Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
181 years ago yesterday, big underdog fought for its life, back against the wall 04:44 - Apr 22 with 748 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Yes, this is a FB Only Board Thread, if you will please indulge me.

Just outside of Houston, when the Santa Anna's army took it’s afternoon siesta from their long march, the Texians (a group a bit more Hispanic and less WASPY than the movies usually indicate) attacked at 4:30 PM. They charged the Mexican army with cries of “Remember the Alamo!” & “Remember Goliad!" - 2 places where they had been massacred and shown no quarter in the only major battles in the Texas War of Independence, leading to this decisive afternoon.

Eighteen minutes later it was over. In what can be described as not only one of the shortest battles in history, but also one of the most decisive ones as well.

The Texian Army in that short time had killed six hindered fifty Mexican soldiers and captured another three hundred. Moreover, the Texian Army only lost eleven men with another thirty wounded in battle. They were out-maned 1200 to 900 as well, just for the record. Texas was free.

General Santa Anna, given quarter, went home defeated, and lived another 40 years, ruling Mexico again off and on for most of it.

Must be noted, Texas became a slave Republic for the next 10 years. Then a slave state for 15 years. Then a slave member of the traitorous rebels fighting a huge war ONLY for the right to keep their slaves for 4 years, which thankfully they lost. So there is that, too, and that sucks.

Buuut.........getting back to spirit of this rant, there are times when pride takes over, when your backs are against the wall, especially when you are HOME. This club may be too much of a basket case by now for it to matter, but I expect to see 11 guys in white playing like they think their lives depend on victory.

And knowing the pride of the Jack Army, I expect them to be worked into that frenzy by YOU.

Win or lose, I am proud to support this club, but a lot of that pride comes from a spirit that has been completely missing from the guys out there, most of the season.

But even this year, there have been brief glimpses of it, and today is the best day yet for the Jack Army to take over, yell your freaking heads off, and bring back that spirit. If the Swans lose sloppy today, I can accept that. I just don't want us to go down meekly at the end.

So please, sing and scream yall's asses off for them today, you Jack Bastards!

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

181 years ago yesterday, big underdog fought for its life, back against the wall on 06:55 - Apr 22 with 700 viewsairedale

Well said Tummer! We will have to shout out something like 'remember Hull!'
181 years ago yesterday, big underdog fought for its life, back against the wall on 17:34 - Apr 22 with 535 viewsTummer_from_Texas

181 years ago yesterday, big underdog fought for its life, back against the wall on 06:55 - Apr 22 by airedale

Well said Tummer! We will have to shout out something like 'remember Hull!'

I'd say the Liberty seemed to have that energy I was hoping for.

Probably could have shortened my OP to "Play Leon." and said the same thing.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

181 years ago yesterday, big underdog fought for its life, back against the wall on 20:50 - Apr 22 with 449 viewssherpajacob

I've got one of those knives made famous by that guy that died at the Alamo.

You know the bloke.

Stanley

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

181 years ago yesterday, big underdog fought for its life, back against the wall on 21:11 - Apr 22 with 434 viewsTummer_from_Texas

181 years ago yesterday, big underdog fought for its life, back against the wall on 20:50 - Apr 22 by sherpajacob

I've got one of those knives made famous by that guy that died at the Alamo.

You know the bloke.

Stanley

Ziggy Alamodust (Bowie)
[Post edited 22 Apr 2017 21:13]

181 years ago yesterday, big underdog fought for its life, back against the wall on 21:13 - Apr 22 with 427 viewsblueytheblue

Wouldn't it have saved a few lives just to have built a wall?

Poll: Alternate POTY final

181 years ago yesterday, big underdog fought for its life, back against the wall on 21:18 - Apr 22 with 421 viewsdickythorpe

Tummer the 11 in White did their bit today.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024