Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Statistical Information about the Season 23:37 - May 21 with 2315 viewsDavillin

I ask you to please read these short paragraphs in order to understand some things about the following statistical information in two graphs based upon the same data.

The statistics attempt to show how different players contribute to the team's points total, based on number of games he played.

Some statistical studies can be iron-clad and literal, while some, by the nature of the data cannot. The latter, however, can have value in more of an comparison fashion, as do these. In other words, comparing players who are all measured by the same definition seems to level the playing field.

The statistical data here includes the number of games a player played, and the total number of points the team earned in those games in which he played.

At the outset, the statistician must decide what "a game" is — at one extreme it would be one in which a player played every minute, and at the other extreme one in which a player played even a single minute. The definition of "a game" for purposes of such a study would have to be somewhere between "every minute" and "even a single minute."

I've produced this study for a number of years and have laboured over this decision, something like this:

- more than 45 minutes probably is a bit draconian because experience tells me that a player can influence an outcome at fewer than 45. In my mind, that number is more like 30 minutes, so I have made a statistical decision that for purposes of this study, a game is "more than 30 minutes played."

Experience also tells me that scoring a goal or making an "assisst" is not even close to the sole criterion for "contribution," as a player in any position has as much to contribute, as the Swans' season has demonstrated.

The two graphs below are both based on the same data, with one arranged by "games played" and the other by "team points earned" [highlighted in yellow].

I give both graphs so that you can decide for yourself how much weight to put on the contribution to team output of a player who played only one game in which the team got all three points, compared, for example with a player who played closer to 38 games.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

New Statistical Information about the Season on 21:30 - May 23 with 521 viewssiralan

New Statistical Information about the Season on 20:24 - May 23 by Davillin

Thanks for the observation, Pikey, but if I relied on hindsight, your hindsight is not any better.

I didn't "back fit" anything — at least not any more than you did, above.

I agree that "the change of manager in January contributed to the wins and hence the extra points," but like the poseur, you erroneously mix cause and affect because you assume and imply that the previous manager would have done no better had he picked the players that Clement did.

You also use the word "contributed," but actually imply that the manager change "was the sole cause of" the difference.

In sum, you assume that the manager made the difference, whereas I assume that the players did -- or at least, that they share the "credit."

I'll agree to disagree and will stick by my view the introduction of PC in January made the difference.

I think most Swansea fans will think this.

The majority of the players were here between August and December when we were poor.
[Post edited 23 May 2017 21:31]
New Statistical Information about the Season on 21:44 - May 23 with 510 viewsexiledclaseboy

New Statistical Information about the Season on 21:30 - May 23 by siralan

I'll agree to disagree and will stick by my view the introduction of PC in January made the difference.

I think most Swansea fans will think this.

The majority of the players were here between August and December when we were poor.
[Post edited 23 May 2017 21:31]

Aww, makes first post in this thread as Pikey and replies as siralan

Don't you just hate it when you use the wrong login.

Poll: Tory leader

New Statistical Information about the Season on 21:49 - May 23 with 497 viewsspiderboy

Nirvana??
New Statistical Information about the Season on 22:08 - May 23 with 476 viewslonglostjack

New Statistical Information about the Season on 21:44 - May 23 by exiledclaseboy

Aww, makes first post in this thread as Pikey and replies as siralan

Don't you just hate it when you use the wrong login.

I wonder if they both voted for Brexit

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

New Statistical Information about the Season on 22:47 - May 23 with 450 viewsdameedna

Thx dav

My comment below is not directed at you but at the stats

Was pleased to see fernandez stats

As i pointed out he is the man controlling the back four and without williams

Has made the transition well good season for him hope we keep him and wants to stay
New Statistical Information about the Season on 03:59 - May 24 with 420 viewsDavillin

New Statistical Information about the Season on 22:47 - May 23 by dameedna

Thx dav

My comment below is not directed at you but at the stats

Was pleased to see fernandez stats

As i pointed out he is the man controlling the back four and without williams

Has made the transition well good season for him hope we keep him and wants to stay

We agree about Fernandez, thanks..

[Let's also agree that he has had his doubters and detractors, however. tt did take him a while to adjust to the Premier League and Swansea's way, and, I'm sure that he found much to like and appreciate from the significant input of Clement and his coaching staff.]

"Class is permanent. . . " applies to him in my opinion, and can jump across oceans and league differences..

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024