Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Noam Chomsky 12:45 - Apr 25 with 2776 viewsPURe_Evil

One of the most intellectual minds on the planet - compare this guy to Donald Trump and then wonder how the f*ck someone like Trump gets elected ?

The world is f*cked!
Noam Chomsky on 12:53 - Apr 25 with 2753 viewsLeonWasGod

People don't want intellect in their politics. They want slogans, and walls, and no Mexicans.

Edit - substitute 'strict border control' for 'walls', and 'foreigners' for 'Mexicans' and it works here too.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2017 12:54]
Noam Chomsky on 12:55 - Apr 25 with 2745 viewsPURe_Evil

Noam Chomsky on 12:53 - Apr 25 by LeonWasGod

People don't want intellect in their politics. They want slogans, and walls, and no Mexicans.

Edit - substitute 'strict border control' for 'walls', and 'foreigners' for 'Mexicans' and it works here too.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2017 12:54]

The guy is truly inspirational, have you seen Requiem for the American Dream?
Noam Chomsky on 13:00 - Apr 25 with 2731 viewsLeonWasGod

Noam Chomsky on 12:55 - Apr 25 by PURe_Evil

The guy is truly inspirational, have you seen Requiem for the American Dream?

No I haven't, but sounds like I ought to.

On a similar theme of wealth, power and control, I was a bit miffed to have missed Shadow World when it was shown at the taliesin Theatre recently. All about the tentacles of the arms trade.
http://www.theshadowworldbook.com/the-film/
Noam Chomsky on 13:03 - Apr 25 with 2725 viewsPURe_Evil

I haven't seen that one, you should really watch Requiem for an American Dream, its on Netflix I've watched it several times, could listen to this guy talk all day!
Noam Chomsky on 13:54 - Apr 25 with 2682 viewsDafyddHuw

Chomsky rocks.
Noam Chomsky on 17:34 - Apr 25 with 2613 viewsHighjack

Has Chomsky ever run for political office?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Noam Chomsky on 17:43 - Apr 25 with 2601 viewsClinton

Does he think we should play 3 at the back against Man U ?

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Noam Chomsky on 22:18 - Apr 25 with 2502 viewsEbo

Worth a read https://www.democracynow.org/2017/4/4/extraordinarily_dangerous_chomsky_on_how_t

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Login to get fewer ads

Noam Chomsky on 23:22 - Apr 25 with 2459 viewsWarwickHunt

His books on transformational grammar are the cornerstones of modern linguistic theory.

As the great Ian Dury said, there ain't half been some clever bàstards.
Noam Chomsky on 23:29 - Apr 25 with 2448 viewsEbo

Noam Chomsky on 23:22 - Apr 25 by WarwickHunt

His books on transformational grammar are the cornerstones of modern linguistic theory.

As the great Ian Dury said, there ain't half been some clever bàstards.

Loh, Bluey and Kerouc in 1.2.3.....

Noam Chomsky on 06:44 - Apr 26 with 2381 viewsLohengrin

Noam Chomsky on 23:29 - Apr 25 by Ebo

Loh, Bluey and Kerouc in 1.2.3.....

I've only got so many hours spare per week, Ebo, and my time would be better spent reading Descartes than his tribute act.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Noam Chomsky on 10:11 - Apr 26 with 2331 viewsDafyddHuw

Noam Chomsky on 06:44 - Apr 26 by Lohengrin

I've only got so many hours spare per week, Ebo, and my time would be better spent reading Descartes than his tribute act.

Writing Chomsky off as Descartes' tribute act says more about your lack of perception than anything else.
Noam Chomsky on 10:59 - Apr 26 with 2297 viewsKerouac

Noam Chomsky on 10:11 - Apr 26 by DafyddHuw

Writing Chomsky off as Descartes' tribute act says more about your lack of perception than anything else.

Talking of writing people and their ideas off; a little story (I know you all love them so much!)

At University I did a module on War.
It started in Ancient Greece and ended with the present day.
The final essay concerned Samuel Huntington's 'Clash of Civilizations' and Francis Fukuyama's 'end of History'. The question asked us to consider both and conclude whether Huntington's argument was a sound one or not.

It was clear from the lectures that my lecturer regarded Huntington as a war mongering, right-wing nutter.
It was clear that my fellow students were of a like mind.
I read the book and decided to make a start on the essay.

At first I came at it from the point of view that I had been taught in the lectures
BUT
during the course of writing it, specifically it was the research I did to back my arguments up, I did a complete 180 and had to start again.
Based on what I had read (mainly political history concerning Arab countries, but also wider...the different beliefs held by people of different cultures that so obviously contradicted the beliefs of each other, which had caused and would inevitably cause friction into the future...and, in microcosm, the evidence I had found for cultural friction within our Liberal Democracies; e.g. British Muslims having a very different World view on International politics compared to the view of their average fellow citizens, which in my opinion could/can not be reconciled with the logical positions the UK government would/will take) I couldn't in all consciousness dismiss his arguments.

It seemed to me that what Huntington was saying was pretty sensible and that his argument should be heeded by the West.

In the tutorial group of around 8/9 students where we discussed with our lecturer where we were going with the essay, asked him questions and debated the different arguments with our fellow students I was the only student concluding that Huntington's arguments had merit. THE ONLY ONE(!).

It struck me at the time that this was not entirely healthy. That educating does not equal brainwashing and that a qroup of intelligent, young, free thinking, students should not all be coming to the same conclusion on any given subject (I guess Fukuyama's book is a true reflection of what most young people thought at that time).

I got a mark equivalent to a 1st for my essay (so at least whomever marked it judged my arguments on their merits rather than whether they agreed) and I believe Huntington has been proved correct in the long run.

I can see that and consider Chomsky to be a good read too.
Can you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Noam Chomsky on 13:59 - Apr 26 with 2256 viewsLohengrin

Noam Chomsky on 10:11 - Apr 26 by DafyddHuw

No it doesn't.

Noam Chomsky on 14:15 - Apr 26 with 2246 viewsDafyddHuw

Noam Chomsky on 13:59 - Apr 26 by Lohengrin

No it doesn't.

Oh yes it does..

He's behind you...

etc.
Noam Chomsky on 14:18 - Apr 26 with 2243 viewsLohengrin

Noam Chomsky on 14:15 - Apr 26 by DafyddHuw

Oh yes it does..

He's behind you...

etc.

Noam Chomsky on 20:15 - Apr 26 with 2167 viewsphact0rri

He's on another long interview on Democracy Now, today (26/04) talking on a bunch of things but mostly on international affairs and Trump.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Noam Chomsky on 10:38 - May 11 with 1881 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Noam Chomsky on 12:19 - May 11 with 1843 viewstrampie

What came across from the interview is Corbyn is a decent good person, Labour is Thatcherlite and doesn't represent the working class.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Noam Chomsky on 23:43 - May 11 with 1755 viewsEbo

Noam Chomsky on 00:00 - May 15 with 1624 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Noam Chomsky on 23:43 - May 11 by Ebo

A great watch. Thanks Ebo and Tommy. It's a shame Perchie can't sit , watch and digest this.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024