Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Curry 19:39 - Mar 28 with 7620 viewsNogginthenog

Just watching a programme about takeaways on bbc2. I saw one restaurant called the Koh i Noor and seem to recall there was one in Swansea. Anyone remember where it was?

I think my first taste of Indian food was in the Gate of India which was by the old fire station.

Love a curry me.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 19:44]
Curry on 19:43 - Mar 28 with 3813 viewsmorningstar

Mine was The Alamin. Chicken curry (couldn't afford the 10p extra for breast) and rice £2.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Curry on 19:45 - Mar 28 with 3807 viewsNogginthenog

Curry on 19:43 - Mar 28 by morningstar

Mine was The Alamin. Chicken curry (couldn't afford the 10p extra for breast) and rice £2.

Where was the Alamin?
Curry on 19:51 - Mar 28 with 3783 viewsmorningstar

Curry on 19:45 - Mar 28 by Nogginthenog

Where was the Alamin?

St Helens Road opposite the YMCA. Nicknamed 'The Alamo'!

Don't know what's there now?

Curry on 19:57 - Mar 28 with 3769 viewsNogginthenog

Curry on 19:51 - Mar 28 by morningstar

I have a vague recollection of it.
Curry on 20:06 - Mar 28 with 3756 viewsSwanjaxs

Was watching Fake Britain yesterday on BBC1 and they were saying that a third of all lamb currys sold in takeaways/restaurants are in fact beef currys, they chop the beef up finely and combined with the spices in the curry you cant tell the difference...

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Curry on 20:13 - Mar 28 with 3734 viewsSwanjaxs

Curry on 19:51 - Mar 28 by morningstar

Remember the Asian Grill? Also known as the Alsatian Grill... if you couldn't get served anywhere else because you were too drunk you'd head for it!

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.

Curry on 20:18 - Mar 28 with 3721 viewsmorningstar

Curry on 20:06 - Mar 28 by Swanjaxs

Was watching Fake Britain yesterday on BBC1 and they were saying that a third of all lamb currys sold in takeaways/restaurants are in fact beef currys, they chop the beef up finely and combined with the spices in the curry you cant tell the difference...

If that's true then the other 2/3rd's serve mutton. No way would you get served lamb in a curry at any Indian restaurant. Not in Swansea anyway.

Curry on 20:26 - Mar 28 with 3695 viewsCooperman

Curry on 20:18 - Mar 28 by morningstar

If that's true then the other 2/3rd's serve mutton. No way would you get served lamb in a curry at any Indian restaurant. Not in Swansea anyway.

That won't put me off ordering my current favourite of lamb Goan vindaloo.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Login to get fewer ads

Curry on 20:27 - Mar 28 with 3690 viewsmorningstar

Curry on 20:13 - Mar 28 by Swanjaxs

Remember the Asian Grill? Also known as the Alsatian Grill... if you couldn't get served anywhere else because you were too drunk you'd head for it!

Few doors up from Harpers? Thing is, if you we're sober they'd always serve a good curry! Had many a good meal there. Didn't deserve it's rep. I'd love to walk into a place like that now, it's what going for an Indian is all about. I even loved the takeaway across the road from the train station, that had bars up across the counter! Really nice grey old man serving at the front and always gave me a nice meal.

Curry on 20:29 - Mar 28 with 3687 viewsmonmouth

New Delhi for me, by the Station Inn opposite the Grand. God alone knows what we ate.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Curry on 20:29 - Mar 28 with 3686 viewsmorningstar

Curry on 20:26 - Mar 28 by Cooperman

That won't put me off ordering my current favourite of lamb Goan vindaloo.

Of course not coops! It is what it is.

Though traditionally Goan currys mainly consist of pork or fish due to their Portuguese connection.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2017 20:40]

Curry on 20:43 - Mar 28 with 3628 viewsmorningstar

Curry on 20:29 - Mar 28 by monmouth

New Delhi for me, by the Station Inn opposite the Grand. God alone knows what we ate.

Can't place that one Mon, you don't mean the 'Indian cottage' do you? That was a difficult place to get into due to having to avoid slipping on the sick outside!

Curry on 20:46 - Mar 28 with 3615 viewsmonmouth

Curry on 20:43 - Mar 28 by morningstar

Can't place that one Mon, you don't mean the 'Indian cottage' do you? That was a difficult place to get into due to having to avoid slipping on the sick outside!

No Gar. 1975 - 77. Definitely the New Delhi. beautiful thick curries, with visibly white something, allegedly chicken. Delicious. Somewhere near Jimmy Wildes I think.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Curry on 20:54 - Mar 28 with 3586 viewsPrivate_Partz

Curry on 20:46 - Mar 28 by monmouth

No Gar. 1975 - 77. Definitely the New Delhi. beautiful thick curries, with visibly white something, allegedly chicken. Delicious. Somewhere near Jimmy Wildes I think.

Wow. I had forgotten about that one. The Grand Hotel used to have a cheap nightclub upstairs and I used to stagger over there for Ruby.
Going off on a tangent I saw an old photo of that row of buildings. Such a shame they were not renovated. Other towns and cities did it. We on the over hand pulled down what the Germans did not bomb.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Curry on 21:01 - Mar 28 with 3564 viewsmorningstar

Curry on 20:46 - Mar 28 by monmouth

Agh, remember it. Never went in there. What a dreg of buildings that little stretch was tho!

Curry on 21:02 - Mar 28 with 3559 viewsLoyal

Used to be called the Alamo I think ....
Davy Crockett never got a fcking take away from there but they used his foreskin in the bhajis.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 10:26]

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Curry on 21:05 - Mar 28 with 3556 viewsmorningstar

Curry on 20:54 - Mar 28 by Private_Partz

Wow. I had forgotten about that one. The Grand Hotel used to have a cheap nightclub upstairs and I used to stagger over there for Ruby.
Going off on a tangent I saw an old photo of that row of buildings. Such a shame they were not renovated. Other towns and cities did it. We on the over hand pulled down what the Germans did not bomb.

They were beyond renovation PP.

Curry on 21:13 - Mar 28 with 3543 viewslondonlisa2001

Anarkali down by Joes back in the day.

Rose Indienne these days.
Curry on 21:14 - Mar 28 with 3538 viewsSwanjaxs

Curry on 20:54 - Mar 28 by Private_Partz

What was that nightclub called? Rough as it was too!

Curry on 21:18 - Mar 28 with 3525 viewsNogginthenog

Curry on 21:13 - Mar 28 by londonlisa2001

Anarkali down by Joes back in the day.

Rose Indienne these days.

Anarkali was my fav for years but i think its gone a bit downhill of late. I like the Vojon these days
Curry on 21:20 - Mar 28 with 3517 viewsNogginthenog

Star of Pakistan was near there too, where Oldway Centre is now.
Curry on 21:21 - Mar 28 with 3513 viewsPrivate_Partz

Curry on 21:05 - Mar 28 by morningstar

They were beyond renovation PP.

Na. The buildings round the corner by the Twin Town cafe are still going. Where there is a will there is a way. Countless towns and cities have similar buildings standing today.
Another thing as well. Many European cities rebuilt on the same footprint despite having the arse bombed out of them.. we on the other hand had a cheap concrete jungle imposed on us.
Anyways back on topic. I remenber the Alamin. Did a guy called Hock run it? My frequent visit was the Curry Inn in the Uplands. Neville Mead was the bouncer and there was an alleged illegal gambling den upstairs.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Curry on 21:25 - Mar 28 with 3495 viewslondonlisa2001

Curry on 21:18 - Mar 28 by Nogginthenog

Anarkali was my fav for years but i think its gone a bit downhill of late. I like the Vojon these days

Used to be absolutely lovely. Haven't been there's for ages though and a few people have said about Vojon but we always tend to go to Rose Indienne (or Killay Tandoori for that matter which is also the same people).
Curry on 21:39 - Mar 28 with 3472 viewsmorningstar

Curry on 21:21 - Mar 28 by Private_Partz

Na. The buildings round the corner by the Twin Town cafe are still going. Where there is a will there is a way. Countless towns and cities have similar buildings standing today.
Another thing as well. Many European cities rebuilt on the same footprint despite having the arse bombed out of them.. we on the other hand had a cheap concrete jungle imposed on us.
Anyways back on topic. I remenber the Alamin. Did a guy called Hock run it? My frequent visit was the Curry Inn in the Uplands. Neville Mead was the bouncer and there was an alleged illegal gambling den upstairs.

Those buildings had zero architectural significance PP. They were just old decrepit eyesores that needed to be raised to the ground. Ye Hock ran the Alamin, and Mr Mann owned the Chinese a few doors up. The Curry Inn, was an awful place, but Neville was always a gent unless he was crossed. Sadly he suffered from mental health issues in his later years, i nursed him at Cefn Coed. A sad demise for a former British heavyweight champion.

Curry on 21:40 - Mar 28 with 3466 viewsraynor94

Curry on 21:18 - Mar 28 by Nogginthenog

I used to like the Vojon, until I seen the latest rating on the door, it's now a 1! Rose, or the Panshee are top dollar, always used to like the Red Fort many moons ago

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024