Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How One Man’s Bad Math Helped Ruin Decades Of English Soccer 20:22 - Oct 27 with 1577 viewsNeiltheTaylor

There was no Opta back in 1950, no Total Shots Ratio, no Expected Goals. But there was Reep, who took it upon himself to attend every Swindon Town F.C. match that season – sometimes with a miner’s helmet on his head to better illuminate his notes – and meticulously scribble down play-by-play diagrams of how everything went down. More than 60 years before player-tracking cameras became all the rage in pro sports, Reep was mapping out primitive spatial data the old-fashioned way, by hand.

Poring over all the scraps of data he’d collected, Reep eventually came to a realization: Most goals in soccer come off of plays that were preceded by three passes or fewer. And in Reep’s mind, this basic truth of the game should dictate how teams play. The key to winning more matches seemed to be as simple as cutting down on your passing and possession time, and getting the ball downfield as quickly as possible instead. The long ball was Reep’s secret weapon.

“Not more than three passes,” Reep admonished during a 1993 interview with the BBC. “If a team tries to play football and keeps it down to not more than three passes, it will have a much higher chance of winning matches. Passing for the sake of passing can be disastrous.”

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-one-mans-bad-math-helped-ruin-decades-of

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

How One Man’s Bad Math Helped Ruin Decades Of English Soccer on 20:37 - Oct 27 with 1547 viewsairedale

Don't knock it, Leicester won the PL last season last year using it.
How One Man’s Bad Math Helped Ruin Decades Of English Soccer on 20:44 - Oct 27 with 1535 viewsGroo

Maths not math, or has American ownership skewered the way it spelt.

Groo does what Groo does best

How One Man’s Bad Math Helped Ruin Decades Of English Soccer on 20:46 - Oct 27 with 1527 viewslonglostjack

I wonder what Bill Shankly would have made of that article.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

How One Man’s Bad Math Helped Ruin Decades Of English Soccer on 21:07 - Oct 27 with 1482 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Or Garry Monk

How One Man’s Bad Math Helped Ruin Decades Of English Soccer on 21:09 - Oct 27 with 1471 viewsunion_jack

How One Man’s Bad Math Helped Ruin Decades Of English Soccer on 20:44 - Oct 27 by Groo

Plus: soccer, off of, realiZation.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

How One Man’s Bad Math Helped Ruin Decades Of English Soccer on 21:11 - Oct 27 with 1459 viewslonglostjack

How One Man’s Bad Math Helped Ruin Decades Of English Soccer on 21:07 - Oct 27 by NeiltheTaylor

Or Garry Monk

Define Legend

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

How One Man’s Bad Math Helped Ruin Decades Of English Soccer on 21:24 - Oct 27 with 1436 viewstrampie

England enjoying all the benefits of a home World cup [refs, moving semi-final venue, ghost goal etc] they played without wingers and without an injured talented centre forward.
Seems this circumstance lead them to believe playing 4-4-2 with workman like players was the way to achieve success, 50 years later they still have not moved on.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

How One Man’s Bad Math Helped Ruin Decades Of English Soccer on 21:32 - Oct 27 with 1408 viewsLoyal

How One Man’s Bad Math Helped Ruin Decades Of English Soccer on 21:07 - Oct 27 by NeiltheTaylor

Or Garry Monk

He is the new Nick Cusack.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Login to get fewer ads

How One Man’s Bad Math Helped Ruin Decades Of English Soccer on 00:29 - Oct 28 with 1278 viewsShonky

When I first read that I thought it said " How one mans bad breath ruined decades of English Soccer"

Its just a ride...

How One Man’s Bad Math Helped Ruin Decades Of English Soccer on 00:55 - Oct 28 with 1261 viewsWarwickHunt

How One Man’s Bad Math Helped Ruin Decades Of English Soccer on 00:29 - Oct 28 by Shonky

When I first read that I thought it said " How one mans bad breath ruined decades of English Soccer"

Ali Tosis.
How One Man’s Bad Math Helped Ruin Decades Of English Soccer on 04:17 - Oct 28 with 1209 viewsNeiltheTaylor

How One Man’s Bad Math Helped Ruin Decades Of English Soccer on 00:29 - Oct 28 by Shonky

Haha - the Alex Ferguson story

How One Man’s Bad Math Helped Ruin Decades Of English Soccer on 14:56 - Oct 28 with 1070 viewsGlyn1

How One Man’s Bad Math Helped Ruin Decades Of English Soccer on 20:44 - Oct 27 by Groo

You're complaining that an American article on an American website is written in American?

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024