Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy 07:27 - Apr 5 with 2809 viewsTheResurrection

Keep it tight, keep in the game as long as possible, build up momentum and an option of Plan B.

---------------------- Fab -----------------------

Naughts - Fede - Maws - Kingsley

Routs - Fer - Cork - Carroll - Olsson

---------------------- Siggy ---------------------

Siggy can defend from the front and his typical roaming game won't expose us as much as if he was left midfield. He's a goal threat and can hopefully link up with midfield more than Ayew did on Sunday. We won't have the aerial threat but neither did we against Boro.

Olsson is a threat further up the field and will know his defensive duties.

This should keep us nice and tight while still offering the ability to play some football.

Plan B would involve Kingsley going off and reverting back to a more orthodox us of late perhaps with McBurnie or heavens forbid, Baston to come on so we have something to aim at.

Big game.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 07:34 - Apr 5 with 2100 viewsoldcob

As if life wasn't hard enough for them at the moment, play a couple of them out of position. Yeah, that'll work. No time to experiment IMO.
Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 07:36 - Apr 5 with 2090 viewsWhiterockin

Just tell the players there is no point putting high crosses if Llorente is not there.
Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 07:40 - Apr 5 with 2077 viewsTheResurrection

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 07:34 - Apr 5 by oldcob

As if life wasn't hard enough for them at the moment, play a couple of them out of position. Yeah, that'll work. No time to experiment IMO.

Not big enough changes to call it experimental.

Siggy has played false 9 before and with the way he roams around we won't notice much difference and Olsson will virtually be doing the same job with just a bit of licence to play a bit further up the pitch.

Laudrup did this at Everton and this could solve a problem or two against a real tough opponent.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 07:48 - Apr 5 with 2056 viewsTheResurrection

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 07:36 - Apr 5 by Whiterockin

Just tell the players there is no point putting high crosses if Llorente is not there.

Which I think could help us with Siggy effectively being our 6th midfield player floating around linking up with Fer and Carroll.

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 08:30 - Apr 5 with 1957 viewsdobjack2

If as seems likely llorente is not fit I would not be surprised to see us line up without a recognised striker.
Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 09:29 - Apr 5 with 1839 viewsswancity

Like the look of that. God help Nirvana when he sees that though. He might need emergency treatment.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 09:38 - Apr 5 with 1809 viewsThornburyswan

Not adverse to that plan, although if we are going that way I'd probably prefer keeping Ollson @ LB, pushing Carroll out on the left in front of him & bringing in Leon (for Kingsley in your set-up) to sit in front of Fed & Maws with the specific task of picking up Alli as otherwise he'll be 'tripping up' every time Fed gets anywhere near him.
Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 10:13 - Apr 5 with 1738 viewsjasonbromham

Fabianski
Naughton Fernandez Mawson Olsson
Fer Carroll
Narsingh Sigurdsson Ayew
Llorente/McBurnie
Login to get fewer ads

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 10:23 - Apr 5 with 1707 viewsyescomeon

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 10:13 - Apr 5 by jasonbromham

Fabianski
Naughton Fernandez Mawson Olsson
Fer Carroll
Narsingh Sigurdsson Ayew
Llorente/McBurnie

Exactly the team I would like to see.

Upthecity!

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 10:34 - Apr 5 with 1673 viewsLegend83

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 10:23 - Apr 5 by yescomeon

Not in a million years will he drop Captain Jack.
Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 10:41 - Apr 5 with 1654 viewsTheResurrection

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 10:23 - Apr 5 by yescomeon

Fer and Carroll holding with rookie wide players?

Suicidal.

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 10:50 - Apr 5 with 1633 viewsyescomeon

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 10:41 - Apr 5 by TheResurrection

Fer and Carroll holding with rookie wide players?

Suicidal.

A left back on the wing and no striker? Suicidal in the opposite way.

Upthecity!

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 10:50 - Apr 5 with 1628 viewsNirvana

Almost half the team is being played in a suboptimal position or are strictly substitutes, and the strengths of our best players have been neutralized by your needless tinkering. Nobody to play or get on the end of throughballs, link up in attack or stretch the defence, or work those pretty triangles. How is this team supposed to "play some football" exactly, much less actually score a goal?

You've battered Llorente endlessly for being unable to hold up the ball and now you expect Siggy to do that on his own AGAINST SPURS with Routledge, a fullback, and a five-man midfield? Are the wingers rotating with Siggy? If they're defensive cover then they're probably not making any runs and we lose our width, and get suffocated by Spurs relentless pressing. They will eat this team alive if we even think of crossing the halfway line.

On the off-chance Olsson is actually willing and able to get a ball in the box, who is gonna be on the other end of it? Siggy's arriving late for the cutback, and Wanyama and Alderweireld will be all over that. Is it Fer storming ahead, missing the ball, and taking his sweet time tracking back as Alli nutmegs Fede for a Son tap-in? Insert a few more imminently predictable Alli/Eriksen goals and that's fulltime.

A brutal XI like that coming from the guy who bemoans set pieces is pretty ironic, and would make us look L1 material, at home, when we need a good performance and some confidence. Pochettino is dreaming about a lineup like this.

Stick to football in your reply as I did, if you can.
Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 10:53 - Apr 5 with 1615 viewsSwansNZ

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 08:30 - Apr 5 by dobjack2

If as seems likely llorente is not fit I would not be surprised to see us line up without a recognised striker.

Like we did last Sunday?

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 11:04 - Apr 5 with 1589 viewsAl_Bundy

Fair play to the OP... Thought Bobley Bradley was selecting the team there !!
Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 11:11 - Apr 5 with 1569 viewsNeathJack

If we sit back and defend in the hope of nicking a point, we'll almost certainly lose.

Our defence is simply not up to it.

Personally I'd be starting with Borja up top with a diamond of Cork Carroll Fer & Gylfi behind with Narsingh given a free role to find gaps as an outlet.
Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 11:23 - Apr 5 with 1539 viewsLegend83

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 10:50 - Apr 5 by Nirvana

Almost half the team is being played in a suboptimal position or are strictly substitutes, and the strengths of our best players have been neutralized by your needless tinkering. Nobody to play or get on the end of throughballs, link up in attack or stretch the defence, or work those pretty triangles. How is this team supposed to "play some football" exactly, much less actually score a goal?

You've battered Llorente endlessly for being unable to hold up the ball and now you expect Siggy to do that on his own AGAINST SPURS with Routledge, a fullback, and a five-man midfield? Are the wingers rotating with Siggy? If they're defensive cover then they're probably not making any runs and we lose our width, and get suffocated by Spurs relentless pressing. They will eat this team alive if we even think of crossing the halfway line.

On the off-chance Olsson is actually willing and able to get a ball in the box, who is gonna be on the other end of it? Siggy's arriving late for the cutback, and Wanyama and Alderweireld will be all over that. Is it Fer storming ahead, missing the ball, and taking his sweet time tracking back as Alli nutmegs Fede for a Son tap-in? Insert a few more imminently predictable Alli/Eriksen goals and that's fulltime.

A brutal XI like that coming from the guy who bemoans set pieces is pretty ironic, and would make us look L1 material, at home, when we need a good performance and some confidence. Pochettino is dreaming about a lineup like this.

Stick to football in your reply as I did, if you can.

Wanyama is doubtful. He has been Spud's best player this year so that would be a bonus.
Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 11:32 - Apr 5 with 1510 viewspencoedjack

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 11:11 - Apr 5 by NeathJack

If we sit back and defend in the hope of nicking a point, we'll almost certainly lose.

Personally I'd be starting with Borja up top with a diamond of Cork Carroll Fer & Gylfi behind with Narsingh given a free role to find gaps as an outlet.

Spurs overlapping full backs will probably kill us if we have no width Neath ....

I have to agree with OP I'd play Gylfi as a false 9 in this game.
Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 11:35 - Apr 5 with 1499 viewsNeathJack

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 11:32 - Apr 5 by pencoedjack

Spurs overlapping full backs will probably kill us if we have no width Neath ....

I have to agree with OP I'd play Gylfi as a false 9 in this game.

One of the two central midfielders should be able to shift over to help cover the full back when they are in possession.

Let's face it, whichever way we look to set up tonight it's got a flooring a dead horse feel about it.
Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 11:36 - Apr 5 with 1499 viewsEasternJack

Fabianski
Naughton Chico Mawson Davies
Allen Carroll
DeGuzman Michu Siggy
Bony

-----
Nordfelt
Llorente
Olson
A Ayew
Montero
Cork
Fernandez
Fer

.... could have been the line up in an alternative universe if the Monk / Big Nose ego train had been stopped when it should have a few years ago.

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 11:43 - Apr 5 with 1471 viewsTheResurrection

We won't be overly bullish with Spurs tonight as we are capable of nicking a draw and a real outside chance of a win.

We haven't got the players to be too expansive or take it to them. With Hull seemingly our real competition for Premier League survival to give them any sort of advantage in terms of the 4 goals we are ahead of them would be negligent and incompetent.

With erring on the side of caution instead of dressing it up as going for the draw we could frustrate a Spurs side who will be looking for all 3 points tonight. The more we stick to a tight compact game plan the more that will happen. We'll get set pieces and we may get lucky from one or two. We will also have some more continuity potential with Siggy floating around as he does linking with midfield.

Olsson has proven he's got enough in his game to offer something going forward. In fact he'd be better out there than Siggy who roams around too much and can't go past a man on the outside, he'll also be able to offer us a lot in terms of shape and defence. Siggy has linked well with him, Carroll and Fer and this will offer us something when we do attack.

With no obvious centre forward this team ticks more boxes than any of the teams I've seen from the usual mugs, although I wouldn't be opposed to Leon coming in playing some part as was mentioned by someone else earlier.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2017 11:55]

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 11:45 - Apr 5 with 1466 viewsjasper_T

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 11:36 - Apr 5 by EasternJack

Fabianski
Naughton Chico Mawson Davies
Allen Carroll
DeGuzman Michu Siggy
Bony

-----
Nordfelt
Llorente
Olson
A Ayew
Montero
Cork
Fernandez
Fer

.... could have been the line up in an alternative universe if the Monk / Big Nose ego train had been stopped when it should have a few years ago.

It makes me laugh that you still end up with Naughton in there.
Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 11:48 - Apr 5 with 1456 viewsEasternJack

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 11:45 - Apr 5 by jasper_T

It makes me laugh that you still end up with Naughton in there.

I actually almost cried when I wrote it.

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 11:49 - Apr 5 with 1444 viewsTheResurrection

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 11:11 - Apr 5 by NeathJack

Absolutely shapeless and totally different to what Clement has done so far.

We need a Man City, Southampton, Leicester, Liverpool performance.

This reminds me of when you got your wish to start with 2 wingers in Spurs and we got battered 5-0. The wide men didn't get a kick all game and offered us no protection whatsoever.

Team for Spurs. Olsson instead of Siggy on 11:55 - Apr 5 with 1423 viewscrtz

"Siggy can defend from the front and his typical roaming game won't expose us as much as if he was left midfield"

Have you watched a Swans game before? Sigurdsson's work rate is fantastic and he is usually the hardest-working player in the midfield area that is trying to press the other team off the ball. I don't recall his "roaming" ever leading to anything negative.

I'm not sure if you know this but Siggy plays in a 2-man 4-4-2 midfield for Iceland. That team went on to lose only one match in the Euros (against hosts, France) and conceded only 3 goals in 8 games in the qualifiers. I've read many of your posts and you insinuating that Sigurdsson is some sort of luxury player like Özil that we can't afford to have on the pitch due to his defensive short-comings is absolutely false.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024