Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Petrol in a diesel car 20:26 - Mar 21 with 7117 viewsmonmouth

Anyone ever done this? My missus did it and drove about 20 miles before the car conked out. RAC are coming tomorrow to drain and flush, but I'm a little worried, to say the least, about fuel pump, injectors etc. Just wondered if anyone had any experience of this and what needs to be done. Plus of course, why it all seems to all be my fault...

Oh and by the way, if anyone tries to wind me up any tighter than I am currently coiled, I will find you and I will fill you with petrol.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Petrol in a diesel car on 20:28 - Mar 21 with 5733 viewsLoyal

As domestic violence is no longer a life choice may I suggest shitting on her head whilst she is sleeping ?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Petrol in a diesel car on 20:29 - Mar 21 with 5728 viewsmonmouth

Petrol in a diesel car on 20:28 - Mar 21 by Loyal

As domestic violence is no longer a life choice may I suggest shitting on her head whilst she is sleeping ?

Of all the people in all the world that could have responded....

Petrol in a diesel car on 20:30 - Mar 21 with 5725 viewsblueytheblue

I've been very lucky - I nearly did something similar but caught myself in time.

As I understand it, you should be ok if it's caught immediately. Turning the ignition and driving 20 miles though... think RAC advice is not to drive, flush immediately.

Found this though. Might be lucky depending how much was put in.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/10450126/What-happens-i

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Petrol in a diesel car on 20:31 - Mar 21 with 5717 viewsjack2jack

Never done it,but this might help,course it's your fault you're a bloke,i get the same,hope you get it sorted
Petrol in a diesel car on 20:33 - Mar 21 with 5707 viewsexiledclaseboy

This will not make happy reading for you me old china plate.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/95327/wrong-fuel-a-guide-on-what-to-do-if-

Poll: Tory leader

Petrol in a diesel car on 20:34 - Mar 21 with 5690 viewsDarran

My wife did it twice in the X5 it's not good if you've driven it.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Petrol in a diesel car on 20:36 - Mar 21 with 5681 viewsblueytheblue

Seems to be a lot of female drivers ruining men's nice cars.

Maybe the Saudis are right about something after all.

Petrol in a diesel car on 20:58 - Mar 21 with 5633 viewsmonmouth

Yes, I've just read that it is the worst thing that you can possibly do to your car. Invalidates warranties, new fuel systems, engines, and multiple thousands of pounds.

Oh well it's only money, I suppose. On the plus side, it will give me the moral high ground for a while.

Login to get fewer ads

Petrol in a diesel car on 21:09 - Mar 21 with 5589 viewsswancity

God there's some thick people about fair play.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Petrol in a diesel car on 21:20 - Mar 21 with 5557 viewsmonmouth

Petrol in a diesel car on 21:09 - Mar 21 by swancity

God there's some thick people about fair play.

Yep, and nasty and unhelpful ones.

Petrol in a diesel car on 21:23 - Mar 21 with 5544 viewsswancity

Petrol in a diesel car on 21:20 - Mar 21 by monmouth

Yep, and nasty and unhelpful ones.

Indeed. Prosser bragging that his wife is beating your wife 2-1 being one.😂

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Petrol in a diesel car on 22:36 - Mar 21 with 5419 viewsmajorraglan

Yes did it a few years ago in my Volvo, fortunately I didn't start the engine. The car was taken away, drained etc, and a couple of gallons of diesel put in, but there was still some petrol in the tank. I drove home that night and drove it to the garage the next day, she was not running properly but once I filled up with diesel she was ok. A small amount of petrol mixed with diesel is fine, this could be more problematic. Hope it works out for you, let us know how you get on.
Petrol in a diesel car on 23:07 - Mar 21 with 5386 viewsDyfnant

Petrol in a diesel car on 20:58 - Mar 21 by monmouth

Yes, I've just read that it is the worst thing that you can possibly do to your car. Invalidates warranties, new fuel systems, engines, and multiple thousands of pounds.

Oh well it's only money, I suppose. On the plus side, it will give me the moral high ground for a while.

Car insurance cover you?

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Petrol in a diesel car on 13:32 - Mar 22 with 5233 viewsmonmouth

Petrol in a diesel car on 23:07 - Mar 21 by Dyfnant

Car insurance cover you?

No, it's specifically excluded these days. Doesn't look like it will matter though. RAC guy reckons the internet is a load of old bollocks (surely not!) and he's done loads. They even have a special van. He now has it started and reckons there will be no damage whatsoever, and just to change the fuel filter in a month. Don't know what I believe, but I know who I want to believe. I suppose we'll see later in the cars life anyway.

Petrol in a diesel car on 13:35 - Mar 22 with 5220 viewsblueytheblue

Petrol in a diesel car on 13:32 - Mar 22 by monmouth

No, it's specifically excluded these days. Doesn't look like it will matter though. RAC guy reckons the internet is a load of old bollocks (surely not!) and he's done loads. They even have a special van. He now has it started and reckons there will be no damage whatsoever, and just to change the fuel filter in a month. Don't know what I believe, but I know who I want to believe. I suppose we'll see later in the cars life anyway.

Yup the internet is full of bollocks...

http://www.rac.co.uk/breakdown-cover/wrong-fuel-recovery/petrol-in-a-diesel-car

*cough*.

Petrol in a diesel car on 13:45 - Mar 22 with 5200 viewsmonmouth

Petrol in a diesel car on 13:35 - Mar 22 by blueytheblue

Yup the internet is full of bollocks...

http://www.rac.co.uk/breakdown-cover/wrong-fuel-recovery/petrol-in-a-diesel-car

*cough*.

Yep. He says that is way over alarmist for most cars, although he agrees that quick action is necessary, just that a short drive is not normally an issue...curiously enough he says, except with Volvos and a few other makes.

Petrol in a diesel car on 13:53 - Mar 22 with 5183 viewsblueytheblue

Petrol in a diesel car on 13:45 - Mar 22 by monmouth

Yep. He says that is way over alarmist for most cars, although he agrees that quick action is necessary, just that a short drive is not normally an issue...curiously enough he says, except with Volvos and a few other makes.

Yeah, I've often found the patrolmen are generally better than the online advice.

Makes sense, patrolman is dealing with an individual case, online advice needs to be more conservative.

Worst mistake I've ever had was in my younger days, accidentally overfilled the oil... didn't notice until a massive plume of smoke came out of the exhaust - scarier still, engine still revving despite turning key off... though for a second, was out of gear, handbrake on so I just shifted into a high gear to deliberately stall the engine. That worked thankfully.

Local garage also do a good job, been a regular there for a while so they charged me the minimum - just needed to drain oil off, do a bit of cleaning. Lucky no major damage...

Petrol in a diesel car on 14:16 - Mar 22 with 5164 viewsFlashberryjack

I did it a good couple of years back, just off the Pencoed turnoff on the M4.

Called the AA, as I had the full breakdown and get you home policy, the guy turned up and all he would do was tow me to the nearest garage, he said it was self inflicted damage and therefore that was all they would do.

Then about 4 years ago I was a passenger in a car that damaged the sump on a rough farm track and only just managed to get onto the main road, he had the same AA cover as I did.

The driver wanted the AA to rely the car home to Ystradgynlais from Lydney, but again they claimed it wasn't a breakdown but an accident, so all he would do was tow us to a garage in Chepstow, and we had to make our own way home.

They must changed their policy regarding breakdowns since my experience.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Petrol in a diesel car on 14:31 - Mar 22 with 5144 viewsmonmouth

Petrol in a diesel car on 14:16 - Mar 22 by Flashberryjack

I did it a good couple of years back, just off the Pencoed turnoff on the M4.

Called the AA, as I had the full breakdown and get you home policy, the guy turned up and all he would do was tow me to the nearest garage, he said it was self inflicted damage and therefore that was all they would do.

Then about 4 years ago I was a passenger in a car that damaged the sump on a rough farm track and only just managed to get onto the main road, he had the same AA cover as I did.

The driver wanted the AA to rely the car home to Ystradgynlais from Lydney, but again they claimed it wasn't a breakdown but an accident, so all he would do was tow us to a garage in Chepstow, and we had to make our own way home.

They must changed their policy regarding breakdowns since my experience.

Oh no, luckily she made it home, but we had to pay 200 notes for them to do all this draining, flushing and checking, because self inflicted. Could turn out the best £200 I've laid out for a while though.

Petrol in a diesel car on 14:47 - Mar 22 with 5126 viewsWingstandwood

Petrol in a diesel car on 14:31 - Mar 22 by monmouth

Oh no, luckily she made it home, but we had to pay 200 notes for them to do all this draining, flushing and checking, because self inflicted. Could turn out the best £200 I've laid out for a while though.

Tell wifey not be too harsh on herself, it's one of those things I reckon tends to happen a lot..... my brother in law has done it and the guy living opposite to me has done it also. And those are only two of many.

I have a diesel and have stuck a piece of paper on my the filling cap as a memory-prompt for me to choose the correct colour pump in circumstances where I forget to think and just pick up any one in distracted or unthinking autopilot mode.

Argus!

Petrol in a diesel car on 14:52 - Mar 22 with 5116 viewsstevethejack

Be careful in the US - the pump colours are the other way around, green = diesel, black = petrol. I nearly put the wrong fuel in the hire car in California. Fortunately I double checked; would have been a crazy repair bill for the hire car.
Petrol in a diesel car on 15:10 - Mar 22 with 5099 viewsFlashberryjack

Petrol in a diesel car on 14:31 - Mar 22 by monmouth

Ah ! right, I thought you were getting the flush free of charge through your breakdown cover, my mistake.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Petrol in a diesel car on 15:38 - Mar 22 with 5081 viewsLoyal

Petrol in a diesel car on 20:36 - Mar 21 by blueytheblue

Seems to be a lot of female drivers ruining men's nice cars.

Maybe the Saudis are right about something after all.

Chop their fcking hands off ?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Petrol in a diesel car on 15:40 - Mar 22 with 5076 viewsstevethejack

Petrol in a diesel car on 15:38 - Mar 22 by Loyal

Chop their fcking hands off ?

Nah, end of hand jobs.
Petrol in a diesel car on 16:13 - Mar 22 with 5041 viewsLeonWasGod

Yep, did it a few months back. But realised before I'd 1/4 filled the tank. Filled it up with diesel and got away with it (it stank for that tank though).

But if she filled up from empty, you only need to turn the engine over for it to be a problem. I read up a bit about it when I did it and it seems it knackers fuel pump especially as the pumps rely on the diesel to lubricate them. So yep, you could have trouble there. A drain and flush is the minimum you'll get away with.

Silly you for letting her do it. Hopefully you've learnt your lesson
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024