Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? 16:31 - Feb 6 with 1707 viewsLohengrin

London off-peak return by train £87

London return by National Express £8.50

Obscene, really.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 16:55 - Feb 6 with 1415 viewsswanjackal

As long as people keep paying it, they will keep charging it. "Ram packed" trains force people to "sit on the floor", so it's obvious the rail services are thriving!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 17:00 - Feb 6 with 1408 viewsCountyJim

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 16:55 - Feb 6 by swanjackal

As long as people keep paying it, they will keep charging it. "Ram packed" trains force people to "sit on the floor", so it's obvious the rail services are thriving!

Most people have no alternative
The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 17:07 - Feb 6 with 1390 viewsClinton

Train is a disgrace.
Mind you, I wanted to return from London last Wednesday morning. It was a lot more than 8 quid on National Express. More like 30 quid.
Ended up on Megabus for 11 quid. Took nearly 5 hours but comfortable enough, I'll use it again. Toilet a bit dodgy, mind.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2017 17:14]

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 17:10 - Feb 6 with 1383 viewspencoedjack

Priced return train to Bournemouth in March

£61 disgraceful
The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 17:11 - Feb 6 with 1383 viewsswanjackal

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 17:00 - Feb 6 by CountyJim

Most people have no alternative

True, but then the cycle will continue.

The people are strapped down and the rail operators swing the pendulum, and it seems unlikely the vermin won't gnaw the bindings in this case but weigh down the pendulum.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 17:16 - Feb 6 with 1369 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Vote for Jezza Loh ( cue abuse , IRA , nazi , commi , ugly women shagger , etc etc etc ,zzzzzzzz"

He'll renationalise the railways ,which would be a step in the right direction .

They are all taking us for a ride .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 17:32 - Feb 6 with 1354 viewsWxmJax

You have to be savvy. Usually pay around £15 each way on Virgin West Coast line but I book 8 to 10 weeks in advance from Wrexham. Got a two together card with my wife which brings it down to just over £10 each and arrive at Euston less than 3 hours after leaving home.
Sometimes use Virgin from Birmingham and you can quite often find that even when booking on the day the 10.50am connection can cost £80 but only £10 on the next train just 20 minutes later which we get for around £6.70 with the discount. Still in London by 12.35pm and straight off to lunch before finding our hotel. Much cheaper and more relaxing than taking the car.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 17:43 - Feb 6 with 1337 viewsDr_Winston

I'd rather pay the £87.

Rarely paid more than £40 back and forth whenever I've gone to the smoke though. Prices are manageable if you can book early enough.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 17:46 - Feb 6 with 1331 viewsexiledclaseboy

Become a civil servant.

Poll: Tory leader

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 18:56 - Feb 6 with 1280 viewspikeypaul

If you book early enough and are flexible on the time you leave you can do it £18 each way Swansea-London Paddington.
If you need to get into London early I do not mind getting the early Nat Express which is normally 1/2 empty.
I do agree if you need to get the train on short notice it's very expensive.

A mate of mine works on the rigs in the North Sea and needs to get a train to Aberdeen the return fare is
£467.40 he gets it back but he does have to pay tax on it.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2017 18:59]

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 19:07 - Feb 6 with 1263 viewsdailew

Should be re-nationalised.

British rail would probably be making a profit by now with the huge growth in passengers.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 19:08 - Feb 6 with 1258 viewsLohengrin

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 17:46 - Feb 6 by exiledclaseboy

Become a civil servant.

My soul is my own, it's not for sale!

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 19:09 - Feb 6 with 1253 viewsLohengrin

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 19:07 - Feb 6 by dailew

Should be re-nationalised.

British rail would probably be making a profit by now with the huge growth in passengers.

Absolutely!

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 19:09 - Feb 6 with 1249 viewsLohengrin

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 17:16 - Feb 6 by oh_tommy_tommy

Vote for Jezza Loh ( cue abuse , IRA , nazi , commi , ugly women shagger , etc etc etc ,zzzzzzzz"

He'll renationalise the railways ,which would be a step in the right direction .

They are all taking us for a ride .

He will never be in a position to anything.

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 19:27 - Feb 6 with 1229 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 19:09 - Feb 6 by Lohengrin

He will never be in a position to anything.

Then stop moaning about it and stump up the cash 😄

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 19:36 - Feb 6 with 1218 viewsLohengrin

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 19:27 - Feb 6 by oh_tommy_tommy

Then stop moaning about it and stump up the cash 😄

I have!

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 19:45 - Feb 6 with 1203 viewswaynekerr55

I pay 396 a month from Hitchin to london zones 2 - 6. Once I'm through probation I'll get my employer to pay the 4100 lump for the year which saves just shy of 50 quid a month.

Got to say great Northern are pretty good. Punctual, clean trains although a bugger to get a seat. Although I had to complain about an arrogant cūnt who shut the window when I went to buy my ticket. "I'm not serving customers" - I haven't seen the cūnt there since I complained about him. The complete tosspot

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 19:52 - Feb 6 with 1186 viewsdailew

Your monthly ticket is the same cost as a yearly ticket in many European countries. And I'm not talking about East European countries.

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 20:02 - Feb 6 with 1166 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 19:52 - Feb 6 by dailew

Your monthly ticket is the same cost as a yearly ticket in many European countries. And I'm not talking about East European countries.

It's ok some would rather carry on paying more year after year.

You can add your gas & electric to that a well .

Bend over

And take it .

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 20:16 - Feb 6 with 1142 viewsJack_Kass

It's because the whole system is a mess and controlled by mix of stakeholders out to make as much as they can.

You have a track, the train and the station, yet all 3 are run by different companies , the obscene cost is incurred when you cross through various networks. It's like if everyone owned a piece of the road network, and charged you a toll fare every time you used their road.

Splitting tickets does help but is a pain in the arse, although I did once manage to get to an away game in Doncaster from Swansea, for £15 each way..

I don't necessarily think nationalising them will help, because the system was s**t then, and nothing has changed since (in Wales especially)

We just need to rip it up and build something better.

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 20:35 - Feb 6 with 1113 viewsPacemaker

Go on here and split the journey without getting out of your seat.

http://splitticketing.co.uk

Generally save a fortune compared to late bookings, although Megabus is as cheap as chips if you don't mind sharing with students and Johnny Foreigner........perhaps not for you.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 20:37 - Feb 6 with 1106 viewsdailew

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 20:35 - Feb 6 by Pacemaker

Go on here and split the journey without getting out of your seat.

http://splitticketing.co.uk

Generally save a fortune compared to late bookings, although Megabus is as cheap as chips if you don't mind sharing with students and Johnny Foreigner........perhaps not for you.

Good thing about Megabus is it's easy to find the stop they're leaving from.

Just follow the smell.

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 20:46 - Feb 6 with 1092 viewsdailew

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 20:16 - Feb 6 by Jack_Kass

It's because the whole system is a mess and controlled by mix of stakeholders out to make as much as they can.

You have a track, the train and the station, yet all 3 are run by different companies , the obscene cost is incurred when you cross through various networks. It's like if everyone owned a piece of the road network, and charged you a toll fare every time you used their road.

Splitting tickets does help but is a pain in the arse, although I did once manage to get to an away game in Doncaster from Swansea, for £15 each way..

I don't necessarily think nationalising them will help, because the system was s**t then, and nothing has changed since (in Wales especially)

Don't think the system was shit under BR.

eg

Never had to use a replacement bus once.

They used to hold connections for you.

Ticket prices were cheaper although they only got around a quarter of the subsidy.

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 21:05 - Feb 6 with 1061 viewsHighjack

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 20:16 - Feb 6 by Jack_Kass

Monorail

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 21:35 - Feb 6 with 1040 viewswaynekerr55

The cost of train tickets, how do they get away with it? on 20:02 - Feb 6 by oh_tommy_tommy

It's ok some would rather carry on paying more year after year.

You can add your gas & electric to that a well .

Bend over

And take it .

Unfortunately needs must. To drive a similar distance between Swansea and Cardiff (from Hitchin to Barons Court) takes 1 hour 40 on a good day, but generally 2 hours.

Plus I get to cycle 35-40 minutes there and back and the journey is much quicker. 1hour 15 door to door.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024