Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales rugby 09:02 - Oct 25 with 3880 viewsbuilthjack

In 135 years Wales have only played against 22 countries, of which quite a few are little islands (Fiji, Samoa, Pacific Islands etc). Closed shop or minority sport?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Wales rugby on 20:12 - Oct 26 with 836 viewssherpajacob

Everyone accepts that Rugby union is the national sport of new zealand.

NZ population is comparable with Wales.

Yet the biggest attendances achieved on the 2005 lions tour of NZ and the 2011 RWC in NZ were both at the millennium stadium in Cardiff.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Wales rugby on 20:15 - Oct 26 with 826 viewsSwansNZ

Wales rugby on 20:12 - Oct 26 by sherpajacob

Everyone accepts that Rugby union is the national sport of new zealand.

NZ population is comparable with Wales.

Yet the biggest attendances achieved on the 2005 lions tour of NZ and the 2011 RWC in NZ were both at the millennium stadium in Cardiff.

2011 in cardiff?

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Wales rugby on 21:39 - Oct 26 with 796 viewssherpajacob

Wales rugby on 20:15 - Oct 26 by SwansNZ

2011 in cardiff?

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/wales/rugbyworldcup/19882.php

Wales rugby on 21:44 - Oct 26 with 783 viewsraynor94

Wales rugby on 18:30 - Oct 26 by max936

Rugby is getting more and more popular, I see it around here and when I'm out and about on a Sunday you see kids in their kit after they have been playing, Television, Sky Sports and the like, plus lots of dads who play will see their lads wanting to play because their dads either still play or have kept their affiliation to the club they played for etc.

Football is much the same, everywhere I go now I regularly see adults, children wearing something Swans related, I must have seen at least half a dozen when I was in Majorca back in the summer, Osprey shirts are very popular as well.

Probably 2/3rds of peeps on here can't take to Rugby and flood these threads with their dislike for the game, its quite comical really its like they feel threatened by the sport.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2016 20:17]

Serious question Max if rugby is so popular why are crowds for the region's so poor?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Wales rugby on 21:51 - Oct 26 with 762 viewsSwansNZ

Wales rugby on 21:39 - Oct 26 by sherpajacob

http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/wales/rugbyworldcup/19882.php

ok, to watch a screen.

Of course, NZ does not have very big stadiums, Eden Park the biggest is still 20,000 smaller than The Millennium (Principality?) stadium, but has a number of smaller ones.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Wales rugby on 21:52 - Oct 26 with 760 viewsdickythorpe

Raynor, the regions were forced on us. The rivalry between the regions does not compare to the club days of Swansea v Llanelli, Neath v Aberavon, Cardiff v Newport.
You can support these teams but they are now semi pro and serve as an experiment really, with unsettled teams and very mixed results. Only Pontypridd have not really bought into the regional set up and in a way stand alone as a club that are funded by a major benefactor.
Wales rugby on 22:14 - Oct 26 with 739 viewsraynor94

Wales rugby on 21:52 - Oct 26 by dickythorpe

Raynor, the regions were forced on us. The rivalry between the regions does not compare to the club days of Swansea v Llanelli, Neath v Aberavon, Cardiff v Newport.
You can support these teams but they are now semi pro and serve as an experiment really, with unsettled teams and very mixed results. Only Pontypridd have not really bought into the regional set up and in a way stand alone as a club that are funded by a major benefactor.

I'm with you Dicky, I've always been a football fan but would always look for the Whites results, Neath was a swear word, can't feel any affiliation towards the Ospreys in any shape or form, get back to the club's and create some rivalry again

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Wales rugby on 23:15 - Oct 26 with 722 viewsmax936

Wales rugby on 21:44 - Oct 26 by raynor94

Serious question Max if rugby is so popular why are crowds for the region's so poor?

No idea, maybe its down to when the games are played, I haven't seen the Ospreys at an actual venue for years, I've rarely missed a game though, I've many reasons why I haven't gone, none that I'd go into here by the way.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Login to get fewer ads

Wales rugby on 07:32 - Oct 27 with 691 viewstaffpunk

People just haven't bought into the Regions since they were formed. Local Grassroots Rugby in the Rhondda is booming, eg. Ton Pentre the leading local football team get crowds of 40-50, the 2 nearest Rugby sides attendances are Treorchy who get roughly 200, and Ystrad Rhondda approx. 120. I'd imagine this is replicated throughout all the Mid Glamorgan Valleys.

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Wales rugby on 12:23 - Oct 27 with 658 viewssherpajacob

There are numerous reasons, and its a case of defining "poor"

prior to regionalisation 10K would be a very good crowd for Neath, Swansea or Llanelli.

I support the ospreys, but I can rarely get to matches because they are often on Friday nights. most games are televised on BBC/S4C and now sky, and with the swans in the Pl my live sport budget can only stretch so far.

Some have not taken to regionalisation. personally I felt the previous club system was unsustainable at a top pro level. Others are disillusioned with the 0'12 Irish league, a case in point being the moving of the final to Belfast last year (when the ospreys were on course for a home final)

Judgment day gets 60K crowds and the xmas welsh derbies get good attendances.

Comparing soccer and rugby is apples and pears. Rugby is more akin to cricket in terms of international matches being where the money is, whereas in soccer its the PL.

Wales rugby on 12:43 - Oct 27 with 646 viewsProfessor

Wales rugby on 07:32 - Oct 27 by taffpunk

People just haven't bought into the Regions since they were formed. Local Grassroots Rugby in the Rhondda is booming, eg. Ton Pentre the leading local football team get crowds of 40-50, the 2 nearest Rugby sides attendances are Treorchy who get roughly 200, and Ystrad Rhondda approx. 120. I'd imagine this is replicated throughout all the Mid Glamorgan Valleys.

In fairness Treorchy, Ystrad & Treherbert used to get decent crowds in the 70s and 80s. Pleased to see the Zebras getting back to a decent local footing after the madness of the 90s.

Ton Pentre was a funny one-crowds in the 1980s used to get to a few 00s -not forgetting the mid-80s FA cup runs-although the Cardiff game was the pinnacle, the Weymouth game with that 'headbutt' and the fighting behind the goal stick out.

Will never forgive Clive Thomas for gifting the league to Barry Town. Still think of Barry and Jenner Park as the force of darkness and hot bed of all evil.

....as you say no buy into the regions especially in the valleys where there is little love for Cardiff Blues as a region. The way the Warriors were treated was a disgrace and the WRU lacked the balls to stand up to Cardiff and Llanelli
Wales rugby on 13:23 - Oct 27 with 636 viewsperchrockjack

Soccer.OMG.

Come on boys ,hound him

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Wales rugby on 13:34 - Oct 27 with 619 viewssherpajacob

Wales rugby on 13:23 - Oct 27 by perchrockjack

Soccer.OMG.

Come on boys ,hound him

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football
[Post edited 27 Oct 2016 13:36]

Wales rugby on 14:35 - Oct 27 with 603 viewsbuilthjack

Wales rugby on 13:23 - Oct 27 by perchrockjack

Soccer.OMG.

Come on boys ,hound him

Yankee talk.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Wales rugby on 14:56 - Oct 27 with 587 viewssherpajacob

Wales rugby on 14:35 - Oct 27 by builthjack

Yankee talk.

Wales rugby on 19:44 - Oct 27 with 552 viewstrampie

Wales have completed 2 full tours of the Pacific Islands, decades ago now, you wont find England, NZ, SA, Australia and the like doing that.
Wales played out in Romania decades ago as well.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Wales rugby on 20:30 - Oct 27 with 534 viewsdickythorpe

Wales rugby on 19:44 - Oct 27 by trampie

Wales have completed 2 full tours of the Pacific Islands, decades ago now, you wont find England, NZ, SA, Australia and the like doing that.
Wales played out in Romania decades ago as well.

Trampie, we were hardly likely to tour the top 3 were we? Plus we were the only Union stupid enough to go to the poorer countries.
No regard for player welfare and safety at all. No idea about the political situations either. We even went to Namibia!!!!
South Africa were banned due to appartheid, and we did venture to NZ and got pulverised and lost respect and if it was even possible to lose more some bright spark thought a tour to Australia in 1991 would do us the power of good!!!
It made us look like idiots, total rank amateurs and took us years to recover from.
Wales rugby on 20:35 - Oct 27 with 523 viewsperchrockjack

Namibia.

Odd.

Big hard boned German bastzrds really

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Wales rugby on 20:57 - Oct 27 with 509 viewstrampie

Wales rugby on 20:30 - Oct 27 by dickythorpe

Trampie, we were hardly likely to tour the top 3 were we? Plus we were the only Union stupid enough to go to the poorer countries.
No regard for player welfare and safety at all. No idea about the political situations either. We even went to Namibia!!!!
South Africa were banned due to appartheid, and we did venture to NZ and got pulverised and lost respect and if it was even possible to lose more some bright spark thought a tour to Australia in 1991 would do us the power of good!!!
It made us look like idiots, total rank amateurs and took us years to recover from.

Wales historically will take on all comers, we went out to the Southern Hemisphere with games officiated by home refs including test matches, yet they always had neutral refs over here.
100 degree heat or whatever it was in the Pacific Islands, 2 of our boys unconscious at the same time in one game wasn't it, lots of rough stuff but we took them on in their own back yard, the other tier 1 countries would not do that as they were scared, we did it for no financial gain but sporting camaraderie and the challenge, Wales feels an affinity with smaller groups and countries, in footie we even played an international against the Basques, that is why politically you will often find the Welsh [not Brit Nats] on a different side of the fence to England when it comes to conflicts around the World, England often supporting other imperialist nations against the little guys the Welsh with a tendency to support the little guys.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Wales rugby on 21:05 - Oct 27 with 497 viewsDr_Winston

International Rugby is popular for a pissup. Nobody really gives a shit about the clubs or regions. For football the clubs are everything, decent performances from the National team are a bonus, but hardly essential.

Basically there is no day to day interest in Rugby and the coverage of the game is out of all proportion to the actual in depth support the game has day in, day out.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Wales rugby on 21:15 - Oct 27 with 479 viewsmax936

Wales rugby on 21:05 - Oct 27 by Dr_Winston

International Rugby is popular for a pissup. Nobody really gives a shit about the clubs or regions. For football the clubs are everything, decent performances from the National team are a bonus, but hardly essential.

Basically there is no day to day interest in Rugby and the coverage of the game is out of all proportion to the actual in depth support the game has day in, day out.

In your opinion or is there a survey running

Wales rugby on 21:18 - Oct 27 with 477 viewsDr_Winston

Wales rugby on 21:15 - Oct 27 by max936

In your opinion or is there a survey running

Based on all the available evidence Maxy.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Wales rugby on 21:23 - Oct 27 with 471 viewsmax936

Wales rugby on 21:18 - Oct 27 by Dr_Winston

Based on all the available evidence Maxy.

Which is? Rugby is like marmite on this site, it does my swede in there's room for both sports, its a small world, but it ain't to small to stop the both co habiting mun.

Tennis, Cricket, Golf or the X factor get as much grief as Rugby does on here, poxy philistines the lot of you

Wales rugby on 21:29 - Oct 27 with 462 viewsDr_Winston

Wales rugby on 21:23 - Oct 27 by max936

Which is? Rugby is like marmite on this site, it does my swede in there's room for both sports, its a small world, but it ain't to small to stop the both co habiting mun.

Tennis, Cricket, Golf or the X factor get as much grief as Rugby does on here, poxy philistines the lot of you

It's not grief. It's a statement of the obvious. Of almost all of the Rugby "fans" I've ever encountered almost none of them ever set foot inside an Ospreys game. They're the Perchrockjacks of Rugby. Feigning interest but not all that bothered really.

Wales rugby on 21:38 - Oct 27 with 456 viewsmax936

Wales rugby on 21:29 - Oct 27 by Dr_Winston

It's not grief. It's a statement of the obvious. Of almost all of the Rugby "fans" I've ever encountered almost none of them ever set foot inside an Ospreys game. They're the Perchrockjacks of Rugby. Feigning interest but not all that bothered really.

I watch every game I can mun, on the box admittedly, I should go to at least some, but its difficult for me on a Friday night, I get offered tickets regularly for Wales games, but again its not easy even when we got respite there's the financial side to consider, gonna get harder as well and I'm gonna miss lots of the Swans games soon as my new job when it starts involves being on call, its a bit late in life to start going on call, but that's the way things are in the path I'm going down, the rewards reflect that though so its all good.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024