Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh non-Conformism 17:17 - Oct 27 with 2205 viewsperchrockjack

Is it the most defining part of our culture.

Is it still apparent .

Do we need another 1904

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Welsh non-Conformism on 20:42 - Oct 27 with 1835 viewsLohengrin

Crist Gwaredydd - y goleuni a'r ffordd.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Welsh non-Conformism on 20:47 - Oct 27 with 1833 viewsperchrockjack

Evan Roberts?

Took three hours for a response.

My old fella preached in the neath valley right up to banwen .

Always reckoned Wales is impoverished as it turned it's back on Jesus.

This subject defines us yet most can't see it

Welsh non-Conformism on 21:09 - Oct 27 with 1819 viewstrampie

Banwen is in the Dulais valley not the Vale of Neath.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Welsh non-Conformism on 21:39 - Oct 27 with 1802 viewsGravy

"Iesu o'r Fanwen!"

A great Welsh blasphemous exclaimation..😎

We are ceaselessly bourne into the past as F Scott Fitzgerald once said...

No more so than the pious, PC-obsessed, left-wing Virtuous cockwavers on here...

Fiery and Emo = Chapel-lite
[Post edited 27 Oct 2016 21:41]
Welsh non-Conformism on 21:56 - Oct 27 with 1778 viewsLohengrin

Welsh non-Conformism on 20:47 - Oct 27 by perchrockjack

Evan Roberts?

Took three hours for a response.

My old fella preached in the neath valley right up to banwen .

Always reckoned Wales is impoverished as it turned it's back on Jesus.

This subject defines us yet most can't see it

Roberts was one of the most famous men in the world at the dawn of the last century, Perch. For one brief, shining hour perhaps THE most famous man in the world.

Today?

Welsh non-Conformism on 22:12 - Oct 27 with 1757 viewsperchrockjack

Banwen s close though innit.

My father lied

Welsh non-Conformism on 22:17 - Oct 27 with 1746 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh non-Conformism on 21:56 - Oct 27 by Lohengrin

Roberts was one of the most famous men in the world at the dawn of the last century, Perch. For one brief, shining hour perhaps THE most famous man in the world.

Today?

Most famous man in the world was Ali for my lifetime, now - who knows ? Probably bloody Trump, the tw@t.

Most famous welsh person - ..... Hillary Clinton ? Or Tom ? Or CZJ ? Or Bale ?

Beware of the Risen People

Welsh non-Conformism on 22:26 - Oct 27 with 1728 viewsLohengrin

Welsh non-Conformism on 22:17 - Oct 27 by Kilkennyjack

Most famous man in the world was Ali for my lifetime, now - who knows ? Probably bloody Trump, the tw@t.

Most famous welsh person - ..... Hillary Clinton ? Or Tom ? Or CZJ ? Or Bale ?

I was asking how is Roberts recalled in 2016, if at all, Killly...

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh non-Conformism on 22:40 - Oct 27 with 1712 viewsTreforys_Jack

Welsh non-Conformism on 22:26 - Oct 27 by Lohengrin

I was asking how is Roberts recalled in 2016, if at all, Killly...

Don't think I've heard of him.
Welsh non-Conformism on 22:56 - Oct 27 with 1701 viewslifelong

Welsh non-Conformism on 20:42 - Oct 27 by Lohengrin

Crist Gwaredydd - y goleuni a'r ffordd.

Roberts was a Loughor boy, he is buried not far from where I live, quite often you will see a bus full of student types visiting his memorial and grave at Moriah Chapel, Loughor.
Welsh non-Conformism on 23:53 - Oct 27 with 1675 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh non-Conformism on 22:56 - Oct 27 by lifelong

Roberts was a Loughor boy, he is buried not far from where I live, quite often you will see a bus full of student types visiting his memorial and grave at Moriah Chapel, Loughor.

Massive Swans fan ....

Beware of the Risen People

Welsh non-Conformism on 23:38 - Oct 28 with 1607 viewsBrynmill_Jack

To the OP - no, we don't need another 1904. The Church of Christ that flourishes and is kept alive by it's sacraments is one of a Catholic hue, be it high Anglican, Roman or Orthodox.

Most Chapels are nowadays being converted either in to curry houses, mosques or private homes as the congregations die out. This is the result of protestant rationalism which has no spirit or belief in anything other than scientific thought to sustain it.

People need more than what protestantism can give.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Welsh non-Conformism on 10:39 - Oct 29 with 1566 viewsperchrockjack

Indeed.

I was alluding to the tendency we have for self guilt ,lack of confidence ,squabbling and hypocrisy as evidenced by the famous Welsh dry sabbath days of old.

Ya hat ta be there

Welsh non-Conformism on 21:27 - Oct 29 with 1531 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Welsh non-Conformism on 10:39 - Oct 29 by perchrockjack

Indeed.

I was alluding to the tendency we have for self guilt ,lack of confidence ,squabbling and hypocrisy as evidenced by the famous Welsh dry sabbath days of old.

Ya hat ta be there

That's Calvinism for you. Got b*gger all to do with Christianity though Perch

Welsh non-Conformism on 23:24 - Oct 29 with 1504 viewsperchrockjack

But we were taught as Baptists you couldn't enter the Kingdom of God without accepted Vhrist as your personal saviour.

Basic stuff which has passed over many apart from you Bryn. Well done Sir.

We re above all this ,son

Welsh non-Conformism on 23:26 - Oct 29 with 1500 viewsDarran

Welsh non-Conformism on 23:24 - Oct 29 by perchrockjack

But we were taught as Baptists you couldn't enter the Kingdom of God without accepted Vhrist as your personal saviour.

Basic stuff which has passed over many apart from you Bryn. Well done Sir.

We re above all this ,son

Is that a Hindu God?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Welsh non-Conformism on 15:43 - Oct 31 with 1415 viewsLohengrin

Welsh non-Conformism on 23:38 - Oct 28 by Brynmill_Jack

To the OP - no, we don't need another 1904. The Church of Christ that flourishes and is kept alive by it's sacraments is one of a Catholic hue, be it high Anglican, Roman or Orthodox.

Most Chapels are nowadays being converted either in to curry houses, mosques or private homes as the congregations die out. This is the result of protestant rationalism which has no spirit or belief in anything other than scientific thought to sustain it.

People need more than what protestantism can give.

What are you saying, Bryn? That in your opinion people crave certainty and the need to be told what to think because the prospect of doing so for themselves terrifies them?

Look around you, old son. You don't have to look any further than this board to see we're still a nation of contrarians that both values free-thought and exercises the ability to use it with relish.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2016 17:57]

Welsh non-Conformism on 18:30 - Oct 31 with 1361 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Welsh non-Conformism on 15:43 - Oct 31 by Lohengrin

What are you saying, Bryn? That in your opinion people crave certainty and the need to be told what to think because the prospect of doing so for themselves terrifies them?

Look around you, old son. You don't have to look any further than this board to see we're still a nation of contrarians that both values free-thought and exercises the ability to use it with relish.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2016 17:57]

Non conformism is dead . That's what I'm saying. And the general protestant movement is in trouble - and I'm not even bringing the Anglicans in on this.

I'm not told what to believe or think. I find that kind of funny considering the king James Bible has been made to fit the narrative of the time. Ever since then inch by inch things have moved away from the original practices and meanings. Reformation, Trent, Vatican 1&2 - they're all symptoms of rebellion and counter rebellion that have dragged the entire western church down a more narrowing and barren spiritual path .

Welsh non-Conformism on 18:43 - Oct 31 with 1352 viewsperchrockjack

Pretty eloquent post ,Bryn and I'm greatful for the replies.

I believe it was at the very core of Wales prior to the seventies when we all lost our marbles.

There was until recently a a Welsh Calvinist chapel in Birkenhead.

Some will be aware of an Eisteddfod being held in Birkemhead Park in the twenties, I do believe.

Welsh non-Conformism on 23:54 - Nov 3 with 1281 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Welsh non-Conformism on 18:43 - Oct 31 by perchrockjack

I believe it was at the very core of Wales prior to the seventies when we all lost our marbles.

Some will be aware of an Eisteddfod being held in Birkemhead Park in the twenties, I do believe.

At the risk of being labelled sexist and mysioginistic I was appalled to hear that the "Archbishop" of Wales (Anglican communion) Dr Barry Morgan has got his wish at last and forced the election of the first female Bishop in Wales.

When the laity voted against this the last time he was full of scorn for the decision, hinting that he would keep balloting the laity until he got HIS desired outcome"one day the vote will go our way".

And in St David's of all places.

Welsh non-Conformism on 13:41 - Nov 4 with 1234 viewslondonlisa2001

Welsh non-Conformism on 23:54 - Nov 3 by Brynmill_Jack

At the risk of being labelled sexist and mysioginistic I was appalled to hear that the "Archbishop" of Wales (Anglican communion) Dr Barry Morgan has got his wish at last and forced the election of the first female Bishop in Wales.

When the laity voted against this the last time he was full of scorn for the decision, hinting that he would keep balloting the laity until he got HIS desired outcome"one day the vote will go our way".

And in St David's of all places.

How could anyone think that someone being 'appalled' at the ordaining of a woman Bishop was sexist or misogynistic? I can't imagine.

As an aside, the biggest growing movements within Christianity both in the West and elsewhere are evangelical and Pentecostal, not catholic.
Welsh non-Conformism on 17:51 - Nov 4 with 1202 viewsProfessor

Welsh non-Conformism on 18:43 - Oct 31 by perchrockjack

More than once-first in the 1860s and certainly up to the 1920s Birkenhead Park hosted the Eisteddfod. Most famously in 1917 when 'Hedd Wyn" was crowned bard. Unfortunately we had been killed in action in France and the chair draped in black cloth became known as the Black Chair of Birkenhead. There is a small but informative display in the Museum of Liverpool Life on the Welsh influence in Merseyside and the role of the chapel. It is an excellent museum.
I agree non-conformist religon has had a big imfluence on the Welsh psyche-both positive in a sense of belonging or hireath but also negatively in lacking the self confidence that exists in south east England. I am from an Anglican background so I think it has affected me less than many others. I guess my generation were the last to feel this growing up in the 70s. I believe the Thatcher government killed much of these community identities throughout the UK for the worse and the better.
Welsh non-Conformism on 18:46 - Nov 4 with 1179 viewstrampie

The Welsh could all read and write because of chapels the rest of the World were twp in comparison.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Welsh non-Conformism on 19:01 - Nov 4 with 1170 viewsLohengrin

Welsh non-Conformism on 18:46 - Nov 4 by trampie

The Welsh could all read and write because of chapels the rest of the World were twp in comparison.

Are you trying to tell me that Leanne didn't have a hand in the promotion of popular literacy?

Welsh non-Conformism on 19:30 - Nov 4 with 1149 viewstrampie

Welsh non-Conformism on 19:01 - Nov 4 by Lohengrin

Are you trying to tell me that Leanne didn't have a hand in the promotion of popular literacy?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024