Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shall we be brave and drop Siggy? 13:56 - Apr 10 with 5551 viewsTheResurrection

Hear me out as I can hear the collective groans from the Planet Swans Match of the Day type pundits now....

People are beginning to stress we need more attacking intent but people automatically assume that can only come from Siggy going in to number 10 - a position that when he's played there this season we've been abysmal as a team....(yeah, yeah I know it's not Siggy's fault it's everyone else under the sun)

So what else can a team struggling for their lives try? As much as I feel we can't completely take the shackles off, we need to find a solution similar to the formation change that Clement brought in soon after he started.

Then, he found a way of getting Siggy and Fer on the pitch together without compromising our defensive duties too much.

It worked well for us and gave us a real stab at survival but it's starting to look stale now.

With Cork out I'd like to see someone who will give the fans a real boost come back, someone who's been there through it all and we know will be up for the fight. Leon Britton. We'll lose Cork's presence and height in the midfield but we'll gain Leon's tenacity and quick feet. I think he'll work well with Carroll and will hold our defensive shape well.

Onto Siggy... Arguably the main reason the 451 is looking stale is because Siggy is too predictable out on the left hand side of midfield. He can't go past a man as has no pace so his attributes to the game plan is to pick up loose balls, drift inside and get a sight on goal, both to create or score. He's also importantly defensively as he's a hard worker and covers well, when he hasn't gone wandering too much.

I don't think we can drop Fer, without Cork we'd have no beef in the middle and he is one of a very small few that can pass a man and take us further up the pitch. Maybe Fer could look to join attacks more and get himself in the mix a bit more often, but we need him in my opinion.

We'd lose Siggy's free kicks which would be the real risk in all this but Carroll or Fer, I'm sure could offer something in this department?

So who out wide in midfield?

Routledge and Siggy have been the main choices out there under Clement but looking at the stats for West Ham, a game where we had more percentage of the ball for once and when West Ham sat back for the most of the second half, both Siggy and Routs attempted just the one take on each and both failed with that.

Compare that to Ayew's 7 successful take on's from 10 tried and it's clear to see we need more from out wide, a lot more.

Because of this I'd pick Ayew instead of Siggy and hope he can offer something a bit different. Not just cutting inside but going on the outside as well, taking on opponents, getting crosses in and hopefully giving us a new dimension from that position.

The downside of this is Ayew tracking back which I'd be worried about. Is this a risk worth taking to try and be a little more expansive against a Watford team pretty much on the beach?

The other one is more tricky. It balls down to a choice of Routs, Montero or Narsingh. If we went with Ayew on the left maybe we could compensate with Routs on the right as we know he'll work hard and track back. Narsingh would be the other real contender for me to start there and would be ready to come on to change it up.

I know Llorente is back but we're looking very boring and predictable even when he's played, Hull first half, Bournemouth away and second half Saturday.

There's an argument to say the bigger risk is to not change something as it's not working.

------------------- Fab -------------
Naughts - Fed - Maws - Olsson
Routs - Fer - Leon - Carroll - Ayew
--------------- Llorente ------------

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Shall we be brave and drop Siggy? on 19:05 - Apr 12 with 572 viewsNeathJack

Shall we be brave and drop Siggy? on 18:54 - Apr 12 by TheResurrection

It seems nobody has the memory Rich and the reason for that is we haven't had a single successful performance when he's played there.

Not the one!!!

So why everyone is demanding he plays there I've got no idea.

I feel we may need to try something different. I'm not disputing that.

But seeing as we've tried Siggy at 10 quite a lot at different stages throughout the season and we've been totally woeful, what gives anyone the confidence that can work now?

Isn't that a fair question and assessment?

In his career at Swansea, and probably as a whole for that matter, his best performances have been in the no.10 role.

It may be pissing in the wind as neither he (from open play at least) or indeed anyone has been up to much this season but I firmly believe our best, if not only shot at survival, is to put him back in that role with Leon and Carroll behind him who can move the ball quickly and put pace out wide and hope it clicks.

Back to basics.
Shall we be brave and drop Siggy? on 19:33 - Apr 12 with 549 viewsperchrockjack

Possibly Chris and I respect your opinion.

I stand byw,however, every word I've posted.

See you nrxt season.. I ll interview you face to face in private

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Shall we be brave and drop Siggy? on 19:54 - Apr 12 with 541 viewsTheResurrection

Shall we be brave and drop Siggy? on 19:05 - Apr 12 by NeathJack

In his career at Swansea, and probably as a whole for that matter, his best performances have been in the no.10 role.

It may be pissing in the wind as neither he (from open play at least) or indeed anyone has been up to much this season but I firmly believe our best, if not only shot at survival, is to put him back in that role with Leon and Carroll behind him who can move the ball quickly and put pace out wide and hope it clicks.

Back to basics.

Fair comments and I wouldn't be totally against it, I just fail to see why so many are so bullish about this option in light of overwhelming evidence this season.

Rich, an interrogation you mean??

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like

Shall we be brave and drop Siggy? on 20:02 - Apr 12 with 535 viewsperchrockjack

No Chris .A simple dialogue. My days of interviewing evil feckers are over.

I'm just so upset at how things are and frankly, it could be Im posting utter shyte

Winston will verify that

It does mean more games convenient for me to visit in the flesh ,if we go down

I'm not suffering fools these days though and I've been to away games alone,unannounced mainly to avoid Prosser invective but It's fair to say I'm pretty upset.

In the sauna today ,I had two members ,who know my alliegience say they find it hard to believe where we are and that's from reds blues and trannies who themselves fook up last night

Please pray for Tranmere in the play offs

Shall we be brave and drop Siggy? on 20:02 - Apr 12 with 535 viewsPozuelosSideys

Back to basics.

Yep, fck it. We're pretty much all-in now anyway.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Shall we be brave and drop Siggy? on 20:29 - Apr 12 with 518 viewsjack247

Back to basics.

He doesn't link well with Llorente in open play. Llorente doesn't have the flicks and tricks of a Bony to play Siggy through. Although he is very strong, he can't hold the ball up for as long as Bony could for Siggy to get up and support him. He obviously doesn't have the running of someone like Danny Graham to drag defenders out of position, giving Siggy space on the edge of the area. Siggy doesn't quite have the pace to get there before Llorente gets crowded or dispossessed. They also can get in each other's way, particularly when Llorente drops deep.

Although they aren't perfect partners, they are both a goal threat, Llorente is our only physical threat bar possibly Fer. Siggy is the most likely to play a runner in or get a shot of from the edge of the area. Obviously both very dangerous, in different ways, from set pieces.

We kind of have to have them both in the team and shoehorning Siggy into a position where he has a reasonably free licence when attacking, but allows us to play three other central midfielders makes sense. As long as Olsson overlaps him, I'm happy with him as a narrow left winger. May not be ideal, but I think it's our best chance with the squad we've got.
Shall we be brave and drop Siggy? on 20:58 - Apr 12 with 499 viewsTheResurrection

Shall we be brave and drop Siggy? on 20:02 - Apr 12 by perchrockjack

No Chris .A simple dialogue. My days of interviewing evil feckers are over.

I'm just so upset at how things are and frankly, it could be Im posting utter shyte

Winston will verify that

It does mean more games convenient for me to visit in the flesh ,if we go down

I'm not suffering fools these days though and I've been to away games alone,unannounced mainly to avoid Prosser invective but It's fair to say I'm pretty upset.

In the sauna today ,I had two members ,who know my alliegience say they find it hard to believe where we are and that's from reds blues and trannies who themselves fook up last night

Please pray for Tranmere in the play offs

This season of all seasons we shouldn't be down there. To think how bad we've been and we're still only 2 points adrift when we were 5 ahead of the same team just a few games ago, and that will show you how galling it is to almost think it's all over.

Jenkins is notoriously quiet and whereas he's courted and milked the media in the past his silence speaks volumes the coward. I'm not surprised, however.

We haven't experienced a relegation for something like 16 years. I was in my bloody 20's then FFS and you in your 70's ;-) so it's going to come as a huge shock to the system. We were all used to it back in the 80's and 90's it was par for the course every couple of years, but now...?? FACK!!

I do think some of our fans have started to take this Premier League experience for granted, however, and love to moan about modern football and everything else under the sun. To not even have the absolute luxury of streams for every league game is making me feel physically sick and the withdrawal symptoms are already kicking in.

6 games before these symptoms turn into fully blown cold turkey.

These 6 games feels like a game with 6 minutes left and we're a goal down and needing to win!! The clock just ticks on down and we're huffing and puffing and not really getting anywhere...

I'm not helping myself here!!!

Shall we be brave and drop Siggy? on 21:05 - Apr 12 with 489 viewsTheResurrection

Shall we be brave and drop Siggy? on 20:29 - Apr 12 by jack247

He doesn't link well with Llorente in open play. Llorente doesn't have the flicks and tricks of a Bony to play Siggy through. Although he is very strong, he can't hold the ball up for as long as Bony could for Siggy to get up and support him. He obviously doesn't have the running of someone like Danny Graham to drag defenders out of position, giving Siggy space on the edge of the area. Siggy doesn't quite have the pace to get there before Llorente gets crowded or dispossessed. They also can get in each other's way, particularly when Llorente drops deep.

Although they aren't perfect partners, they are both a goal threat, Llorente is our only physical threat bar possibly Fer. Siggy is the most likely to play a runner in or get a shot of from the edge of the area. Obviously both very dangerous, in different ways, from set pieces.

We kind of have to have them both in the team and shoehorning Siggy into a position where he has a reasonably free licence when attacking, but allows us to play three other central midfielders makes sense. As long as Olsson overlaps him, I'm happy with him as a narrow left winger. May not be ideal, but I think it's our best chance with the squad we've got.

Good post, sums up a lot of what i've said for so long.

However, when Siggy isn't playing anyone in (the last god knows how many games) or failing with set pieces, it's a complete waste of a good position on the pitch - bearing in mind how Llorente would love wide men to get to the bye line and ping a couple of out-swingers across.

Yes Carroll has done that the once with great effect but a natural wide player out there in front of Olsson would be a huge asset for us.

Login to get fewer ads

Shall we be brave and drop Siggy? on 21:15 - Apr 12 with 472 viewsperchrockjack

Christ.
I'm three years away from 70 ,all being well.

It still hurts as it would if I were forty years younger

Shall we be brave and drop Siggy? on 22:19 - Apr 12 with 430 viewsStarsky

I tell you this... when we've been looking for impact plwyers to come on particularly when Lloriente was injured... I don't understand why Emnes wasn't utilised because he always caused problems when coming on as Sub.

It's just the internet, init.

Shall we be brave and drop Siggy? on 22:32 - Apr 12 with 418 viewsjack247

Shall we be brave and drop Siggy? on 22:19 - Apr 12 by Starsky

I tell you this... when we've been looking for impact plwyers to come on particularly when Lloriente was injured... I don't understand why Emnes wasn't utilised because he always caused problems when coming on as Sub.

Isn't he still at Blackburn?
Shall we be brave and drop Siggy? on 22:59 - Apr 12 with 405 viewsStarsky

Shall we be brave and drop Siggy? on 22:32 - Apr 12 by jack247

Isn't he still at Blackburn?

Well yes... but I wouldn't have let him go there in the first place.

It's just the internet, init.

Shall we be brave and drop Siggy? on 00:03 - Apr 16 with 323 viewsKerouac

Shall we be brave and drop Siggy? on 22:38 - Apr 11 by Kerouac

How about...

---------- Siggy --- Leon ---------
Narsingh ----- Fer ------ Carroll

or

---------------- Leon ---------------
--------- Fer -------- Siggy --------
Narsingh ----------------- Carroll

The reason why I suggested Carroll out on the left is because he has a great left foot and can cross well.
I figured that these attributes (along with his obvious creativity and intelligent passing) would be key to supplying Llorente and Fer with service...Siggy arriving late to pick up the pieces and cut backs.

I didn't pick Ki...and haven't been picking him in my preferred line ups since Laudrup sent him out on loan for a strop...because he offers us so very little, in any position.

Narsingh is not very good but has pace and CAN cross...which is why I gave him the nod on the other wing.
Who knows, with Siggy putting him away and Fer on a similar wavelength, and Llorente as a target...he might be capable of helping the team create something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024