Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Everest 22:19 - May 15 with 1047 viewsEbo

Watched this last night https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everest_(2015_film) bloody great!

A friend of mine just made it to base camp as part of a trek for Cancer. The pictures she took were incredible and it was a pretty interesting journey with a blizzard and one or two avalanches. Weather went from 70degrees to sub zero within a few hours on the last part of the trail.

Can anyone recommend any good books or documentaries on the subject? I've become fascinated with some of the stories. Would love to do the base camp trek one day but not so sure of that scary airport at Lukla

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Everest on 22:22 - May 15 with 1040 viewsMeraki

I highly recommend The Summit

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2363471/
Everest on 22:30 - May 15 with 1026 viewsMeraki

Also not about Everest - but still a brilliant watch: Meru

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2545428/
Everest on 23:21 - May 15 with 999 viewsEbo

This is very good

Everest on 03:12 - May 16 with 957 viewsBrynCartwright

Not just about Everest but any book written by Joe Simpson like Touching the Void.
This Game of Ghosts is great.
Really demonstrates how dangerous climbing is. Really, really experienced mountaineers swept away in an instant but what majesty is in the heavens!!

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Everest on 08:34 - May 16 with 907 viewsdcd14

Into Thin Air is the book written by the journo in the 2015 film Everest.

Good read. PM me your address and I will send you the book it if you want it.
Everest on 14:10 - May 16 with 865 viewsEbo

Everest on 08:34 - May 16 by dcd14

Into Thin Air is the book written by the journo in the 2015 film Everest.

Good read. PM me your address and I will send you the book it if you want it.

Cheers mate PM on the way :)

Everest on 00:22 - May 17 with 784 viewsEbo

I really want to do this

Everest on 01:39 - May 17 with 769 viewsTom1912

I trekked to Base Camp at the end of last November/start of December and it was phenomenal-one of the best things I've ever done. It was a good time to do it-blue sky (don't think I saw a cloud for 10 days) and sunshine in the day and right at the end of peak season so not too busy. Very cold at night but thermals, blankets and sleeping bags see you through. The guesthouses aren't well insulated but they burn dried yak shit in the main area for some heat...

As for Lukla, it's the second shortest airport in the world and supposedly the most dangerous as pilots can't abort landing attempts once they begin due to promxity of surrounding mountains but in reality they've only had a couple of major accidents in over 50 years. The pilots walk round in their aviators and leather jackets like they own the place and really, it's fair enough as they're highly trained. The flight itself is incredible and you don't really feel that nervous once you get going. They don't fly in any kind of poor weather conditions either due to the risk. Can mean you get stranded by the airport for days...

Everest is a great film too, I saw it in the cinema and watched it again after doing the Base Camp trek.
Login to get fewer ads

Everest on 13:44 - May 17 with 722 viewsEbo

Everest on 01:39 - May 17 by Tom1912

I trekked to Base Camp at the end of last November/start of December and it was phenomenal-one of the best things I've ever done. It was a good time to do it-blue sky (don't think I saw a cloud for 10 days) and sunshine in the day and right at the end of peak season so not too busy. Very cold at night but thermals, blankets and sleeping bags see you through. The guesthouses aren't well insulated but they burn dried yak shit in the main area for some heat...

As for Lukla, it's the second shortest airport in the world and supposedly the most dangerous as pilots can't abort landing attempts once they begin due to promxity of surrounding mountains but in reality they've only had a couple of major accidents in over 50 years. The pilots walk round in their aviators and leather jackets like they own the place and really, it's fair enough as they're highly trained. The flight itself is incredible and you don't really feel that nervous once you get going. They don't fly in any kind of poor weather conditions either due to the risk. Can mean you get stranded by the airport for days...

Everest is a great film too, I saw it in the cinema and watched it again after doing the Base Camp trek.

Great stuff Tom!

You went in the dry season so you picked a good time to go.

Was it an expensive trip> How long was you out there for?

I'm 50 in 2 years and thinking of dong it around then.

Everest on 13:48 - May 17 with 717 viewsLohengrin

Everest on 00:22 - May 17 by Ebo

I really want to do this

Then do it. You'll turn around one day and suddenly realise you're too old. Take out a loan and go for it.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024