Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Falling asleep at the wheel 23:33 - Dec 7 with 2570 viewsLord_Bony

Be careful.

Had a bad experience this evening. Driving down a dual carriageway 70mph and momentarily nodded off and almost hit the inside barrier.
I don't know if it was the brains auto pilot mechanism that kicked in after going over the bumps on the white line marker or something else but I had nodded off while driving for a second or two and just narrowly missed the inside barrier as it curved round a bend.

I'm just telling this as a warning,if you are fatigued with lack of sleep from night before be careful.

You may think you're ok driving but the brain can switch off and sleep while your eyes are still open. It's known as a mini sleep and can last between 2 to 6 seconds and is especially common amongst shift workers.

If I hadn't woke in time,with literally a second to react,I don't think I'd be here writing this now.

Tiredness kills. Just as dangerous as drink driving. I will certainly take precautions in future to make sure it does not happen again.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/think-fatigue

https://goo.gl/images/DPii10

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Falling asleep at the wheel on 23:36 - Dec 7 with 2186 viewsDarran

You should have taken precautions before today you could have killed someone you bloody nutter.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Falling asleep at the wheel on 23:38 - Dec 7 with 2179 viewsmonmouth

Fred Goodwin once accused me of that....or rather warned me against it....

edit oh I see you really fell asleep at the wheel! The dangerous thing to do is pass a services when you are feeling a bit drowsy, because you feel ok at the services. As soon as you pass it doubles. Stop, put the seat back, phone alarm on, 15 mins nap, you'll be as right as rain.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2016 23:41]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Falling asleep at the wheel on 23:42 - Dec 7 with 2171 viewsLord_Bony

Falling asleep at the wheel on 23:36 - Dec 7 by Darran

You should have taken precautions before today you could have killed someone you bloody nutter.

Hey come on,this could happen to anyone,I'm just putting this up here to highlight the danger.

I felt fine when I set off on my journey.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Falling asleep at the wheel on 23:43 - Dec 7 with 2168 viewsmax936

Used to happen to me back in my days when I'd go off fishing down west and come back early hours, lads would be kipping and I'd momentarily nod off, luckily the roads were quiet, I solved the problem though I stopped going fishing at silly o clock, it was ok when I used to go to Aberthaw, Monk Nash, Ogmore etc as roads were twisty and you had to concentrate being on the Motorway is not so good though as its easier driving.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Falling asleep at the wheel on 23:43 - Dec 7 with 2164 viewsDarran

Falling asleep at the wheel on 23:42 - Dec 7 by Lord_Bony

Hey come on,this could happen to anyone,I'm just putting this up here to highlight the danger.

I'm glad you're ok though Paul. (((HUGS)))

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Falling asleep at the wheel on 23:45 - Dec 7 with 2160 viewsLord_Bony

Falling asleep at the wheel on 23:48 - Dec 7 with 2150 viewsLord_Bony

An estimated 300 people a year are killed in the U.K. while falling asleep at the wheel.

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/community-and-living/cornwall-fire-and-rescue-servic

Falling asleep at the wheel on 23:53 - Dec 7 with 2141 viewsLord_Bony

Falling asleep at the wheel on 23:43 - Dec 7 by max936

Used to happen to me back in my days when I'd go off fishing down west and come back early hours, lads would be kipping and I'd momentarily nod off, luckily the roads were quiet, I solved the problem though I stopped going fishing at silly o clock, it was ok when I used to go to Aberthaw, Monk Nash, Ogmore etc as roads were twisty and you had to concentrate being on the Motorway is not so good though as its easier driving.

Yes motorway driving is monotonous and this is where it's easiest to nod off while "still awake".

Modern cars provid a nice,warm,cozy comfort zone. Add to that some soft dreamy music late at night and it's a disaster waiting to happen sometimes.

Login to get fewer ads

Falling asleep at the wheel on 00:02 - Dec 8 with 2129 viewsItchySphincter

Falling asleep at the wheel on 23:42 - Dec 7 by Lord_Bony

Well it wasn't your brains that woke you up.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Falling asleep at the wheel on 00:16 - Dec 8 with 2105 viewsLord_Bony

Maybe it was divine intervention from above mate.

Whatever it was I'm thankful.

Falling asleep at the wheel on 00:18 - Dec 8 with 2102 viewsBanosswan

Have a sleep apnoea check

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Falling asleep at the wheel on 06:08 - Dec 8 with 1970 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Falling asleep at the wheel on 00:18 - Dec 8 by Banosswan

This X100. Bound to be the problem. I've suffered from this for 15 years , had rhinoplasty and may need further throat surgery in the coming year.

This is very bad for general health anyway and cause stroke.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Falling asleep at the wheel on 08:36 - Dec 8 with 1865 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Falling asleep at the wheel on 00:18 - Dec 8 by Banosswan

Correct.

I sleep with a CPAP machine and it changed my life and I no longer fall asleep all over the place because I wasn't getting enough proper sleep at night. I had no idea this was the case at the time.

It's worrying how many people out there are unaware that they have sleep apnoea and they're driving around liable to fall asleep at the wheel.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Falling asleep at the wheel on 09:15 - Dec 8 with 1825 viewsPegojack

Falling asleep at the wheel on 23:38 - Dec 7 by monmouth

Fred Goodwin once accused me of that....or rather warned me against it....

edit oh I see you really fell asleep at the wheel! The dangerous thing to do is pass a services when you are feeling a bit drowsy, because you feel ok at the services. As soon as you pass it doubles. Stop, put the seat back, phone alarm on, 15 mins nap, you'll be as right as rain.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2016 23:41]

This.

In the short term, open the window a bit and get a blast of cold air in your face, suck a mint, tune the radio to a non music station, then stop when safe and have a quick nap.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2016 9:15]
Falling asleep at the wheel on 09:46 - Dec 8 with 1783 viewsperchrockjack

Some tips.
Keep car cool, don't have heating on. Hard I know but it makes one drowsy.

Drive no more than two hours at a time, every time.

Don't nap DONT NAP. Get the feck outta the car

Play loud music, or music loudly .

Dont listen to radio discussions or plays

Better still, turn radio off and look at the vehicles on the road . Really look at them and the bellends driving on our roads.

Finally, avoid motorways if at all possible

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Falling asleep at the wheel on 09:55 - Dec 8 with 1770 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Falling asleep at the wheel should be a criminal offence with serious punishment.

You could have easily killed tens of people.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Falling asleep at the wheel on 10:01 - Dec 8 with 1764 viewsMurph75

Glad you're alright and thanks for sharing. It must have been a pretty scary experience.
Falling asleep at the wheel on 10:21 - Dec 8 with 1734 viewsLord_Bony

Falling asleep at the wheel on 10:01 - Dec 8 by Murph75

Glad you're alright and thanks for sharing. It must have been a pretty scary experience.

Thanks.

It was a new one for me in that I momentarily slept whith eyes wide open,that is the dangerous bit,never happened before.

Certainly a "Scrooge" type moment today,happy to be here with no damage done.

Switching off while driving are the worse accidents....usually very high impact because no braking is involved.

I repeat, this could happen to anyone of us,no one is infallible here.

Be careful when driving late at night,especially on motorways.

Falling asleep at the wheel on 10:49 - Dec 8 with 1700 viewsBanosswan

Falling asleep at the wheel on 08:36 - Dec 8 by Joe_bradshaw

Correct.

I sleep with a CPAP machine and it changed my life and I no longer fall asleep all over the place because I wasn't getting enough proper sleep at night. I had no idea this was the case at the time.

It's worrying how many people out there are unaware that they have sleep apnoea and they're driving around liable to fall asleep at the wheel.

Current estimates are 80% of people are undiagnosed. Part of my job is testing for and treating obstructive sleep apnoea, it's only now becoming more understood by the public.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Falling asleep at the wheel on 12:05 - Dec 8 with 1648 viewsCountyJim

Travelled between Newport and Port Talbot for years after nights as well

I found dont make yourself to comfortable when driving loud music and if your really struggling window down and pull over when safe
Falling asleep at the wheel on 15:14 - Dec 8 with 1559 viewsKingstonJack

Agree with the tips:

Windows down
Loud music
Read the car number plates models colours etc to yourself. Road signs even.

If you anticipate being tired, night shift for example, then strong coffee before journey.

Thanks for sharing Lord Bony. The wise learn from the mistakes of others
Falling asleep at the wheel on 16:16 - Dec 8 with 1530 viewscontroversial_jack

Falling asleep at the wheel on 15:14 - Dec 8 by KingstonJack

Agree with the tips:

Windows down
Loud music
Read the car number plates models colours etc to yourself. Road signs even.

If you anticipate being tired, night shift for example, then strong coffee before journey.

Thanks for sharing Lord Bony. The wise learn from the mistakes of others

As someone who has worked shifts for 40 years, and had to drive an hour each way, it is extremely difficult on time to stop yourself nodding off. There were will be times when you have had a shit sleep before your early start and times when you had little sleep before your night shift.

We are all human and driving unsociable hours is not natural. and unavoidable if you work shift. Despite all the good intentioned advice, keep the heating off, loud music etc, you don't always get warnings. You can be fine one minute and the next you can momentarily nod off. This is common with shift workers

Those who say you shouldn't, and of course you shouldn't , have never been ion this position regularly

Truck drivers are the worst, Travel on any motorway at 4 am and you will see truck drivers regularly swaying from side to side
Falling asleep at the wheel on 19:06 - Dec 8 with 1442 viewsGroo

I remember when I worked at Ford in Jersey Marine in the early 80's, 4 guys off night shift died when the car they were in veered into an oncoming lorry.

They were car sharing and the driver fell asleep on the way home in the morning.

Groo does what Groo does best

Falling asleep at the wheel on 21:30 - Dec 8 with 1380 viewsWxmJax

Red bull and chocolate before any long journey now regardless of how I feel. Happened to me once as well.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Falling asleep at the wheel on 12:51 - Dec 9 with 1257 viewsLord_Bony

Falling asleep at the wheel on 21:30 - Dec 8 by WxmJax

Red bull and chocolate before any long journey now regardless of how I feel. Happened to me once as well.

Would love to but I have to watch my figure....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024