Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Losing our Identity 10:46 - Mar 20 with 2231 viewsAl_Bundy

I've read in the past being in the Premiership will be good for Welsh football.

We currently have no Welsh players in our side or in the national side, we also have a number of non Welsh players in our U23

Are we losing our Welsh identity and is this a problem ?
Losing our Identity on 10:48 - Mar 20 with 2089 viewsunion_jack

Serious reply, dies it really matter? Club football is not international football.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Losing our Identity on 10:51 - Mar 20 with 2079 viewsjack247

Yes we are losing/have lost our Welsh identity (if we ever really had one)
No it doesn't matter
Losing our Identity on 11:11 - Mar 20 with 2050 viewslifelong

We have always had players in our first team squad representing Wales at one level or another, now that is no longer the case I don't like it.
Losing our Identity on 11:19 - Mar 20 with 2033 viewskarnataka

Losing our Identity on 10:51 - Mar 20 by jack247

Yes we are losing/have lost our Welsh identity (if we ever really had one)
No it doesn't matter

That's exactly what I was going to say
Losing our Identity on 11:25 - Mar 20 with 2021 viewsAl_Bundy

Losing our Identity on 10:48 - Mar 20 by union_jack

Serious reply, dies it really matter? Club football is not international football.

The question is.... is it good for Welsh football?
Losing our Identity on 11:26 - Mar 20 with 2019 viewsjack247

Losing our Identity on 11:19 - Mar 20 by karnataka

That's exactly what I was going to say

How many of the national side would get in our team?

Bale, Ramsey - out of our league.
Williams, Davies, Allen - we have played a huge part in developing all of them.
Lesley? HRK as backup for Llorente? Chester? - not sure I'd want any of them
Losing our Identity on 11:38 - Mar 20 with 1990 viewsjack247

Losing our Identity on 11:25 - Mar 20 by Al_Bundy

The question is.... is it good for Welsh football?

I don't think it matters from a player perspective. The days when teams were predominantly filled with British players are long gone.

From the point of view of getting more local people interested in football, I guess it would be nice to have local players, but not a deal breaker
Losing our Identity on 11:42 - Mar 20 with 1981 viewsandypitt56

I think its more of a case, welsh players just dont seem good enough. we had a few when we were in the lower league because they were good enough at that level. We have also only just created the academy, in 5 - 10 years time it will benefit the national team. Think those down the road have 3 maybe 4 in their first team 2 of which came through our youth system.
Login to get fewer ads

Losing our Identity on 11:46 - Mar 20 with 1974 viewsyescomeon

If local identity doesn't matter, why support Swansea and not Utd., if all that matters is getting the best players. Makes no sense to me. Give me a team of all local lads over a team of globe-trotting mercenaries any day of the week. Even if it's to the detriment of the quality of football (not that we play much decent football at the moment mind).

Upthecity!

Losing our Identity on 11:47 - Mar 20 with 1963 viewsLoyal

Wales isn't good enough to produce the players we need.
We have been here before.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Losing our Identity on 12:05 - Mar 20 with 1935 viewsmarchamjack

We'll always be a Welsh club (and seen as such by others) and have that identity regardless of whether we have any Welsh players or not.

Us being in the Premiership is no.1 good for Swansea City and Swansea as a city. Any other benefits to Welsh football are secondary and if they accrue they do, if they don't, whatever.

Would be great if we had some Welsh or local lads in the team, but that's absolutely secondary to us staying in the PL and any knock-on benefits for Welsh football.

In terms of identity also, we lost a lot of it for me in selling out to the Yanks (not arguing the pros and cons of it, just stating that view). That's nothing to do with Wales/Welsh football. That's about our club's identity. And we've lost that. There's clearly a bigger disconnect now between the club and the fans than at any time since Petty days.

On the pitch, PC is hopefully bringing back some more of our identity that we've lost in recent seasons (although I'm clearly ignoring Hull and Bournemouth games here...) that the club has become known for.

All of that, together, goes to make up our identity for me.

The Welsh issue in the OP is just one of the parts, and certainly not the most important part to me (and I say that as someone heading off to Dublin this weekend to see our country play).

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Losing our Identity on 12:28 - Mar 20 with 1882 viewsjack247

Losing our Identity on 11:46 - Mar 20 by yescomeon

If local identity doesn't matter, why support Swansea and not Utd., if all that matters is getting the best players. Makes no sense to me. Give me a team of all local lads over a team of globe-trotting mercenaries any day of the week. Even if it's to the detriment of the quality of football (not that we play much decent football at the moment mind).

We'd be non league if we ran a policy like that. When we occasionally managed to produce a top quality local player, we wouldn't be able to keep hold of him. Though I think Bilbao do it successfully in fairness

Supporting Swansea, to me, is supporting the team, not the players as individuals.
Losing our Identity on 12:41 - Mar 20 with 1858 viewsyescomeon

Losing our Identity on 12:28 - Mar 20 by jack247

We'd be non league if we ran a policy like that. When we occasionally managed to produce a top quality local player, we wouldn't be able to keep hold of him. Though I think Bilbao do it successfully in fairness

Supporting Swansea, to me, is supporting the team, not the players as individuals.

I realise that, and that there must be compromise on the ideal. I just don't understand how people can say it doesn't matter. But that opinions isn't it.

Upthecity!

Losing our Identity on 12:51 - Mar 20 with 1839 viewsSPboy

Losing our Identity on 12:05 - Mar 20 by marchamjack

We'll always be a Welsh club (and seen as such by others) and have that identity regardless of whether we have any Welsh players or not.

Us being in the Premiership is no.1 good for Swansea City and Swansea as a city. Any other benefits to Welsh football are secondary and if they accrue they do, if they don't, whatever.

Would be great if we had some Welsh or local lads in the team, but that's absolutely secondary to us staying in the PL and any knock-on benefits for Welsh football.

In terms of identity also, we lost a lot of it for me in selling out to the Yanks (not arguing the pros and cons of it, just stating that view). That's nothing to do with Wales/Welsh football. That's about our club's identity. And we've lost that. There's clearly a bigger disconnect now between the club and the fans than at any time since Petty days.

On the pitch, PC is hopefully bringing back some more of our identity that we've lost in recent seasons (although I'm clearly ignoring Hull and Bournemouth games here...) that the club has become known for.

All of that, together, goes to make up our identity for me.

The Welsh issue in the OP is just one of the parts, and certainly not the most important part to me (and I say that as someone heading off to Dublin this weekend to see our country play).

Spot on ... what has Welsh football, the Wales FA done for Swansea City?
Losing our Identity on 13:10 - Mar 20 with 1794 viewsJethroJack

Extending this question to England.
We have ONE club in the Premier League, they have NINETEEN.
What about the poor state of their player development, when Defoe gets a recall?
Losing our Identity on 13:26 - Mar 20 with 1767 views34dfgdf54

Losing our Identity on 11:26 - Mar 20 by jack247

How many of the national side would get in our team?

Bale, Ramsey - out of our league.
Williams, Davies, Allen - we have played a huge part in developing all of them.
Lesley? HRK as backup for Llorente? Chester? - not sure I'd want any of them

Yep.

I cringe when I hear people saying we should sign players like Gunter and Chester, not good enough for the premier league, simple as that.
Losing our Identity on 14:00 - Mar 20 with 1704 viewsLoyal

Losing our Identity on 12:51 - Mar 20 by SPboy

Spot on ... what has Welsh football, the Wales FA done for Swansea City?

They always give us extra, what are you on about.

We get extra game bans as an example. 👍

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Losing our Identity on 16:58 - Mar 20 with 1592 viewsGlyn1

Losing our identity? Like most clubs, we have foreign owners, a foreign manager and mostly foreign players, and like most here I don't have a problem with any of that.

Our identity is sustained by our location, our fan base and our history and culture, including working with other clubs, organizations, schools and charities in and around Swansea. If we get any local lads or other Welsh players into the team then that is always a bonus but it's never essential.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Losing our Identity on 18:13 - Mar 20 with 1541 viewsABERSWAN

Connor Roberts was on the bench for us Saturday evening,he is Welsh.
Losing our Identity on 19:26 - Mar 20 with 1474 viewsGowerjack

I would like to think the situation will improve if and when our Academy starts producing local talent good enough to ply their trade in the PL.

Sooner the better.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Losing our Identity on 19:34 - Mar 20 with 1451 viewstrampie

Losing our Identity on 11:11 - Mar 20 by lifelong

We have always had players in our first team squad representing Wales at one level or another, now that is no longer the case I don't like it.

Yes I agree.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Losing our Identity on 19:40 - Mar 20 with 1439 viewstrampie

Losing our Identity on 11:47 - Mar 20 by Loyal

Wales isn't good enough to produce the players we need.
We have been here before.

You what, Bale and Ramsey play for Wales and are too good for the Swans.

Williams, Allen and Davies all played for Wales and the Swans but they could be said to have moved on because they were too good for the Swans.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Losing our Identity on 20:56 - Mar 20 with 1376 viewsjackrabbit

Losing our Identity on 11:11 - Mar 20 by lifelong

Hear! Hear! I don't either. It's not our main pre-occupation at the moment, but I certainly look forward to the day when we again supply players to our national team.
Losing our Identity on 21:03 - Mar 20 with 1368 viewsAl_Bundy

So the conclusion is... being in the premier league does not enhance Welsh football as some perceived from a player development perspective. It also appears the global brand which is the Premier League is actually doing more damage currently as local talent isn't getting a look in although we have utilised Fulton and Kingsley already which gives Scotland player options.
Losing our Identity on 21:10 - Mar 20 with 1355 viewsKilkennyjack

Losing our Identity on 20:56 - Mar 20 by jackrabbit

Hear! Hear! I don't either. It's not our main pre-occupation at the moment, but I certainly look forward to the day when we again supply players to our national team.

I don't like it.

I loved having ML, JDG, Michu, Bony, Fab, Rangel, plus Nath and Leon.

Great to see the Wales captain leading us plus Ben, joey, jazz, macca via the Academy ranks. All premier league players and internationals.

Its a nice balance to have - and we had it.

Hopefully it returns soon.
Its the job of the coaches to produce players that are good enough. The investment has gone in so hopefully it starts to pay back soon.

Not too keen on imports outside of the first team - lets get the swansea academy lads through, win or lose. No more over aged German goalies, nor Dutch centre backs, nor Montero in u23 games. Not for me.

Beware of the Risen People

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024