once the board got bored / ran out of ideas.
Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 08:29 - Oct 25 with 2293 viewsperchrockjack

Sad some think ambition is deadly.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 09:19 - Oct 25 with 2226 viewsQuincy999

I don't think the situation is down to us being in the premier league.Everything is cyclical we have had good, bad and indifferant owners before. We are just at a differant level to what we are used to. I'm not saying the current owners are good or bad but they have a bit more about them than the tony petty's of this world and who potentially present a more formidable challenge to supporters.
Login to get fewer ads

Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 09:33 - Oct 25 with 2203 views34dfgdf54

Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 08:29 - Oct 25 by perchrockjack

Sad some think ambition is deadly.

I will be shot down for this, but I personally think ambition is what has finally done us, and by that, I mean lack of.

To survive in this league, you need to be prepared to spend, and failing that, you definitely need to atleast spend the money you are recouping on players. At times I thought it was because we were terrified of us going down the Pompey and Cardiff route, but now I am certain it was more about personal gain by the current board.

How many January's have we said we are desperate for a player, and one never to come, or if one did come, it would be a no hope loan signing, or a player who is struggling in much weaker leagues for a low fee. It has all caught up on us, and to be honest, I am surprised it has taken this long.

Like everyone else on here, as long as we have a club to support in the future, whether that be in the Championship, League 1 or whatever then it's fine, but I don't think we have ever been willing to go the extra mile with regards to cementing our position as a top level football club. When I say that, I don't mean gambling millions away, but recouping our transfer fees on the playing squad, getting a decent commercial director who could take us to the next level in terms of sponsorship and marketing abroad, please don't say Jack to a King did that in the States, that was putting us in the shop window, nothing more.
Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 09:41 - Oct 25 with 2181 viewsJoe_bradshaw

I agree that from where pretty much all of us are sitting they were making enough. HJ on half a million a year - how much more did he need?

Once they decided to sell I fear the game was up. I have come to the conclusion that selling say, 30% of the shares and retaining control was a fantasy that many of us indulged in but was simply never going to happen.

Anyone paying big money for shares wants complete control. That doesn't mean 30% or even double that, it means complete control without the pesky supporters trust being able to do anything about it. That's why they have 75.1% of the voting rights and are ignoring the Trust.

I suspect that the sellers realised after the first American interest that the Trust was a very big obstacle to the riches on offer and, even if they wanted to, they wouldn't find a buyer who would be happy to part with close to £100M and who would be happy to see the Trust with 25%. Whether the Chinese interest would have accepted that I suppose we'll never know but it doesn't seem likely to me.

I seriously wonder whether the idea (which I have espoused) that the sale was OK but the sellers should have secured their legacy by ensuring that the Trust got 25%, was a naive pipe dream.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 09:43 - Oct 25 with 2168 viewsperchrockjack

It's just your opinion.
Just because we could see this glorious chance to truly change Swansea blown away, doesn't mean that to be in premier league isn't the pinacle .it is.

Talk to fans of the big clubs who are outside the PL and can't get in.

We re in and seem to be screwing up...by lack of ambition , possibly or more likely incompetent stewardship at the top.

Pretty tragic but it might not happen.

Let's face it, people are preparing themselves mentally for the drop and are making such posts to assuage the hurt..

And it will hurt come May. Anyone saying different lies

Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 09:54 - Oct 25 with 2150 viewsjack247

No, it hasn't. Certain individuals selling their values, the club values, have damaged SCFC.

I loved our time in the lower leagues, because I knew no better. If we went back there, I'd still go to every home game and probably go away a bit more, because I like the authenticity and camaraderie at 'local' grounds more than the sanitised atmosphere in mega stadiums.

I'd always be yearning for the days of competing against and sometimes beating the big boys though.

Whatever you say about the old board, and I'm a massive critic at the moment, they left the club in a much better position than they inherited it.
Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 09:55 - Oct 25 with 2143 viewsperchrockjack

Top post is a fair one.
Hard to argue with in all honestly

Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 10:26 - Oct 25 with 2104 viewsnice_to_michu

Yes, it has been worth it.

Completely.
Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 10:36 - Oct 25 with 2074 viewsmagicdaps10

It has all been worth it but like many things that journey was and will always come to an end.
My issue is how it looks like it could end, people we trusted eventually letting us down just for even more coinage on top of what they have already made.......the money not only changed or directors but also the whole ethos of our football club.

The annoying thing, a few years of bad decisions and wrong turns could have been eradicated with a good few months in the summer with a bit of ambition and a little risk with regards to player recruitment.

All said, i would not have changed it for the world........Huw and co, well thats another story.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 10:47 - Oct 25 with 2042 viewsjasper_T

It's not the Premier League's fault that the club has abandoned the philosophies that got it there.
Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 10:50 - Oct 25 with 2040 viewsLegend83

I often have the same thought but then I realise that, just like life, supporting your club is a rich tapestry.

Reaching the Premier League and the current turmoil that has brought through money and greed will never damage my memories of the banging North Bank, watching with my Dad as Molby scored a last minute-winning penalty, seeing John Ford score against Middlesborough in the Cup.

And equally it has brought memories of watching Michu and Danny Graham slot the winners against Arsenal, the likes of Pablo Hernandez and Fernando Llorente (what a player on FIFA11!) donning the shirt. And of course, that night in Valencia.

So yes, the current is not great. But that can't ever damage the past. Hopefully the future will be brighter.
Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 11:39 - Oct 25 with 1971 viewssully49

We've most certainly lost the "Swansea Way" and have become more gritty than pretty. Our time in the PL has set us up with a much better infrastructure in the academy and training facilities.
I too much preferred the Championship days and let's not forget the hedonistic days, starting in the play offs and the initial few seasons in the top flight, however, I don't believe we are leaving here, certainly not this season. The lower divisions are littered with PL teams of not too long ago either.
Ironically the very money people back when it really mattered are the very ones that brought us to where find ourselves currently. Hero's to zero's.
We now have to see if our American benefactors now live up to the hype, watch this space I suppose. We must give them time to earn our trust, but we should offer them the opportunity to do so.
We've seen all before and lets not forget we're Swansea City till we die.

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 13:15 - Oct 25 with 1879 viewssomersetsimon

Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 09:33 - Oct 25 by 34dfgdf54

I will be shot down for this, but I personally think ambition is what has finally done us, and by that, I mean lack of.

To survive in this league, you need to be prepared to spend, and failing that, you definitely need to atleast spend the money you are recouping on players. At times I thought it was because we were terrified of us going down the Pompey and Cardiff route, but now I am certain it was more about personal gain by the current board.

How many January's have we said we are desperate for a player, and one never to come, or if one did come, it would be a no hope loan signing, or a player who is struggling in much weaker leagues for a low fee. It has all caught up on us, and to be honest, I am surprised it has taken this long.

Like everyone else on here, as long as we have a club to support in the future, whether that be in the Championship, League 1 or whatever then it's fine, but I don't think we have ever been willing to go the extra mile with regards to cementing our position as a top level football club. When I say that, I don't mean gambling millions away, but recouping our transfer fees on the playing squad, getting a decent commercial director who could take us to the next level in terms of sponsorship and marketing abroad, please don't say Jack to a King did that in the States, that was putting us in the shop window, nothing more.

How much more money could the club spend on players (transfer fees and salaries) without going into debt?

Even if we were to 'invest' in more expensive players and we were a bit sharper on the commercial side, that would only gain a few million if we finished a couple of places higher and sold a few more shirts.

That's why I've never understood why some people were hoping for an 'investor' to pump extra money into the club for new players. How on earth would they ever recover that investment?
Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 13:19 - Oct 25 with 1863 viewsDarran

Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 13:15 - Oct 25 by somersetsimon

How much more money could the club spend on players (transfer fees and salaries) without going into debt?

Even if we were to 'invest' in more expensive players and we were a bit sharper on the commercial side, that would only gain a few million if we finished a couple of places higher and sold a few more shirts.

That's why I've never understood why some people were hoping for an 'investor' to pump extra money into the club for new players. How on earth would they ever recover that investment?

I've asked that question several times in the past,how do people investing in football clubs get their money back?
The owners of Chelsea,Man City etc are never going to get their money back are they?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 15:38 - Oct 25 with 1757 viewssomersetsimon

Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 13:19 - Oct 25 by Darran

I've asked that question several times in the past,how do people investing in football clubs get their money back?
The owners of Chelsea,Man City etc are never going to get their money back are they?

They aren't investors. Those clubs are just playthings.
Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 15:55 - Oct 25 with 1731 viewsjack247

Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 13:19 - Oct 25 by Darran

I'm not sure what Abramovich' motivation is. I think Man City's owners are using them as advertising for the Emirates in general. They know that when the oil runs out, the place is fcked unless they can turn it into a sustainable tourist destination. They have so much money they are pretty much philanthropists, not to City, but to their area.

I'm only guessing though, could be miles out.
Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 16:24 - Oct 25 with 1696 viewsBorojack

A few times last season I remember the cameras zooming in on a very worried looking Huw Jenkins.
This ws prior to the sale I remember thinking to myself would we be better off getting relegated to safeguard the future of the club.
I posted it on here and got pelters for it but if it had happened the greedy sellouts would not be so smug now, we would still have a proper club to support and the Yanks would have gone somewhere else.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins be sacked

Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 16:46 - Oct 25 with 1665 viewsjohnlangy

Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 13:15 - Oct 25 by somersetsimon

In the summer we could have bought Joe Allen and STILL been in credit considering the money we got for Ayew, Ash etc.
Has joining the Premier League damaged SCFC on 17:40 - Oct 25 with 1602 viewsDr_Winston

Abramovich probably spends as much on Yachts as he has on Chelsea. Think we have to accept that he's in it for the fun of it these days rather than just as an investment.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024