Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Laptops 12:30 - Feb 27 with 3942 viewstreboethjack

Right people, bit of advise required please. I'm looking to get a new laptop and was wondering wheres cheapest? I've had a nose on the usual places like PC world etc . Any advice is appreciated.

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

Laptops on 12:42 - Feb 27 with 3927 viewswaynekerr55

What do you want it to do? Work? Games? Surfing?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Laptops on 12:53 - Feb 27 with 3914 viewsepaul

Always good offers on at Argos

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Laptops on 13:00 - Feb 27 with 3905 viewstreboethjack

Laptops on 12:42 - Feb 27 by waynekerr55

What do you want it to do? Work? Games? Surfing?

I do a little pc gaming but I also enjoy live streaming from my xbox so I don't necessarily require a gaming laptop .

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

Laptops on 13:01 - Feb 27 with 3903 viewsjedijack

Laptops on 13:00 - Feb 27 by treboethjack

I do a little pc gaming but I also enjoy live streaming from my xbox so I don't necessarily require a gaming laptop .

I'd go Amazon personally mate to ensure you don't get messed about with returns etc.

I bought a tablet from currys / pcworld about 5 years ago which failed after 31 days. They refused a refund, or replacement, and made me wait 31 days, without a tablet before I got refunded, as the tablet didn't return from the manufacturer. Got messed about good and proper. Never again
Laptops on 13:04 - Feb 27 with 3892 viewstreboethjack

Laptops on 13:01 - Feb 27 by jedijack

I'd go Amazon personally mate to ensure you don't get messed about with returns etc.

I bought a tablet from currys / pcworld about 5 years ago which failed after 31 days. They refused a refund, or replacement, and made me wait 31 days, without a tablet before I got refunded, as the tablet didn't return from the manufacturer. Got messed about good and proper. Never again

are Amazon decent with returns etc if required? I know only basics when it comes to requirements so I'm not to sure what sort of spec I need for decent streaming and so on.

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

Laptops on 13:11 - Feb 27 with 3882 viewswaynekerr55

Laptops on 13:00 - Feb 27 by treboethjack

If you use it for work and you work for a Microsoft organisation I would strongly recommend a Surface Pro - you can get the Pro 3 on Groupon on offer.

If you just want to surf and stream on the web then a Chromebook is a good option.

Laptops on 13:16 - Feb 27 with 3876 viewsjedijack

Laptops on 13:04 - Feb 27 by treboethjack

are Amazon decent with returns etc if required? I know only basics when it comes to requirements so I'm not to sure what sort of spec I need for decent streaming and so on.

Superb in my experience mate. Never had any issue with them at all.

About 6 months ago I had a faulty sound card that cost ~£150. The card was a couple of days off 2 years old. Because the manufacturer offered a 2 year warranty, Amazon just refunded me, no questions asked. That wasn't the first good experience with them for returns by the way. I've returned a few items the last few years and had a refund, or replacement every time. Some of the items were almost a year old but still had no issues with Amazon at all. A few times I've been refunded before even returning the faulty item! :)

What's your budget by the way?
[Post edited 27 Feb 2017 13:16]
Laptops on 13:18 - Feb 27 with 3866 viewstreboethjack

Thanks for the replies so far, don't wanna go spending a few hundred only to realise its not what I need.

Tim gorau Cymru ers 1912

Login to get fewer ads

Laptops on 13:46 - Feb 27 with 3836 viewsyescomeon

I usually get stuff from http://www.ebuyer.com/, there can be some pretty good deals on there. I bought my curent laptop from http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ and I am very happy with the laptop I got for the money I paid. Think it was like £350 a year ago, 4GB ram (stuck another 8 in), 1TB hard drive (I'd never get anything less), processor was ok intel i5 dual core, not a bad graphics card either. Runs all games I've tried, Civilization 6 probably being the most taxing. It's also reasonably well able to deal with work related data crunching.

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/acer-aspire-e5-573g-core-i5-4210u-4gb-1tb-geforce

That's the laptop I think, sold out on there now but no doubt there are better models available fro the same price.

Upthecity!

Laptops on 19:11 - Feb 27 with 3743 viewsFlashberryjack

These are well worth a try, some great bargains and a good firm to deal with from my experience..
www.ijtdirect.co.uk

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Laptops on 21:14 - Feb 27 with 3687 viewsDr_Winston

Amazon's customer service is truly magnificent in my experience.

They can minimise their tax liability all they like as long as they continue to refund me for missing goods no questions asked.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Laptops on 23:11 - Feb 27 with 3625 viewsmajorraglan

I am in a very similar position to you and looking at various options. I called in Currys last week and the advisor was suggesting that we go for something with an i5 processor and suggested a few models.

I then visited a small independent trader in town and asked him if he could build a lap top with a tidy spec and how much it would cost. He told me that he couldn't build one from scratch, but that he was able to source second hand lap tops which he refurbished and sold on. He explained the computers he bought were approximately 3 year and had previously been leased to companies. The chapped stated they were all top of the range models with aluminium casings, fast processors and solid state drives which I am told are much faster. He reckons they originally cost about £1500 and he was doing them for about £300. I am still weighing up the options.
Laptops on 23:16 - Feb 27 with 3620 viewsblueytheblue

Avoid Currys, PC World etc.

Aside from the assistants being clueless, they rely upon punters being ignrant and thus happy to pay over the odds.

Find a nice laptop there and magically there will only be one left, which has magically been pre-installed which costs £X more... expecting you to pay it. Guy was shocked when I declined and said we'd have to leave it. Magically, they agreed to "wave" the fee...

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Laptops on 07:27 - Feb 28 with 3561 viewsProfessor

Laptops on 13:11 - Feb 27 by waynekerr55

If you use it for work and you work for a Microsoft organisation I would strongly recommend a Surface Pro - you can get the Pro 3 on Groupon on offer.

If you just want to surf and stream on the web then a Chromebook is a good option.

Just got a surface pro 4 for work and very happy. Also have 2 i'Macs, MacBook Pro and i0ad pro. I think the surface pro is the best for work (Microsoft applications) in a portable package.
Laptops on 07:34 - Feb 28 with 3552 viewswaynekerr55

Laptops on 07:27 - Feb 28 by Professor

Just got a surface pro 4 for work and very happy. Also have 2 i'Macs, MacBook Pro and i0ad pro. I think the surface pro is the best for work (Microsoft applications) in a portable package.

Yeah, couldn't agree more. My initial post should have said "an organisation that uses Microsoft apps/software"

Laptops on 09:22 - Feb 28 with 3510 viewsperchrockjack

I've got a tablet

Enough for me to handle

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Laptops on 09:53 - Feb 28 with 3502 viewsdickythorpe

Laptops on 09:22 - Feb 28 by perchrockjack

I've got a tablet

Enough for me to handle

Does it turn your button mushroom into a toadstool?
Laptops on 11:57 - Feb 28 with 3464 viewsSTID2017

Laptops on 13:04 - Feb 27 by treboethjack

I have never had one item refused by Amazon.
Even had a DVD which I sent back after 10 months when it was faulty.
They refunded it no quibble.
Usually competitive for prices.
Best to sign up for Prime (at least for a month's free trial) then buy items that offer Prime delivery, etc and you'll have no problem, even if it's just not suited to your needs.
Bought a tablet for the wife at Xmas and set it up for her - she didn't think it did everything she needed so I reset it to factory settings and returned it no problem.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2017 11:59]

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Laptops on 10:48 - Mar 1 with 3373 viewswaynekerr55

Laptops on 09:53 - Feb 28 by dickythorpe

Does it turn your button mushroom into a toadstool?

No, but you can watch all of the uphill gardening you wish...internet connection willing of course

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024