Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£25m fee agreed with Everton for Gylfi 04:53 - May 23 with 21699 viewsAndyNak

He's holding out for a bigger salary apparently. According to The Times:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/sigurdsson-stalls-on-everton-826lzmjrb

Poll: Joe or Wilf? If you could only have one

£25m fee agreed with Everton for Gylfi on 12:39 - May 24 with 1832 viewsjack247

£25m fee agreed with Everton for Gylfi on 12:23 - May 24 by jasper_T

He was a different player with us back then. Far more dynamic.

Maybe a summer off will bring back that missing half a yard that has led to so many poor touches and rushed passes from him this season.

Reinventing the team to suit both Gylfi and Llorente at the same time is difficult, unless the solution is to move even further towards the defence & set pieces approach.

He was also playing behind Bony, who could hold defenders off as long as he liked and was full of flicks and tricks. Bought Siggy the little bit of time and space he needed to be deadly.

I haven't agreed with Resurrections stance on the Gylfi/Llorente partnership, as I felt we had very little goal threat anywhere else and needed to do what we could to stay up, even if that meant less tiki taka and more set pieces. I'm still not convinced by it, because I don't trust Jenkins and co to spend any fee fully and productively.

I can completely see where he is coming from though. I think it's too big a gamble not to try to hang on to Gylfi, but if we don't, it probably won't be the end of the world. A nippy, creative #10 would thrive behind Llorente.

Other side of the coin is Siggy would probably be very effective behind a Bony type (I know he had a pretty unique skillset) or a pacy striker who creates space by dragging defenders around and makes runs for Gylfi and Carroll to hit with clever through balls.
£25m fee agreed with Everton for Gylfi on 12:47 - May 24 with 1809 viewsmonmouth

£25m fee agreed with Everton for Gylfi on 12:39 - May 24 by jack247

He was also playing behind Bony, who could hold defenders off as long as he liked and was full of flicks and tricks. Bought Siggy the little bit of time and space he needed to be deadly.

I haven't agreed with Resurrections stance on the Gylfi/Llorente partnership, as I felt we had very little goal threat anywhere else and needed to do what we could to stay up, even if that meant less tiki taka and more set pieces. I'm still not convinced by it, because I don't trust Jenkins and co to spend any fee fully and productively.

I can completely see where he is coming from though. I think it's too big a gamble not to try to hang on to Gylfi, but if we don't, it probably won't be the end of the world. A nippy, creative #10 would thrive behind Llorente.

Other side of the coin is Siggy would probably be very effective behind a Bony type (I know he had a pretty unique skillset) or a pacy striker who creates space by dragging defenders around and makes runs for Gylfi and Carroll to hit with clever through balls.

When he was at his best for us he was playing behind Danny Graham and had the pace of Dyer and Routledge to utilise.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

£25m fee agreed with Everton for Gylfi on 13:07 - May 24 with 1765 viewsjack247

£25m fee agreed with Everton for Gylfi on 12:47 - May 24 by monmouth

When he was at his best for us he was playing behind Danny Graham and had the pace of Dyer and Routledge to utilise.

Yep. Both wingers reasonably pacy (I know Routledge has slowed since then), all three of them intelligent and hardworking. Making productive runs for Siggy to pick out or buying him half a yard to get a shot away.

The 2017 equivalent of that front line would suit Siggy. I certainly think Ayew fills one of those roles.
£25m fee agreed with Everton for Gylfi on 13:09 - May 24 with 1760 viewsRancid

He had a long hard season with the Swans and then went straight to the Euros with Iceland and went a long way.Of course he was going to be out of sorts for a while.Its happened for years when players return from major tournaments.
£25m fee agreed with Everton for Gylfi on 14:49 - May 24 with 1657 viewsDr_Winston

He did play well then. Think he was at his best playing behind Bony though. The understanding those two had together was almost telepathic at times.

I think if you're going to get the best out of Siggy in open play you need a forward that is there to serve him. It didn't really work with anyone else, and with Llorente the relationship is more the other way around.

If a deal could be done (even a loan) I'd like to see what PC could do about getting Wilf back to his best. He's not become a bad player.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

£25m fee agreed with Everton for Gylfi on 15:48 - May 24 with 1592 viewsjasper_T

He had to do a lot of the hard graft for Bony, and sacrificed a lot of his own game to make Wilf better than he has been since.

They were a good partnership but Gylfi was better with Danny G imo.
£25m fee agreed with Everton for Gylfi on 16:32 - May 24 with 1529 viewsdobjack2

£25m fee agreed with Everton for Gylfi on 14:49 - May 24 by Dr_Winston

He did play well then. Think he was at his best playing behind Bony though. The understanding those two had together was almost telepathic at times.

I think if you're going to get the best out of Siggy in open play you need a forward that is there to serve him. It didn't really work with anyone else, and with Llorente the relationship is more the other way around.

If a deal could be done (even a loan) I'd like to see what PC could do about getting Wilf back to his best. He's not become a bad player.

I think the points you make about our recent play are very valid.

Clement clearly decided that with the strike force available feeding llorente from set pieces and crosses or using gylfi to shoot from set pieces were our best chances of scoring.

Hopefully we can look to get more out of gylfi with well judged recruitment.
[Post edited 24 May 2017 17:00]
£25m fee agreed with Everton for Gylfi on 16:58 - May 24 with 1473 viewsRancid

I don't like these long breaks when the players are away from the city for so long and don't reall have to come back at all.
Login to get fewer ads

£25m fee agreed with Everton for Gylfi on 17:21 - May 24 with 1421 viewsJango

Siggy's first stint where he played with graham, routledge didn't get a sniff in the team.
£25m fee agreed with Everton for Gylfi on 17:28 - May 24 with 1389 viewsraynor94

£25m fee agreed with Everton for Gylfi on 17:21 - May 24 by Jango

Siggy's first stint where he played with graham, routledge didn't get a sniff in the team.

He made 28 league and 2 FA cup appearances, when Gylfi was here on loan, hardly not a sniff

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

£25m fee agreed with Everton for Gylfi on 18:36 - May 24 with 1286 viewsbluenile

£25m fee agreed with Everton for Gylfi on 10:54 - May 24 by TheResurrection

Is he still here FFS?

Come on Siggy son, take the £100k a week and move on.

If he stays we will endure another season of static football with a few set pieces thrown in.

Learn from our mistakes - we need a change!!!

Somebody give that record player a kick..............the bloody record's stuck again!!

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024