Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The lack of home grown talent 19:08 - Feb 18 with 4185 viewsrock1n

Does anyone else think it's a shame we lack local personnel - I think in the long term we need to promoting youth a lot more

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

The lack of home grown talent on 10:28 - Feb 19 with 1764 viewsDyfnant

Do we actually get any Welsh FA funding for the academy?

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

The lack of home grown talent on 15:36 - Feb 20 with 1576 viewsandypitt56

Latest U18's table

https://www.premierleague.com/tables?team=U18

This is the group we may have been getting home grown talent and not bought talent like the U23's.
The lack of home grown talent on 20:23 - Feb 20 with 1479 viewsGlyn1

Wales = 3 million. World = 6,000 million. Law of averages says the best players will be from somewhere else. Hopefully the Academy will change things a little but it will only be a little.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

The lack of home grown talent on 20:26 - Feb 20 with 1473 viewsLoyal

The lack of home grown talent on 21:11 - Feb 18 by andypitt56

Well our U21s have been doing well, but most of those players have been bought. Our U18s however are bottom of their league. So its looks as though we have to hope there is some good talent in the ages below. Its going to be some time before we start replicating the likes of southampton.

Many premier league sides buy much of their youth talent.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

The lack of home grown talent on 20:45 - Feb 20 with 1452 viewsJack_Kass

Producing players into first team regulars is hard enough in the lower leagues, let alone at the top level.

Just because they don't play, doesn't mean we don't produce them, if players come out of our academy and then go on to have long careers in the game, then the academy has been successful.

I would take pride in seeing a 'Swansea City products' littered around the game, just as I would seeing one player from the academy make his first team debut. The former doesn't necessarily mean they were never good enough to do the latter.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2017 20:45]

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

The lack of home grown talent on 20:54 - Feb 20 with 1428 viewsheadcleaner

PC comes from an academy background so should be able to have a good look at that over the summer. I'd love to see him shake the place up and improve it from top to bottom
The lack of home grown talent on 21:03 - Feb 20 with 1407 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

You'll see plenty of local lads if we get relegated .
Don't worry about it .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

The lack of home grown talent on 21:12 - Feb 20 with 1391 viewsMorganator100

The lack of home grown talent on 20:34 - Feb 18 by TheFranchise

There's a lad in the under 18s squad now, same age as my lad who has been there since he was 7. I'd say if there's anyone in the setup from Swansea that's going to come through it's him.

What's his name?
Login to get fewer ads

The lack of home grown talent on 21:44 - Feb 20 with 1348 viewsKilkennyjack

The lack of home grown talent on 20:45 - Feb 20 by Jack_Kass

Producing players into first team regulars is hard enough in the lower leagues, let alone at the top level.

Just because they don't play, doesn't mean we don't produce them, if players come out of our academy and then go on to have long careers in the game, then the academy has been successful.

I would take pride in seeing a 'Swansea City products' littered around the game, just as I would seeing one player from the academy make his first team debut. The former doesn't necessarily mean they were never good enough to do the latter.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2017 20:45]

Sorry mate, buts thats complete bollocks.

The only measure is players hitting our first team.
Anything else means we are little more than a football charity.

As Perch said the millions invested to date could have been used as millions invested in the first team squad, or even the stadium.

I believe we can produce local international quality players for our first team, but to do that we need top quality coaches throughout.

Beware of the Risen People

The lack of home grown talent on 22:46 - Feb 20 with 1301 viewsJack_Kass

The lack of home grown talent on 21:44 - Feb 20 by Kilkennyjack

Sorry mate, buts thats complete bollocks.

The only measure is players hitting our first team.
Anything else means we are little more than a football charity.

As Perch said the millions invested to date could have been used as millions invested in the first team squad, or even the stadium.

I believe we can produce local international quality players for our first team, but to do that we need top quality coaches throughout.

No it's not, think with an open mind about how it all works.

Hypothetically, if the U23 had 11 premier league standard players at the end of the season, do you think they would all get into the first team the following year? No, of course not. Does that make any of them lesser players, or the academy a failure? of course not. The academy has produced the quality, yet timing of opportunity in football is different for every player, and no reflection of ability.

If we produce a PL standard goalkeeper , yet he never gets a game because Fabianski plays well or doesn't get injured, is that a failure? If he goes on loan to another PL team, and plays for their first team, and not ours, is that a failure? No, of course not. The Academy has achieved its goal, yet timing of opportunity just doesn't work out.

Is La Masia a failure because they produced a player like Mikel Arteta, but he didn't have the opportunity to play in their first team? If Barcelona U19 are the best in the land, but none of them make the first team (as is entirely feasible), then have they failed? yet they provide by far the most players in the top 5 European leagues.

The measure of success is the stamp of our academy across the whole game, not the narrow window of our starting 11.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2017 22:47]

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

The lack of home grown talent on 23:10 - Feb 20 with 1277 viewsKilkennyjack

The lack of home grown talent on 22:46 - Feb 20 by Jack_Kass

No it's not, think with an open mind about how it all works.

Hypothetically, if the U23 had 11 premier league standard players at the end of the season, do you think they would all get into the first team the following year? No, of course not. Does that make any of them lesser players, or the academy a failure? of course not. The academy has produced the quality, yet timing of opportunity in football is different for every player, and no reflection of ability.

If we produce a PL standard goalkeeper , yet he never gets a game because Fabianski plays well or doesn't get injured, is that a failure? If he goes on loan to another PL team, and plays for their first team, and not ours, is that a failure? No, of course not. The Academy has achieved its goal, yet timing of opportunity just doesn't work out.

Is La Masia a failure because they produced a player like Mikel Arteta, but he didn't have the opportunity to play in their first team? If Barcelona U19 are the best in the land, but none of them make the first team (as is entirely feasible), then have they failed? yet they provide by far the most players in the top 5 European leagues.

The measure of success is the stamp of our academy across the whole game, not the narrow window of our starting 11.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2017 22:47]

Sorry - I call bollocks on that as well.

I can't imagine Huw saying - 'here's tens of millions lads, don't worry too much about producing any players for the first team though, that does not matter too much.

And i know our young loan players are currently benched at Yeovil, Newport, etc - but because Mikel Arteta could not get in the Barca u19 team many years ago ....then everything is just super and great'.

Be a happy clapper by all means, i am happy for you, but if you post rubbish then be prepared for the truth.

The local players produced since Ben Davies have been remarkable only by their total absence. Hopefully Kenje Gorre will make me eat my words.....

The lack of home grown talent on 05:29 - Feb 21 with 1208 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

The lack of home grown talent on 23:10 - Feb 20 by Kilkennyjack

Sorry - I call bollocks on that as well.

I can't imagine Huw saying - 'here's tens of millions lads, don't worry too much about producing any players for the first team though, that does not matter too much.

And i know our young loan players are currently benched at Yeovil, Newport, etc - but because Mikel Arteta could not get in the Barca u19 team many years ago ....then everything is just super and great'.

Be a happy clapper by all means, i am happy for you, but if you post rubbish then be prepared for the truth.

The local players produced since Ben Davies have been remarkable only by their total absence. Hopefully Kenje Gorre will make me eat my words.....

Gorre is Dutch

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

The lack of home grown talent on 06:48 - Feb 21 with 1180 viewsjack247

The lack of home grown talent on 00:19 - Feb 19 by swan65split

as above, i would love to see the 21st Century Curtis, Charles , James, and Evans in the sqaud, things have changed PC games seem more important than Footy todasy it seems, every youngster seems to have their head in a phone rather than their feet on a ball.

That's not the reason. In the early eighties, it was very much a domestic league, now it's a global league (in terms of how easy it is to source players from anywhere and almost all of them wanting to play in the PL). As Darren said above, you won't see a PL winning side full of local boys again, you probably won't see many PL sides with it either. Teams get praised these days for having half a team of English players, let alone local
The lack of home grown talent on 07:48 - Feb 21 with 1153 viewsandypitt56

The lack of home grown talent on 05:29 - Feb 21 by oh_tommy_tommy

Gorre is Dutch

Gorre is also 22 nearly 23 if he was going to step up he would have done already.
The lack of home grown talent on 08:05 - Feb 21 with 1148 viewsDr_Winston

The lack of home grown talent on 07:48 - Feb 21 by andypitt56

Gorre is also 22 nearly 23 if he was going to step up he would have done already.

That's been a problem. Too many 21-22 year olds still involved at the club when realistically if they were likely to be knocking on the door of the first team they'd already be doing it by that age. Martinez instilled that culture when he brought the likes of Chad Bond back.

As for the rest of it, again, the lunacy of expecting an academy that was only completed last year to already be supplying players to the first team can't be illuminated enough.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The lack of home grown talent on 08:11 - Feb 21 with 1080 viewsandypitt56

The lack of home grown talent on 08:05 - Feb 21 by Dr_Winston

That's been a problem. Too many 21-22 year olds still involved at the club when realistically if they were likely to be knocking on the door of the first team they'd already be doing it by that age. Martinez instilled that culture when he brought the likes of Chad Bond back.

As for the rest of it, again, the lunacy of expecting an academy that was only completed last year to already be supplying players to the first team can't be illuminated enough.

Its not just the youth team players we hang on to for too long... half of our first team should have been shipped out. 4 year contracts for Routs and Dyer spring to mind lol. We have gone completely the other way, we lost De Vries and Pratley because we didn't give them long enough contracts, now we are at the other end of the spectrum.
The lack of home grown talent on 09:22 - Feb 21 with 1062 viewsKilkennyjack

The lack of home grown talent on 05:29 - Feb 21 by oh_tommy_tommy

Gorre is Dutch

Yes - i was taking the p@ss.

The lack of home grown talent on 09:26 - Feb 21 with 1056 viewsKilkennyjack

The lack of home grown talent on 08:05 - Feb 21 by Dr_Winston

Apart from Curts old CoE that - with no money - over just 5 years produced Macca, Jazz, Joey, and Ben. Something has gone badly wrong.

More money invested means less quality local players produced. Thats the hard truth.

The lack of home grown talent on 11:24 - Feb 21 with 1018 viewsKennedy

Chelsea make huge profits on their academy. And who was the last player to hold a place in their team for more than a season? Terry i assume

Just because the player does not fit into their plans does not mean he is not a good player.

And Chelsea also have bought most of their youth players too.

Just call me JFK

The lack of home grown talent on 11:32 - Feb 21 with 1016 viewsTheFranchise

Within a few seasons, the academy will be self funding.

Even if we only find one every few seasons that are capable of paying in the PL, we can sell to lower leagues just like every other academy does.
The lack of home grown talent on 12:17 - Feb 21 with 989 viewsChief

People forget that these loan fees all build up too

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

The lack of home grown talent on 18:21 - Feb 21 with 911 viewsJBT95

The lack of home grown talent on 23:23 - Feb 18 by jackrabbit

Yes those are fair points. The response on SCFC2 was along the lines of "it doesn't matter where our players come from - Welsh or not it's irrelevant ".

I get that point also... but it's not irrelevant, and it is a matter for regret. Not that we're missing out on available top Welsh players. The only current Wales players who would improve the Swans IMHO are Bale, Ramsay and Ash Williams - and we're not likely to see any of them in a white shirt ..(again in the case of Ash).

The reality is that Swans are still relative newcomers to the top flight and it'll take many years of being established in the top flight before we see the benefits of our youth policy and start producing and attracting young players of sufficient talent to play at this level.

So for now, I agree, as long as our players keep us competitive in the Premier League, I don't really care where they come from. But that doesn't stop me dreaming that one day in the not too distant future Swansea City might be supplying half the Wales team that takes the field in the World Cup finals.

Sod off. You forgot Allen for starters. I'm sure HRK could do more at WBA if he was given a chance.
The lack of home grown talent on 18:56 - Feb 21 with 899 viewsLoyal

Our academy and its products in a swans shirt is something to be proud of.
Regardless.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

The lack of home grown talent on 21:04 - Feb 21 with 877 viewstheeaglehaslanded

The lack of home grown talent on 11:32 - Feb 21 by TheFranchise

Within a few seasons, the academy will be self funding.

Even if we only find one every few seasons that are capable of paying in the PL, we can sell to lower leagues just like every other academy does.

A dire situation for your club given the Welsh talent you have had over the years like Ivor and Len Allchurch & the Charles brothers etc.

Maybe you need to cast your net wider for other Welsh talent?, you just have to look at the talented Welsh youngsters from the North on the books of Everton/Liverpool etc who mainly started off at Wrexham which is self funding.
The lack of home grown talent on 21:29 - Feb 21 with 868 viewsKilkennyjack

The lack of home grown talent on 12:17 - Feb 21 by Chief

People forget that these loan fees all build up too

Loan fees don't even cover our players wAges.
Do you think Newport and Yeovil are rich ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024