Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? 11:37 - Apr 25 with 7009 viewsWingstandwood

Quote: "That is because, for decades, the Labour Party has taken people for granted in Wales — just as it has in other communities across Britain."

Maybe this is the time that the chickens finally came home to roost? Wales ignored by Cardiff centric and Cardiff biased Welsh Labour. The end result of Welsh Labour economic partition thats only priority has been Cardiff and SE Wales. Looks like keep em poor to keep em voting Labour strategy has outlived its purpose?

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/coalition-chaos-wales-may-labour-12939629

Argus!

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 11:43 - Apr 25 with 3971 viewsperchrockjack

Maybe Wales moving into 20th century.

Maybe ,people realise they don't have to vote by " class"

Maybe, people ,even in Wales feel Corbyn does cannot lead us ALL in the difficult times ahead

Maybe, some feel Di Abbott a disaster in waiting

Maybe McDonnell turns people s stomachs

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 11:51 - Apr 25 with 3960 viewsHighjack

Nothing would please me more than to see Labour decimated in Wales and specifically Neath but it's not going to happen.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 12:04 - Apr 25 with 3944 viewsWingstandwood

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 11:51 - Apr 25 by Highjack

Nothing would please me more than to see Labour decimated in Wales and specifically Neath but it's not going to happen.

You may indeed be very correct, that aside the fact Labour can no longer take seats like Gower, Bridgend, Wrexham etc for granted must surely send out some kind of warning/wake-up call to em. Perhaps Labour might realise people are starting to question both Labour Wales track record and their own (once unbreakable!) ballot box loyalty.

Argus!

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 12:04 - Apr 25 with 3937 viewsperchrockjack

Conservatives can hold Gower and gain previous seats north Wales

Neath, Swansea east, valleys, Llanelli simply basket cases

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 12:10 - Apr 25 with 3933 viewsLeonWasGod

Won't happen and hope it doesn't for the GE - last thing we want in Wales and the UK is total Tory domination.
It's the council elections where we could do with a change more imo. Again, I suspect it won't change.

When it comes to the Assembly, it would be interesting to see how a Tory Assembly would get on with Tories in Westminster. Austerity would hit them just as hard, so I'd be very interested to see what excuses they would come up with. Given the way that targets are being missed and services are failing in England, in the NHS, schools, social care, etc., I suspect things wouldn't improve here under a Tory Assembly. If Tory Westminster rule is a guide, they'd likely get worse.

It would be an interesting experiment, but no fun for anyone who's vulnerable and in need of a support. Anyway, that's a long way off as we've only just had the Assembly elections.
Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 13:14 - Apr 25 with 3879 viewsSPboy

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 12:10 - Apr 25 by LeonWasGod

Won't happen and hope it doesn't for the GE - last thing we want in Wales and the UK is total Tory domination.
It's the council elections where we could do with a change more imo. Again, I suspect it won't change.

When it comes to the Assembly, it would be interesting to see how a Tory Assembly would get on with Tories in Westminster. Austerity would hit them just as hard, so I'd be very interested to see what excuses they would come up with. Given the way that targets are being missed and services are failing in England, in the NHS, schools, social care, etc., I suspect things wouldn't improve here under a Tory Assembly. If Tory Westminster rule is a guide, they'd likely get worse.

It would be an interesting experiment, but no fun for anyone who's vulnerable and in need of a support. Anyway, that's a long way off as we've only just had the Assembly elections.

The ineptitude of the WAG is staggering. Ever since the beginning of the assembly our education & health performance has fallen further and further behind the rest of the UK. Add to that the lowest wages in the U.K.

I really don't follow your logic in suggesting that a Tory assembly could actually perform even worse? Is it really possible to sink any lower than already rock bottom of the league in the key performance indicators of government?

May smells blood, hence her visit to Wales today. We won't know if anyone can actually perform worse than Welsh Labour unless someone else gets a shot at it
Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 13:47 - Apr 25 with 3837 viewsHighjack

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 13:14 - Apr 25 by SPboy

The ineptitude of the WAG is staggering. Ever since the beginning of the assembly our education & health performance has fallen further and further behind the rest of the UK. Add to that the lowest wages in the U.K.

I really don't follow your logic in suggesting that a Tory assembly could actually perform even worse? Is it really possible to sink any lower than already rock bottom of the league in the key performance indicators of government?

May smells blood, hence her visit to Wales today. We won't know if anyone can actually perform worse than Welsh Labour unless someone else gets a shot at it

Exactly, we've sunk as low as we can under this labour stranglehold, let's give another lot a go and see if they can do any better, and if they are just as shit we'll vote them out next time.

It's how it's supposed to work but it never has worked that way due to tribalism. Labour has dominated this area for the best part of a century yet it is one of the worst off areas of the country and some say even Europe.

I don't care if it's the Tories, plaid, lib dems or the f'ing Monster loonies, something has to change.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 14:47 - Apr 25 with 3803 viewspikeypaul

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 12:04 - Apr 25 by perchrockjack

Conservatives can hold Gower and gain previous seats north Wales

Neath, Swansea east, valleys, Llanelli simply basket cases

If Hitler had a red rosette labour would still win in those constituencies.

The people there get what they deserve.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Login to get fewer ads

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 15:34 - Apr 25 with 3770 viewsyescomeon

Labour or Tory will make no difference. The only way Wales will get itself out of this mess is independence.

Upthecity!

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 15:59 - Apr 25 with 3749 viewsClinton

With guys like this standing in my constituency, I think they need a kick up the backside.
Geraint Davies - true man of the people:
"Mr Davies won the seat of Croydon Central in Labour's landslide victory of 1997 but lost it in 2005, when the seat was considered a key marginal. His expenses file shows that in the financial year before his defeat, he claimed a total of £176,026 on top of his £57,485 salary — more than any other MP."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5431669/MPs-expenses-Ger

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 16:29 - Apr 25 with 3718 viewsHighjack

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 15:34 - Apr 25 by yescomeon

Labour or Tory will make no difference. The only way Wales will get itself out of this mess is independence.

I'd imagine that labour and the Tories would still maintain a significant presence in an independent Wales.

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 18:26 - Apr 25 with 3671 viewsjohnlangy

Correct.
Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 18:46 - Apr 25 with 3651 viewsrock1n

Such a strange situation for myself. I voted Tory in 2015 but can't support them this time yet I've long been calling for labour to be kicked out in Wales.

Btw Leanne Wood when is she going to stop embarrassing us. She is a nightmare for inward investment.

Excellent to see signs Wales or more especially South Wales is starting to wake up.

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 18:48 - Apr 25 with 3640 viewsblueytheblue

Reverse situation for me in a way, Rock.

Vote Tory general election, having to vote Labour in the council elections due to a specific local issue. Looks like Labour could well lose overall control of our council meaning that issue will really come to a head.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 19:23 - Apr 25 with 3609 viewsKerouac

Did you see Leanne on the BBC earlier?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/796393/Plaid-Cymru-leader-Leanne-Wood-says-hard

I have to laugh.
The Welsh Assembly has recently (about 2 years ago) opened an office in America, a sort of embassy...Gareth Morgan is sort of the Ambassador for Wales...trying to drum up more trade with America and specifically trying to secure more American investment in the Welsh economy.
Brexit and Donald Trump is like a gift from heaven (if there was a heaven) for Wales at this time and yet all some can do is cry about the single market.

Presumably, if we secure a tonne of investment from the States (post Brexit), Welsh Labour will try to claim all the credit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 19:28 - Apr 25 with 3595 viewsploppy

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 18:46 - Apr 25 by rock1n

Such a strange situation for myself. I voted Tory in 2015 but can't support them this time yet I've long been calling for labour to be kicked out in Wales.

Btw Leanne Wood when is she going to stop embarrassing us. She is a nightmare for inward investment.

Excellent to see signs Wales or more especially South Wales is starting to wake up.

Any reason you used the reflexive pronoun "myself"? It should be the objective pronoun "me" in this context. The incorrect use of reflexive pronouns has become almost as prevalent as the misuse of the word "literally". Garry Monk started it.
Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 19:45 - Apr 25 with 3580 viewsFlashberryjack

The Labour party is well and truly f*cked I'm sorry to say, I was brought up in a mining village that was Labour through and through.

There's been many a good Labour MP over the years, MP's that fought for the rights of the working class, but that was years ago.

They were replaced over a period of time with the likes of Prescott, Blair, Abbot, Mandelson, Corbyn to name but a few.

A Labour controlled Wales hasn't been good, a Conservative controlled Wales ???

Shame on the people that wrecked the Labour party for their own political leanings rather than the needs of the people.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 19:57 - Apr 25 with 3560 viewsrock1n

old habits die hard though, I really hope that plaid get decimated more than labour though
[Post edited 25 Apr 2017 21:06]

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 21:29 - Apr 25 with 3515 viewsKilkennyjack

Well its not the fault of WAG that Wales is one of the poorest regions in Europe. You can thank the uk govt for that.

Thats why the nice European people gave us billions before we told them to feck right off.

Btw the wag did not spend £850 billion bailing out bankers, £160 billion on Trident, £40 billion on illegal wars, to say nothing of Heathrow expansion, crossrail, and Brexit.

Yes lets have a good laugh at WAG ....

Beware of the Risen People

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 22:38 - Apr 25 with 3468 viewsEdmundo

What.........😁

Lead by Leanne I suppose 😁

Best laugh I've had in decades👍

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 09:48 - Apr 26 with 3349 viewsyescomeon

I'm not particularly fussed on what party it is that delivers independence (or what leader). Outside of the independence issue (which imo is the biggest issue facing Wales atm) my views probably most closely align with the Lib Dems (the normal ones not Kerouac's ones), who actually said they said they would support independence if there was public support (capital if there). There is obviously one party that is going to push the issue and that is Plaid. Like it or not, we are going to have to have the discussion as a nation at some point in the not to distant future.

I don't think the poor man of Europe narrative is helpful for the cause, but you would have to be very naive, or extremely blinkered in your view to think that the loss of EU funding is not going to hurt Wales (whether you agree with how the money is spent or not, but that is a local issue). I would much prefer stories like this one were how we chose to project ourselves:

http://landing.newscientist.com/wales-life-sciences-hub-adfeature/

If the shackles placed on the assembly by Westminster were lifted, we would have the freedom to develop policy to encourage more industries to Wales and see more stories like the one above. Whatever flag flies over the government buildings is neither here nor there, but it should be a fully fledged Parliament not just the glorified Country Council it is now.

Anyway, if the UK wants to stay together then it is going to have to change, perhaps a more federal model, but I think something resembling the EU on a smaller scale would be more appropriate (perhaps in independence is a misnomer and devo-max or home rule is more appropriate). In fact, I have absolutely no problem with idea of the UK as a united group of nations closely tied together by our cohabitation on these small Islands, it's Great Britain (which I know technically no longer exists, but the concept is certainly still alive and conflated with the UK) that is the problem for me, more specifically this entity Great Britain subsuming its constituent parts (I doubt there would be a great deal of support even in England for this, and they stand to lose the least by it given British culture is just English culture).

I've gone on a bit there but that's a response to a number of posts above (those worth responding to at least). I got on a bit of a roll with my writing yesterday so didn't check back in after my post.

Upthecity!

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 09:50 - Apr 26 with 3349 viewsjohnlangy

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 22:38 - Apr 25 by Edmundo

What.........😁

Lead by Leanne I suppose 😁

Best laugh I've had in decades👍

SPboy said this;

'May smells blood, hence her visit to Wales today. We won't know if anyone can actually perform worse than Welsh Labour unless someone else gets a shot at it'

He's suggesting that Wales may be better run by the Conservatives while you laugh at the thought of Wales being run by Welsh people.

A sad state of affairs.
Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 10:05 - Apr 26 with 3330 viewsKerouac

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 09:50 - Apr 26 by johnlangy

SPboy said this;

'May smells blood, hence her visit to Wales today. We won't know if anyone can actually perform worse than Welsh Labour unless someone else gets a shot at it'

He's suggesting that Wales may be better run by the Conservatives while you laugh at the thought of Wales being run by Welsh people.

A sad state of affairs.

The Welsh Conservatives are, in the main, "Welsh people".
Same as the rest of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 12:24 - Apr 26 with 3277 viewsEdmundo

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 09:50 - Apr 26 by johnlangy

SPboy said this;

A sad state of affairs.

If someone can tell me what good Leanne and Plaid have done to better than the education and property of Wales?

I am a proud Welshman, but do not think Plaid have ever done anything much to improve my and my neighbours living standards!

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

Wales A Labour Stronghold? Not Anymore? on 15:27 - Apr 26 with 3205 viewsLeonWasGod

I was only wondering that as things have got worse under a Tory administration in England, so maybe would do here. No way to know of course.

Agree things are bad under Labour though. Would be interesting to see relative NHS spending between England and Wales, as I've no idea if this is a funding issue or mismanagement issue. And if it's mismanagement, is it at WG level or hospital trusts? I genuinely don't know - not looking to score political points on this as it's too important to us.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024