Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non Politics ZX Spectrum v C64 thread 22:35 - May 22 with 7966 viewsBrynCartwright

This thread is not about politics.

I am so feckin bored with politics.

So I thought I would ask the illustrious members of this august forum whether they are either:-

1. ZX Spectrum or
2. Commodore 64

Hours spent playing Elite on me ol Spec.

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Non Politics ZX Spectrum v C64 thread on 13:28 - May 26 with 906 viewsEbo

Non Politics ZX Spectrum v C64 thread on 09:30 - May 26 by perchrockjack

No, we were not blessed but cursed as these games do nothing but freeze the brains

An obsession thecWorld doesn't need

Could be why so many kids can hardly communicate or become influenced by the inate violence in some games

So kids, get the fook off that console now, get outside and love life....it's not on that screen

Well perch, it formed the roots of what is now my career which is writing computer code for the web. It a lot more good than harm.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Non Politics ZX Spectrum v C64 thread on 13:41 - May 26 with 899 viewsBrynCartwright

..and an industry in which hundreds of people are employed in well paid jobs in the UK.

http://ukie.org.uk/news/2017/03/uk-games-market-worth-record-£433bn-2016

Though Perch is correct in saying kids also need to get out and experience real life as well, playing sports, constructing dens, playing on swings etc...

A good balance of experiences is needed

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Non Politics ZX Spectrum v C64 thread on 21:37 - May 26 with 879 viewsStarsky

Non Politics ZX Spectrum v C64 thread on 12:04 - May 26 by Shaky

Started out with a Brother electronic typewriter with an RS 232 interface that could be rigged up to the C64.

Then subsequently **upgraded** to an Epson dot matrix

I remember buying one of the first inkjet colour printers for my Amiga A1200 in 1996.
It was a Canon BJC610 and it cost me about £650!

It's just the internet, init.

Non Politics ZX Spectrum v C64 thread on 13:42 - May 27 with 829 viewsNeath_Jack

No, we were not blessed but cursed as these games do nothing but freeze the brains

Could be why so many kids can hardly communicate or become influenced by the inate violence in some games

So kids, get the fook off that console now, get outside and love life....it's not on that screen

If computer games had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Non Politics ZX Spectrum v C64 thread on 15:08 - May 27 with 819 viewsLord_Bony

Anyone remember the problems loading the cassette tape on the Commodore?

Yes kids an actual cassette cartridge and player to pop your game into...

Sometimes you'd wait ages then right at the end would say something like Loading Error so then you'd have to start all over again...done my swede in that.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Non Politics ZX Spectrum v C64 thread on 15:13 - May 27 with 811 viewsHighjack

Yes it's true. I accidentally played grand theft auto for ten minutes once and now I can't stop attacking police officers and prostitutes with giant purple dildos.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Non Politics ZX Spectrum v C64 thread on 15:14 - May 27 with 810 viewsswanjackal

Non Politics ZX Spectrum v C64 thread on 15:08 - May 27 by Lord_Bony

Anyone remember the problems loading the cassette tape on the Commodore?

Yes kids an actual cassette cartridge and player to pop your game into...

Sometimes you'd wait ages then right at the end would say something like Loading Error so then you'd have to start all over again...done my swede in that.

Often happening on multi game tapes, if you went a fraction over the counter point for that game (the spin dial at the side of the tape deck.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Non Politics ZX Spectrum v C64 thread on 15:19 - May 27 with 805 viewsHighjack

The ghostbusters game was pretty revolutionary because you could play space invaders while it was loading.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Login to get fewer ads

Non Politics ZX Spectrum v C64 thread on 15:38 - May 27 with 796 viewsShaky

Non Politics ZX Spectrum v C64 thread on 21:37 - May 26 by Starsky

I remember buying one of the first inkjet colour printers for my Amiga A1200 in 1996.
It was a Canon BJC610 and it cost me about £650!

i remember a death race round the North Circular to spend about £450 of my student grant on a 40mb hard disk for my 8086 Amstrad PC clone probably in 1987. Thought that would see me through a a lifetime of data needs!

Did my gap year for a then well known computer systems firm. From memory a 250mb mainframe hard disk the size of 1.5 washing machines was around £25k and 16mb of RAM cost around £55k.

Customers could buy an upgrade from the 3rd lowest spec of mainframe processor to the highest for around £10 million, which involved a team of 5-10 customer service engineers locking themselves in the data room and playing cards etc before after 2 days or so ceremoniously removing the decelerator card that was limiting performance!

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Non Politics ZX Spectrum v C64 thread on 15:45 - May 27 with 787 viewsJack_Meoff

Non Politics ZX Spectrum v C64 thread on 01:35 - May 23 by Ebo

You were not one of the cool kids then :)

I think in my year I could count on one hand the number of kids who had a C64 and around the same who had a BBC Micro. I remember one poor dab had an Oric.

Anyway I digress, it was handy having a lot of mates with speccys as it meant we could copy more games.

I had Elite, complete with the anti-piracy plastic gizmo you held to the screen to read a code to type in.

Not sure if I had a favourite game but spent many hours on Monty Mole, Jet Set Willy, Manic Miner, Daley Thompson, KnightLore, Fairlight, Football Manager and Commando.

The Lenslock wasn't it called? I remember many a time sitting fuming through Elite loading through a second time because i couldn't get any semblance of a code through that bloody thing! Lost so much time to that game, played it straight through the Christmas holidays in about 85/86. So addictive!

Did anyone ever get to 'Elite' status? I remember getting to 'Deadly' after being 'Dangerous' for months, but never got 'Elite.'

Great thread this, takes me right back. Didn't realise there was so many of a certain age here into gaming. Planet Geeks...!

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

Non Politics ZX Spectrum v C64 thread on 15:52 - May 27 with 782 viewsswanjackal

Non Politics ZX Spectrum v C64 thread on 15:45 - May 27 by Jack_Meoff

The Lenslock wasn't it called? I remember many a time sitting fuming through Elite loading through a second time because i couldn't get any semblance of a code through that bloody thing! Lost so much time to that game, played it straight through the Christmas holidays in about 85/86. So addictive!

Did anyone ever get to 'Elite' status? I remember getting to 'Deadly' after being 'Dangerous' for months, but never got 'Elite.'

Great thread this, takes me right back. Didn't realise there was so many of a certain age here into gaming. Planet Geeks...!

Love my gaming, always have. Modern and retro.

Abandonware sites and rom sites comprise of half my bookmarks. The other half probably should not be mentioned on here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024