Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Probate 20:04 - Mar 16 with 809 viewsSwanzay

Anyone on here applied for "grant of representation" etc without the use of a solicitor, seems quite straight forward to do on line?

Any pitfalls to be aware of?

Thanks
Probate on 20:19 - Mar 16 with 788 viewsIantofullpelt

I have applied for Power of Attorney, and later for Probate through the .gov website. It is very straightforward as long as you take care in answering all the questions properly. I also know others who have used a solicitor - but the DIY option is quicker, perfectly straightforward and substantially less expensive.
Probate on 20:25 - Mar 16 with 776 viewsJoe_bradshaw

I've done it three times in the last two years. It's easy to follow on line and obviously saves solicitor's fees. If there's a property involved you can put it up for sale and do everything except sign the contract for sale until probate is granted. You need to swear an oath which may involve a solicitor as a commissioner for oaths.I used a JP I know as magistrates are able to do this which cost me a pint each time.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Probate on 20:44 - Mar 16 with 740 viewssquarebear

if a solicitor helps in completing the form then the Probate charges are reduced from £215 to £155.

Dunno what a solicitor would charge just for form-filling.

(I've just applied for Probate, taken the oath - £8 at a solicitor on Walter Road - and am awaiting the arrival of the grant).
Probate on 20:46 - Mar 16 with 737 viewssherpajacob

Probate on 20:25 - Mar 16 by Joe_bradshaw

I've done it three times in the last two years. It's easy to follow on line and obviously saves solicitor's fees. If there's a property involved you can put it up for sale and do everything except sign the contract for sale until probate is granted. You need to swear an oath which may involve a solicitor as a commissioner for oaths.I used a JP I know as magistrates are able to do this which cost me a pint each time.

For the oath, many solicitors charge a nominal fee, £10 or so which goes to charity.

I concur the process is quite straightforward and the probate office very helpful.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Probate on 20:51 - Mar 16 with 723 viewsSwanzay

Probate on 20:25 - Mar 16 by Joe_bradshaw

Many thanks both, will give it a go.
Probate on 20:53 - Mar 16 with 716 viewsNogginthenog

Agree with previous posts it is quite straightforward so have a go yourself.
Probate on 21:04 - Mar 16 with 698 viewsperchrockjack

Probate rates change from April

Zero up to 50k estate

Then £300 up to 500k

Then,ever upwards

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Probate on 21:36 - Mar 16 with 661 viewslifelong

If you google wills, probate, inheritance it will show you the Gov.UK website, all the information you need is there, I've done it a couple of times, it's quite straight forward.
Login to get fewer ads

Probate on 22:15 - Mar 16 with 623 viewsKilkennyjack

Do it yourself mate.

All on line, but the form is a bit of a bugger to print out.

I recall a trip to Camarthen to hand forms in.
Then a trip to a local solictor to sign the stuff you get back.
(Cant use same solicitor that did any wills).

Jobs a good un.

Beware of the Risen People

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024