Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Old Swansea characters 20:05 - May 1 with 14750 viewsGowerjack

Mrs Gowerjack and I were down the Mumbles earlier and bumped into Red Heather the Micheal Foot lookalike who once accosted Geoff Capes in Swansea market because of his support for South African fruit..

Got us talking about other strange characters we used to see regularly....

Joe the Boxer from the Tenby
Stinky Pete the most honest man in town
The fella that used to hand out Biblical tracts outside the market
Hank !
That woman with the bow legs that used to love a fight when she'd had a drink

Anyone remember any more?

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Old Swansea characters on 10:17 - May 2 with 2633 viewsSTID2017

Old Swansea characters on 20:28 - May 1 by monmouth

Really pleased to see that the Eagle, Wilkie, Kings Head and Fords Club still seemed to be going when I came down that way last week. All haunts of my yoof.

Mine too. Remember when I used to go to the Kings Head they had some brilliant pool players, Chicken & Chips in a basket on Friday nights in the lounge and some Sunday nights at chucking out time some of the regulars on their knees going out of the door singing "Hi Ho, it's off to work we go!"
Brilliant days
Plus Tosh's Swans playing most Saturday's at 3.00 !
[Post edited 2 May 2017 11:54]

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Old Swansea characters on 11:23 - May 2 with 2598 viewsNogginthenog

Old Swansea characters on 09:00 - May 2 by TheFranchise

Which Terry?

Scrap dealer and weightlifter
Old Swansea characters on 11:55 - May 2 with 2585 viewsSTID2017

Old Swansea characters on 20:49 - May 1 by exiledclaseboy

Used to spend most Sunday nights in the Wilkie during my formative drinking years. If we kept quiet in the corner they'd let us stay for the lock in too.

Always used to hate walking home late at night past the creepy graveyard !

Old Swansea characters on 13:20 - May 2 with 2556 viewsrob

Old Swansea characters on 09:33 - May 2 by PapaLazarou

There used to be a website, possibly set up by one of the old posters on ja.net dedicated to old Swansea characters. Such as the blue coat/"penny please" guy who used to stand on the bridge by Parc Tawe.

Can anyone remember this site? I'm sure somebody posted a cached version of the website a few years ago.

Goto the Wayback Machine (Google it) and paste this into it.

http://www.aardvarkcymru.co.uk/index.htm
Old Swansea characters on 19:09 - May 2 with 2491 viewsjackson5

Old Swansea characters on 10:17 - May 2 by STID2017

Mine too. Remember when I used to go to the Kings Head they had some brilliant pool players, Chicken & Chips in a basket on Friday nights in the lounge and some Sunday nights at chucking out time some of the regulars on their knees going out of the door singing "Hi Ho, it's off to work we go!"
Brilliant days
Plus Tosh's Swans playing most Saturday's at 3.00 !
[Post edited 2 May 2017 11:54]

Remember that to good pub the old Kings Head

Women are like elephants. I like to look at 'em, but I wouldn't want to own one. W. C. Fields

Old Swansea characters on 20:00 - May 2 with 2445 viewsAnotherJohn

Thinking of Heather reminds me of a couple of other local revolutionaries - Ian Bone (anarchist) and Hilary Creek (ex-Angry Brigade, who studied at the university and lived in the Grove for a while). I was stumped for a moment with Joe the boxer trying to think of somebody closer to his peak and only bringing to mind Micky Baker, but yes now I picture Joe going through his pawing gestures and in a pretty bad state. There were several from the lower orders who achieved a degree of notoriety, but I hesitate to mention any names.
[Post edited 2 May 2017 20:09]
Old Swansea characters on 20:08 - May 2 with 2436 viewsdickythorpe

The Darvells, Tea Cosy Pete and the ugly lady in the sex shop.
Old Swansea characters on 20:37 - May 2 with 2403 viewsmorningstar

Old Swansea characters on 13:20 - May 2 by rob

Goto the Wayback Machine (Google it) and paste this into it.

http://www.aardvarkcymru.co.uk/index.htm

That was Jammo's site ( Swanseadevil) who was more than 'just a regular' on here back in the day. He emigrated to Aus and forgot all about the site until he received notification from some Dwarf society that unless he removed certain content from the site then they would be taking legal action against him!

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Login to get fewer ads

Old Swansea characters on 20:44 - May 2 with 2386 viewsmorningstar

Old Swansea characters on 20:08 - May 2 by dickythorpe

The Darvells, Tea Cosy Pete and the ugly lady in the sex shop.

I certainly remember the connection between the Darvells, and the ugly lady in the sex shop!

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Old Swansea characters on 21:55 - May 2 with 2341 viewswaynekerr55

Old Swansea characters on 20:29 - May 1 by Swanjaxs

Peter Singh and the crabstick man you could toss for double or quits 🖒

The crabstick man who looked like Egon Spengler?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Old Swansea characters on 22:01 - May 2 with 2335 viewsjesushchrist

Old Swansea characters on 09:06 - May 2 by Scotia

His name is Eric, biggest hands I've ever seen, he's a decent bloke.

Anyone remember the "make up woman" from Clase / Morriston she wore an anorak, was covered in make up and used to ask people where she could get a bus to New York etc? Mid eighties I'd have thought.

And the guy with Tourettes who used to be in the quadrant, he looked like captain birdseye, he called my mate a cock once.

Makeup woman....fooking hell that just brought back a few.
Wasn't the woman who walked around Morriston with nothing on her feet around at that time too.
Old Swansea characters on 12:27 - May 3 with 2234 viewsPapaLazarou

Old Swansea characters on 20:37 - May 2 by morningstar

That was Jammo's site ( Swanseadevil) who was more than 'just a regular' on here back in the day. He emigrated to Aus and forgot all about the site until he received notification from some Dwarf society that unless he removed certain content from the site then they would be taking legal action against him!

Just spent a good few hours laughing at that site, fair play.

Cheers mushes!
Old Swansea characters on 14:00 - May 3 with 2205 viewssbwng

Top man is Jam. Mr Hyltons Greenhouse never had any smashed windows in it when he was about

Goulet

Old Swansea characters on 14:59 - May 3 with 2188 viewsSoberBaker

Only half knew Jammo from the Mel Nurse bar. Does his brother (Kevin??) still follow the Swans?

AMOW

Old Swansea characters on 15:03 - May 3 with 2184 viewsFieryJack

Red Heather!

There's a throwback - used to see around the university in the late 70s, stomping around unsmiling clutching a handful of left-wing publications under her arm. She lived for that stuff. Glad to hear she's still about, but what a bloody waste of a life.

Boxer Joe from the Tenby - can see him now, punch drunk and shadow boxing his way around the pub. Must have been of Irish descent by the look of him.

What about that wild-eyed looking bloke with grey beard and hair who used to let out appallingly loud and unpredictable yells in the Quadrant, scaring the hell, accidentally, out of kids? I think he died a while back.
Old Swansea characters on 15:06 - May 3 with 2183 viewsSoberBaker

Rhys 'The Bus Conductor'
Used to spend his time walking around Sketty Cross shops pretending to drive a bus (complete with engine noises, pretend steering wheel & gearstick). He got angry as f*ck when an actual real-life bus would pull up at the bus stop as if they were on his turf or something.
We used to ask him for a single to town and he'd ask us to climb aboard and buckle up as we'd follow him down the street.

Colin the Paedo from Killay. He was in his 70's and use to beg us to give him 10 pence to flash his cock. Imagine our horror when we called his bluff and he removed dropped his kecks to reveal his tadge from his heavily stained man nappy.

'Touchy' — Latest weirdo to roam the streets that literally touches everything he passes. Can be found in the Killay/Sketty/Uplands area. He's only in his 20's - They featured him on The Call Centre. Tall lad, leather jacket and Freddy Boswell hair.

AMOW

Old Swansea characters on 15:07 - May 3 with 2178 viewsDarran

Old Swansea characters on 15:03 - May 3 by FieryJack

Red Heather!

There's a throwback - used to see around the university in the late 70s, stomping around unsmiling clutching a handful of left-wing publications under her arm. She lived for that stuff. Glad to hear she's still about, but what a bloody waste of a life.

Boxer Joe from the Tenby - can see him now, punch drunk and shadow boxing his way around the pub. Must have been of Irish descent by the look of him.

What about that wild-eyed looking bloke with grey beard and hair who used to let out appallingly loud and unpredictable yells in the Quadrant, scaring the hell, accidentally, out of kids? I think he died a while back.

"What about that wild-eyed looking bloke with grey beard and hair who used to let out appallingly loud and unpredictable yells in the Quadrant, scaring the hell, accidentally, out of kids? I think he died a while back"

Jeremy Corbyn?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Old Swansea characters on 15:09 - May 3 with 2177 viewsSoberBaker

Old Swansea characters on 15:03 - May 3 by FieryJack

Red Heather!

That last one, Ivor wasn't it?

Used to look like a down & out Captain Birdseye?

"Eeeeh-Eeeeh-Eeeeh - Ooooh-Ooooh-Ooooh!!!"

The crazy c*nt!

AMOW

Old Swansea characters on 15:14 - May 3 with 2172 viewsSwanjaxs

Any Treboeth heads remember Mr Pooley? Off his rocker he was 😂

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Old Swansea characters on 16:15 - May 3 with 2136 viewsSTID2017

Old Swansea characters on 15:14 - May 3 by Swanjaxs

Was he the guy that ran the sweetshop in an old shack opposite the Eagle.
Remember going there in my youth, as well the dairy opposite the Wilkie to get jubbly's !

Old Swansea characters on 16:17 - May 3 with 2136 viewspikeypaul

Old Swansea characters on 15:14 - May 3 by Swanjaxs

Mental Betty from Sketty.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Old Swansea characters on 16:39 - May 3 with 2123 viewswaynekerr55

Old Swansea characters on 15:09 - May 3 by SoberBaker

That last one, Ivor wasn't it?

Used to look like a down & out Captain Birdseye?

"Eeeeh-Eeeeh-Eeeeh - Ooooh-Ooooh-Ooooh!!!"

The crazy c*nt!

Did he also shout "yit, yit, yit"?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Old Swansea characters on 16:45 - May 3 with 2119 viewsSTID2017

The guy who used to stand at the back of the North Bank at the Vetch shouting "Come On My Lovely Boys !"
Heard someone shouting the same thing in the South Stand at the Liberty - could he be the same guy ?

Old Swansea characters on 17:43 - May 3 with 2102 viewsSwanjaxs

Old Swansea characters on 16:15 - May 3 by STID2017

Was he the guy that ran the sweetshop in an old shack opposite the Eagle.
Remember going there in my youth, as well the dairy opposite the Wilkie to get jubbly's !

Yes the very one! Ran the shop with his sister ( Mrs Carlisle) , he used to bee seen walking around Treboeth every Friday with a money satchel full of cash from collecting paper round dues, uesd to fall over a lot in his later years due to having fits and would often have his head bandaged up. Unfortunately he got mugged a couple of times too, proper character though...

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.

Old Swansea characters on 17:46 - May 3 with 2100 viewsSwanjaxs

Old Glyny Morris from the centre stand and his bell! Used to drink in the Eagle and was a director of some sort back in the day, and definitely somebody who would never have mugged us off!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024