Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did Jesus exist? 17:18 - Apr 14 with 7131 viewsexiledclaseboy

Does it even matter whether he did or not? A topical discussion point at this time.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/14/what-is-the-historical-evidence-th

Poll: Tory leader

Did Jesus exist? on 00:30 - Apr 15 with 742 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Did Jesus exist? on 19:56 - Apr 14 by Jack_Meoff

I read recently that the story of Jesus is the allegorical telling of our Sun's (Son of God) journey through the cosmos. The reason why the birthday is on the 25th December is due to the fact that on the winter solstice (21st December) our sun reaches its lowest point in the sky and stays there (dormant, lifeless) before rising again (resurrection) on the 25th (also relates the three days in the cave after crucifixion).

Like you say though. it's nothing new.

For once we disagree! Jesus was probably born around September but the Church chose to commemorate his Nativity to co incide with the pagan festivals held round the winter solstice . It's nothing new, a lot of Chrches are built on pagan sites so why not supercede the pagan festivals with Christian festivals so no surprises. It was only the third ranking festival in the early days behind Easter and Epiphany . In some parts that hierarchy is still recognised.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Did Jesus exist? on 08:02 - Apr 15 with 689 viewsAl_Bundy

Did the Romans or anybody else find Jesus's body after his death? There are tombs and shrines to other god like figures .. why doesn't Jesus have one ?
Did Jesus exist? on 08:23 - Apr 15 with 675 viewsLoyal

Did Jesus exist? on 08:02 - Apr 15 by Al_Bundy

Did the Romans or anybody else find Jesus's body after his death? There are tombs and shrines to other god like figures .. why doesn't Jesus have one ?

He wanted a simple burial, just family and close friends.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Did Jesus exist? on 09:11 - Apr 15 with 655 viewsWarwickHunt

Did Jesus exist? on 08:23 - Apr 15 by Loyal

He wanted a simple burial, just family and close friends.

No flowers. Donations to the People's Front of Judea.
Did Jesus exist? on 09:26 - Apr 15 with 647 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Did Jesus exist? on 08:02 - Apr 15 by Al_Bundy

I think you need to pick up the story after the crucifixion mate. It's a real twist of an ending

Did Jesus exist? on 09:41 - Apr 15 with 634 viewsE20Jack

Did Jesus exist? on 00:08 - Apr 15 by Brynmill_Jack

And you've just plagiarised Zeitgeist. Bravo! Egypt you say? It will be Mithras next!
All lazy journalism though.
Christos is Christ in Greek, the language of the new testament. Where are these other "Christos's" then E20J?

Who is Zeitgeist? lost me there pal. It is a well known point of view.

We aren't talking about the New Testament, we are talking about ''historians'' documents around the time of Jesus (supposedly). None of them mention him by name. They mention The Christos (not written in Greek) the exact word fro memory is ''mashiyach'' which is Hebrew, translated which means anointed, hence the mistranslation when translated to Greek as you have just displayed.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Did Jesus exist? on 09:42 - Apr 15 with 631 viewsE20Jack

Did Jesus exist? on 00:30 - Apr 15 by Brynmill_Jack

For once we disagree! Jesus was probably born around September but the Church chose to commemorate his Nativity to co incide with the pagan festivals held round the winter solstice . It's nothing new, a lot of Chrches are built on pagan sites so why not supercede the pagan festivals with Christian festivals so no surprises. It was only the third ranking festival in the early days behind Easter and Epiphany . In some parts that hierarchy is still recognised.

''probably born around September time''? based on what exactly??

Did Jesus exist? on 09:46 - Apr 15 with 625 viewsE20Jack

Did Jesus exist? on 00:10 - Apr 15 by Brynmill_Jack

Also the coming of Christ was foretold in the old Testament via the prophets etc etc. Does this make Judaism an Egyptian rip off too?

That is not a very specific point, they may get away with that in a court

Although Christianity would be on shaky ground if they were taken to court by the ancient egyptians. It is mythology told and retold, invented and reinvented. Then used to suit which ever agenda needs pushing by whomever s in power at the time.

Login to get fewer ads

Did Jesus exist? on 09:46 - Apr 15 with 623 viewslondonlisa2001

Did Jesus exist? on 09:42 - Apr 15 by E20Jack

Displayed a lot of the personality traits of a typical Virgo,
Did Jesus exist? on 09:49 - Apr 15 with 616 viewsE20Jack

Did Jesus exist? on 09:46 - Apr 15 by londonlisa2001

Displayed a lot of the personality traits of a typical Virgo,

Did Jesus exist? on 09:54 - Apr 15 with 612 viewsAl_Bundy

Well that's the mystery... The Romans could have prevented all speculation and uprising of this religion by quashing it from day one. I guess they could have prevented the New Testament from ever being formed and collated by proving Jesus claims were all a sham.

However, the claims appear to be not challenged or at least not dismissed but the Roman Empire at the time for what reasons? I guess based on this, Jesus was either being on the level of or he was and what will unfold or the Romans were in on this charade.

So I guess when we all die we will never be aware of being dead (like a sleep state without dreaming) or we will also face some sort of judgement of sorts maybe.

Bit of a gamble for us all I think...
Did Jesus exist? on 10:24 - Apr 15 with 593 viewsdailew

Did Jesus exist? on 09:54 - Apr 15 by Al_Bundy

Well that's the mystery... The Romans could have prevented all speculation and uprising of this religion by quashing it from day one. I guess they could have prevented the New Testament from ever being formed and collated by proving Jesus claims were all a sham.

However, the claims appear to be not challenged or at least not dismissed but the Roman Empire at the time for what reasons? I guess based on this, Jesus was either being on the level of or he was and what will unfold or the Romans were in on this charade.

So I guess when we all die we will never be aware of being dead (like a sleep state without dreaming) or we will also face some sort of judgement of sorts maybe.

There may be a god that only allows Swansea fans into heaven. All others will be forced to watch replays of 4th division games at Onion Park for eternity.

Just as much evidence for this as for any other god.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Did Jesus exist? on 10:26 - Apr 15 with 587 viewsE20Jack

Did Jesus exist? on 10:24 - Apr 15 by dailew

There may be a god that only allows Swansea fans into heaven. All others will be forced to watch replays of 4th division games at Onion Park for eternity.

People in a thousand years will be asking why the religions at the time of the creation of Dailew's story allow it and not quash it, as a result there must be something in it.

Did Jesus exist? on 10:45 - Apr 15 with 564 viewsWarwickHunt

Not much of a gamble if you think rationally...
Did Jesus exist? on 10:56 - Apr 15 with 544 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Did Jesus exist? on 09:42 - Apr 15 by E20Jack

That was the time of year apparently that the shepherds had to stay out with their flocks. Probably to do with lambing time . I've seen this quoted many time so I couldn't give you an exact source.

Did Jesus exist? on 10:58 - Apr 15 with 534 viewsWarwickHunt

Did Jesus exist? on 10:24 - Apr 15 by dailew

A touch far Vetched?
Did Jesus exist? on 11:00 - Apr 15 with 530 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Did Jesus exist? on 09:41 - Apr 15 by E20Jack

Who is Zeitgeist? lost me there pal. It is a well known point of view.

We aren't talking about the New Testament, we are talking about ''historians'' documents around the time of Jesus (supposedly). None of them mention him by name. They mention The Christos (not written in Greek) the exact word fro memory is ''mashiyach'' which is Hebrew, translated which means anointed, hence the mistranslation when translated to Greek as you have just displayed.

So you're quoting first century Jewish historians if you're quoting Hebrew then?
So the epistles written by many sources (not just Paul) don't count as historical sources?

Did Jesus exist? on 11:07 - Apr 15 with 521 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Roman's had to execute thousands in an effort to wipe out Christianity ( the only disciple to die of old age was John the Evangelist, even then the Roman's had tried to poison him and torture him).

I find it quite puzzling why someone would choose to be brutally tortured and then executed (as the rest of them were) instead of just saying "yes tribune, I made it all up honest guv. He really was just a very naughty boy".

Did Jesus exist? on 11:08 - Apr 15 with 519 viewsE20Jack

Did Jesus exist? on 11:00 - Apr 15 by Brynmill_Jack

So you're quoting first century Jewish historians if you're quoting Hebrew then?
So the epistles written by many sources (not just Paul) don't count as historical sources?

Do you think the epistles count as reliable historical sources then?

Guess what my answer is..

Did Jesus exist? on 11:14 - Apr 15 with 512 viewslondonlisa2001

Did Jesus exist? on 11:00 - Apr 15 by Brynmill_Jack

It would be a more accurate historical account if all sources were made available, not just the ones that the Church decided to put in while making sure the others didn't see the light of day.

All religions are used as a way of controlling the population - it has always been the case. Irrespective of whether a belief in any sort of 'God' has any basis in reality, the fact that someone does or doesn't believe that a 'Son of God' walked the earth depending on where in the world they are born, really doesn't make much sense if you think about it with any degree of rationality.
Did Jesus exist? on 11:16 - Apr 15 with 511 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Did Jesus exist? on 09:46 - Apr 15 by E20Jack

That is not a very specific point, they may get away with that in a court

Although Christianity would be on shaky ground if they were taken to court by the ancient egyptians. It is mythology told and retold, invented and reinvented. Then used to suit which ever agenda needs pushing by whomever s in power at the time.

And therein lies the inherent flaw in your argument. The state of Egypt was completely dominated by its religion and therefore had true civic and legal power to encourage and of course enforce it.

Christianity on the other hand had to endure 325 years of persecution before Constantine convened the first Ecumenical council of Nicea . Of course it waxed and waned but Christians mostly lived in fear for that period.

It wasn't the state region of Judea (they were persecuted by the Jews obviously) so to be fair it survived with no help from any official, civic or government help.

The exact opposite.

Did Jesus exist? on 11:20 - Apr 15 with 498 viewslondonlisa2001

Did Jesus exist? on 11:16 - Apr 15 by Brynmill_Jack

And therein lies the inherent flaw in your argument. The state of Egypt was completely dominated by its religion and therefore had true civic and legal power to encourage and of course enforce it.

Christianity on the other hand had to endure 325 years of persecution before Constantine convened the first Ecumenical council of Nicea . Of course it waxed and waned but Christians mostly lived in fear for that period.

It wasn't the state region of Judea (they were persecuted by the Jews obviously) so to be fair it survived with no help from any official, civic or government help.

The exact opposite.

And the Jews have been persecuted for a lot longer than that and yet remain steadfast in their conviction that it's nonsense.
Did Jesus exist? on 11:22 - Apr 15 with 494 views1983

Sorry folks when you die you die end of sports
Religion is for the weak..

No such thing as Jesus, God, father Christmas, The man in the moon on the John Lewis adverts...Just go with it and enjoy it while it's here

Did Jesus exist? on 11:22 - Apr 15 with 494 viewsJack_Meoff

I think we can all agree that old JC loved an Easter egg though. Bloody starving he was, what with being dead for three days and all.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Did Jesus exist? on 11:26 - Apr 15 with 483 viewsCountyJim

What have people got a problem with anyway Religion gives people comfort at difficult times in their lives

On my death bed I know im going to see my Mam again and that helps me deal with the grief of my loss, that one day

As she was passing she said their was an angel in the room and her Mam and Dad ok some will say it was the medication she was on but it felt so beautiful that she was at peace

As a non believer she may not have had that peace
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024