Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What policies would you vote for? 08:18 - Apr 27 with 9337 viewsjojaca

Just to throw a few in the air.

1) Ban zero hours/flexi contracts.
2) Minimum 20k per annum for full time work.
3) Ban buy to let(house is for living in).
4) Nationalize energy
5)............

Even when you know, you never know?

What policies would you vote for? on 11:19 - Apr 27 with 1266 viewsPrivate_Partz

Good on you. I thought I would comment even those this thread is fast deteriorating into farce. Exactly like the media reporting.
I agree with all those although I would rather controls on buy to let rather than a ban.
I agree with Lisa that any manifesto commitments should be costed. I remember Dodgy Dave avoiding that one.
I would add the following:

Free Social care under the NHS. Cradle to Grave

Natinalise all essential public transport.

Transport infactructure development across the Country. Abolish the the Third runway and HS nonsense.

All schools under the control of the LA. If they want Private let them pay for it.

Etc etc ;-)

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

What policies would you vote for? on 11:28 - Apr 27 with 1247 viewsepaul

What policies would you vote for? on 10:01 - Apr 27 by Lohengrin

* The wearing of pencil skirts and heels to be made mandatory for all women sizes 8 to 12.

* Jiving lessons to be introduced at secondary schools.

* Bad ironing and shoe-care to be criminalised.

* Admittance of females to the bar area at Legion and Rugby Clubs to be at the discretion of the Committee.

* The wearing of beards to be restricted to the demonstrably ugly.

* The immediate removal of VAT from cigarettes, petrol and beer.

* July 10th, 'Mametz Day' to become a Bank Holiday in Wales.

I'm having a dizzy spell, I actually agree with you on some, the bulling of boots should be made compulsory in all schools, hipster f*cking beards banned for all, however propper beards for all over 45's

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

What policies would you vote for? on 11:35 - Apr 27 with 1252 viewsLohengrin

What policies would you vote for? on 11:28 - Apr 27 by epaul

I'm having a dizzy spell, I actually agree with you on some, the bulling of boots should be made compulsory in all schools, hipster f*cking beards banned for all, however propper beards for all over 45's

It's the pencil skirt initiative that does it, Paul. You and I are the same age, I can tell the thought makes your eyes glaze over as well.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

What policies would you vote for? on 11:40 - Apr 27 with 1244 viewsblueytheblue

What policies would you vote for? on 11:35 - Apr 27 by Lohengrin

It's the pencil skirt initiative that does it, Paul. You and I are the same age, I can tell the thought makes your eyes glaze over as well.

All women to be nude, Loh, except for the ugly ones who have to wear full Burkhas.

Think that'll be a vote winner.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

What policies would you vote for? on 11:49 - Apr 27 with 1234 viewsLohengrin

What policies would you vote for? on 11:40 - Apr 27 by blueytheblue

All women to be nude, Loh, except for the ugly ones who have to wear full Burkhas.

Think that'll be a vote winner.

Oh! no, Bluey. It's best to leave plenty to the imagination, mine being pretty vivid as you can probably tell.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

What policies would you vote for? on 12:06 - Apr 27 with 1210 viewsepaul

What policies would you vote for? on 11:35 - Apr 27 by Lohengrin

We have some common ground Loh

Also agree on the ironing one, done all my own since age 16, I'm quite a dab hand with it, always done all of it, in fact my 1st wife would ask me to iron here stuff as I was better at it her words.
Nothing finer than crisply fresh ironed bedding, creases in the correct places on the pillowcases. I iron everything but do draw the line at underwear lol

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

What policies would you vote for? on 14:37 - Apr 27 with 1190 viewsHighjack

What policies would you vote for? on 11:49 - Apr 27 by Lohengrin

Oh! no, Bluey. It's best to leave plenty to the imagination, mine being pretty vivid as you can probably tell.

When I'm imagining I often struggle to accurately assess nipple type.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

What policies would you vote for? on 14:42 - Apr 27 with 1184 viewsyescomeon

Big fan of Lohengrin pencil skirt policy.
I would also push for an end to fake asses,
putting a stop posts on social media posing as GIFs with the play button but are actually pictures that take you to some shitty website,
and also introducing legislation to prevent websites putting stories over a 20 page slide show with a tiny fecking sentence on each slide,
and changing the UK national anthem to Stone Roses - I am the Resurrection.

More serious things I would like to see:

Nationalised energy - that's a real biggie, up there with the NHS imo.

More powers for the Welsh Assembly, all tax powers and law making powers,

A universal basic income.

I also think something needs to be done about universities too, although I have no idea what and it's difficult to touch them as they are such a key industry in the UK and places like Swansea, Bangor, Lancaster (I picked those from experience but that list would be massive) would really suffer from any dent in the money that comes in from their Universities. Universities are becoming businesses first, houses of learning second. I could go on a big rant about this but I wont. The idea of free university is a nice one, and one I support but, there are too many Universities, and too many people going to University in the UK, but I don't see how that can be fixed.

Beyond those few key issues (for me), there are things like breaking up the banks / doing something about fractional reserve banking and exploring alternative economic systems to captialism, but I admit to being out of my depth there, and they're not really policies just vague abstractions.

Upthecity!

Login to get fewer ads

What policies would you vote for? on 14:54 - Apr 27 with 1170 viewsexiledclaseboy

Stop any kind of "right to buy" social housing policy or at least severely restrict it. Not a single council/housing authority property to be sold until an equivalent has been built and made available to replace it.

I'd also seriously consider renationalising the utilities and the railways. It's not 1975 anymore, and privatisation has failed miserably apart from making a few people even richer.

Immediate electoral reform to a properly proportional system to ensure that the votes cast are reflected in parliament for once.

Further devolution to the nations and regions.

A referendum on the terms of the Brexit deal with a commitment to reverse Article 50 if the country rejects it.

For starters.

Poll: Tory leader

What policies would you vote for? on 15:41 - Apr 27 with 1150 viewsHighjack

What policies would you vote for? on 14:54 - Apr 27 by exiledclaseboy

Stop any kind of "right to buy" social housing policy or at least severely restrict it. Not a single council/housing authority property to be sold until an equivalent has been built and made available to replace it.

I'd also seriously consider renationalising the utilities and the railways. It's not 1975 anymore, and privatisation has failed miserably apart from making a few people even richer.

Immediate electoral reform to a properly proportional system to ensure that the votes cast are reflected in parliament for once.

A referendum on the terms of the Brexit deal with a commitment to reverse Article 50 if the country rejects it.

For starters.

I agree with all of that apart from the last one.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

What policies would you vote for? on 15:46 - Apr 27 with 1148 viewslondonlisa2001

What policies would you vote for? on 14:54 - Apr 27 by exiledclaseboy

For starters.

I could go with all of those save renationalisation.

I would also propose a genuine living wage, paid for by a zero tolerance policy on collection of income and corporation taxes, with an abolition of non dom status and an imputed taxation charge based on turnover and group profits for corporation tax in global groups.

I would also abandon the tax credit system as I don't believe public money should be used to subsidise companies paying their workforce too little.

I would make childcare costs tax deductible (including nannies) so that people are better incentivised to return to work and to stop the double taxation of families paying tax on nannies' pay out of already taxed income.

I would abandon the policy of expecting 50% of kids to attend university, and instead roll out a more extensive programme of apprenticeships. University should be free with means tested living grants reintroduced. All benefits should be means tested, including things such as fuel allowance, prescription charges, child allowance. Increase tax free allowance to £12k so the first £1k a month is tax free. Remove management of the NHS from party politics and instead set up a cross party body with representatives from the BMA, RCN, NICE and others to run the NHS outside party influence. Similarly with national energy policy.
What policies would you vote for? on 15:59 - Apr 27 with 1133 viewsexiledclaseboy

What policies would you vote for? on 15:46 - Apr 27 by londonlisa2001

I could go with all of those save renationalisation.

I would also propose a genuine living wage, paid for by a zero tolerance policy on collection of income and corporation taxes, with an abolition of non dom status and an imputed taxation charge based on turnover and group profits for corporation tax in global groups.

I would also abandon the tax credit system as I don't believe public money should be used to subsidise companies paying their workforce too little.

I would make childcare costs tax deductible (including nannies) so that people are better incentivised to return to work and to stop the double taxation of families paying tax on nannies' pay out of already taxed income.

I would abandon the policy of expecting 50% of kids to attend university, and instead roll out a more extensive programme of apprenticeships. University should be free with means tested living grants reintroduced. All benefits should be means tested, including things such as fuel allowance, prescription charges, child allowance. Increase tax free allowance to £12k so the first £1k a month is tax free. Remove management of the NHS from party politics and instead set up a cross party body with representatives from the BMA, RCN, NICE and others to run the NHS outside party influence. Similarly with national energy policy.

Some interesting stuff there.

Agree on principle about tax credits but you'd have to ensure that firms paying low wages stop doing so otherwise the subsidy would remain with the government in some form. That said, your living wage proposal would go some way towards addressing that problem if it was high enough.

I'm ambivalent on the child tax credits possibly because I don't have kids. However, we do need as many parents to be able to work as possible so it may be a goer, or at least not a showstopper.

Means testing is fine in principle but usually means that those most in need tend to miss out due to the need for form filling etc. That's a tricky one and means testing has often been used by governments as a way of reducing the benefit bill by the back door.

Agree about university fees and de-politicising of NHS management. Government will always control the purse strings though meaning ministers will always want to set policy. It's a fine idea, but idealistic and probably unworkable in practice.

What policies would you vote for? on 16:04 - Apr 27 with 1127 viewsbuilthjack

A maximum price for drinks in Costa, Starbucks etc of £1.50. They will still pay the same tax at the year end. Robbing b@stards.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2017 16:44]

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

What policies would you vote for? on 16:23 - Apr 27 with 1122 viewslondonlisa2001

What policies would you vote for? on 15:59 - Apr 27 by exiledclaseboy

Some interesting stuff there.

Agree on principle about tax credits but you'd have to ensure that firms paying low wages stop doing so otherwise the subsidy would remain with the government in some form. That said, your living wage proposal would go some way towards addressing that problem if it was high enough.

I'm ambivalent on the child tax credits possibly because I don't have kids. However, we do need as many parents to be able to work as possible so it may be a goer, or at least not a showstopper.

Means testing is fine in principle but usually means that those most in need tend to miss out due to the need for form filling etc. That's a tricky one and means testing has often been used by governments as a way of reducing the benefit bill by the back door.

Agree about university fees and de-politicising of NHS management. Government will always control the purse strings though meaning ministers will always want to set policy. It's a fine idea, but idealistic and probably unworkable in practice.

The living wage should be a proper one. Calculations suggest that it's somewhere around £7.85 for outside London and £9.25 in London. I'd propose something around £10 ish for starters (I wouldn't give a aloneon weighting as it's about time there was some arbitrage between London and everywhere else).

I honestly think one of the main issues with the NHS is the constant policy changing and points scoring. It is too important for that.

Also, one thing I didn't mention, I'd move every single government department outside London as far as possible (I realise senior staff may have to stay in London as that's where the ministers are). No reason given technology, for all other staff to be here and would give a jobs boost and economy boost elsewhere.
What policies would you vote for? on 16:24 - Apr 27 with 1121 viewslondonlisa2001

What policies would you vote for? on 16:04 - Apr 27 by builthjack

A maximum price for drinks in Costa, Starbucks etc of £1.50. They will still pay the same tax at the year end. Robbing b@stards.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2017 16:44]

Costa don't fall into the same category as the others on tax.
What policies would you vote for? on 16:34 - Apr 27 with 1111 viewssherpajacob

Compulsory inspection of school girls genitalia.

What do you mean it's already been proposed?

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

What policies would you vote for? on 16:44 - Apr 27 with 1101 viewsbuilthjack

What policies would you vote for? on 16:24 - Apr 27 by londonlisa2001

Costa don't fall into the same category as the others on tax.

Ok, not them then. Do they pay what they really should?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

What policies would you vote for? on 16:58 - Apr 27 with 1085 viewslondonlisa2001

What policies would you vote for? on 16:44 - Apr 27 by builthjack

Ok, not them then. Do they pay what they really should?

Yep - they are part of Whitbread of course, which is a UK Plc, so it's 'home'' country for tax purposes is the U.K. Which makes it harder for them to avoid anything.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2017 17:03]
What policies would you vote for? on 16:58 - Apr 27 with 1085 viewssherpajacob

Simplification of the tax system.

A personal allowance of £20,000

Flat rate of tax of 30% on everything above that up to £100k then 45%.

Scrap cgt allowance, all gains taxed as additional income.

Scrap trident,

Remove education system from political control (follow Finland model).

Reduce spending on defence by 1% of GDP, and divert all that money to health, concentrating on preventive health measures.

Quadruple the tax on processed foods and spend money on supporting uk farmers and growers.

Move parliament to Midlands or the north.

Scrap the severn bridge toll.

If a newspaper has to print a retraction, it must be on the same page and same size as the original article.

Revoke article 50.

Introduce clause to fixed term parliaments act that PM can only call a GE if they are standing down themselves and cannot run for office again for another 10 years.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

What policies would you vote for? on 18:11 - Apr 27 with 1055 viewspikeypaul

NI increased by 2%
Airport passenger duty scrapped
universal council tax rates.
Teenage girls breeding to get benefits and housing cracked down on.
Fat bar stewards who need medical treatment due to their obesity
put to the back of the queue when visiting the NHS.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

What policies would you vote for? on 20:00 - Apr 27 with 1023 viewsrock1n

1. Heart of Europe
2. Strong Defence
3. Grammar schools with private schools abolished
4. More conservative on high level crime more liberal on low level
5. More European style health care system, with more private provision
6. Higher Vat, lower income tax - to encourage saving
7. Abolish smoking ban, hunting ban, lower drinking age to 16, more liberal drug laws
8. Proportional Representation
9. Take students out of immigration figures
10. More performance related pay in public sector
11. Reduce business taxes in areas of lower bus activity
12. Safe standing football
13. Emphasis on investment in green technology
14. Make cutting obesity as big a health concern as smoking

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter

What policies would you vote for? on 20:11 - Apr 27 with 1001 viewsexiledclaseboy

What policies would you vote for? on 20:00 - Apr 27 by rock1n

1. Heart of Europe
2. Strong Defence
3. Grammar schools with private schools abolished
4. More conservative on high level crime more liberal on low level
5. More European style health care system, with more private provision
6. Higher Vat, lower income tax - to encourage saving
7. Abolish smoking ban, hunting ban, lower drinking age to 16, more liberal drug laws
8. Proportional Representation
9. Take students out of immigration figures
10. More performance related pay in public sector
11. Reduce business taxes in areas of lower bus activity
12. Safe standing football
13. Emphasis on investment in green technology
14. Make cutting obesity as big a health concern as smoking

Thank you for reminding me why we've spent so long arguing this stuff.

1 - yes.
2 - meaningless cliche
3 - no.
4 - maybe and yes. Depends how "conservative" you want to be.
5 - no. Private provision puts profit before care.
6 - hell no. VAT is regressive, insidious and disproportionately impacts those who can least afford it.
7 - no, no, maybe, yes.
8 - oh hell yes. Your conversion is complete.
9 - yes
10 - there's already PRP in all areas of the public sector.
11 - gimmicky and probably ineffective
12 - yes, why not.
13 - yes
14 - as a lardy I declare an interest.

What policies would you vote for on 20:15 - Apr 27 with 994 viewsexiledclaseboy

What policies would you vote for on 09:21 - Apr 27 by BigPhilG

Ban the Burkha

Awaits the incoming lefties/ snowflakes (delete as appropriate)

Clearly the most vital issue facing the nation currently.

What policies would you vote for? on 20:17 - Apr 27 with 993 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

1.slash university fees
2. Renationalise energy
3. Push for more Green energy
4.renatioalise the railways
5. Increasing the minimum wage to £10 per hour
6.Measures to cap class sizes in schools
7.Increasing the Carers’ Allowance by £10 a week , to put it in line with Jobseekers’ Allowance
8.Ending the 1% pay cap for nurses, midwives and other NHS staff
9.Repealing the Trade Union Act
10.£500 billion National Investment Bank to help the economy recover after Brexit
9. A commitment to the renewal of the Trident nuclear deterrent
10.death penalty reimposed
11.Reversing Tory cuts to corporation tax

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

What policies would you vote for? on 20:19 - Apr 27 with 986 viewsblueytheblue

What policies would you vote for? on 20:11 - Apr 27 by exiledclaseboy

Thank you for reminding me why we've spent so long arguing this stuff.

1 - yes.
2 - meaningless cliche
3 - no.
4 - maybe and yes. Depends how "conservative" you want to be.
5 - no. Private provision puts profit before care.
6 - hell no. VAT is regressive, insidious and disproportionately impacts those who can least afford it.
7 - no, no, maybe, yes.
8 - oh hell yes. Your conversion is complete.
9 - yes
10 - there's already PRP in all areas of the public sector.
11 - gimmicky and probably ineffective
12 - yes, why not.
13 - yes
14 - as a lardy I declare an interest.

There are abuses in the health care system though ECB, especially with free prescriptions.

I suffer from pretty bad hayfever - GP gave a prescription for something I told him was no better than over the counter stuff. He wouldn't take no for an answer, saying I could get it free.

Well, I can afford to pay for over the counter hayfever medication. I don't need to be prescribed something I can afford, so I've never gone the freebie route.

In an NHS model that doesn't scale particularly well, I'd rather those that can afford to pay be charged and allow free resources to be used on those who genuinely are in need. Obviously emergency care falls into a different scenario, but for run of the mill things, means testing for me is needed.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024