Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Computer Virus 15:51 - Dec 8 with 1233 viewsmonmouth

Or rather, anti-virus. Any teckky competent type know the up to date thinking on this? The McAfee stuff that came free with my PC expires in January. Do I need to buy this stuff or are free ones good enough? What do you guys do?

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Computer Virus on 15:52 - Dec 8 with 1230 viewsMurph75

Never paid for anti virus software. Always used AVG

http://www.avg.com/gb-en/homepage
Computer Virus on 17:16 - Dec 8 with 1182 viewsepaul

Computer Virus on 15:52 - Dec 8 by Murph75

Never paid for anti virus software. Always used AVG

http://www.avg.com/gb-en/homepage

Ditto, got on all my devices, never once had a problem

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Computer Virus on 19:12 - Dec 8 with 1126 viewsmonmouth

Thanks both. That's me sorted then. Have a virtual beer. If we ever meet it'll be a real one!

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Computer Virus on 19:28 - Dec 8 with 1111 viewsjack2jack

Got to be honest if it's a PC windows defender plus cc cleaner will probably suffice,found AVG very good on my old PC but slowed it down a bit.
Computer Virus on 19:36 - Dec 8 with 1094 viewsMurph75

Computer Virus on 19:12 - Dec 8 by monmouth

Thanks both. That's me sorted then. Have a virtual beer. If we ever meet it'll be a real one!

You're welcome monmouth
Computer Virus on 23:17 - Dec 8 with 1021 viewsJack123

Computer Virus on 19:28 - Dec 8 by jack2jack

Got to be honest if it's a PC windows defender plus cc cleaner will probably suffice,found AVG very good on my old PC but slowed it down a bit.

True, it was good a few years ago, now it just seems to want to spam the shi* out of you!

Once they start a promotion, it's relentless :( and always seems to come at the most inconvenient time..still it's free, and only takes a second or so to get rid of their pop up..

libera nos a malo

Computer Virus on 23:22 - Dec 8 with 1018 viewsDan_Swan

If you are with Sky they offer 12 months with McAfee free.

Still following Dr's orders!

Computer Virus on 23:29 - Dec 8 with 1006 viewsphact0rri

I prefer avast, they seem to get the definitions quicker than AVG from experience. But Avast can be a bit of a resource guzzler, so its not for everyone's machine.

The other benefit is the boot time scan, so that if you have virus' that are locked into memory on start up. For AVG and doing a boot time scan you have to create a rescue CD and go through a few steps to sort it.

For me, if a PC has decent specs its Avast every day of the week. But if its underpar, you can do worse than AVG.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Login to get fewer ads

Computer Virus on 23:29 - Dec 8 with 1005 viewsSoberBaker

The likes of McAfee & Norton are utter shyte. They bloat f*ck out of your computer and eat away at the CPU.

All you need is Windows defender and Malwarebytes free edition. Just update and scan regularly.

AMOW

Computer Virus on 23:47 - Dec 8 with 985 viewsairedale

Computer Virus on 23:29 - Dec 8 by phact0rri

I prefer avast, they seem to get the definitions quicker than AVG from experience. But Avast can be a bit of a resource guzzler, so its not for everyone's machine.

The other benefit is the boot time scan, so that if you have virus' that are locked into memory on start up. For AVG and doing a boot time scan you have to create a rescue CD and go through a few steps to sort it.

For me, if a PC has decent specs its Avast every day of the week. But if its underpar, you can do worse than AVG.

Yes A vast can be a bit of a resource guzzler, slows you down a bit, that's why they call it 'Avast Behind'.
Computer Virus on 23:47 - Dec 8 with 985 viewsphact0rri

Computer Virus on 23:29 - Dec 8 by SoberBaker

The likes of McAfee & Norton are utter shyte. They bloat f*ck out of your computer and eat away at the CPU.

All you need is Windows defender and Malwarebytes free edition. Just update and scan regularly.

I prefer to have sandboxes, and realtime scanning when I'm doing email and websurfing *shrugs* Just need to make sure its not mailing home.

Though eating at your processor is a funny turn of phrase. See the way windows deals with process threads is by marking it of importance. And if your doing something (ie a normal priority or active software) that needs the processor more it'll scale down the threads that aren't vital (like virus scanning). On windows your bigger concern for resource is memory management.. or windows lack there of. :)

If you are having CPU usage areas its best to go into your task manager and elevate or deflate the priorities on those programs.

Computer Virus on 23:54 - Dec 8 with 976 viewsJack123

Computer Virus on 23:29 - Dec 8 by SoberBaker

So do you reckon it's all bullsh*t with this anti virus? They seem to promote quite heavily the shopping online experience, keep your identity safe and all that, but Iv'e used avg free for years, and so far (touch wood) nothing untoward has has happened.. It seem's all bs to me, these days even your search provider is warning you of malicious sites before you click on a link, before your anti virus blocks it.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2016 23:57]

libera nos a malo

Computer Virus on 23:58 - Dec 8 with 970 viewsSoberBaker

Computer Virus on 23:54 - Dec 8 by Jack123

So do you reckon it's all bullsh*t with this anti virus? They seem to promote quite heavily the shopping online experience, keep your identity safe and all that, but Iv'e used avg free for years, and so far (touch wood) nothing untoward has has happened.. It seem's all bs to me, these days even your search provider is warning you of malicious sites before you click on a link, before your anti virus blocks it.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2016 23:57]

I reckon half of it is BS. I'm sure they dream up a few 'threats' just to justify themselves and to make the user happy that the tool is doing its job.

Let's face it. Noone is 100% safe online. Most of it boils down to simple common sense.

AMOW

Computer Virus on 00:31 - Dec 9 with 951 viewsphact0rri

Depends on your usage rate, and how well you can discern attacks. To be fair there's a lot of things you pick up that are infecting your machine in not so obvious ways. There are many backdoors, dataminers, etc that can pop in and you have no idea they have you. There are malicious things like bots that search out email spools, or small little programs that send over little pieces of process to help create a piecemeal work horse for bitcoin mining, password thuggery, etc.

I find small things on the machine's at work constantly. People complaining the database isn't coming up fast enough or data send is bottlenecking during back ups at work to clue me in.

Is there some BS on threats, maybe? But there's enough going around to keep us IT types busy most days.

Computer Virus on 12:45 - Dec 9 with 868 viewsjack2jack

Just keep away from dodgy sites(not saying you don't), you'll be fine, malware bytes is good too as previously mentioned.
Computer Virus on 12:52 - Dec 9 with 865 viewsskippyjack

You don't particularly need it.. another money making initiative for big corporations to fleece the people..

Windows 10 is pretty much built for privacy.. just don't click on any f*cked up websites.. just bookmark, block and monitor your system using firewall.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Computer Virus on 14:24 - Dec 9 with 836 viewsMurph75

Computer Virus on 12:52 - Dec 9 by skippyjack

You don't particularly need it.. another money making initiative for big corporations to fleece the people..

Windows 10 is pretty much built for privacy.. just don't click on any f*cked up websites.. just bookmark, block and monitor your system using firewall.

AVG is free......
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024