Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales rugby 09:02 - Oct 25 with 3887 viewsbuilthjack

In 135 years Wales have only played against 22 countries, of which quite a few are little islands (Fiji, Samoa, Pacific Islands etc). Closed shop or minority sport?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Wales rugby on 09:11 - Oct 25 with 1862 viewsperchrockjack

It's not a minority sport for many.
If it is, so what.

Plenty follow cricket,utterly irrelevant to many worldwide, same with ice hockey,basketball,and the biggest closed shop and non sport of all..F1

Can't wait for the minority four nations RL tournament.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Wales rugby on 09:12 - Oct 25 with 1861 viewsLeonisGod

Minority sport. Although a lot of countries play rugby at league level, there are relatively few with a large league structure. Just a quick look at the country list from wiki shows only 32 countries with more than 50 clubs: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rugby_union_playing_countries

Brazil is the surprise on there given the history of their footie team. Shed loads of clubs, but no strength internationally.
Wales rugby on 09:13 - Oct 25 with 1860 viewsmax936

The game is growing with the emergence of Japan, those Island you mention only recently [last maybe 100yrs] involved themselves in to the outside world, so its neither for me.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Wales rugby on 09:17 - Oct 25 with 1852 viewsperchrockjack

It's odd football being obviously a majority sport has so many detractors.

Millions world wide hate football as it represents all that is rotten in society.

Only today ,we see a post basically decrying arguably football s highest profile league.

Odd that.

Aussie rules is minority sport .

Still, it's the time of year to knock the egg and hammer those who enjoy the game and watch our national side

Wales rugby on 09:23 - Oct 25 with 1843 viewsProfessor

More a reflection of being a sport linked to the old British Empire plus France. Another issue is that with a few exceptions it is more elitist than association football-oft linked to private education/university. France (especially the Southwest), Wales, NZ and SA are these exceptions. Not been to NZ but it is part of Afrikaner culture in RSA and popular amongst the 'English' population too.

I get more pleasure from a rugby game as a neutral than football these days. My daughter is a big fan and desperate to watch both Wales and the Ospreys now rather than the Swans. With all the moaning, groaning and despair I may just join her!
Wales rugby on 09:24 - Oct 25 with 1842 viewsjack247

It's not close to football obviously, but it's nowhere near being a majority sport either. Bobsleigh is a minority sport.

Edit - 'it's nowhere near being a minority sport'
[Post edited 25 Oct 2016 9:47]
Wales rugby on 09:26 - Oct 25 with 1836 viewsmax936

Wales rugby on 09:24 - Oct 25 by jack247

It's not close to football obviously, but it's nowhere near being a majority sport either. Bobsleigh is a minority sport.

Edit - 'it's nowhere near being a minority sport'
[Post edited 25 Oct 2016 9:47]

Exactly J.

Wales rugby on 09:32 - Oct 25 with 1824 viewsmax936

Wales rugby on 09:12 - Oct 25 by LeonisGod

Minority sport. Although a lot of countries play rugby at league level, there are relatively few with a large league structure. Just a quick look at the country list from wiki shows only 32 countries with more than 50 clubs: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rugby_union_playing_countries

Brazil is the surprise on there given the history of their footie team. Shed loads of clubs, but no strength internationally.

What's Cricket then, only now it is starting to emerge I love Cricket, but Rugby is much further ahead as a World wide sport.

Login to get fewer ads

Wales rugby on 09:38 - Oct 25 with 1810 viewsperchrockjack

Cricket really is something we took to the natives and made the bigger screen play it. Watch it too.

Meaningless ,arcane and for many elitist too.

You see, it's all about personal perspective

Wales rugby on 09:57 - Oct 25 with 1789 viewsbuilthjack

Wales rugby on 09:12 - Oct 25 by LeonisGod

That's a very informative chart showing how many play rugby in some of those countries.
It shows its popular. Yet why are they not playing international rugby. Its shocking really.
The IRB should hang their heads in shame. It certainly looks like a closed shop to me, internationally.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Wales rugby on 09:58 - Oct 25 with 1783 viewsperchrockjack

Fair.

Plenty play rugby worldwide .

Wales rugby on 10:03 - Oct 25 with 1778 viewsbuilthjack

Wales rugby on 09:58 - Oct 25 by perchrockjack

Fair.

Plenty play rugby worldwide .

True. Why even the Europeans don't have a proper league with a few more divisions is beyond me. To get the same old 6 playing year in year out is madness. get another dozen countries involved and have promotion/relegation. Or would that mean the big 6 wouldn't be so big anymore?

Wales rugby on 10:20 - Oct 25 with 1760 viewsProfessor

Wales rugby on 10:03 - Oct 25 by builthjack

True. Why even the Europeans don't have a proper league with a few more divisions is beyond me. To get the same old 6 playing year in year out is madness. get another dozen countries involved and have promotion/relegation. Or would that mean the big 6 wouldn't be so big anymore?

A two division structure was mooted with Romania, Georgia, Germany, Spain and Russia I think. The problem is other than Georgia the others are far from competitive as were France when they first joined the Five Nations and (other than the occasional scalp) Italy have been.

The financial imbalance is also huge with England and France so much richer than the southern hemisphere and celtic nations. There was an article at the weekend saying over 300 saffers are paling in Europe. This is where Wales has a problem-and hopefully dual contracts will keep more players at the regions. Ultimately until one has real European success then the 'drift' continues. The Ospreys really should be getting 10k plus for all league games and 15-20k for bigger games-not just a good crowd when we put the Turks to the sword (being born in Neath leaves this rivalry).
Wales rugby on 12:16 - Oct 25 with 1699 viewsHighjack

Theres just no skill or excitement in rugby these days. If there were more players like Shane Williams it would be fantastic, but the modern game is just 30 generic hulking nobodies who can barely catch a ball without knocking it on just smashing into each other to get a few inches beyond the gain line until a penalty is given for some sort of infringement. On the rare occasion a try is actually scored the game has to be stopped for 25 minutes whilst the referee watches the slow motion replay from every angle to find an infringement so a penalty can be given instead.

If I were in charge of rugby I'd make the pitches wider to encourage a greater emphasis on passing, handling and skilful running.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Wales rugby on 12:18 - Oct 25 with 1692 viewsDarran

Wales rugby on 12:16 - Oct 25 by Highjack

Theres just no skill or excitement in rugby these days. If there were more players like Shane Williams it would be fantastic, but the modern game is just 30 generic hulking nobodies who can barely catch a ball without knocking it on just smashing into each other to get a few inches beyond the gain line until a penalty is given for some sort of infringement. On the rare occasion a try is actually scored the game has to be stopped for 25 minutes whilst the referee watches the slow motion replay from every angle to find an infringement so a penalty can be given instead.

If I were in charge of rugby I'd make the pitches wider to encourage a greater emphasis on passing, handling and skilful running.

It's shite.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Wales rugby on 13:08 - Oct 25 with 1659 viewsperchrockjack

That is often said about bygone days.

Was recently listening to Wayne Gretzky and he s of the opinion ice hockey is not as skilful as it was although players are bigger fitter and stronger.

If it's good, rugby union or league can still be terrific .

Wales rugby on 14:04 - Oct 25 with 1618 viewsBanosswan

Wales rugby on 12:16 - Oct 25 by Highjack

And yet the best team in the world only coaches two/three phases max, then allows players to do their own thing. New Zealand just do the basics 100%, pass, run straight supporting lines, run at shoulders and offload.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Wales rugby on 15:18 - Oct 25 with 1585 viewsmax936

Wales rugby on 14:04 - Oct 25 by Banosswan

And yet the best team in the world only coaches two/three phases max, then allows players to do their own thing. New Zealand just do the basics 100%, pass, run straight supporting lines, run at shoulders and offload.

Its all about statistics here, we play it by numbers the individuality is getting coached out of the game, the likes of Jiffy's brilliance would be wasted, Howley should know better but he's been brainwashed like the rest of them. Its a case of bigger the better these days muscular power machines. I still enjoy it, but.....................

Wales rugby on 16:03 - Oct 25 with 1548 viewssherpajacob

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports_attendance_figures#International_

It all depends on your perspective.

6N is the most popular sporting event in the world, based on average attendance, and RWC matches FIFA world cup in that respect also.

A lot of countries are growing the game via sevens which was a huge success in the Olympics.

Nothing matches soccer globally, although some would make a case for fishing or. Basketball. And if you based it on participation table tennis would probably be right up there.

The question is actually irrelevant. People who play one sport off against another are quite sad imho. I'm perfectly happy for my boys to play, soccer, rugby, cricket, gymnastics, cycling and swimming and anything else they want to turn their hand to.

Most top sportspeople could excel at more than one sport.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Wales rugby on 16:33 - Oct 25 with 1528 viewsmorningstar

Being pedantic as one could possibly be Builth. The Pacific Islands is not a country, so it's 21.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Wales rugby on 17:07 - Oct 25 with 1500 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

It's rubbish to watch.

If you disagree then take a look at the pitiful amount of TV money the 'major' leagues get compared to other sports.

Even other 'closed shop' sports like Basketball, Baseball and American Football have billion dollar TV deals.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Wales rugby on 17:15 - Oct 25 with 1492 viewsDarran

Wales rugby on 17:07 - Oct 25 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

It's rubbish to watch.

If you disagree then take a look at the pitiful amount of TV money the 'major' leagues get compared to other sports.

Even other 'closed shop' sports like Basketball, Baseball and American Football have billion dollar TV deals.

The strange thing is Dwight nearly all the big Osprey fans on here don't go.

Wales rugby on 17:17 - Oct 25 with 1486 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Wales rugby on 17:15 - Oct 25 by Darran

The strange thing is Dwight nearly all the big Osprey fans on here don't go.

I bet they all scramble for Welsh international tickets though.

Wales rugby on 17:20 - Oct 25 with 1477 viewsDarran

Wales rugby on 17:17 - Oct 25 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I bet they all scramble for Welsh international tickets though.

You know Max then?

Wales rugby on 17:26 - Oct 25 with 1473 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Wales rugby on 17:20 - Oct 25 by Darran

You know Max then?

Multiple people were taking photos of their Wales v Argentina tickets on my Facebook, as if they had just received tickets for the World Cup Final. All excited for their day of binge drinking in Cardiff. Never seen them post their Ospreys tickets.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024