Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Centre Back Debate 19:09 - May 19 with 2454 viewsAl_Bundy

After reading threads on retaining players what are your thoughts on our current CB's and do we need strengthening in this area?

What is you opinion on the following players for next season?

Bartley
VDH
Amat
Feddy
Mawson
Centre Back Debate on 19:13 - May 19 with 1557 viewsHeadmaster

Depending on whether Clement likes Bartley, I'd say ship out Amat and Van der Hoorn and bring in someone who can challenge either Mawson or Fernandez. We should be looking at about 4 signings minimum if we are to be safe next season. I'm not convinced Droopy Huw understands that though.
Centre Back Debate on 19:22 - May 19 with 1530 viewsDr_Winston

Mawson - The future of the club, if we can hang onto him. Got everything he needs to be top, top class.

Fernandez - Has massively improved under Clement. Still far from comfortable with ball at feet, but that's less of an issue these days.

Amat - Never as good as some people claimed in the early days nor as bad as some are trying to make out now. Suffered under Bradley (what defender didn't?) but capable enough on his day.

VdH - Oddly written off based on appearances under Bradley, nobody can say with anything approaching certainty whether he's good enough or not. If they do, they're lying. I'd like to see him given a chance to prove himself.

Bartley - If he was Spanish he'd never have taken the abuse he did. Was no worse than Amat then, is no worse now.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Centre Back Debate on 19:25 - May 19 with 1520 viewsWhiterockin

Feddy and Mawson have grown into the role and no goals from set plays speaks for itself.

Amat, personally I think will want to move on. He is not getting game time and not always making the bench. For his own sake he needs to move.

Bartley possibly keep here until January and see if the present coaching staff can work their magic, if not make a decision in January.

VDH been a disappointment for me and I don't see a long term future with us so sell.

This would leave us very light for cover.

I feel that if we buy any players next window they should be capable of playing in the first team and not squad members. So possibly the coaching team know a decent player for a season long loan.
Centre Back Debate on 19:44 - May 19 with 1476 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Funny how most fans say "that player is doing well under PC" or " PC is getting the most out of that player".
I think that is a bit of over simplification and not very complimentary to PC's support staff, especially Makelele.
Centre Back Debate on 19:48 - May 19 with 1460 viewsWhiterockin

Centre Back Debate on 19:44 - May 19 by A_Fans_Dad

Funny how most fans say "that player is doing well under PC" or " PC is getting the most out of that player".
I think that is a bit of over simplification and not very complimentary to PC's support staff, especially Makelele.

Notice I mentioned coaching staff.
Centre Back Debate on 19:56 - May 19 with 1431 viewsRancid

Mawson and Fernandez to start as they've left off.I'd seriously debate making Mawson captain even now.The guys a born leader and would take the role in his stride.John Stones 50m quid.Thats hilarious when you consider what we paid for Mawson whos the better player but came from the unfashionable ranks of the Barnsley first team.Stones - captain material?. No feckin chance.Alfie Mawson is our John Terry in the making.My only concern is an England call up and a top 6 club tabling a bid.
Centre Back Debate on 19:58 - May 19 with 1420 viewsDr_Winston

Centre Back Debate on 19:56 - May 19 by Rancid

Mawson and Fernandez to start as they've left off.I'd seriously debate making Mawson captain even now.The guys a born leader and would take the role in his stride.John Stones 50m quid.Thats hilarious when you consider what we paid for Mawson whos the better player but came from the unfashionable ranks of the Barnsley first team.Stones - captain material?. No feckin chance.Alfie Mawson is our John Terry in the making.My only concern is an England call up and a top 6 club tabling a bid.

John Stones came from the unfashionable ranks of the Barnsley first team too.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Centre Back Debate on 19:59 - May 19 with 1414 viewsRancid

Centre Back Debate on 19:58 - May 19 by Dr_Winston

John Stones came from the unfashionable ranks of the Barnsley first team too.

I know but was signed from fashionable Everton
Login to get fewer ads

Centre Back Debate on 20:02 - May 19 with 1406 viewsNeathJack

Other than Fernandez and Mawson, it's almost impossible to judge the others as they haven't played under Clement.

I always felt there was a class player in Amat but he was exposed honorific during the Bradley reign, which it's reasonable to put down to Bradley more than any failings on Amat's part.

Certainly haven't seen enough of VDH to make any sort of informed judgement.

Still not convinced about Bartley, despite his good season with Leeds. I have a feeling upper end Championship is his level.

I'd probably go with:

Amat - Keep if he's not itching for a move
VDH - Loan to Championship side
Bartley - Sell while stock is reasonably high

But you could easily make an argument for the exact opposite or any other variation.

And get someone in who can challenge Fernandez & Mawson.
Centre Back Debate on 20:05 - May 19 with 1393 viewsNeath_Jack

I'd keep them all myself, happy with Fed and Mawson being our first choice for next year. It would probably be fair to Bartley to let him go to Leeds if he wanted to move. I'd keep him over Amat or VDH if i had to choose.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Centre Back Debate on 20:12 - May 19 with 1363 viewsexiledclaseboy

Centre Back Debate on 20:05 - May 19 by Neath_Jack

I'd keep them all myself, happy with Fed and Mawson being our first choice for next year. It would probably be fair to Bartley to let him go to Leeds if he wanted to move. I'd keep him over Amat or VDH if i had to choose.

Don't rate Amat, he's had enough chances and doesn't cut it. Dutch boy can't be judged yet. Bartley may be better now after a season with Leeds. Masson is raw but a massive talent. Fernandez is a good defender, he now needs to learn to pass to the other boys in white sometimes.

Hark at me sounding like one of them clever football posting types. Back to the non-footie section I go.

Poll: Tory leader

Centre Back Debate on 20:14 - May 19 with 1360 viewsAl_Bundy

Mawson and Feddy have done well under Clement and deserve to continue the partnership.

VDH has had no game time so hard to judge his development under Clement and if he is progressing. I guess only Clement can see this.

Amat - For me does not have the attributes of a CB in the Premier League. A good footballer with vision and first touch but has no physicality, weak in the air and no pace and would be liability. He also is a red card walking when he was playing regularly playing on the edge to make up his short comings.

Bartley - Not for me .. Championship aerial attacks and slower less technical pace he can handle.. the pace and quality of the prem has and would expose him again and we need to improve in this area.
Centre Back Debate on 20:19 - May 19 with 1337 viewsRancid

Getting Mawson in made losing Ash a lot easier to suffer.Ok he's prone to the occasional blunder but its purely down to over confidence which isn't a bad thing when you're that young as it'll get ironed out in time.

For years our defence was built around Ash and rightly so as it was always well organized by him but with Mawson we've someone whos confident enough in his own ability to do all that and more.He scores goals too and more of a threat from set pieces than Ash ever was.
Centre Back Debate on 20:27 - May 19 with 1307 viewsNeath_Jack

How many goals did Ash score in all his time with us, compared to how many Mawson has scored?

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Centre Back Debate on 20:27 - May 19 with 1304 viewsRancid

Amat is an odd one.We all want him to come good but apart from his battle with Costa where he should have been sent off twice he's never looked like the quality player we thought he might turn out to be.He's still got time and hes obviously liked at the club but Im not optimistic he'll become a first team regular at any time.
Centre Back Debate on 20:28 - May 19 with 1297 viewsNeath_Jack

Centre Back Debate on 20:12 - May 19 by exiledclaseboy

Don't rate Amat, he's had enough chances and doesn't cut it. Dutch boy can't be judged yet. Bartley may be better now after a season with Leeds. Masson is raw but a massive talent. Fernandez is a good defender, he now needs to learn to pass to the other boys in white sometimes.

Hark at me sounding like one of them clever football posting types. Back to the non-footie section I go.

Oi, there's plenty of politics threads for you to get stuck into

Centre Back Debate on 20:29 - May 19 with 1286 viewslondonlisa2001

Best thing we can do to strengthen our centre backs is get in a long term replacement for Leon.

It's no coincidence that we look so much stronger defensively when he's in that pivotal holding role, protecting them and also offering them an out ball every single time.

Biggest signing of the summer is getting someone to replace him, together with getting Makele to sign a permanent deal that will allow him to work with Leon and Leon's replacement.

If we do that, our centre back pairing is great, with Bartley and VDH to cover. Amat hasn't done it for me.
[Post edited 19 May 2017 20:32]
Centre Back Debate on 20:30 - May 19 with 1276 viewslondonlisa2001

Centre Back Debate on 20:28 - May 19 by Neath_Jack

Oi, there's plenty of politics threads for you to get stuck into

And yet every single one is the same..,
Centre Back Debate on 20:31 - May 19 with 1267 viewsDr_Winston

Centre Back Debate on 20:30 - May 19 by londonlisa2001

And yet every single one is the same..,

I'm actually glad that technically I'm not allowed to join in with politics threads.

Centre Back Debate on 20:32 - May 19 with 1259 viewsexiledclaseboy

Centre Back Debate on 20:31 - May 19 by Dr_Winston

I'm actually glad that technically I'm not allowed to join in with politics threads.

Nor me. Technically. Pseudonyms rock.

Poll: Tory leader

Centre Back Debate on 20:37 - May 19 with 1229 viewsmagicdaps10

I think Fede and Mawson are keepers and I would persist with Amat as 4th choice.
I would cash in on Bartley and hope there are takers for VDH.

A centre half of quality is needed to battle Fede and Mawson.........someone like Hector Moreno or Fabian Schar.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Centre Back Debate on 20:38 - May 19 with 1227 viewsRancid

Centre Back Debate on 20:29 - May 19 by londonlisa2001

Best thing we can do to strengthen our centre backs is get in a long term replacement for Leon.

It's no coincidence that we look so much stronger defensively when he's in that pivotal holding role, protecting them and also offering them an out ball every single time.

Biggest signing of the summer is getting someone to replace him, together with getting Makele to sign a permanent deal that will allow him to work with Leon and Leon's replacement.

If we do that, our centre back pairing is great, with Bartley and VDH to cover. Amat hasn't done it for me.
[Post edited 19 May 2017 20:32]

Great point Lisa.We forget how we've got to where we are by having such a great guardian of the back 4.I dont see Jack Cork being the answer but thats another debate and Leon coming in has shown what we've missed with Cork having been there.Im not saying Leon has showed him how it's done but pretty close to it.Fluidity ahhhhhh
Centre Back Debate on 20:41 - May 19 with 1207 viewsNeath_Jack

Centre Back Debate on 20:37 - May 19 by magicdaps10

I think Fede and Mawson are keepers and I would persist with Amat as 4th choice.
I would cash in on Bartley and hope there are takers for VDH.

A centre half of quality is needed to battle Fede and Mawson.........someone like Hector Moreno or Fabian Schar.

It's nearly time for your favourite time of year wuss, throwing random transfer targets at us from all angles

Centre Back Debate on 20:42 - May 19 with 1203 viewsDr_Winston

Centre Back Debate on 20:32 - May 19 by exiledclaseboy

Nor me. Technically. Pseudonyms rock.

I still could, but TBH they bore me these days. Back in the years of the FNC I'd dive in with abandon. Can't be arsed any more.

Centre Back Debate on 20:43 - May 19 with 1192 viewsmagicdaps10

Must add, VDH is shocking.

Cash it in Bartley whilst his stock is at its highest.....if we dont, we will regret it.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024