Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fabianski 14:44 - Mar 6 with 3031 viewsSTID2017

First off I just want to say I rate this guy highly and this is not a criticism in any way of his general play.
However, with regards to penalties, can anyone out there tell me the stats on how many penalties (on target he has faced and how many if any he has saved since he has been with us ?
I just think sometimes it's one aspect of his play he could improve on

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Fabianski on 14:53 - Mar 6 with 2502 viewsnantywatcher

Have you ever played association football?
The only ways a penalty will be saved is if a) it's a bloody awful penalty or
b) the keeper makes a lucky guess as Boric did against ManU. If Fab had stayed glued to ther spot on Saturday Grey would have just sidefooted it towards one of the posts. When Fab eventually saves a pen it will because he gets lucky with one of his guesses.
Fabianski on 15:00 - Mar 6 with 2483 viewssherpajacob

He saved one against Leicester away at start of season.
We still lost, so it didn't ultimately make any difference.

Since then he seems to do his best to dive out the way. Hopefully it's all part of an elaborate long game double bluff,
PL penalty takers study these things, so come the end of the season, Sunderland away, Defoe will put one down the middle and Fabby, will stand still and catch it.

In fairness, Fabbys box management has improved considerably in recent months, probably due to improved coaching of both him and the defenders in front of him.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Fabianski on 15:27 - Mar 6 with 2422 viewsarnnie

Fabianski on 14:53 - Mar 6 by nantywatcher

b) the keeper makes a lucky guess as Boric did against ManU. If Fab had stayed glued to ther spot on Saturday Grey would have just sidefooted it towards one of the posts. When Fab eventually saves a pen it will because he gets lucky with one of his guesses.

Don't agree it's luck some keepers are better at saving pens than others. Ie when playing for us always thought Vorm had a good chance of saving one. But Devries looked poor.
Fabianski on 16:04 - Mar 6 with 2350 viewssherpajacob

There is no question some goalkeepers are better are saving penalties than others.

Peter shilton one of the greatest keepers of all time, was rubbish at penalties. Paul Cooper was an average keeper at best, but brilliant at penalties.

Some goalies go far to early, making it easier for the taker, I think this is currently Fabbys problem. The best option is for him to stand still as long as possible and try and stop any that come down the middle.

Fabianski on 16:20 - Mar 6 with 2310 viewsJango

Load of utter tripe. Did you watch the World Cup when Holland brought on krul in extra time purposely for the shoot out and it worked. Done keepers are superb at reading the penalty taker and making the save, others are pretty crap at it.
Fabianski on 16:20 - Mar 6 with 2310 viewsPegojack

Fabianski on 16:04 - Mar 6 by sherpajacob

There is no question some goalkeepers are better are saving penalties than others.

Peter shilton one of the greatest keepers of all time, was rubbish at penalties. Paul Cooper was an average keeper at best, but brilliant at penalties.

Some goalies go far to early, making it easier for the taker, I think this is currently Fabbys problem. The best option is for him to stand still as long as possible and try and stop any that come down the middle.

I tend to agree with you, but I think he needs to fake the start of a dive just before the penalty taker shoots to put him off a bit, then quickly adjust his feet to stand up in an alert position, hands ready, and hope it's hit straight at him.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2017 21:05]
Fabianski on 16:24 - Mar 6 with 2303 viewsjojaca

Fabianski on 16:04 - Mar 6 by sherpajacob

I hate seeing keepers sell themselves early. I had reputation for saving pens in younger days and would keep still long as possible untiI I knew the direction of the pen. You will save the badlly taken pens.

Even when you know, you never know?

Fabianski on 16:25 - Mar 6 with 2299 viewsDracan66

Each to their own but if we stay up I'd like to see an upgrade on fabianski.
Login to get fewer ads

Fabianski on 16:37 - Mar 6 with 2262 viewsnantywatcher

Fabianski on 16:20 - Mar 6 by Jango

Load of utter tripe. Did you watch the World Cup when Holland brought on krul in extra time purposely for the shoot out and it worked. Done keepers are superb at reading the penalty taker and making the save, others are pretty crap at it.

I stand by what I said - I was penalty taker for every club I played for over 20 years. I am not changing my stance, the only thing I would say is that some penalty takers can be intimidated, but that should never happen in the Premier League.
Fabianski on 16:47 - Mar 6 with 2238 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Fabianski on 16:20 - Mar 6 by Pegojack

I tend to agree with you, but I think he needs to fake the start of a dive just before the penalty taker shoots to put him off a bit, then quickly adjust his feet to stand up in an alert position, hands ready, and hope it's hit straight at him.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2017 21:05]

This.
Fabianski on 16:52 - Mar 6 with 2228 viewsSTID2017

I played soccer - is that the same ?

Fabianski on 17:16 - Mar 6 with 2186 viewsSPboy

Fabianski on 16:20 - Mar 6 by Jango

... and Fabianski definitely falls in to the latter category
Fabianski on 17:34 - Mar 6 with 2129 viewsperchrockjack

Keepers make them selves as big as possible

Ever played the game

Fab really does dive out of the way

He makes no real serious effort to save

His performance in Penalties at Euros?

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Fabianski on 18:05 - Mar 6 with 2072 viewsDracan66

But whilst at arsenal he had a reputation as a penalty stopper, that said an upgrade is required as he's very much like Vorm in that he has lapses of concentration at keys moments of a game.
Fabianski on 18:10 - Mar 6 with 2054 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Fabianski on 18:05 - Mar 6 by Dracan66

But whilst at arsenal he had a reputation as a penalty stopper, that said an upgrade is required as he's very much like Vorm in that he has lapses of concentration at keys moments of a game.

Half the fan base turned on Vorm after he made far less mistakes than Fabianski has this season.

I think many of our fans like having Fabianski in goal because he used to play for one of the clubs they watched on Match of the Day before we got to this league and for that reason they are blind to his faults.

It has got to the point where any good save he makes is deemed a 'worldy'.

As it stands I would say he and Naughton are the immediate positions required of a substantial upgrade in the Summer.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Fabianski on 18:43 - Mar 6 with 1972 viewssherpajacob

In terms of an upgrade, I don't think any of the PL keepers currently better than Fabby, would come to Swansea.

So to get a better keeper it would have to be from overseas, which would be a risk in itself. It worked with Vorm, who was in the Dutch squad.

Do we really know whether Nordfelt is any good or not?

Fabianski on 19:15 - Mar 6 with 1900 viewsRancid

Ray Stewart was the best penalty taker I've ver seen.You could put Cech, Buffon and Fabianski on the line and he'd still score from it.Google him as 90% on here will think he's a wrestler or something.
Fabianski on 20:23 - Mar 6 with 1806 viewssherpajacob

Fabianski on 19:15 - Mar 6 by Rancid

Ray Stewart was the best penalty taker I've ver seen.You could put Cech, Buffon and Fabianski on the line and he'd still score from it.Google him as 90% on here will think he's a wrestler or something.

Ray Stewart was indeed outstanding. Any keeper that got in the way of his cannonballs would end up with broken wrists.

Let tissier of course was the master.

There was an interesting conversation a couple of Seasons ago. man utd played Southampton live on sky and van persie tried a panenka but cocked it up. In his,post match interview van persie said he changed his mind in the run up and made a mess of it.

In the studio the sky anchor and soueness both said you must never change your mind, Le tissier, the other pundit, said, he used to change his mind all the time, he would pick a corner, but if he saw the keeper go early, he would switch and put it in the other corner. A man clearly operating on a different level.

Fabianski on 20:28 - Mar 6 with 1788 viewsTheKirkyLife

As much as I like Fabianski I wouldn't mind moving on Nordfeldt and continuing the development of Pickford from Sunderland. Could be a star, that one.
Fabianski on 21:25 - Mar 6 with 1690 viewssomersetsimon

Fabianski on 20:28 - Mar 6 by TheKirkyLife

As much as I like Fabianski I wouldn't mind moving on Nordfeldt and continuing the development of Pickford from Sunderland. Could be a star, that one.

How many PL clubs are likely to be looking for a new keeper over the summer? Would we have a chance at Pickford?
Fabianski on 21:32 - Mar 6 with 1674 viewsLoyal

Fabianski on 21:25 - Mar 6 by somersetsimon

How many PL clubs are likely to be looking for a new keeper over the summer? Would we have a chance at Pickford?

Depends on the removal cost.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Fabianski on 22:51 - Mar 6 with 1590 viewsJBT95

Fabianski on 18:10 - Mar 6 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Half the fan base turned on Vorm after he made far less mistakes than Fabianski has this season.

I think many of our fans like having Fabianski in goal because he used to play for one of the clubs they watched on Match of the Day before we got to this league and for that reason they are blind to his faults.

As it stands I would say he and Naughton are the immediate positions required of a substantial upgrade in the Summer.

WTF?

Vorm was noticeably a different player after his injury.

Fabianski has pulled off some great saves you can't deny that.

He hardly played for Arsenal ffs.

We are Swansea City, we aren't gonna get world class players. We get players who have glimpses of being top draw - Pablo is probably the best example of this, but he was always injured hence why he wasn't at a better club.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2017 22:52]
Fabianski on 08:59 - Mar 7 with 1433 viewsperchrockjack

We were /are a solid mid table club in arguably highest profile league in the world

Village mentality again

Under Clement , hopefully, we might/will attract high(er) profile players.

LLORENTE has been a high profile player

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Fabianski on 09:15 - Mar 7 with 1415 viewsWandererJack

Fabianski on 18:10 - Mar 6 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Absolute horseshit
Fabianski on 09:25 - Mar 7 with 1401 viewsSTID2017

Fabianski on 09:15 - Mar 7 by WandererJack

Absolute horseshit

I have missed Dyss and his out of left field comments !

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024