Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Builder - help needed 20:09 - Jan 26 with 1575 viewsPegojack

OK guys, a serious post, I'm relying on the Planet Swans community to help me out here. So called attempts at humour in response to this appeal will not be looked upon kindly.

My 84 year old mother lives on her own in a 1960s semi detached dormer bungalow in Baglan. A few days ago she found a very wet patch had appeared in a relatively small area of carpet at the entrance to the dining room, right in the middle of the house. Further investigation has revealed a lot of water on the concrete floor below the carpet with no obvious source. There's no obvious broken pipes round about, it's not dripping down from anywhere and we just don't know if there are any fractured pipes under this patch of concrete floor.

I'm asking for recommendations for an honest and reliable builder or some other qualified professional tradesman who could go and investigate, possibly as far as digging some of the floor up, finding the fault and fixing it.

I obviously don't want her to be ripped off or have some cowboy go in and make matters worse.

Please can anyone help?
Builder - help needed on 20:22 - Jan 26 with 1549 viewsjack2jack

Question are the internal walls solid construction of stud partition,if so there could be pipes running in the voids between the plaster boards,worth a check.
Builder - help needed on 20:28 - Jan 26 with 1535 viewsPegojack

Builder - help needed on 20:22 - Jan 26 by jack2jack

Question are the internal walls solid construction of stud partition,if so there could be pipes running in the voids between the plaster boards,worth a check.

Good point, I think they're solid but will check.
Builder - help needed on 20:43 - Jan 26 with 1490 viewsdameedna

Builder - help needed on 20:28 - Jan 26 by Pegojack

Good point, I think they're solid but will check.

Check the bathroom drainage connections and kitchen sink connection. If you can, turn off water at the mains and radiators and dry the floor with a heater. Put water back on.
Builder - help needed on 21:08 - Jan 26 with 1456 viewsDracan66

Check with the neighbours if they have the same design to see if they have any plans or had similar issues....long shot I know. Failing that the only cure is to dig up the floor in that area to investigate....the cold weather and age of the pipework are to blame I would think.
Builder - help needed on 21:14 - Jan 26 with 1442 viewsItchySphincter

Has she got a dog?

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Builder - help needed on 21:22 - Jan 26 with 1420 viewsexiledclaseboy

Builder - help needed on 21:14 - Jan 26 by ItchySphincter

Has she got a dog?

The OP has a serious problem that he has to sort for his elderly mother but that did genuinely make me lol. Thanks, Itchy.

Poll: Tory leader

Builder - help needed on 21:24 - Jan 26 with 1418 viewsGlyn1

Does the Council have a list of recommended traders - can you get any advice from them? If there's anyone here with a membership of WHICH magazine, they have a register of honest, local traders that they have approved of, can anyone look at that for you?

I know an 84-year man who lives locally, who is completely fully functioning, but who got ripped off by a conman builder who took him for £3,000 and a big repair bill from the damage he caused, so I do appreciate your worry.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Builder - help needed on 21:29 - Jan 26 with 1399 viewsjack2jack

If the floor has a damp proof membrane usually plastic,hard to see water ingress from below tbh,unless it's under pressure.Trouble is water can track from anywhere ,but usually gravity plays a part ie from high to low.,also wondering why pipes would be running directly under the floor slab,unless it's an extension and old pipes were not re-routed of course,digging up your floor would be the last resort,especially with your mum's age an all.
Login to get fewer ads

Builder - help needed on 21:34 - Jan 26 with 1376 viewsmorningstar

Builder - help needed on 21:22 - Jan 26 by exiledclaseboy

The OP has a serious problem that he has to sort for his elderly mother but that did genuinely make me lol. Thanks, Itchy.

I was going to go down the route of testing the water clarity as it could be part of the old Baglan spring and they could make a fvckin killing!.....But i didn't.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Builder - help needed on 21:56 - Jan 26 with 1337 viewsdickythorpe

Is it a condensation problem? Is there a window near this patch? Damp maybe has pooled down to this area?
I am currently in my second winter in a rented bungalow and will never entertain the idea of living in one again! Condensation in these winter months is unbelievable.
I've bought a humidifier and its done a bit of work but not to the quality I expected
Builder - help needed on 22:26 - Jan 26 with 1294 viewsmax936

Mike do you know if the Bungalows water supply is run below the area or near where the water has accumulated, if it does that could be the problem especially if its the old lead piping, see if its possible to sort of estimate as to where the run is from the position of the stop tap on the pavement, although I've a feeling that the supply would either come into the property near the front door or run down a side entrance and feed in at the back end of the building, either way while the weather is dry mop up water getting it as dry as you can then if possible leave the mains water isolated out on the pavement overnight or better still 24hrs or more if it re appears and any heating water hasn't drained then it ain't the water supply of other pipework.
With any heating its either fed from a feed and expansion tank small tank around 18"'s long by around 12"'s wide, if its a combie the pressure would have dropped, that in mind if it is a combie have you had to top-up the combie regularly lately?

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Builder - help needed on 22:32 - Jan 26 with 1280 viewsdickythorpe

Builder - help needed on 22:26 - Jan 26 by max936

Mike do you know if the Bungalows water supply is run below the area or near where the water has accumulated, if it does that could be the problem especially if its the old lead piping, see if its possible to sort of estimate as to where the run is from the position of the stop tap on the pavement, although I've a feeling that the supply would either come into the property near the front door or run down a side entrance and feed in at the back end of the building, either way while the weather is dry mop up water getting it as dry as you can then if possible leave the mains water isolated out on the pavement overnight or better still 24hrs or more if it re appears and any heating water hasn't drained then it ain't the water supply of other pipework.
With any heating its either fed from a feed and expansion tank small tank around 18"'s long by around 12"'s wide, if its a combie the pressure would have dropped, that in mind if it is a combie have you had to top-up the combie regularly lately?

Bloody hell max take a breath!!!!
Builder - help needed on 22:42 - Jan 26 with 1251 viewsmax936

Builder - help needed on 22:32 - Jan 26 by dickythorpe

Bloody hell max take a breath!!!!

I managed to breathe mun, my finger don't need to

Builder - help needed on 23:08 - Jan 26 with 1215 viewsDafyddHuw

Shadwell - there's an organisation that do exactly this.
They're called Care and Repair. They're non-profit and paid for by the Welsh Assembly.
They're set up to get cratfsmen out to the 60+, exactly what your mother needs.

When you ring them, someone will come out , have a look and send out an appropriate craftsman from their list of trusted tradesmen.

I've used them for my dad acouple of times. They're perfect. The guy who came out to my dad was obviously used to communicating with the eklderly, very patient, very honest, certainly not rip-off merchants.
The craftsmen they send out are empathetic to the elderly from my dad's experience, do a good job and rates are certainly reasonable.
Hope this helps, iust Google them for phone nos.

Edit: I forgot to say - the person who comes out originally will come out again about 3 months after the job's finished to see if all OK, and it's free. Well done the Welsh Assembly.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2017 23:15]
Builder - help needed on 23:15 - Jan 26 with 1201 viewsmax936

Builder - help needed on 23:08 - Jan 26 by DafyddHuw

They're called Care and Repair. They're non-profit and paid for by the Welsh Assembly.

When you ring them, someone will come out , have a look and send out an appropriate craftsman from their list of trusted tradesmen.

I've used them for my dad acouple of times. They're perfect. The guy who came out to my dad was obviously used to communicating with the eklderly, very patient, very honest, certainly not rip-off merchants.
The craftsmen they send out are empathetic to the elderly from my dad's experience, do a good job and rates are certainly reasonable.

Edit: I forgot to say - the person who comes out originally will come out again about 3 months after the job's finished to see if all OK, and it's free. Well done the Welsh Assembly.

Great Shout, they go to my Mam and Dads,

Builder - help needed on 23:26 - Jan 26 with 1182 viewsjack2jack

Builder - help needed on 23:15 - Jan 26 by max936

Tidy didn't know that service even existed,good news for the vulnerable and elderly.If it cuts down on the sharks out there,then even better
Builder - help needed on 00:15 - Jan 27 with 1147 viewsjackharris

Builder - help needed on 23:15 - Jan 26 by max936

They have done work in my Mam and Dad's too, I definitely recommend Care and Repair...

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

Builder - help needed on 00:28 - Jan 27 with 1139 viewsDJack

Excellent shout. I've not heard of this and I suspect that it is the same for many.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Builder - help needed on 08:52 - Jan 27 with 1058 viewsPegojack

Cheers, mate, this looks worth a go.

Many thanks to all who have offered sensible suggestions.
Builder - help needed on 12:50 - Jan 27 with 999 viewsItchySphincter

Builder - help needed on 08:52 - Jan 27 by Pegojack

Cheers, mate, this looks worth a go.

Many thanks to all who have offered sensible suggestions.

You're welcome.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Builder - help needed on 13:22 - Jan 27 with 973 viewsPegojack

Builder - help needed on 12:50 - Jan 27 by ItchySphincter

You're welcome.

And you can go and f*ck yourself.
Builder - help needed on 13:27 - Jan 27 with 969 viewsdickythorpe

Builder - help needed on 13:22 - Jan 27 by Pegojack

And you can go and f*ck yourself.

IT's a good point, well made!

Keep us informed Hereford as I have a crazed father who is a puny 10 stone and 75 years of age and think he can climb ladders and fix roof tiles in howling gales, plus paint the house in a few hours!!!
Builder - help needed on 14:40 - Jan 27 with 929 viewspikeypaul

Care & Repair sound a great organisation.

The biggest rip offs at the moment are the stair lift and mobility companies totally screwing the disabled elderly who have no alternative but pay the over the top charges.

Eg a neighbour was recently charged £140 plus £120 fitting by a well known Swansea mobility centre for two batteries to be changed on her stair lifts.I priced up the exact batteries which are £30 each and the fitter was done in 30 minutes.
So £200 profit for 30 mins work.
local councils should have a department where this type of thing can be done for a reasonable cost.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Builder - help needed on 12:23 - Jan 31 with 788 viewssiralan

It would be very easy for stair lift. Manufacturers to place the batteries in a accessible posistion so the public could buy and change the battery.
They do not,instead making it a process that requirers the chair to be taken apart to access the battery compartment something they know the everyday disabled person can not do and forcing them to call out their engineers at silly money.
Its a scandalous abuse of the most vulnerable in society.
Most private mobility centres are parasites.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2017 12:24]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024