Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player 08:58 - Oct 26 with 5958 viewssherpajacob

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/37760114

If you are one of the 8%, why don't you just eff off now?
[Post edited 26 Oct 2016 9:02]

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 18:08 - Oct 26 with 1032 viewsMurph75

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 18:05 - Oct 26 by Swanjack10

And? Its just as filthy now as it ever has been.

Nothing filthy with 2 people engaging in consensual love making.
8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 18:21 - Oct 26 with 1016 viewsSwanjack10

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 18:08 - Oct 26 by Murph75

Nothing filthy with 2 people engaging in consensual love making.

Im out, keep plugging

ambition is critical....................
Poll: do you think swanjack10 should be a moderator?

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 18:21 - Oct 26 with 1016 viewsblueytheblue

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 17:56 - Oct 26 by nice_to_michu

Why do you think it was personal gain with Gareth Thomas?

Even if it was (though I don't agree, for the record), it was an important step and I think we should respect that.

When I was at Uni, around 23 years ago, someone there I knew was a relative of a Bridgend board member.

I was told it was something everyone knew about in rugby and had no issue with it. Banter would be thrown, Thomas giving as good as he got. That was told to me before his coming out many years later.

That really wouldn't have fitted into his narrative of being a tortured soul, worried about coming out etc. Wouldn't have sold as well.

Do I respect it? Eh... end of the day, sexuality is irrelevant to sport unless it's illegal... straight, gay, whatever...

Poll: Alternate POTY final

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 18:22 - Oct 26 with 1012 viewsMurph75

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 18:21 - Oct 26 by Swanjack10

Im out, keep plugging

Do you have kids?

If so what would you say or do if they told you they were gay?
8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 18:28 - Oct 26 with 1002 viewslondonlisa2001

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 10:30 - Oct 26 by monmouth

I would guess that it would still be very unpleasant for an openly gay footballer in the dressing room, whatever Sutton says.

My understanding is that there are many players who are openly gay amongst their colleagues, just not to the wider public. Same as film stars, or pop stars, or whatever.

And any Swans fan that believes they've never supported a gay player is, frankly, delusional.
8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 19:26 - Oct 26 with 974 viewsCountyJim

What about the 92% or we just picking and choosing figures
[Post edited 26 Oct 2016 19:27]
8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 19:27 - Oct 26 with 973 viewsnice_to_michu

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 18:21 - Oct 26 by blueytheblue

When I was at Uni, around 23 years ago, someone there I knew was a relative of a Bridgend board member.

I was told it was something everyone knew about in rugby and had no issue with it. Banter would be thrown, Thomas giving as good as he got. That was told to me before his coming out many years later.

That really wouldn't have fitted into his narrative of being a tortured soul, worried about coming out etc. Wouldn't have sold as well.

Do I respect it? Eh... end of the day, sexuality is irrelevant to sport unless it's illegal... straight, gay, whatever...

Well of course it's irrelevant. But it is not irrelevant to the thousands of sports fans who are homophobic, and vilify gay people for it.

Race is obviously not relevant to sport either, but it sure was relevant for millions of football fans over the years who took exception to non-white players.
8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 19:27 - Oct 26 with 973 viewsdickythorpe

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 18:21 - Oct 26 by blueytheblue

Bridgend RFC had a horrible captain called Ian Greenslade, he used to buy zoom lollies for a drinking game they had.....Gareth Thomas enjoyed that game!!!!
Login to get fewer ads

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 19:30 - Oct 26 with 969 viewsnice_to_michu

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 19:26 - Oct 26 by CountyJim

What about the 92% or we just picking and choosing figures
[Post edited 26 Oct 2016 19:27]

What about it?

If you were told that 92% of British people believe that the earth revolves around the sun, your response wouldn't be "look how great that is", you would more likely say "what the f**k do the other 8% believe"?!
8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 19:30 - Oct 26 with 966 viewsphact0rri

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 17:36 - Oct 26 by blueytheblue

Robbie Rodgers was at Leeds and "retired" from football - aside from the obvious joke about retiring and Leeds, I believe he revealed in an interview it was because of the "pressure" at not coming out as gay?

The fact he was just a bit shit at football at the standard required would of course be irrelevant.

People's sexuality is irrelevant unless it breaks the law - the problem is where people play off it for personal gain. Looking at you, Gareth Thomas...

oh no "d" in his name. This lad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Rogers

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 19:33 - Oct 26 with 957 viewsdickythorpe

I don't think we as fans have any business knowing what sexuality they are. Just like they have no business knowing what we are. I doubt they even care if a teammate is gay - as long as they give 100% and get paid.
8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 19:37 - Oct 26 with 946 viewsphact0rri

There is a lot of sad history with LGBTQ in sport though. I keep meaning to read the Justin Fashanu book, 'Forbidden Forward'. Though as much as a good read it is-- I know im in for some serious tragedy. Though with this thread maybe its about the time to pick it up. Now where do I get british books shipped to me here in the states...

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 19:43 - Oct 26 with 931 viewsSwanjack10

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 18:22 - Oct 26 by Murph75

Do you have kids?

If so what would you say or do if they told you they were gay?

Yes I have 3 kids which ive brought up on my own and work, dont ever mention my kids in a thread ever, grade A kickboxers the boys , my young daughter still with me, all aware of the world and know whats right in life, this topic could go on forever! !!! To be bent as much as darrans bank account , is an illness or incorrect upbringing, so kindly fu ckoff.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2016 21:07]

ambition is critical....................
Poll: do you think swanjack10 should be a moderator?

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 19:46 - Oct 26 with 925 viewsdickythorpe

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 19:37 - Oct 26 by phact0rri

There is a lot of sad history with LGBTQ in sport though. I keep meaning to read the Justin Fashanu book, 'Forbidden Forward'. Though as much as a good read it is-- I know im in for some serious tragedy. Though with this thread maybe its about the time to pick it up. Now where do I get british books shipped to me here in the states...

Remember Brian Clough on the Fashanu revelation?

"Boss I'm gay'

"No worries Justin" said Clough

A day or do later..... "Boss I've found God"

" Oh feckin hell Justin that's all I need!!"
8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 19:48 - Oct 26 with 914 viewsMurph75

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 19:43 - Oct 26 by Swanjack10

Yes I have 3 kids which ive brought up on my own and work, dont ever mention my kids in a thread ever, grade A kickboxers the boys , my young daughter still with me, all aware of the world and know whats right in life, this topic could go on forever! !!! To be bent as much as darrans bank account , is an illness or incorrect upbringing, so kindly fu ckoff.

So you'd take the news well then? Being gay isn't an illness.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2016 19:51]
8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 19:50 - Oct 26 with 815 viewsCountyJim

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 19:30 - Oct 26 by nice_to_michu

What about it?

If you were told that 92% of British people believe that the earth revolves around the sun, your response wouldn't be "look how great that is", you would more likely say "what the f**k do the other 8% believe"?!

Well I prefer the BBC headline Homophobia in sport: Most fans 'would welcome gay players' - BBC survey

Most fans there you go
8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 19:52 - Oct 26 with 813 viewslondonlisa2001

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 19:43 - Oct 26 by Swanjack10

Not sure why being a kick boxer has anything to do with it?

I note your avatar and am sure you must be aware that there is more than one man who has been World Boxing Champion who is gay.
8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 19:52 - Oct 26 with 807 viewsblueytheblue

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 19:30 - Oct 26 by phact0rri

oh no "d" in his name. This lad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Rogers

Thought as I was typing it the name was wrong.

His whole retirement was nothing more than a cynical stunt. Bombed out in Holland, bombed out in UK. He simply wasn't that good a player. He got a lot of attention, magically returned to play in a league where he'd found his true level.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2016 19:53]

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 19:53 - Oct 26 with 801 viewsnice_to_michu

Jesus Christ, calm down.
8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 19:57 - Oct 26 with 792 viewssherpajacob

are you placing yourself in the 8% then?

How would you react if someone of the standing of say, Curt, Leon or Roger Freestone came out as gay?.

I'm confident 99.9999% of swans fans wouldn't give a toss.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 20:01 - Oct 26 with 776 viewsshandyjack

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 18:01 - Oct 26 by Swanjack10

Inform the press mate if you wish, this was about 20 years ago, im no racist, but bum love is wrong ,*my opinion*

what a dreadful comment to make, we could do with less fans like you following this club

Poll: Expectation for the season

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 20:03 - Oct 26 with 771 viewsMurph75

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 19:52 - Oct 26 by londonlisa2001

Not sure why being a kick boxer has anything to do with it?

I note your avatar and am sure you must be aware that there is more than one man who has been World Boxing Champion who is gay.

He probably believes being a kick boxer makes you immune from being gay.
8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 20:06 - Oct 26 with 757 viewsblueytheblue

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 20:03 - Oct 26 by Murph75

He probably believes being a kick boxer makes you immune from being gay.

Tbf, if one of his Grade A kickboxer sons were gay and he went off on one with them, they'd knock him the f*** out...

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 20:06 - Oct 26 with 757 viewsperchrockjack

Bum love is a giveaway phrase for a nasty piece of work.

My kids are straight. My best friends isn't. So fookn what. He s a great bloke

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 20:08 - Oct 26 with 754 viewsshandyjack

8% of fans would stop watching if their team had an openly gay player on 20:06 - Oct 26 by perchrockjack

Bum love is a giveaway phrase for a nasty piece of work.

My kids are straight. My best friends isn't. So fookn what. He s a great bloke

exactly, being gay doesn't make or break a person. It's just a small part of who they are. Anyone who has something against them are just Stupid Idiots

Poll: Expectation for the season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024