Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gibraltar to be Spanish ? 20:24 - Mar 31 with 28610 viewsKilkennyjack

According to the Guardian ....

Brexit - the fun has already started.....

Beware of the Risen People

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 14:48 - Apr 1 with 1708 viewsunion_jack

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 14:22 - Apr 1 by Highjack

F uck strategic importance, the only thing that matters or should matter is that the people of Gibraltar almost universally want to stay British and don't want to be handed over to Spain.

Ideally, yes. Politically, well the govt won't really give a toss about the people, just it's geographical location.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 15:21 - Apr 1 with 1674 viewsexiledclaseboy

Let's not forget that the UK government was more than happy to hand Spain shared sovereignty of Gibraltar back about 15 years ago. I know nothing of Gibraltar's supposed strategic importance but that indicates that it may not be as vital as has been made out in this thread.

Poll: Tory leader

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 15:25 - Apr 1 with 1668 viewsperchrockjack

It's far less strategic and more a case of people wanting to remain under the Crown

People seemingly want Spain to take it back against 99 per cent of the people s wishes.

Same as Falklands where some venal British politicians would have given to Argentina and sold the islanders down the river

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 16:01 - Apr 1 with 1652 viewssherpajacob

In short it should be about self determination.

In reality, I can see May and Davis using it as a bargaining chip, they don't actually care about the rights and wrongs of it.

For the EU it's a miniscule issue, for Mrs May it's politically massive, which means the EU can use it to lever the UK where they want us.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 20:21 - Apr 1 with 1597 viewsmorningstar

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 15:25 - Apr 1 by perchrockjack

It's far less strategic and more a case of people wanting to remain under the Crown

People seemingly want Spain to take it back against 99 per cent of the people s wishes.

Same as Falklands where some venal British politicians would have given to Argentina and sold the islanders down the river

Why do you think we took Gibraltar in the first place? Because we thought the residents there wanted to be British? A tiny little tip of a peninsular that is the gateway to the whole Mediterranean! And you think we want to keep it because of the residents right? ........

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 20:23 - Apr 1 with 1595 viewsmorningstar

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 15:21 - Apr 1 by exiledclaseboy

Let's not forget that the UK government was more than happy to hand Spain shared sovereignty of Gibraltar back about 15 years ago. I know nothing of Gibraltar's supposed strategic importance but that indicates that it may not be as vital as has been made out in this thread.

Shared sovereignty means we still have control of the straights. What part of this don't you grasp?

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 21:55 - Apr 1 with 1562 viewsKilkennyjack

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 20:23 - Apr 1 by morningstar

Shared sovereignty means we still have control of the straights. What part of this don't you grasp?

The good people of Gib have been sold down the river by the old English feckwits.
Fact.

And wheres the extra money for the nhs ? Aspirational only now ? Tossers.

Beware of the Risen People

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 22:17 - Apr 1 with 1554 viewssherpajacob

Control of the straights?

What exactly does that give us?

It isn't 1942,

Login to get fewer ads

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 22:23 - Apr 1 with 1541 viewsmorningstar

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 22:17 - Apr 1 by sherpajacob

It isn't 1942,

No, it's 2017.

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 22:45 - Apr 1 with 1524 viewsmorningstar

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 22:17 - Apr 1 by sherpajacob

It isn't 1942,

But just too clarify, as i've stated previously. There is less than 8 miles between Gibraltar and Morocco, A small enough distance for each member state to claim the waters as their own. Currently, there is an international waterway through as Morocco allows it, If they didn't, and Spain controlled the rest then no shipping would be allowed thoroughfare without permission of either country. That is why Britain will never give up Gibraltar, whether it be 1805, 1942, 2017 or 3999! It ain't going to happen!
[Post edited 1 Apr 2017 23:04]

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 23:27 - Apr 1 with 1490 viewsexiledclaseboy

Nothing. As I said "I know nothing about Gibraltar's supposed strategic importance".

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 23:34 - Apr 1 with 1484 viewsLord_Bony

Historically it was an incredibly important military base. It is less so now. When you look at the kinds of military operations Gibraltar was involved in the past, like World War II, these were clearly enormous military operations of a scale that does not happen anymore

But the UK still has a huge military[intelligence network going on there and of course a naval base.

Strategically of course we could screw up the entrance to the Mediterranean Sea and that is why its been such a huge bargaining chip for us the last 300 years or so.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 23:39 - Apr 1 with 1479 viewsexiledclaseboy

I've met a few Gibraltarians through work. Lovely people and immensely proud of the British link. They all sound suspiciously Spanish though.

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 23:40 - Apr 1 with 1479 viewsmorningstar

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 23:27 - Apr 1 by exiledclaseboy

Nothing. As I said "I know nothing about Gibraltar's supposed strategic importance".

In that case i'm happy that i've enlightened you.

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 23:52 - Apr 1 with 1460 viewsLoyal

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 23:27 - Apr 1 by exiledclaseboy

Pretty obvious really, anywhere with a rock that is highly populated offers opportunity abound for fiddling, rummaging, tweaking and inserting. The moisture levels in the summer will enable unforced access thus no strenuous yelping will be experienced. Added to that I understand they sell fish and chips in large quantities so I can test my salt n vinegar burns your bean theory out on a variety of nationalities.
I'm surprised ECB, I thought you were better than that.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 23:58 - Apr 1 with 1452 viewsLord_Bony

Never seen so many flies in my life there in Gibraltar...trying to eat a meal outside in a restraunt in the main square in summer is horrible....swarms of flies blown over from Africa...they are everywhere...added to that back street pubs that look like something from the back streets of Bristol in the 50s it has a big down market side to it in places....dont even go into the traffic congestion and ques trying to get in and out of the place...

would not want to go back myself....

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 11:45 - Apr 2 with 1376 viewssherpajacob

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/02/theresa-may-would-go-war-defend-sover

Cameron was ridiculed for saying how the EU has kept the peace in Europe for 70 years.

Article 50 is less than a week old and a Tory grandee is using the language of war against an EU member state.

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 12:09 - Apr 2 with 1356 viewsrock1n

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/02/theresa-may-would-go-war-defend-sover

Go to War....

Go to War......

Have we lost our collective minds over the last 12 months.

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 12:17 - Apr 2 with 1354 viewsexiledclaseboy

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 12:09 - Apr 2 by rock1n

Go to War....

Go to War......

Have we lost our collective minds over the last 12 months.

Yes is the simple answer to that.

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 19:29 - Apr 2 with 1277 viewsmorningstar

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 12:17 - Apr 2 by exiledclaseboy

Yes is the simple answer to that.

We shouldn't allow this to snowball into a Falklands like situation, we should launch a preemptive strike against Spain at the earliest opportunity.

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 20:16 - Apr 2 with 1250 viewslondonlisa2001

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 19:29 - Apr 2 by morningstar

We shouldn't allow this to snowball into a Falklands like situation, we should launch a preemptive strike against Spain at the earliest opportunity.

Hahahaha.

That would go well for us wouldn't it.
Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 20:18 - Apr 2 with 1246 viewsmorningstar

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 20:16 - Apr 2 by londonlisa2001

Hahahaha.

That would go well for us wouldn't it.

Brexit means Brexit innit!

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 20:22 - Apr 2 with 1238 viewsexiledclaseboy

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 20:18 - Apr 2 by morningstar

Brexit means Brexit innit!

The added complication is that both Spain and the U.K. are NATO members, meaning we're both obliged to defend each other in the event of hostile action. So if Spain attacked us Spain would be obliged to defend the UK from its own attack. And vice versa of course. What larks.

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 20:23 - Apr 2 with 1236 viewslonglostjack

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 19:29 - Apr 2 by morningstar

Spare a thought for all those pensioners from Essex living on the Costas. You know, the ones who voted for Brexit because there was too much EU immigration into the UK. They would probably be interned before hostilities started.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 20:25 - Apr 2 with 1234 viewslondonlisa2001

Gibraltar to be Spanish ? on 20:22 - Apr 2 by exiledclaseboy

The added complication is that both Spain and the U.K. are NATO members, meaning we're both obliged to defend each other in the event of hostile action. So if Spain attacked us Spain would be obliged to defend the UK from its own attack. And vice versa of course. What larks.

Aye, I'm pretty certain that when bluey said we could take them in ten minutes he'd forgotten they were a NATO member.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024