Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Will lessons be learned if we survive? 06:46 - May 8 with 7685 viewsE20Jack

I genuinely believe that the Americans took over completely underestimating the need in constant, quality investment in the playing side. Seeing us as a safe mid table Premier League side, and they would be able to get a cheap deal with minimal investment and get some nice dividends from the profits every year. Sadly I think Jenkins did nothing to convince them otherwise, not to rock the boat. If they knew the club needed £15m-£20m net spend at least per season they wouldnt have been so keen.

Unfortunately football, and more specifically Premier League football, isnt like that. You can not scrimp and save otherwise you will be found out extremely quickly and your £100m+ business could end up a £30m business struggling to even pay its running costs before you can say "Blackburn Rovers".

If we do stay up by a gnats hair, and there is still an awful lot of work to do for that to happen, do you think the Americans will have realised the errors of their ways and redirect club income towards the playing side (Gylfi and Borja sale + the usual £15m) or do you think we will continue to let our top players go and replace with the standard £5m player?

We should have a small squad full of quality in order to finance the wage structure. A but like the Laudrup era. The frustrating thing is after this debacle is over, we have a real chance to progress given the right backing, yet I have a horrible feeling that the vision of the fans and the vision of the owners do not marry up.

I think after this season is out, as 21% shareholder the Trust deserve to know what direction the club is going in, what are the actual immediate plans regarding transfer budget and whether it is a low investment "surviving excercise" or are we actually looking to improve the club.

Is this something the Trust will be doing?

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 21:45 - May 8 with 1267 viewsmorningstar

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 21:30 - May 8 by Banosswan

Gower and The Gower are two different things. Arguably The Gower Peninsular needs to be termed The Gower, to differentiate it from the rest of Gower.

Indeed. But Gowerjack being a normal everyday person insists on Gower and not 'The' Gower as he wants too include Gorseinon, Gowerton and Loughor, which are part of Gower, but not 'The' Gower. He doesn't like to be snobby you see!

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 21:48 - May 8 with 1255 viewsBanosswan

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 21:45 - May 8 by morningstar

Indeed. But Gowerjack being a normal everyday person insists on Gower and not 'The' Gower as he wants too include Gorseinon, Gowerton and Loughor, which are part of Gower, but not 'The' Gower. He doesn't like to be snobby you see!

Don't forget bont, trebanos and pontardawe. We're all proud Gower residents.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 22:14 - May 8 with 1214 viewsNOTRAC

The club has increased the spend on players every year since we got promoted to the Premiership, apart from the 2015/16 season.
This can be confirmed from the annual accounts .The cost of players is shown in the accounts as a note to intangible assets.
The figures are as follows
May
2011 5.6m
2012. 15.8m
2013. 31.8m
2014 60.8m
July
2015 77.4m
2016 68.9m
The above figures represent the total cost of all players on our books at the above dates.They do not represent player values or values after depreciation. The cost of the team in the year we won the League Cup therefore was £31.8m.In the following year to May 2014 there was an increase of £29m to £60.8 m.
So it is not true to say that we have had no net spend on players during those years.
The net spend is being confused with total player sales not being spent.
In reality the cost of players at 31st July 2016 was £63.3m more than when we got promoted (68.9m compared with £5.6m.)
[Post edited 8 May 2017 22:18]

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 23:03 - May 8 with 1173 viewsE20Jack

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 21:09 - May 8 by spiderboy

Are you saying that we could buy another Borja for 15 m?
Its manageable ....Its 13% of income.
Walk in the park for a club who,s been tottering on the brink of staying in the prem!

Do I think we can? No.

Do I think we should be able to? Without any shadow of doubt.

To the poster saying that we cannot afford it because they have wages.. of course they have wages. So do all the players we sign that are quite clearly not up to standard. One look at the likes of Narsingh and you know it is pointless him being here, that kind of player is rife in our squad. Let's muse...

Narsingh - 25k
Emnes - 15k
Borja - 50k
Tabanou - 15k
Montero - 25k
Gomis - 70k
Birghitti - 5k
Barrow - 10k

That's over 200k a week essentially being wasted, when it could be X4 50k a week wages for players that can actually improve the side.

The year after we will probably lose 1 or 2 like usual and their wages become freed up and we reinvest.

That is how it SHOULD be done.

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 23:22 - May 8 with 1165 viewsGlyn1

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 23:03 - May 8 by E20Jack

Do I think we can? No.

To the poster saying that we cannot afford it because they have wages.. of course they have wages. So do all the players we sign that are quite clearly not up to standard. One look at the likes of Narsingh and you know it is pointless him being here, that kind of player is rife in our squad. Let's muse...

Narsingh - 25k
Emnes - 15k
Borja - 50k
Tabanou - 15k
Montero - 25k
Gomis - 70k
Birghitti - 5k
Barrow - 10k

That's over 200k a week essentially being wasted, when it could be X4 50k a week wages for players that can actually improve the side.

The year after we will probably lose 1 or 2 like usual and their wages become freed up and we reinvest.

But of course all of those players were thought to be "players that can actually improve the side" when they first arrived here. And personally I don't see anything wrong with Narsingh should we go back to using wingers.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 23:51 - May 8 with 1149 viewsmajorraglan

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 23:03 - May 8 by E20Jack

Do I think we can? No.

Narsingh - 25k
Emnes - 15k
Borja - 50k
Tabanou - 15k
Montero - 25k
Gomis - 70k
Birghitti - 5k
Barrow - 10k

There's a few more you could add to that list! It needs a root and branch review.
Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 01:05 - May 9 with 1111 viewsheadcleaner

If we do stay up this year then I expect the mericans will think that the squad is good enough to go with next season maybe offer PC 10 mill in the kitty from the sale of Siggy. They will go into next season thinking that they only have to be slightly better than 3 teams again.

Stoke, Watford, Burnley, Palace/Hull, Bournemouth, west ham, Leicester, Southampton, Brighton, Newcastle, west brom and who ever comes up through the play offs will all be in the mix for relegation - they will budget to tread water above three of these if not they will hide behind how small a club we are and how everything conspires against us.

Jenkins and the other oxygen thieves out! asap that would be the best summer business we can hope for and to duke it out with the teams mentioned above
Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 04:51 - May 9 with 1082 viewsJokeren1943

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 08:26 - May 8 by waynekerr55

The huge operating losses in the accounts tell their own tale. That's the legacy of buying 'cheap' as we are saddled with signing on fees and wages from Huw's "bargain" policies. The cūnt has to go.

One of the things which made Laudrup a very good manager was his ability to get talent for absolute nothing. Michu, Chico, Pablo, Guzman and so on.

The problem with PL clubs is not their massive splashing of money - but their lack of quality in their scouting.
Login to get fewer ads

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 05:10 - May 9 with 1078 viewsJokeren1943

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 20:23 - May 8 by Brynmill_Jack

I agree. What we need - a right bac who's as good as Ollsson is a left back, a good CDM to finally adequately replace Leon, a creative MF who can take games by the scruff and be consistent throughout the 90 mins.

What we need is to built a squad around a core of mid-twenty players in central positions which can bring stability into a squad (Swansea backbone Monk, Williams, Britton) have either left or is retiring soon.

Swansea also need a proven striker, the club have for several years (scoring 10-12 goals pr. season) bringing in continuity. The club is to vulnerable changing striker every season, when they are not performing. With Graham we lucky had offensive midfielder Michu and with Gomis we had midfielders Ayew and Siggy.
Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 06:48 - May 9 with 1040 viewsDr_Winston

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 05:10 - May 9 by Jokeren1943

What we need is to built a squad around a core of mid-twenty players in central positions which can bring stability into a squad (Swansea backbone Monk, Williams, Britton) have either left or is retiring soon.

Swansea also need a proven striker, the club have for several years (scoring 10-12 goals pr. season) bringing in continuity. The club is to vulnerable changing striker every season, when they are not performing. With Graham we lucky had offensive midfielder Michu and with Gomis we had midfielders Ayew and Siggy.

What they need to do is pick a style of play and stick to it.

If we're going to continue to be as reliant on set pieces as we have become during the Clement era then we're going to need another Llorente type striker, as we were/are pretty shit when he's unavailable or off form.

If we're going to try and go back to the way we used to play then we'll need a revamp a bit more radical.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 07:33 - May 9 with 1017 viewswaynekerr55

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 06:48 - May 9 by Dr_Winston

If we're going to continue to be as reliant on set pieces as we have become during the Clement era then we're going to need another Llorente type striker, as we were/are pretty shit when he's unavailable or off form.

If we're going to try and go back to the way we used to play then we'll need a revamp a bit more radical.

Agreed. Although whatever style of play we go for we simply cannot have Jenkins and the monkeys recruiting

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 09:02 - May 9 with 985 viewsJokeren1943

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 06:48 - May 9 by Dr_Winston

Tend to agree with all of it.

If Swansea will make it in the PL this season they will keep Clement.

If so, I can't see us go back to Swansea classic. Clement were (also) known for his defensive style in Derby.
Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 09:23 - May 9 with 967 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 09:02 - May 9 by Jokeren1943

Tend to agree with all of it.

If Swansea will make it in the PL this season they will keep Clement.

If so, I can't see us go back to Swansea classic. Clement were (also) known for his defensive style in Derby.

Clement has already learnt that a defensive style does not cut it in the Premier League.
Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 09:27 - May 9 with 960 viewsA_Fans_Dad

I repeat, what is the club going to do with the extra £80M TV cash, do you think the yanks are going to pocket all of it, or maybe invest some of it in better players to improve their chance of getting more of the same next year?
Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 09:32 - May 9 with 954 viewsFireboy

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 09:27 - May 9 by A_Fans_Dad

I repeat, what is the club going to do with the extra £80M TV cash, do you think the yanks are going to pocket all of it, or maybe invest some of it in better players to improve their chance of getting more of the same next year?

Pocket some as it's why they bought the club

And they will invest some in new players as I'm sure they will know that if we stay in the PL we have dodged a bullet and PC will hopefully tell the numb fvckers so
Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 12:55 - May 9 with 892 viewsdameedna

Laudrups argument and also Sousas
Get in quality and a squad of 16 plus loanees
Board has been running the British Leyland model
Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 19:49 - May 15 with 748 viewsE20Jack

Probably a good time to bump this now that Jenkins has had his radio interview stating essentially the squad is good enough and no major signings are needed.

So a resounding no is the answer to my OP.

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 13:28 - May 16 with 710 viewsSmellyplumz

Nope, no lessons will be learnt at all, why, because it's all about money and spending as little as possible. Get used to it owl's.

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 13:50 - May 16 with 688 viewsdailew

Be stupid to get rid of Jenkins. The knowledge he has won't come easily.
Time and again he's managed to pull out a great managerial appointment. Bobley obviously wasn't his. He's cleverly managed to position the club as somewhere player s can come to play in the PL without the pressure associated with a big club and move on if a success. Suits both sides. See Bony,Ayew etc. A new chairman might not understand or buy into this.

I know it won't sit well with a lot on here.

New stadium, training facilities. 7 years in the PL with a major trophy. All done on a balanced budget.

Cardiff spent pushing £200m in the interim.

As for the money he made, it's called rewarding success.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 13:57 - May 16 with 679 viewswaynekerr55

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 13:50 - May 16 by dailew

Time and again he's managed to pull out a great managerial appointment. Bobley obviously wasn't his. He's cleverly managed to position the club as somewhere player s can come to play in the PL without the pressure associated with a big club and move on if a success. Suits both sides. See Bony,Ayew etc. A new chairman might not understand or buy into this.

New stadium, training facilities. 7 years in the PL with a major trophy. All done on a balanced budget.

Balanced the books?

£20m operating losses. I repeat, 20m.

Did he do a great job and was he a major part of an astronomical rise? Absolutely.

Has he lost his f*cking mind post Laudrup? It appears so.

Edit - the new stadium was a council initiative, f*ck all to do with Gonzo. Which takes me to my next point...would our 'saviours' have bought the club without the guarantee of a new stadium being built by the council?
[Post edited 16 May 2017 14:02]

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 14:42 - May 16 with 637 viewsLNJack

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 13:50 - May 16 by dailew

Good and rational post.

LNJack

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 16:11 - May 16 with 575 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 14:42 - May 16 by LNJack

Good and rational post.

Then you are as uneducated about Jenkins as the Poster.
He may have helped to steer the club to success, but for at least three years he has made blunder after blunder, it appears mostly because he was too wrapped up in selling the club out from under the fans.
Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 16:14 - May 16 with 574 viewsLeonWasGod

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 16:11 - May 16 by A_Fans_Dad

Then you are as uneducated about Jenkins as the Poster.
He may have helped to steer the club to success, but for at least three years he has made blunder after blunder, it appears mostly because he was too wrapped up in selling the club out from under the fans.

Not to mention his not insignificant Director payments are his reward for success.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with him selling his shares, as some do, but I do have a problem with the way it was done behind backs, deliberately excluding key groups (i.e. us the fans and or official representatives) and deliberately stopping the Trust from being given the chance to increase its share (where or not it could have afforded them is a different matter).
Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 16:34 - May 16 with 559 viewsLNJack

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 16:14 - May 16 by LeonWasGod

Not to mention his not insignificant Director payments are his reward for success.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with him selling his shares, as some do, but I do have a problem with the way it was done behind backs, deliberately excluding key groups (i.e. us the fans and or official representatives) and deliberately stopping the Trust from being given the chance to increase its share (where or not it could have afforded them is a different matter).

I may not be as close to it or as knowledgeable as some of you. I do agree that the way the Trust was not included was wrong and unacceptable. It does also seem to be the case that Huw Jenkins has made other mistakes.

What seems to be missing is a sense of balance and an acknowledgement of what he has done well. It also seems to me that there is not much questioning of the trust as to how they missed the fact that something quite big was going on.

Whilst I am quite a recent joiner there seems to be quite a bandwagon rolling on here and most people are jumping on board.

LNJack

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 18:30 - May 16 with 478 viewswaynekerr55

Will lessons be learned if we survive? on 16:34 - May 16 by LNJack

I may not be as close to it or as knowledgeable as some of you. I do agree that the way the Trust was not included was wrong and unacceptable. It does also seem to be the case that Huw Jenkins has made other mistakes.

What seems to be missing is a sense of balance and an acknowledgement of what he has done well. It also seems to me that there is not much questioning of the trust as to how they missed the fact that something quite big was going on.

Whilst I am quite a recent joiner there seems to be quite a bandwagon rolling on here and most people are jumping on board.

Not much questioning of the Trust?

Have you got "The Resurrection" on ignore?

😉

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024