Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit City : Swansea 08:38 - Mar 29 with 10119 viewswestside

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-39236378
Brexit City : Swansea on 08:53 - Mar 29 with 3040 viewswaynekerr55

"I'm not actually sure what will happen, but I'm hoping there will be better quality of living for those people who are born and bred in Wales," says leave voter Heather Derrick, 43.
"We've got so much to offer and so much to give to our own country.
What I'd like to see is more of the produce that our country is making going to our own people than going abroad to other countries."

I went to see Henning Wehn Saturday, and whilst there was an element of humour in his quip that "last June proved that democracy is over rated", the point does seem a salient one. So then 'Heav' how will there be better quality living given that Wales benefits massively from the EU?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Brexit City : Swansea on 08:57 - Mar 29 with 3035 viewswaynekerr55

Brexit City : Swansea on 08:53 - Mar 29 by waynekerr55

"I'm not actually sure what will happen, but I'm hoping there will be better quality of living for those people who are born and bred in Wales," says leave voter Heather Derrick, 43.
"We've got so much to offer and so much to give to our own country.
What I'd like to see is more of the produce that our country is making going to our own people than going abroad to other countries."

I went to see Henning Wehn Saturday, and whilst there was an element of humour in his quip that "last June proved that democracy is over rated", the point does seem a salient one. So then 'Heav' how will there be better quality living given that Wales benefits massively from the EU?

"Tanya Swistun, of Penclawdd Cockles and Laverbread stall, said: "I still want to leave, I don't know anything about it."

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:02 - Mar 29 with 3019 viewsmacthejack

Brexit City : Swansea on 08:57 - Mar 29 by waynekerr55

"Tanya Swistun, of Penclawdd Cockles and Laverbread stall, said: "I still want to leave, I don't know anything about it."

That's the crux of it. General public weren't (or didn't want to be) properly informed on all sides of the argument.
Brexit City : Swansea on 09:04 - Mar 29 with 3015 viewswaynekerr55

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:02 - Mar 29 by macthejack

That's the crux of it. General public weren't (or didn't want to be) properly informed on all sides of the argument.

Frightening isn't it. Well, we reap what we sow. It may turn out well, it may not. Quite how people have made a leap of faith into the unknown is beyond me. Our inept political classes allowed this by underestimating public opinion

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:13 - Mar 29 with 2994 viewsPrivate_Partz

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:04 - Mar 29 by waynekerr55

Frightening isn't it. Well, we reap what we sow. It may turn out well, it may not. Quite how people have made a leap of faith into the unknown is beyond me. Our inept political classes allowed this by underestimating public opinion

Indeed it could turn out to be OK but it is very very doubtful. We have flown in the face of all expert opinion and leaders of all political pursuatons apart from Trump and Putin.
Just heard a beaut on 5 live. Wants out because there are no public toilets in his town. The EU forced them to build a library and the Welsh Government in Bridgend don't care about them . You could not make it up. Would be funny if it was not so tragic.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 9:30]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:23 - Mar 29 with 2974 viewsWarwickHunt

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:13 - Mar 29 by Private_Partz

Indeed it could turn out to be OK but it is very very doubtful. We have flown in the face of all expert opinion and leaders of all political pursuatons apart from Trump and Putin.
Just heard a beaut on 5 live. Wants out because there are no public toilets in his town. The EU forced them to build a library and the Welsh Government in Bridgend don't care about them . You could not make it up. Would be funny if it was not so tragic.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 9:30]

Democracy needs a Duckworth Lewis weighting system or a short written test before fücktards are allowed in the voting booth.

Preferably both.
Brexit City : Swansea on 09:37 - Mar 29 with 2946 viewsPrivate_Partz

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:23 - Mar 29 by WarwickHunt

Democracy needs a Duckworth Lewis weighting system or a short written test before fücktards are allowed in the voting booth.

Preferably both.

There are many eloquent Brexiters in the IDS mold but the people you describe are the ones who swung the vote. Namely UKIP, racists and the chronically thick who had never been in a polling booth before.
The lesson learnt is that referenda should have a weighting and something as important and complex as this should here been decided on a General Election. We are now following the manifesto of UKIP which currently does not have a single MP in Westminster. Complete and utter madness.
[Post edited 29 Mar 2017 9:39]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:43 - Mar 29 with 2925 viewsHighjack

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:37 - Mar 29 by Private_Partz

There are many eloquent Brexiters in the IDS mold but the people you describe are the ones who swung the vote. Namely UKIP, racists and the chronically thick who had never been in a polling booth before.
The lesson learnt is that referenda should have a weighting and something as important and complex as this should here been decided on a General Election. We are now following the manifesto of UKIP which currently does not have a single MP in Westminster. Complete and utter madness.

We'd also have to take away the vote of stupid remoaners like the woman on question time who voted remain because without foreigners there'd be nobody to serve her sandwiches in Pret.

Also the in/out referendum was not only in the UKIP manifesto, it was in the conservative manifesto too who won a majority in the general election so that point is also moot.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Login to get fewer ads

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:45 - Mar 29 with 2919 viewswaynekerr55

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:23 - Mar 29 by WarwickHunt

Preferably both.

Short written test?

Do tweets of less than 160 characters count?

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:46 - Mar 29 with 2918 viewsjohnlangy

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:37 - Mar 29 by Private_Partz

These are the two most incredible ones I read.

One bloke voted leave because he was only allowed to buy grey clothes for his daughter, he couldn't buy pink because of the EU. And the one who didn't like it because the USA was part of the EU.

Thinking back now I keep imagining I must have been dreaming because I just can't imagine there really are people out there as thick as this.
Brexit City : Swansea on 09:46 - Mar 29 with 2919 viewsLohengrin

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:04 - Mar 29 by waynekerr55

Underestimating it or having absolutely no point of contact with it?

When I watch things like Question Time, Marr or Peston it strikes me that much of what preoccupies the commentariat isn't the same as that of your average works canteen, Wayne.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:47 - Mar 29 with 2916 viewsMrSwerve

Equally, I know many thick people who voted to remain, too.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:49 - Mar 29 with 2906 viewswaynekerr55

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:46 - Mar 29 by Lohengrin

Underestimating it or having absolutely no point of contact with it?

When I watch things like Question Time, Marr or Peston it strikes me that much of what preoccupies the commentariat isn't the same as that of your average works canteen, Wayne.

There is just a chronic lack of fact at all levels Loh. I would also add that palms have been greased and these politicians have hidden behind the veil of "the eu forced us, honest guv". See Bombardier trains and the Thameslink expansion. There was no reason as to why we couldn't have kept that contract in house - there's​ even cases showing where other EU states have looked after their own

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:52 - Mar 29 with 2889 viewsjohnlangy

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:47 - Mar 29 by MrSwerve

Equally, I know many thick people who voted to remain, too.

Accepted. People should have been required to prove that they had more than one brain cell before being allowed to vote. Whichever way they intended to vote.

I don't actually mean that by the way. It just frustrates me.
Brexit City : Swansea on 09:53 - Mar 29 with 2889 viewsLohengrin

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:49 - Mar 29 by waynekerr55

There is just a chronic lack of fact at all levels Loh. I would also add that palms have been greased and these politicians have hidden behind the veil of "the eu forced us, honest guv". See Bombardier trains and the Thameslink expansion. There was no reason as to why we couldn't have kept that contract in house - there's​ even cases showing where other EU states have looked after their own

Yes indeed.

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:54 - Mar 29 with 2886 viewsblueytheblue

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:45 - Mar 29 by waynekerr55

Short written test?

Do tweets of less than 160 characters count?

Well, if you're making tweets between 141 and 160 you'd have to be a bit thick tbh...

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Brexit City : Swansea on 09:54 - Mar 29 with 2884 viewsperchrockjack

It's about risk

And why would an impoverished ex industrial behemoth vote to kill off future improvements and help

Brexit will kill us

Stick this thread if ya like

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Brexit City : Swansea on 10:03 - Mar 29 with 2865 viewsKerouac

Although, yes, there are plenty of 'Brexiters' who have made some moronic comments, the same can be said for plenty of 'Remainers.'

It struck me listening to Radio 5 this morning (there was a section devoted to how the young have been done over by older voters "their future has been stolen from them!" etc.) that nobody was pointing out the obvious. Namely that;

- The young largely couldn't be bothered to vote

- The young demographic are less likely to have ever worked and hardly any have run their own business (and so have little understanding of some of the negatives of EU membership)

- The 'Remain' camp cynically exploited the ignorance of the young, pitching their message along the lines of; "do you like to go on holiday to Europe and can't be arsed with visas? do you like to shag them? do you like to use your mobile phone when on holiday and look forward to the EU making it cheaper to do so?....Vote 'In'!"
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/24/ravin-chattin-roamin-eu-remain-

Many, many, people from both sides representing all the different demographics didn't fully understand the subject matter.
The point is that the people who did understand the subject debated it in public for months....everyone else listened and based their vote on the argument they found most convincing.
It is called democracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Brexit City : Swansea on 11:08 - Mar 29 with 2803 viewsLeonWasGod

"Politicians are trying to say it's going to benefit us because the money we put into it, but they are not saying how much we are going to be better off by when we come out, and what it will be spent on," said the owner of Abrahams and Family butchers.

Well, Wales is believed to be a net beneficiary in terms of money received from the EU, but the also excludes the boost to the economy the thousands of extra jobs in Swansea provides. So people can fairly easily draw their own conclusion as to what this will mean.

"It is all very confusing, I think it is going to benefit the politicians and not the people.
Bingo.
Brexit City : Swansea on 11:32 - Mar 29 with 2768 viewswestside

Nick Clegg on newsnight last night visited ebbw vale.

Frightening how anti immigrant old welsh people are
Brexit City : Swansea on 11:35 - Mar 29 with 2762 viewsHighjack

Brexit City : Swansea on 11:32 - Mar 29 by westside

Nick Clegg on newsnight last night visited ebbw vale.

Frightening how anti immigrant old welsh people are

Christ just when you think life in Ebbw Vale can't get any grimmer, Nick Clegg rocks up.

Poor bastards.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Brexit City : Swansea on 11:36 - Mar 29 with 2756 viewswestside

watch it on iplayer 28/03/2017

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b006mk25?suggid=b006mk25
Brexit City : Swansea on 11:55 - Mar 29 with 2734 viewsHighjack

Just watched it now. There's not a single anti immigrant comment in the whole thing. They want more controls on immigration so that we can pick and choose the people who can come in to do the jobs we need which is absolutely sensible and is a policy endorsed by most countries around the world.

Brexit City : Swansea on 12:12 - Mar 29 with 2700 viewsLohengrin

Brexit City : Swansea on 11:36 - Mar 29 by westside

watch it on iplayer 28/03/2017

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b006mk25?suggid=b006mk25

" The only thing sadder than leaving your country is watching your country leave you."

That's what came to mind watching that. It's probably a quote I've hazily recalled although my memory isn't sharp enough to attribute it. Yearning for past certainties doesn't make people 'stupid' or 'lesser' it often means they bear the weight of loss more keenly. I can remember the closure of the integrated works at Ebbw Vale very well. Over two centuries of continuous production sacrificed on the altar of global finance.

Never mind that a quarter of the male population are out of work in Ebbw Vale. Who cares that a mortgage is beyond the reach of so many young couples there now? Just look at all the sweated imports you can get at Poundstretcher or Home Bargains, that's the brave new world we are urged to embrace.

Brexit City : Swansea on 12:16 - Mar 29 with 2689 viewsDafyddHuw

But the NHS will be £175M a day better off mun.

Or something.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024