Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace 17:21 - Jan 4 with 3385 viewsWandererJack

I have seen a lot of posts on the forum that have stated that it would be a 'miracle' if we stayed up and up until the final whistle last night I would have leaning towards the same thought.

I don't think it would be a miracle if we stayed up and is very do-able if Clement is a solid manager and we can recruit a centre half, midfielder and winger in this transfer window.

In reality, all we have to do is gain one more point than Sunderland and two more than Palace over the remaining 18 games. It wouldn't be the biggest surprise in the world if that happened in my view. We've got tough fixtures coming up but all the other teams around us have to play the top teams too.

Obviously we need to be a lot more like last night's Swans as opposed to Bob Bradley's Swans to achieve safety but it's by no means a done deal that we're down. As $hit as we've been, Sunderland, Palace and Hull are just as bad.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2017 17:36]
Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 17:30 - Jan 4 with 3346 viewsSwaneeRiver

If we can play with pride an conviction over the next 6 matches and gain a few points here and there, then we will in my opinion have the confidence to go on and get the points needed to finish in the safety zone.
I'd like to see a few additions, but most imporantly would like to see the current group of players get back the belief in themselves.
Yesterday was a great start up that road.
Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 17:45 - Jan 4 with 3275 viewsswanaway

Our chances of staying up are infinitely better after last night. Still need a couple of defenders, a midfielder, and another striker especially if Baston goes.
Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 18:12 - Jan 4 with 3182 viewsjohnlangy

Good OP. My thoughts as well.

Putting it in a slightly different way to Wanderjack, everyone talks about 40 points for survival but mid 30's usually does it. So lets say 36 points will keep us up which means 7 wins. Hull would need 7 wins and 2 draws, Sunderland would also need 7 wins and CP would need 6 wins and two draws.

Then when you take into account that Hull and Sunderland won't be spending much in Jan, from what we've heard, whereas we hopefully will. The Mirror said £30 m. I was told the same as long as we're in a decent position which is exactly what that result last night has done. Put us in a decent position. It was massive.

If we do spend that £30 m and end up with a quality CB, DM and winger. Also maybe a loan or two (look at the quality Bournemouth have in Wilshere and Ake as an example). If that happened i'd be ecstatic.

And very confident.
Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 18:15 - Jan 4 with 3156 viewsperplex

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 17:45 - Jan 4 by swanaway

Our chances of staying up are infinitely better after last night. Still need a couple of defenders, a midfielder, and another striker especially if Baston goes.

Three going down out of Our Selves, Hull, Sunderland, Palace, Middlesbro, and hopefully one of the others like Watford, Burnley will fall away and enter the mix, so i`m hopeful.
Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 18:51 - Jan 4 with 3041 viewsPrivate_Partz

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 17:45 - Jan 4 by swanaway

It was true six pointer. We are right on the tail of CP now whereas we would have been 7 points behind them had we lost. Couple this with an obvious improvement in performance and greater dialogue with the Trust then optimism has to increase. We still need a good window to support Clem and Jenkins needs to be out of the door ASAP but we are in a much better place now. Amazing what one game can do. Albeit this was a vital one.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 19:04 - Jan 4 with 2979 viewsdeanscfc

We need to get at least 5-6 points from those next 6 games and we need to recruit well in January. If se had lost last night then it might have sealed a very early relegation.
Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 19:54 - Jan 4 with 2868 viewsjack2jack

I think it's still going to be tough, especially with the up coming fixtures, but I have to say that with the new man coming in,I feel infinitely more confident,and considering last night's performance,it's only a pity that we p***ed away 11 games with Bradley at the helm,what ever happened while he was here,certainly didn't help our cause,just hope we can pull it back,we need at least 23 points for safety from here on in.
Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 20:46 - Jan 4 with 2773 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

15 pts half way

It will be one of the great escapes

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Login to get fewer ads

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 20:55 - Jan 4 with 2728 viewskarnataka

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 19:54 - Jan 4 by jack2jack

I think it's still going to be tough, especially with the up coming fixtures, but I have to say that with the new man coming in,I feel infinitely more confident,and considering last night's performance,it's only a pity that we p***ed away 11 games with Bradley at the helm,what ever happened while he was here,certainly didn't help our cause,just hope we can pull it back,we need at least 23 points for safety from here on in.

Look at it this way, we just about kept pace with 3 or 4 other teams with Bradley at the helm. Now we've improved in the managerial department, we may be able to improve our position relative to those other teams although Hull will have a new manager soon so maybe just as well we put a bit of daylight between us and them last night. We are still in touch now, it's up to us.
Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 20:57 - Jan 4 with 2718 viewsNatterjack

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 20:46 - Jan 4 by oh_tommy_tommy

15 pts half way

Considering how bad we've been under Ronald the last 10 games, to pick up 6 or 7 more points in the 2nd half of the season more than the 1st is definitely do-able.

We're still knee deep in cach but I'm a lot happier today than this time yesterday - at least we can play football and fight.
Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 21:01 - Jan 4 with 2695 viewsDr_Winston

The odds still have to be on us taking the drop. The three months and eleven games wasted under Bradley may well have f*cked us no matter how good Clement may or may not be.

If Clement can fix some of the performance issues and add a couple of players that HE wants then even if we do go down we'll be in a better position to mount an immediate assault on coming straight back up.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 21:03 - Jan 4 with 2680 viewsBloodyhills

WIth Bob at the helm we were only going in one direction and that was down but I think we may have a fighting chance now.

We desperately need some decent signings, particularly a centre back.

What is frustrating is that we were just starting to put some decent performances together under Guidolin and I think we could have at least got another couple of wins and draws.

As it is we have wasted a block of matches. Sickening really.

[Post edited 4 Jan 2017 22:32]

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 21:12 - Jan 4 with 2644 viewsmorningstar

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 20:46 - Jan 4 by oh_tommy_tommy

15 pts half way

It's not half way. 20 played, 18 left. We had 12 at half way.

We've won 4 games out of those 20. Palace twice, Burnley, and Sunderland. We won last night and it gives us hope, but it's still going to take a huge improvement in the second half of the season, to save our status as a Premier league club. Can we do it? Yes of course, will we? Personally speaking, no i don't think we will. Always remembering that we need to at least double our tally from the first half of the season. Winning last night doesn't help the stats, as we won our first game of the season at Burnley. Last night was a false dawn unless something dramatically positive happens.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 21:18 - Jan 4 with 2614 viewsStarsky

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 21:01 - Jan 4 by Dr_Winston

The odds still have to be on us taking the drop. The three months and eleven games wasted under Bradley may well have f*cked us no matter how good Clement may or may not be.

If Clement can fix some of the performance issues and add a couple of players that HE wants then even if we do go down we'll be in a better position to mount an immediate assault on coming straight back up.

I agree with your sentiments but I think if we spend wisely we could climb the table.
Watford are hurtling down the table and I think they could easily end up bottom 3.

I reckon we can finish above Sunderland, Watford, & Hull.

I think Crystal Palace might get their act together but can be caught.

It's just the internet, init.

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 21:28 - Jan 4 with 2574 viewsPrivate_Partz

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 21:12 - Jan 4 by morningstar

It's not half way. 20 played, 18 left. We had 12 at half way.

We've won 4 games out of those 20. Palace twice, Burnley, and Sunderland. We won last night and it gives us hope, but it's still going to take a huge improvement in the second half of the season, to save our status as a Premier league club. Can we do it? Yes of course, will we? Personally speaking, no i don't think we will. Always remembering that we need to at least double our tally from the first half of the season. Winning last night doesn't help the stats, as we won our first game of the season at Burnley. Last night was a false dawn unless something dramatically positive happens.

Can't argue with a lot of that although you talk as if we are already cut adrift. All our relegation rivals are in the same boat with the same demands on them

We are right in the mix and have the impetus of a new manager with alleged money to spend to strengthen in the window.
I also think this season could be one of the lowest stay up totals required sInce the formation of this league .

It's going to be tough. We need a good window but it is doable now. I thought we were buried and stuck with Bob infinitum 2 weeks ago

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 21:56 - Jan 4 with 2511 viewsmonmouth

Yes PP is on the money I reckon. I don't remember any season where four teams have 16 points or less at this stage. 21 normally puts you in the relegation mix. We have more or less the same teams to play as the others, and if we could manage to beat boro at home we are effectively one point behind them too.

We are still deep in the shit and it can go either way, but we can do this now. We really can. A few days ago on New Year's Eve we looked dead and buried.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 22:01 - Jan 4 with 2500 viewsmorningstar

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 21:28 - Jan 4 by Private_Partz

Can't argue with a lot of that although you talk as if we are already cut adrift. All our relegation rivals are in the same boat with the same demands on them

We are right in the mix and have the impetus of a new manager with alleged money to spend to strengthen in the window.
I also think this season could be one of the lowest stay up totals required sInce the formation of this league .

It's going to be tough. We need a good window but it is doable now. I thought we were buried and stuck with Bob infinitum 2 weeks ago

Of course we're not cut adrift PP, the points tally tell us that. However, 12 points at the halfway stage tells the whole story. I made a similar post last season when at the halfway stage we were outside of the relegation zone, and whilst we did briefly slip it into it, I correctly predicted this time last year that we would stay up because of the points we'd gained in the first half of the season and also our GD compared to the other sides. All of those stats are against us this year, and they suggest strongly that we will go down.
But of course, there are exceptions to the rule. Let's hope Paul Clement has enough about him to make sure we are.

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 23:43 - Jan 4 with 2342 viewsAngelRangelQS

Last night was key really.

I suppose when it's all said and done, we've been utterly sh*t this season. If you're optimistic you can say that however bad it's been, we are still well in touch with a few other teams. If you're pessimistic then we have been terrible all season and so we're going down.

Personally all I've wanted is for us to be within touching distance going into January. A couple of good/lucky/inspired signings, some organisation from PC and we have as good a chance of staying up as anyone
Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 09:00 - Jan 5 with 2178 viewsDafyddHuw

I don't think we should be putting any pressure on PC here. It would be hard enough for him to get settled and get us points if he was coming here now and we were mid-table.

If he gets us to stay up, fantastic.
But if we go down, I'm not gonna judge him until we're half way through next season.

This appointment is the first sign of any common sense from the Board since the Laudrup appointment. Unfortunately for PC, the timing stinks. We're a basket case at the moment - 3 mnagers in 1 season ffs.

Thing is, if we are going down, along the way we'll beat the odd top 6 club and get the odd away result. Is this what happened at Selhurst, or was it truly the beginings of a reversal of fortunes?

Strap yourselves in guys and gals - it's the hope that kills.
Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 09:36 - Jan 5 with 2122 viewsjack247

Palace going 7 points ahead of us would probably have killed it. As it stands, there is still a bit of hope, but if I had to put money on it I'd still say we are going down.

Hopefully the transfer window is a game changer
Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 19:21 - Jan 5 with 1911 views3swan

Take each game as it comes

Big job to be done but If we ignore the top 6 bonus games, there are enough games to target, if performances and recruitment can give us a boost

Home

Southampton
Leicester
Burnley
M’Boro
Stoke
Everton
WBA

Away

Hull
B’mouth
WHU
Watford
Sunderland
Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 19:27 - Jan 5 with 1895 viewsmorningstar

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 19:21 - Jan 5 by 3swan

Take each game as it comes

Big job to be done but If we ignore the top 6 bonus games, there are enough games to target, if performances and recruitment can give us a boost

Home

Southampton
Leicester
Burnley
M’Boro
Stoke
Everton
WBA

Away

Hull
B’mouth
WHU
Watford
Sunderland

Yep, plenty of points there Clive. I was being optimistic and managed to pick out 14. That takes us to 29. Now, then about these top six sides?

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 19:29 - Jan 5 with 1884 views3swan

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 19:27 - Jan 5 by morningstar

Yep, plenty of points there Clive. I was being optimistic and managed to pick out 14. That takes us to 29. Now, then about these top six sides?

2 wins against the top sides as a bonus should just about see us safe

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 19:34 - Jan 5 with 1860 viewsmorningstar

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 19:29 - Jan 5 by 3swan

2 wins against the top sides as a bonus should just about see us safe

I knew that's what you meant, i was just trying too encourage you to be a bit more clearer.

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 19:37 - Jan 5 with 1847 views3swan

Our Chances of Staying Up Post-Palace on 19:34 - Jan 5 by morningstar

I knew that's what you meant, i was just trying too encourage you to be a bit more clearer.

Always hold a couple of comments back for discussion.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024