Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Claude Makelele 18:07 - Jan 25 with 14180 viewskarnataka

Talking to some mates about our defensive shape and organisation against Liverpool, we were wondering how much input Claude had. If he played a major part in the massive improvement, CM might well turn out to be our best signing during this window.
Claude Makelele on 21:02 - Jan 25 with 7047 viewsoldcob

Strong character, with good working knowledge of the EPL. He must be a huge influence. Would you like to face him in the dressing room post match if you'd been shirking?
Claude Makelele on 21:17 - Jan 25 with 6962 viewsCooperman

Claude Makelele on 21:02 - Jan 25 by oldcob

Strong character, with good working knowledge of the EPL. He must be a huge influence. Would you like to face him in the dressing room post match if you'd been shirking?

Genuine question, is he a strong character? I don't recall him being particularly tough in his PL days. My underlying memory is him picking up the ball from the Chelsea back four and then moving it forward whilst never crossing the half way line. He owned the 25 yards between half way line and back four, hopefully he'll coach Cork and co to do the same.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2017 21:18]

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Claude Makelele on 21:27 - Jan 25 with 6882 viewsRancid

He looks like the most uninterested guy in the stadium when the cameras are on him.He did manage a wee smirk when we got the 2nd at Anfield though.

Im sure our defense will benefit while he's around.
Claude Makelele on 21:29 - Jan 25 with 6866 viewspencoedjack

PC got him in which is another positive in my book

The last gaffer got some fat bloke who was a shite player at derby
Claude Makelele on 21:36 - Jan 25 with 6815 viewsMorganator100

Claude Makelele on 21:29 - Jan 25 by pencoedjack

Is he still at the club or did he go with Bob?
Claude Makelele on 21:56 - Jan 25 with 6708 viewsEbo

Claude Makelele on 21:36 - Jan 25 by Morganator100

Is he still at the club or did he go with Bob?

No Williams is gone.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Claude Makelele on 21:57 - Jan 25 with 6686 viewsEbo

Claude Makelele on 21:17 - Jan 25 by Cooperman

Genuine question, is he a strong character? I don't recall him being particularly tough in his PL days. My underlying memory is him picking up the ball from the Chelsea back four and then moving it forward whilst never crossing the half way line. He owned the 25 yards between half way line and back four, hopefully he'll coach Cork and co to do the same.

For a small(ish) guy he was very strong on and off the ball. I remember him giving Ronaldinho a very hard 90 mins.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Claude Makelele on 22:02 - Jan 25 with 6645 viewsTheResurrection

Claude Makelele on 21:17 - Jan 25 by Cooperman

Makelele was a beast. One of the most intelligent footballers ever. No one better, probably ever, at what he did. The way he used his body to defend the ball and protect it and that drop shoulder shimmy to get that yard away from an opponent was a joy to watch. Almost no one got the better of him. A short guy wth long legs.

I've already said this on the Llorente thread but if anyone can help coach the above skills, and it's a big part of our problem, then he can.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Login to get fewer ads

Claude Makelele on 22:19 - Jan 25 with 6540 viewsjasper_T

Claude's a nice friendly chap (unless you're dating him).
Claude Makelele on 07:39 - Jan 26 with 6069 viewsjack247

He had intelligence, cardio and a lot of strength for a guy his size. Always in the right place, very rarely got beat and invariably just turned over possession and played a simple ball. No idea how good he is as a coach, but he was a superb player.
Claude Makelele on 07:54 - Jan 26 with 6026 views34dfgdf54

Claude Makelele on 21:27 - Jan 25 by Rancid

He looks like the most uninterested guy in the stadium when the cameras are on him.He did manage a wee smirk when we got the 2nd at Anfield though.

Im sure our defense will benefit while he's around.

For me he looked like someone who wanted to be standing up celebrating, but thought he needed to remain cool and calm as Clement was alongside him. But yeah, Makelele OUT for not jumping around looking "interested".

As for the other posts, quality footballer who teammates would have loved, ask Zidane and Figo. See Leon Britton at his very best, and multiply that by 20.
Claude Makelele on 07:55 - Jan 26 with 6023 viewsJFSwan

Its not called The Makalele Role for nothing
Claude Makelele on 07:58 - Jan 26 with 6018 viewsMoscowJack

Claude Makelele on 07:39 - Jan 26 by jack247

He had intelligence, cardio and a lot of strength for a guy his size. Always in the right place, very rarely got beat and invariably just turned over possession and played a simple ball. No idea how good he is as a coach, but he was a superb player.

As a player, he had no equal and I have yet to see someone come close to his ability since. His reading of the game, ability to win the ball, ensure possession was kept and be stronger than people 50% bigger than him was a joy to watch. Unfortunately, we didn't really understand the full value of what a real defensive midfielder did back in those days and it was Makele who forced us to see what was possible in that role. He changed the game (or how we watched it) in many ways.

I remember having a player in my team - he was Spanish, strong, had an excellent engine and was a good reader of the game. He was with Real Madrid as a young kid. His only problem was that he kept trying to play Hollywood passes every time he got the ball and 9/10 giving the ball away. I wanted him to play "dog" (as we called it) in front of my defence but he would keep giving the ball away almost every time he won it. Eventually I told him to watch Makele (who, about this time, had joined his Real Madrid team) and see what he did with the ball once he'd won it back. Two weeks later it was like having a different player on my team....! There was no better defensive midfielder in my league, all because he realised that if Makele can win the ball and give a short pass every time, so can I !

If Claude's got the personality and knowledge of how to get this across to the likes of Cork, Fulton, Ki, Fer and Carroll then these guys will improve a lot. Being a great player doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a good coach but I hope Clement has seen enough in him to be able to trust him to get his message across.

The Southampton game is going to be a huge test of whether we've really improved or Liverpool was just a one-off. It's a massive game!
[Post edited 26 Jan 2017 8:57]

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

Claude Makelele on 08:12 - Jan 26 with 5975 viewsmajorraglan

Claude Makelele on 21:56 - Jan 25 by Ebo

No Williams is gone.

Who actually signed Paul Williams as a defensive coach, was it Bb, or HJ and the scouting team, any ideas?
Claude Makelele on 08:23 - Jan 26 with 5935 viewskarnataka

Claude Makelele on 07:39 - Jan 26 by jack247

No, we don't know what he's like as a coach yet, it just seemed like it could be more than just coincidence that he joins us on 11th Jan and 10 days later we have a different defensive set up and look more organized.
Claude Makelele on 08:25 - Jan 26 with 5930 viewsDr_Winston

Claude Makelele on 21:56 - Jan 25 by Ebo

No Williams is gone.

Has he? Can't find any announcement other than the "looking for a different role" one.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Claude Makelele on 09:37 - Jan 26 with 5776 viewsjasper_T

Claude Makelele on 08:25 - Jan 26 by Dr_Winston

Has he? Can't find any announcement other than the "looking for a different role" one.

Gardening leave last I heard. Still on the payroll.
Claude Makelele on 09:49 - Jan 26 with 5729 viewsmacthejack

All well and good but from his interview Makelele can barely string a sentence together.

How's he meant to effectively communicate with the players?
Claude Makelele on 09:56 - Jan 26 with 5700 viewsDafyddHuw

Claude Makelele on 08:25 - Jan 26 by Dr_Winston

Go to the Trust website and ask.
Claude Makelele on 10:21 - Jan 26 with 5644 viewsPapaLazarou

Claude Makelele on 09:37 - Jan 26 by jasper_T

Gardening leave last I heard. Still on the payroll.

Yeah, it was made known to Paul Williams that there was no role for him about 3 weeks ago. Good work if you can get it...
Claude Makelele on 10:30 - Jan 26 with 5624 viewsmissingmel

Claude Makelele on 09:49 - Jan 26 by macthejack

All well and good but from his interview Makelele can barely string a sentence together.

How's he meant to effectively communicate with the players?

We are a team full of different nationalities you tool.
Claude Makelele on 10:39 - Jan 26 with 5598 viewsjacabertawe

Britishness...is a political synonym for Englishness which extends English culture over the Scots, the Welsh, and the Irish. - Gwynfor Evans

Claude Makelele on 10:42 - Jan 26 with 5576 viewsDarran

Claude Makelele on 21:29 - Jan 25 by pencoedjack

PC didn't get him in CM contacted the club asking for a job.

Just saying.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Claude Makelele on 10:49 - Jan 26 with 5558 viewsWarwickHunt

Claude Makelele on 10:42 - Jan 26 by Darran

PC didn't get him in CM contacted the club asking for a job.

Just saying.

"“I am really excited to be here and I am happy to start working at Swansea,” Makelele said. “Paul is my mentor. He has taught me a lot of things in my time working with him. When I heard he was back working in the Premier League, I phoned him and asked if I could help him at Swansea."

CM phoned PC.

Just saying.
Claude Makelele on 10:51 - Jan 26 with 5544 viewsDarran

Claude Makelele on 10:49 - Jan 26 by WarwickHunt

"“I am really excited to be here and I am happy to start working at Swansea,” Makelele said. “Paul is my mentor. He has taught me a lot of things in my time working with him. When I heard he was back working in the Premier League, I phoned him and asked if I could help him at Swansea."

CM phoned PC.

Just saying.

Basically what I said then çuntpipe.

Just saying again.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024