Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The EU referendum 12:24 - Apr 16 with 939 viewsexiledclaseboy

An unbiased report from a cross party committee of MPs (the Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee) on the referendum, its conduct, the role of the two campaigns and the government/civil service at the link below. A good read for anyone with an interest in these things.

https://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201617/cmselect/cmpubadm/496/496.pdf

Poll: Tory leader

The EU referendum on 12:38 - Apr 16 with 922 viewsLeonWasGod

Is this the report that the Brexiteers on the committee refused to put their names to because they didn't like what it said?

In other news it looks like the EU purge may happen soon and well before we leave: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/15/britain-set-to-lose-eu-crown-je
Not sure what will happen to those 1,000 jobs these agencies support and what the arrangements are to replace the services they provide to businesses. I'm sure May's alternative arrangements are ready to be rolled out...
The EU referendum on 12:43 - Apr 16 with 920 viewsexiledclaseboy

The EU referendum on 12:38 - Apr 16 by LeonWasGod

Is this the report that the Brexiteers on the committee refused to put their names to because they didn't like what it said?

In other news it looks like the EU purge may happen soon and well before we leave: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/15/britain-set-to-lose-eu-crown-je
Not sure what will happen to those 1,000 jobs these agencies support and what the arrangements are to replace the services they provide to businesses. I'm sure May's alternative arrangements are ready to be rolled out...

Not sure about your first sentence. I do know that the Chair of the committee (Bernard Jenkin) is an arch Brexiteer himself.

The EU referendum on 14:13 - Apr 16 with 877 viewsPrivate_Partz

Thanks for that.
I have only had a quick scan at the moment. It is interesting that some of the criticism aimed at Cameron was that he used the machinery of Government to further his argument. This in turn created resentment amongst voters therby having a negative effect and helping the counter argument. Not heard that one before.
One recommendation seems that no government should hold a referendum if any outcome is something they can't agree with. In this case it was to such an extent a PM actually resigned.
I think in summary it says the whole shooting match was a dog's dinner with little information for voters on the consequences of their decision.
The recommendations seem to shut the door on any such future referenda of this type. Unfortunately on this occasion it is too late and all the horses have bolted. Hopefully more thought and preparation will go into such actions in the future.
I think Cameron's legacy will be of a PM that severely damaged the Country for his own ends.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2017 14:14]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

The EU referendum on 14:40 - Apr 16 with 854 viewsAnotherJohn

Funnily enough I thought of ECB (as a member of our esteemed Civil Service) when I skimmed through the report a few days ago.

The bit that caught my eye from the summary was this:

"During the run-up to the EU referendum, there were many occasions when it appeared to many that civil servants were being drawn into referendum controversy. This damaged the reputations of the Civil and Diplomatic Services for impartiality. We regret the Government did not accept the recommendation of our predecessor Committee, PASC, in relation to the provision of a new paragraph in the Civil Service Code, which would have served to clarify the role and conduct of civil servants during a referendum campaign. This proportionate and sensible step, would have served to promote clarity and a clear understanding of the role for civil servants at the very outset of the EU Referendum campaign, thereby avoiding some of the controversies which arose during that campaign. The manner of the presentation of government reports, particularly those from the Treasury, and the decision to spend £9.3m on sending a leaflet, advocating a Remain vote, to all UK households, were inappropriate and counterproductive for the Government."
The EU referendum on 15:19 - Apr 16 with 827 viewsHighjack

The EU referendum on 14:13 - Apr 16 by Private_Partz

Thanks for that.
I have only had a quick scan at the moment. It is interesting that some of the criticism aimed at Cameron was that he used the machinery of Government to further his argument. This in turn created resentment amongst voters therby having a negative effect and helping the counter argument. Not heard that one before.
One recommendation seems that no government should hold a referendum if any outcome is something they can't agree with. In this case it was to such an extent a PM actually resigned.
I think in summary it says the whole shooting match was a dog's dinner with little information for voters on the consequences of their decision.
The recommendations seem to shut the door on any such future referenda of this type. Unfortunately on this occasion it is too late and all the horses have bolted. Hopefully more thought and preparation will go into such actions in the future.
I think Cameron's legacy will be of a PM that severely damaged the Country for his own ends.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2017 14:14]

On the point that referendums shouldn't be held if an outcome is something the government can't agree with, this surely makes a future Scottish referendum impossible as all the main parties are pretty unionist?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The EU referendum on 15:40 - Apr 16 with 806 viewsClinton

I only read the summary. It criticised the Government for failing to do any preparation for a leave vote, amongst other findings.

"While the Government did not support a Leave vote, they nonetheless had a constitutional
and public obligation to prepare for both outcomes from the referendum. In 1975,
Whitehall undertook contingency planning for a possible vote in favour of withdrawal
from the European Communities and there was NO ADEQUATE REASON for a REFUSAL to
prepare for either eventuality in 2016. " (my capitals)

It angered me that there was no preparation for the eventuality of a leave vote.
You know, if the government spent time starting preparations for a leave vote, they would have started to discover the real issues and problems. and it would have left them better placed to argue the case for remain. The case for remain was very carelessly stitched together.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

The EU referendum on 15:54 - Apr 16 with 789 viewsexiledclaseboy

The EU referendum on 15:40 - Apr 16 by Clinton

I only read the summary. It criticised the Government for failing to do any preparation for a leave vote, amongst other findings.

"While the Government did not support a Leave vote, they nonetheless had a constitutional
and public obligation to prepare for both outcomes from the referendum. In 1975,
Whitehall undertook contingency planning for a possible vote in favour of withdrawal
from the European Communities and there was NO ADEQUATE REASON for a REFUSAL to
prepare for either eventuality in 2016. " (my capitals)

It angered me that there was no preparation for the eventuality of a leave vote.
You know, if the government spent time starting preparations for a leave vote, they would have started to discover the real issues and problems. and it would have left them better placed to argue the case for remain. The case for remain was very carelessly stitched together.

The same thing happened during the Scottish referendum in 2014. No work was done on what might happen in the event of a yes vote. The potential implications of how Brexit will look are still being worked through which is why I didn't understand the unholy rush to trigger A50 when the UK government is in no way prepared or in a position to negotiate the best outcome.

The EU referendum on 18:18 - Apr 16 with 738 viewsPrivate_Partz

The EU referendum on 15:19 - Apr 16 by Highjack

On the point that referendums shouldn't be held if an outcome is something the government can't agree with, this surely makes a future Scottish referendum impossible as all the main parties are pretty unionist?

Good point, although the whole of the U.K. can't vote on this one so it is slightly different. Plus I could not see May resigning as a result of a Yes vote in Scotland.
Perhaps this was a point they should have been thought of when devolution came into being. Namely referenda are not the domain of devolved assemblies. That would certainly have prevented NS going about her business.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2017 18:19]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Login to get fewer ads

The EU referendum on 18:29 - Apr 16 with 725 viewsPrivate_Partz

The EU referendum on 15:54 - Apr 16 by exiledclaseboy

The same thing happened during the Scottish referendum in 2014. No work was done on what might happen in the event of a yes vote. The potential implications of how Brexit will look are still being worked through which is why I didn't understand the unholy rush to trigger A50 when the UK government is in no way prepared or in a position to negotiate the best outcome.

I honestly think the Tories are warming to the idea of a No Deal exit and working under WTO. A low wage economy ( except for the privileged few) is appealing to them.
I was watching Davis ducking and diving during a Brexit Committee. It was very impressive how he dodged the bullets and even one of his Tory mates complimented him on being a 'professional at work' even though he is on a 'sticky wicket'.
Having said that he started to look a bit harassed at the end of the two day session. It was pretty obvious very little has been decided on how we progress or what outcome we would want.

The EU referendum on 18:31 - Apr 16 with 724 viewsexiledclaseboy

The EU referendum on 18:18 - Apr 16 by Private_Partz

Good point, although the whole of the U.K. can't vote on this one so it is slightly different. Plus I could not see May resigning as a result of a Yes vote in Scotland.
Perhaps this was a point they should have been thought of when devolution came into being. Namely referenda are not the domain of devolved assemblies. That would certainly have prevented NS going about her business.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2017 18:19]

Constitutional issues aren't devolved. For the 14 referendum the U.K. government/parliament transferred the requisite powers to the Scottish Parliament allowing it to legislate for the referendum. Presumably the U.K. government would have to do the same again for any second vote.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2017 18:33]

The EU referendum on 18:35 - Apr 16 with 716 viewsDafyddHuw

The EU referendum on 18:29 - Apr 16 by Private_Partz

I honestly think the Tories are warming to the idea of a No Deal exit and working under WTO. A low wage economy ( except for the privileged few) is appealing to them.
I was watching Davis ducking and diving during a Brexit Committee. It was very impressive how he dodged the bullets and even one of his Tory mates complimented him on being a 'professional at work' even though he is on a 'sticky wicket'.
Having said that he started to look a bit harassed at the end of the two day session. It was pretty obvious very little has been decided on how we progress or what outcome we would want.

It'll be a race to the bottom like we've never seen before.
The EU referendum on 09:16 - Apr 18 with 553 viewsKerouac

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/792928/Remainers-Project-Fear-Brexit-camp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

The EU referendum on 09:23 - Apr 18 with 551 viewsblueytheblue

The EU referendum on 12:43 - Apr 16 by exiledclaseboy

Not sure about your first sentence. I do know that the Chair of the committee (Bernard Jenkin) is an arch Brexiteer himself.

The Leave MPs walked out of the committee Hilary Benn was running, can't remember the name of it though.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

The EU referendum on 10:39 - Apr 18 with 525 viewsBarrySwan

The EU referendum on 18:29 - Apr 16 by Private_Partz

Surely the whole point which you constantly seem to miss, is that if the British public feel that the Tories are happy with the country working uder a low wage economy and don't like it then we can vote them out of office.

We couldn't vote the unelected comissars of the European Union who make so many of our laws and decisions for us out of office because they were never elected in the first place and never will be.

Presumably when you're talking about a low or non existent wage economy you might well be referring to those 60 odd labour MPs still employing unpaid interns?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024