Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why doesn't Labour veto this? 17:49 - Apr 18 with 1171 viewsGlyn1

If Labour thinks that they are going to lose a lot of MPs then why don't they simply not agree to a General Election being held?

My default position is that it's because Corbyn is an idiot but there must be something else that I'm missing.

When Nicola Sturgeon called for another Scottish Referendum Theresa May immediately slapped her down by refusing it, because May thought that she might lose it, which was the correct thing to do, so why doesn't Corbyn do the same. (Turkeys don't have to vote for Christmas.)

And how can the Conservatives pass a law saying that we have 5-year fixed-term Parliaments, and then ignore it at the first opportunity.

[Post edited 18 Apr 2017 18:30]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 18:00 - Apr 18 with 1156 viewsblueytheblue

Tories didn't pass a law. Parliament did. Nor are Tories ignoring it - as per that law you cite, an election can be called with the approval of 2/3 of the commons. So not really ignoring a law as following it.

Labour are voting for it because May has tucked them up good and proper. Many cried "She wasn't elected!" whilst conveniently ignoring Brown. So now they have the election they called for. Equally, Labour et al want to be obstinate during Brexit negotiations, well they've been called out. Lib Dems can campaign as the party against Brexit because they have nothing to lose. Labour on the other hand have to mute their opposition for fear of being wiped out.

May slapped Sturgeon down for the simple fact Sturgeon was using Brexit as an excuse to play the only available card she has - FREEEEEEEEEEDOM - in the hope of people overlooking SNP's record at Holyrood. Scotland aren't part of EU. UK is. So FREEEEDOM is nothing more than a calculated attempt to derail Brexit by throwing any and everything in - Sturgeon wouldn't want to be out of UK and outside EU...

Labour MPs who are in safe seats will vote for it. It's their best chance of getting rid of Corbyn before the oncoming purge by the Corbynistas. After all, having been wiped out having gone left, they'll revert to type and think the public didn't view them as being left enough.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 18:01 - Apr 18 with 1156 viewssiralan

Because Labour have been screaming since last summer that Theresa is a unelected PM.

Now TM is giving JC a chance to kick her out and JC stupidly thinks he's a chance.
Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 18:28 - Apr 18 with 1134 viewsGlyn1

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 18:00 - Apr 18 by blueytheblue

Tories didn't pass a law. Parliament did. Nor are Tories ignoring it - as per that law you cite, an election can be called with the approval of 2/3 of the commons. So not really ignoring a law as following it.

Labour are voting for it because May has tucked them up good and proper. Many cried "She wasn't elected!" whilst conveniently ignoring Brown. So now they have the election they called for. Equally, Labour et al want to be obstinate during Brexit negotiations, well they've been called out. Lib Dems can campaign as the party against Brexit because they have nothing to lose. Labour on the other hand have to mute their opposition for fear of being wiped out.

May slapped Sturgeon down for the simple fact Sturgeon was using Brexit as an excuse to play the only available card she has - FREEEEEEEEEEDOM - in the hope of people overlooking SNP's record at Holyrood. Scotland aren't part of EU. UK is. So FREEEEDOM is nothing more than a calculated attempt to derail Brexit by throwing any and everything in - Sturgeon wouldn't want to be out of UK and outside EU...

Labour MPs who are in safe seats will vote for it. It's their best chance of getting rid of Corbyn before the oncoming purge by the Corbynistas. After all, having been wiped out having gone left, they'll revert to type and think the public didn't view them as being left enough.

Of course the Tories are ignoring it - I didn't suggest that they wouldn't do things by the rulebook but they campaigned on having 5-year terms and now we're having an election only 2 years after they last one, solely because they believe that they can win it. I've no particular objection to that, but let's agree that they're doing it for their own party reasons rather than for them to hypocritically pretend that they're doing it for the good of the country.

"Being obstinate during Brexit negotiations"? Labour voted for Article 50. If over the next 2 years they will be arguing for a Soft Brexit rather than a Hard Brexit, then a lot of Tories would have agreed with that.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2017 18:29]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 18:32 - Apr 18 with 1120 viewsblueytheblue

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 18:28 - Apr 18 by Glyn1

Of course the Tories are ignoring it - I didn't suggest that they wouldn't do things by the rulebook but they campaigned on having 5-year terms and now we're having an election only 2 years after they last one, solely because they believe that they can win it. I've no particular objection to that, but let's agree that they're doing it for their own party reasons rather than for them to hypocritically pretend that they're doing it for the good of the country.

"Being obstinate during Brexit negotiations"? Labour voted for Article 50. If over the next 2 years they will be arguing for a Soft Brexit rather than a Hard Brexit, then a lot of Tories would have agreed with that.

It would suit Tories for Corbyn to have up to 2020 to mess Labour up even further. The Corbynista coup would be a done deal by then.

Labour have argued they would vote against a deal. F*ck Labour up over this, means can focus on getting the best possible deal for Britain rather than having to worry about whining Labour.

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 18:49 - Apr 18 with 1087 viewsEdmundo

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 18:32 - Apr 18 by blueytheblue

It would suit Tories for Corbyn to have up to 2020 to mess Labour up even further. The Corbynista coup would be a done deal by then.

Labour have argued they would vote against a deal. F*ck Labour up over this, means can focus on getting the best possible deal for Britain rather than having to worry about whining Labour.

Along with the Libs, who may not have an MP after this election.

👍

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 18:55 - Apr 18 with 1078 viewsblueytheblue

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 18:49 - Apr 18 by Edmundo

Along with the Libs, who may not have an MP after this election.

👍

No, Lib Dems will take seats from Labour in staunchly pro Remain regions, I've zero doubt about that. Not enough to really matter, but Tories and Lib Dems will squeeze the Labour vote down big time.

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 19:19 - Apr 18 with 1046 viewsLeonWasGod

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 18:28 - Apr 18 by Glyn1

Yes, of course they're doing it for their own benefit. This is opportunistic. Not only because of the mess Labour's in but also UKIP who have been a thorn in the Tories side for a while. They want to claw back ground lost to them and finish them if they can I suspect.

As for the blocking Brexit angle, May has been spreading lies about this so it's no surprise Bluey trots out the party line. See what May wrote about the Stoke by-election candidates, for example. She accused them of blocking the A50 bill when in fact they voted for it.

I wouldn't trust a word that comes from her mouth.
Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 19:24 - Apr 18 with 1041 viewsblueytheblue

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 19:19 - Apr 18 by LeonWasGod

Yes, of course they're doing it for their own benefit. This is opportunistic. Not only because of the mess Labour's in but also UKIP who have been a thorn in the Tories side for a while. They want to claw back ground lost to them and finish them if they can I suspect.

As for the blocking Brexit angle, May has been spreading lies about this so it's no surprise Bluey trots out the party line. See what May wrote about the Stoke by-election candidates, for example. She accused them of blocking the A50 bill when in fact they voted for it.

I wouldn't trust a word that comes from her mouth.

So Labour haven't said they'd vote against a deal then?

Login to get fewer ads

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 19:30 - Apr 18 with 1036 viewsNeathJack

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 19:24 - Apr 18 by blueytheblue

Labour have said they will vote against it if they deem it not in the interests of the British people i.e. A Tory hard brexit taking us out of the single market and making us a low paid tax haven.

Which is a perfectly reasonable stance.
Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 19:37 - Apr 18 with 1008 viewsKerouac

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 19:24 - Apr 18 by blueytheblue

Of course they have.
Have seen that slippery c*nt Keir Starmer trotting that one out a few times.

They have tied themselves up in knots over Brexit, fair dues.

...and people in the Labour party were rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of the Tories ripping themselves apart over Brexit!
Some really fecking dumb people in positions of responsibility in the Labour Party.

Anyone can say what they want about the Tories but one thing they 'aint is stupid.
In my experience they are clever, devious, scheming bastards who usually get the strategy right.
This has been coming a long, long time. On June the 8th Labour will ride out to their Little Big Horn.

Obviously I hope that this Labour cull will see the Liberal Democrats rise and in the medium/long term (once the Brexit question is settled) hopefully we could become the opposition or at least the regular Kingmaker.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2017 19:38]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 19:49 - Apr 18 with 985 viewssiralan

Now UKIPs job is done the Conservatives are going to get a massive amount of their voters who obviously wish for as smooth a Brexit as possible.

You only had to listen to the radio and watch the TV news today to hear the amount of people who plan to jump on the Conservative ship.
Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 20:38 - Apr 18 with 942 viewswaynekerr55

Question is will the waste of seminal fluid (who probably swallowed a load of Jeremy's) retain her seat. Ed Balls had his comeuppance in the last GE so there is hope for this one 😂

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 20:46 - Apr 18 with 926 viewsJoe_bradshaw

If an opposition party doesn't want a general election what does that say about them?

What's the point of being in opposition if you have no ambition to become the government?

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 20:49 - Apr 18 with 909 viewsperchrockjack

Kerouac

Those are the attributes we need in leaders

It's a devious world

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 20:54 - Apr 18 with 893 viewsFlashberryjack

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 20:38 - Apr 18 by waynekerr55

Question is will the waste of seminal fluid (who probably swallowed a load of Jeremy's) retain her seat. Ed Balls had his comeuppance in the last GE so there is hope for this one 😂

Ed Balls' appearances on strictly come prancing was brilliantly awful.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 20:55 - Apr 18 with 891 viewswaynekerr55

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 20:54 - Apr 18 by Flashberryjack

Ed Balls' appearances on strictly come prancing was brilliantly awful.

I've got to say I did warm to him after that!😂

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 21:25 - Apr 18 with 868 viewsKilkennyjack

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 19:37 - Apr 18 by Kerouac

Of course they have.
Have seen that slippery c*nt Keir Starmer trotting that one out a few times.

They have tied themselves up in knots over Brexit, fair dues.

...and people in the Labour party were rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of the Tories ripping themselves apart over Brexit!
Some really fecking dumb people in positions of responsibility in the Labour Party.

Anyone can say what they want about the Tories but one thing they 'aint is stupid.
In my experience they are clever, devious, scheming bastards who usually get the strategy right.
This has been coming a long, long time. On June the 8th Labour will ride out to their Little Big Horn.

Obviously I hope that this Labour cull will see the Liberal Democrats rise and in the medium/long term (once the Brexit question is settled) hopefully we could become the opposition or at least the regular Kingmaker.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2017 19:38]

Keir Starmer would have a chance of beating Theresa the Appeaser.
Especially with Dai Millie and Chuka.
Maybe work with the other progressive parties...?

Jezza is simply a knobhead.

Beware of the Risen People

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 21:29 - Apr 18 with 858 viewsFlashberryjack

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 20:55 - Apr 18 by waynekerr55

I've got to say I did warm to him after that!😂

Really ?

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 21:29 - Apr 18 with 858 viewsKerouac

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 21:25 - Apr 18 by Kilkennyjack

I have to agree that the likes of Starmer, Chuka and David Milliband would stand considerably more chance than Jezza, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 21:37 - Apr 18 with 843 viewsblueytheblue

Why doesn't Labour veto this? on 21:25 - Apr 18 by Kilkennyjack

You mean the Chuka that someone from his parliamentary office edited his own wikipedia entry to include the phrase "Chuka has been referred to as Britain's Obama"?

Interesting.

Starmer quit a consultancy role... with the law firm engaged by Gina Miller. Think we know what his Brexit views are... not necessarily a good choice.

David Milliband is the dark horse, He'd have to get a seat back in the Commons. Can't see Corbynistas wanting him on the selection lists especially when Corbyn has to fall on his sword. He'd be by far the best choice of those available. He'd have to fight the unions mind - every ballot round he was in the lead until the last when the union votes backed Ed.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024