Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Clement doesn't see "major change" either 07:17 - May 16 with 6138 viewsDr_Winston

That might confuse a lot of people. He's right though.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/paul-clement-set-talks

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 10:30 - May 16 with 1248 viewsJFSwan

Interesting what we do with the wingers, a diamond formation neglects wide players so only a few are needed for switching to a plan B.

Routledge,Dyer,Montero,Barrow, Narsign all fighting for a wide role in a formation that doesnt use wide players.
Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 10:33 - May 16 with 1240 viewsPrivate_Partz

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 08:16 - May 16 by Uxbridge

Aye, it depends on how you look at it.

Personally I'd prefer a summer where we see a relatively high number of changes and a change of playing style too. Not a fan of the set piece approach. Would be nice to get back to something approximating a passing game. However, if that isn't the case, then the changes needed are less. Still think we need a replacement for leon and wide players too, plus another striker.

I think we can have a passing game and a set piece approach. The passing game in front of the oppo's 18 yard box creates free kick opportunities. Either for Siggy direct or to float one in for the beasts Mawson and Llorente.
It was an eye opener for me on Sunday. I was watching Palace as if they were my team and believe me, compared to many in this League, our passing game is very much alive and well.
I agree we need to build our passing game up a bit more and another Leon type midfielder would certainly help there. Those outside of the midfield are relatively comfortable on the ball as well.
Imho there is no reason why we can't have both. I hope this is what Clem is aiming for.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 10:36 - May 16 with 1231 viewsTheResurrection

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 09:59 - May 16 by LeonWasGod

Proof is in the rubbish season. It's undeniable we had a shocking transfer window last season.

No. Proof was in we didn't do the January signings in August.

But regardless of that getting shot of Williams and Ayew was 100% the correct thing to do.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 10:40 - May 16 with 1215 viewsUxbridge

Proof is in the rubbish season. It's undeniable we had a shocking transfer window last season.

We did indeed, but not because we sold Williams and Ayew. I think people are forgetting how poor Williams was for large swathes of last season, and Ayew didn't really fit. £25m was excellent business.

The money was spent badly though. Better in January (and some of that was the Ayew money as well) though.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 10:55 - May 16 with 1164 views34dfgdf54

I'm sorry but this squad is desperately weak in most areas, True Geordie is spot in with what he said.

I'm not even exaggerating when I say, if PC didn't put Britton, at 34 years of age when he did, we would have been relegated by now. With Siggy and Llorente probably going, this side without major surgery, will be up sh*t creek without a paddle next season.
Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 10:56 - May 16 with 1163 viewsTheResurrection

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 10:08 - May 16 by PozuelosSideys

So a few people saying we dont need an overhaul of the squad and that we should be looking to move on Gylfi and Llorente. I can see the logic in what they are saying - bring some cash in and look to use that on "ball players".

Id love to see that, but itd be a bold move. We wont recoup half of what we spent on Baston, and i suspect the likes of Ki wouldnt gain us much cash. Llorente only has a year left on his contract too, so wouldnt get anywhere ear £10m. We'd be hugely reliant on bringing in a wedge from the sale of Gylfi.

My worry there is look at our stats this year:

Two top scorers - Llorente with 14 and Gylfi with 9. After that is Fer with 6 and Mawson (ffs) with 4.

Two top assists: Gylfi with 13 and err, Ayew with 3.

Take those two players away and we are fcked. We wont learn from last year when we stripped Gomis and Ayew out of the squad. People like stats, those two are damning.

No. That's the mistake a lot are making.

We could never know what our season might have looked like if we had played without Siggy and Llorente and played with other players. And I'm not talking about from the squad, but who Clement may have brought in if he'd been in since the start.

Our season would have been completely different and perhaps not ridiculously reliant on set pieces. The whole team dynamic would have been different with perhaps more movement, more pace, more width, more creativity....

We don't know.... But all I'm saying is it's not as simple as to just look at those stats and remove their goals and assists from our points total. That's not calculus mathematics that's just too basic an outlook.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 11:01 - May 16 with 1151 viewsmajorraglan

Personally, I think the squad does need an overhaul and new blood over the summer. There are quite a few squad players who have contributed very little last season and they need to be moved on.Some of the stallwarts also need to be replaced sooner rather than later as they are getting on. If Llorente and Gylfi move on then they will have to be replaced, hopefully the replacements will be the managers choice and fit the style of the game he wants to play.

It may be that HJ is keeping his cards close to his chest and playing down the scale of the changes for fear of driving up prices of transfer targets, but it's clear to most that the squad needs improving. This years dabble with relegation has been uncomfortably close, Sunderland have been flirting with relegation for the last 4 or 5 seasons and it's finally caught up with them.

I think next season will be hard as the league will be very competitive. Newcastle are a big club, if Rafa is in charge it will be because he's been backed.well have to see about the others.
Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 11:01 - May 16 with 1151 viewsLandore_Jack

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 10:29 - May 16 by WarwickHunt

I'd persevere with Amat. There's a decent player in there.

Clutching at straws eh? It's time he moved on.

#backtojack

Login to get fewer ads

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 11:08 - May 16 with 1133 viewsPozuelosSideys

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 10:56 - May 16 by TheResurrection

No. That's the mistake a lot are making.

We could never know what our season might have looked like if we had played without Siggy and Llorente and played with other players. And I'm not talking about from the squad, but who Clement may have brought in if he'd been in since the start.

Our season would have been completely different and perhaps not ridiculously reliant on set pieces. The whole team dynamic would have been different with perhaps more movement, more pace, more width, more creativity....

We don't know.... But all I'm saying is it's not as simple as to just look at those stats and remove their goals and assists from our points total. That's not calculus mathematics that's just too basic an outlook.

I know what youre getting at (i think).

Youre effectively advocating reverting to our "old" style which got us to the PL in the first place. A team/squad of solid technical players with pace - each knowing their roles and fitting in with the way in which we want to play. Something which we have departed from long ago and morped into - primarily through Monks influence and been carried on since due to the recruitment policy.

Il be honest, if thats what you mean, i couldnt agree more and id love to see that. But i just dont trust the current setup to be able to identify players to be able to do that. It was less obvious in the lower leagues and to an extent, the PL as many of them were still here. Now we are having to start from scratch.

I suppose the argument will be that they identified Caroll and Olssen and Ayew and they have fitted like hand in glove in to that style. If somebody could guarantee me the outcome would be more players like that who could fit the mould by selling the two in question, id bite your hand off. Not sure we will be able to though. Big, big risk.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 11:27 - May 16 with 1093 viewsA_Fans_Dad

I think Gomis would be a lot happier staying in the French League, for some reason it really suits him & his style of play, in which case I would let him go.

If Sigi decides he really wants to leave then maybe we should look at Carroll and Cork as the dead ball takers, Carroll in particular seems to have a very accurate cross, which should translate in to a good dead ball player.

I am sad to admit that I don't think any of our old wingers are really up to it any more, Montero due to injury, Dyer & Routledge due to loss of pace and Barrow because he hasn't improved on the early promise he showed.
So we need at least 2 new wingers as well as a RB, Striker to replace Baston and another Leon (impossible I know).

It will be very interesting to see how & what control PC has over the process and what he can come up with by the start of next season.
Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 11:29 - May 16 with 1088 viewsTheResurrection

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 11:08 - May 16 by PozuelosSideys

Youre effectively advocating reverting to our "old" style which got us to the PL in the first place. A team/squad of solid technical players with pace - each knowing their roles and fitting in with the way in which we want to play. Something which we have departed from long ago and morped into - primarily through Monks influence and been carried on since due to the recruitment policy.

Il be honest, if thats what you mean, i couldnt agree more and id love to see that. But i just dont trust the current setup to be able to identify players to be able to do that. It was less obvious in the lower leagues and to an extent, the PL as many of them were still here. Now we are having to start from scratch.

I suppose the argument will be that they identified Caroll and Olssen and Ayew and they have fitted like hand in glove in to that style. If somebody could guarantee me the outcome would be more players like that who could fit the mould by selling the two in question, id bite your hand off. Not sure we will be able to though. Big, big risk.

Yes, to a degree. I am so happy with Clement I will support his judgement on what system we play in the coming season. I doubt whether it would be to automatically to go back to 4-2-3-1.

The problem we have as a club now though is once we had a Club philosophy. We played that system from the youth teams to the first XI and it paid dividends. We used to watch our kids score goals from the keeper's pass out to the back and play right through to a great goal some 25 - 30 passes later.

We bought into it as fans and it made sense.

It will be interesting to see what Clement does wth the whole set up. He's hardly had time to blink since he's come in so let's see.

What I am more advocating is we get back to ball players who shift the ball around quicker. Watching Carroll since January was a welcome return to this. He gets it, he's on the front foot and he's zipping it off somewhere. Yes, he is still on the light side and a couple of times he could have gone into some tackles but his strengths far outweigh his weaknesses.

Getting players comfortable receiving the ball, moving it quickly and with some real pace is what I am hoping to see at least from Clement, if that's in a 4-2-3-1 then so be it, if it's in another system, then great too.

Clement doesn't see on 11:31 - May 16 with 1074 viewsjack247

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 11:08 - May 16 by PozuelosSideys

I think everyone would get over losing Siggy and Llorente and anyone else pretty quickly if we brought that style back.

Trouble is, it's not easy to introduce a new football ethos whilst competing in the Premier League. We were in league one when Martinez brought that in and we slowly evolved and tweaked it, always bringing in players comfortable in a 451 possession based setup. We shouldn't have thrown it away in the first place, but we did and we are where we are.

Let's be honest, if it was easy to play attractive, successful football with comparatively cheap players, everyone would be doing it.
Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 11:38 - May 16 with 1061 viewsDyfnant

Quality not quantity.

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 11:42 - May 16 with 1046 viewsPozuelosSideys

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 11:29 - May 16 by TheResurrection

Yes, to a degree. I am so happy with Clement I will support his judgement on what system we play in the coming season. I doubt whether it would be to automatically to go back to 4-2-3-1.

The problem we have as a club now though is once we had a Club philosophy. We played that system from the youth teams to the first XI and it paid dividends. We used to watch our kids score goals from the keeper's pass out to the back and play right through to a great goal some 25 - 30 passes later.

We bought into it as fans and it made sense.

It will be interesting to see what Clement does wth the whole set up. He's hardly had time to blink since he's come in so let's see.

What I am more advocating is we get back to ball players who shift the ball around quicker. Watching Carroll since January was a welcome return to this. He gets it, he's on the front foot and he's zipping it off somewhere. Yes, he is still on the light side and a couple of times he could have gone into some tackles but his strengths far outweigh his weaknesses.

Getting players comfortable receiving the ball, moving it quickly and with some real pace is what I am hoping to see at least from Clement, if that's in a 4-2-3-1 then so be it, if it's in another system, then great too.

Couldnt agree more with what youre saying. It is what set us apart from everyone else and it worked. I also think Clement "gets it" and is capable of implementing it.

Square pegs in square holes and the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Cliched i know, but thats exactly what we were and should be aiming to get back to.

Goes back to recruitment though:

Martinez: We know about that.
Rodgers: Heavily reliant on Sinclair and more by luck than judgement figured out that by putting Dobbie in the hole transformed us a team despite having no top class striker.
Laudrup: Him and the Turk for all their faults were able to identify players to fit the style and look at how that was before it went tits up
Monk: Novice and was reliant on the now-burned Chairman recruiting players - thats where it started going wrong

I really hope PC has a hands-on approach to recruitment. I appreciate the Americans will have a huge say and that they think HJ is the man to continue with bringing in the bodies - which for me is te only reason he is still in role - but PC must have big influence here.

Do you feel the Americans will Moneyball-reinvest the cash back into the squad then, or do you think they will siphon a wedge off the top? For me i think itll be the latter.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 11:54 - May 16 with 1024 viewsWatchman

We could end up just a point behind West Ham and that after the most appalling of seasons in decision making. Burnley/Watford/Bournemouth/BHA/Toon and a host of others will all be investing I hope that PC gets given the backing to get his ideas on to the table
We desperately need pace at all areas of the pitch

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 12:24 - May 16 with 989 viewsTheResurrection

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 11:42 - May 16 by PozuelosSideys

Couldnt agree more with what youre saying. It is what set us apart from everyone else and it worked. I also think Clement "gets it" and is capable of implementing it.

Square pegs in square holes and the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Cliched i know, but thats exactly what we were and should be aiming to get back to.

Goes back to recruitment though:

Martinez: We know about that.
Rodgers: Heavily reliant on Sinclair and more by luck than judgement figured out that by putting Dobbie in the hole transformed us a team despite having no top class striker.
Laudrup: Him and the Turk for all their faults were able to identify players to fit the style and look at how that was before it went tits up
Monk: Novice and was reliant on the now-burned Chairman recruiting players - thats where it started going wrong

I really hope PC has a hands-on approach to recruitment. I appreciate the Americans will have a huge say and that they think HJ is the man to continue with bringing in the bodies - which for me is te only reason he is still in role - but PC must have big influence here.

Do you feel the Americans will Moneyball-reinvest the cash back into the squad then, or do you think they will siphon a wedge off the top? For me i think itll be the latter.

I really don't know. It's something for the Trust to be on top of and anything short would be them going back to their 2015 selves.

I think if they take respectable fees/dividends out of the club whilst not destabilising the playing side then fine. They are in it ultimately to make money, we all know that, but so far they can have the benefit of the doubt for me, as that's all we can hope for anyway. They will look to sell us on again if the TV money keeps increasing but hopefully they will be flipping us as a successful Premier League side.

That just makes good business sense.

Now would be the time to really push the Swans Stateside and increase revenue hugely. Another romantic season, really, now we're safe (phew) and the underdogs can take on the elite once more.

There's money to be made and whilst we have the Trust in place and they're doing their job properly, we're involved in decision making. Not as much as we should, but this again would be for the Trust to make improvements on.

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 12:33 - May 16 with 969 viewsMrSwerve

Not that I've got any stats to back this up, but from the stands in Old Trafford and SOL it looked like we were playing passing/possession football pretty much the same as we used to. Maybe not as refined, but it's still there.

Sigurdsson is a professional footballer and he can pass the ball 5 ft across the ground sometimes, believe it or not. We don't need to get rid of our most talented player/corner taker/free kick taker/assister in order to play 'attractive football'.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 12:35 - May 16 with 966 viewsDr_Winston

By far the most critical fix is upfront. Our poor run of form under Clement coincided entirely with Llorente getting injured and then struggling back to fitness. Before and after that we've been fine. If he'd been out for the season we'd have been f*cked regardless of who else played.

If we're going to keep playing the way we are then another striker with the same aerial capabilities is essential. Or we can change styles which opens us up to even more player movement.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 12:45 - May 16 with 937 viewsKerouac

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 11:54 - May 16 by Watchman

We could end up just a point behind West Ham and that after the most appalling of seasons in decision making. Burnley/Watford/Bournemouth/BHA/Toon and a host of others will all be investing I hope that PC gets given the backing to get his ideas on to the table
We desperately need pace at all areas of the pitch

West Brom are 8th, yet if they lose away at Man City and we beat them last day we will finish only 4 points behind them having avoided relegation by the skin of our teeth.

That's the way it is now.
6 trying to get Champions League and win things.
Everton trying to join those 6 at the top table.
Everybody else in a relegation fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 12:47 - May 16 with 927 viewsKerouac

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 12:35 - May 16 by Dr_Winston

By far the most critical fix is upfront. Our poor run of form under Clement coincided entirely with Llorente getting injured and then struggling back to fitness. Before and after that we've been fine. If he'd been out for the season we'd have been f*cked regardless of who else played.

If we're going to keep playing the way we are then another striker with the same aerial capabilities is essential. Or we can change styles which opens us up to even more player movement.

Exactly right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 13:07 - May 16 with 888 viewssomersetsimon

I read this morning that our form since Clement took over would have put us in 7th place, even with that recent bad run, so I can why he'd be relatively happy with the squad.
Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 13:10 - May 16 with 886 viewsvetchonian

Lots of contributing fators to that rubbish season, apart from the quality or perceived quality of the signings,the timing of Ash's departure virtually the day before the start of the season which meant losing our captain,
a poor pre season due to the Euros coupled with a tough opening set of fixtures during which time Franco was trying to find his team,,,,,then along came Bob.
It is no coincidence Fernandez and Mawson look better under Clem. I think his selections and style of play have been based on establishing some conistency a good team needs a solid spine whihc Roberto put in place Ash, Monk, Leon Pratley,Scotland and built around that. Under Bob I dont even think the squad had an idea whihc 11 he would put out...Clem has tried to work with a settled side and then has looked to get results to ensure PL safety.....Hopefully with the summer to work on things we may see better next season

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 13:17 - May 16 with 869 viewsSmellyplumz

I see Clement is aligning quickly to huws purse, we stayed up by the skin of our balls but now the squad is fine... Aye right o, be warned, Huw will now expect this great escape act every season.

Get out of our club Huw.

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 13:44 - May 16 with 825 viewsSoberBaker

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 09:09 - May 16 by swanjackal

From this season's showing, the only time I see Baston getting action inside a Diamond, is if Anne dropped her Primark specials and presented her "bacon sandwich" inches from him, then I still would have my doubts.

Would she be 'on her period' during this erotic event?

AMOW

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 13:47 - May 16 with 820 viewsjasper_T

Clement doesn't see "major change" either on 13:07 - May 16 by somersetsimon

I read this morning that our form since Clement took over would have put us in 7th place, even with that recent bad run, so I can why he'd be relatively happy with the squad.

Guidolin did virtually the same thing with our squad in the back end of last season, and we know how that turned out.

Resting on our laurels has put us in the sh!t for two seasons running now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024