Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
LONDON MARATHON 08:37 - Apr 23 with 3870 viewsowainglyndwr

Does it bring a lump to your throat for those that have done it?
It does for me, I would of loved to do it again.
Greatest Marathon in the world
LONDON MARATHON on 13:31 - Apr 24 with 1217 viewsBlasterJack

LONDON MARATHON on 12:36 - Apr 24 by glynthomas

How did most of you get in,its been a pain trying to get in as a runner on your own,had a load of reject magazines over the years,and plenty of virgin jackets as well. The only way to get in now is to run for a charity and then you need to collect £500+ in most cases, thats harder to do than running in the thing!!

Had rejection letters 3 years in a row then bit the bullet and applied for a charity place in 2014 which I was accepted for. Had to raise a minimum of £1850 which was hard but as I was running for a charity that meant something to me was a lot easier.

I'm not aware of any charities that ask for less than £1000 sponsorship - it costs them around £500 to reserve each "golden bond" place.

Got in through the general ballot for 2015 (still ran for charity but didn't have to raise a set amount which was a Godsend).

They've changed the ballot system again since then so you have even less of a chance of a place. There were something like 280,000 applicants for approx. 25-30k ballot places last year.
The rest of the numbers are made up of club allocations, elite/championship runners, charity spots, good for age place and deferments.

You can understand why it appeals as it's so iconic and is on a lot of people's "Bucket List".
That said, there are plenty of other events out there of a similar calibre which you can get in as long as you pay your entrance fee.

Well done to all runners yesterday - looked warm out there.

"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts. And I looked, and behold a pale horse, and his name that sat on him was Death, and hell followed with him."

LONDON MARATHON on 13:34 - Apr 24 with 1210 viewsCountyJim

I have done it three times my best time was 4 hrs 31 my worst 6hrs 2 my calf went

That was late 90s mind but great experience
LONDON MARATHON on 19:26 - Apr 24 with 1163 viewssquarebear

I went up to watch yesterday, expecting it to be dull,but it was damned brilliant.

One of our kids was running it. There were 20 of us, family and friends, all looking out for her. And when thus little figure appeared looking utterly shattered we all went crazy, and she picked herself up and went tearing off again. I'm tingling. Even if you don't run it there's a lot to be said for simply going along to watch.
LONDON MARATHON on 22:54 - Apr 24 with 1136 viewsStarsky

LONDON MARATHON on 21:01 - Apr 23 by marchamjack

Cheers Wayne will do later. Thank you.
[Post edited 23 Apr 2017 22:57]

Me too PM or put up a link please

It's just the internet, init.

LONDON MARATHON on 22:59 - Apr 24 with 1129 viewsStarsky

Did the 1982 BP Welsh Marathon. Starting from Neath.
4 hours 52 mins 38 seconds. Things I learnt?

1: get Vaseline for your nipples. My nipples were like pineapple cubes by the end.
2: don't wear all black like I did. I absorbed all of the sun for everyone around me.
3: don't go too fast ... I was in the top 50 after 10 miles... big mistake.

LONDON MARATHON on 01:06 - Apr 25 with 1108 viewsKerouac

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-39694003

Did themselves and us proud didn't they.

Anyone know them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

LONDON MARATHON on 02:01 - Apr 25 with 1097 viewsPURe_Evil

LONDON MARATHON on 01:06 - Apr 25 by Kerouac

Anyone know them?

I think its great that people do it but f*ck me its boring to watch.
LONDON MARATHON on 07:23 - Apr 25 with 1077 viewsmarchamjack

LONDON MARATHON on 22:54 - Apr 24 by Starsky

Me too PM or put up a link please

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/huw-mellor1

Cheers Starsky. Link up for you and anyone else interested. Comment on boring to watch below - possibly yes on tv, but at the event itself, wow, the constant level of support and noise and chanting and encouragement of runners...is something you should try to experience at least once in your life. It is just mind blowing.

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Login to get fewer ads

LONDON MARATHON on 07:32 - Apr 25 with 1075 viewsPURe_Evil

LONDON MARATHON on 07:23 - Apr 25 by marchamjack

Cheers Starsky. Link up for you and anyone else interested. Comment on boring to watch below - possibly yes on tv, but at the event itself, wow, the constant level of support and noise and chanting and encouragement of runners...is something you should try to experience at least once in your life. It is just mind blowing.

I'm sure it is, I admire people who take the time to train for this - can't see myself being that committed, might go down and watch one day though!
LONDON MARATHON on 11:51 - Apr 25 with 1040 viewsStarsky

LONDON MARATHON on 07:23 - Apr 25 by marchamjack

It's not much mate but I just donated a tenner in there for you.
Well done

LONDON MARATHON on 12:26 - Apr 25 with 1028 viewsGreatBritton

LONDON MARATHON on 01:06 - Apr 25 by Kerouac

Anyone know them?

me
LONDON MARATHON on 12:33 - Apr 25 with 1021 viewsGreatBritton

I've been up to watch it for the last two years. Stayed in Camden last year and Canada Water this year. Brilliant weekends. Tate Modern, Comedy Store, The Globe then the marathon and Borough Market for best street food in London. What's not to love? Swansea Harriers are great and well done Chorlton runners for offering Matthew Rees accommodation and train fare to next year's event.

Incidentally, Louise Minchen and Susanna Reid were fighting it out as to who'd get the exclusive interview with Matthew for Monday's breakfast show. Some might say tough choice.
LONDON MARATHON on 12:47 - Apr 25 with 1013 viewsmarchamjack

LONDON MARATHON on 11:51 - Apr 25 by Starsky

It's not much mate but I just donated a tenner in there for you.
Well done

Cheers mate. Really appreciate your support here. Thank you. Very kind.

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

LONDON MARATHON on 12:54 - Apr 25 with 1009 viewsglynthomas

Been on the Runners World forum site they give a good run down on the expectations on getting in,i may give it another go next week in applying. Thought of doing one abroad Iceland for one for some reason or the one in France where they give you a glass of wine when you pass different vineyards lol.....
LONDON MARATHON on 13:05 - Apr 25 with 999 viewssbwng

I did it in 2013 and it nearly killed me - but I wasn't physically and mentally strong enough for it. Would love to do it again as I'm back running for the first time in four years. My mother isn't in the best of health, so I'm pounding the treadmills and pavements again to try and keep me sane, rather than pound the lager and vodka

Goulet

LONDON MARATHON on 13:42 - Apr 25 with 983 viewsKerouac

LONDON MARATHON on 12:26 - Apr 25 by GreatBritton

me

Has Josh Griffiths always shown potential? Has he been running for the Harriers since he was a boy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

LONDON MARATHON on 16:41 - Apr 25 with 959 viewsBLAZE

LONDON MARATHON on 13:05 - Apr 25 by sbwng

I did it in 2013 and it nearly killed me - but I wasn't physically and mentally strong enough for it. Would love to do it again as I'm back running for the first time in four years. My mother isn't in the best of health, so I'm pounding the treadmills and pavements again to try and keep me sane, rather than pound the lager and vodka

All the best to your mother mate, stay strong
LONDON MARATHON on 16:50 - Apr 25 with 953 viewswaynekerr55

LONDON MARATHON on 12:33 - Apr 25 by GreatBritton

I've been up to watch it for the last two years. Stayed in Camden last year and Canada Water this year. Brilliant weekends. Tate Modern, Comedy Store, The Globe then the marathon and Borough Market for best street food in London. What's not to love? Swansea Harriers are great and well done Chorlton runners for offering Matthew Rees accommodation and train fare to next year's event.

Incidentally, Louise Minchen and Susanna Reid were fighting it out as to who'd get the exclusive interview with Matthew for Monday's breakfast show. Some might say tough choice.

Borough Market 😍😍😍😍😍

Mr Britton - are you a fan of Indian cuisine? If so, I can recommend places for you 👍

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

LONDON MARATHON on 17:09 - Apr 25 with 941 viewsCooperman

LONDON MARATHON on 16:50 - Apr 25 by waynekerr55

Borough Market 😍😍😍😍😍

Mr Britton - are you a fan of Indian cuisine? If so, I can recommend places for you 👍

Recommend away...

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

LONDON MARATHON on 17:12 - Apr 25 with 936 viewswaynekerr55

LONDON MARATHON on 17:09 - Apr 25 by Cooperman

Recommend away...

Regency Club - Queensbury Circle (Jubilee line Queensbury Station)

Cafe Spice Namaste - Aldgate East Station.Cyrus Todiwala still cooks there

Top quality me old!

LONDON MARATHON on 01:46 - Apr 26 with 877 viewsStarsky

LONDON MARATHON on 17:12 - Apr 25 by waynekerr55

Regency Club - Queensbury Circle (Jubilee line Queensbury Station)

Cafe Spice Namaste - Aldgate East Station.Cyrus Todiwala still cooks there

Top quality me old!

No wonder you keep so much toilet paper in your cupboard

LONDON MARATHON on 06:58 - Apr 26 with 852 viewswaynekerr55

LONDON MARATHON on 01:46 - Apr 26 by Starsky

No wonder you keep so much toilet paper in your cupboard

It's kitchen roll, mun 😂

LONDON MARATHON on 10:05 - Apr 26 with 822 viewsLegend83

So some utterly bizarre instances of defying the laws of probability.

1) A guy I went to Uni with also ran on Sunday. We started at the different times, didn't run together, didn't see each other yet completed the course in the exact same time TO THE SECOND.

2) A guy I went to Brynmill Primary School with was also running - again we didn't start together or run together. Someone sent me an iPlayer feed of me crossing the finish line...and I noticed that running right next to me, almost shoulder to shoulder, was that same lad! We crossed at EXACTLY THE SAME TIME. We were both so fecked we didn't even notice! Incidentally his name is RIchie Pugh, ex-Ospreys, Scarlets and Wales-7s openside flanker.

Madness!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024