Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Too much credit is given to "Assists" in football 21:06 - May 24 with 2399 viewsTheResurrection

All too often it's just a bullshit stat.

Just look at Fellaini's for Pogba's shit effort. All he could do was square a pass, there was nothing else on and he gets one.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Too much credit is given to "Assists" in football on 08:08 - May 25 with 675 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Winning corners and free kicks is part of the game. The more pressure you put on a team the more chances you create to score. Aimlessly passing in your own half does not create goals.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Too much credit is given to on 09:36 - May 25 with 630 viewsdailew

Too much credit is given to "Assists" in football on 21:27 - May 24 by lifelong

Some assists are better than others.

Indeed.

Look at John Walters' one here. Laid it on a plate for Adam.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Too much credit is given to "Assists" in football on 10:55 - May 25 with 601 viewsUxbridge

Dismissing a statistic because it can cover a multitude of scenarios is a bit silly. You only have to look at the goals he's played the key pass/cross for to see he was invaluable to us last season.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Too much credit is given to on 11:10 - May 25 with 590 viewsjack247

Too much credit is given to "Assists" in football on 10:55 - May 25 by Uxbridge

Dismissing a statistic because it can cover a multitude of scenarios is a bit silly. You only have to look at the goals he's played the key pass/cross for to see he was invaluable to us last season.

Again, kind of agree with this kind of don't. Taking Siggy as the easy example, how many times has he put Routledge one on one with a killer ball to a clever run, only for Routs to sidefoot at the keepers legs? No assist for that, no fault of his own and it takes a lot more skill than some of the assists players get credit for.

Also, the scenario when a player beats 3 opponents, sends a defence splitting pass and two players are through on the keeper. One passes to the other who taps into the empty net and the player who created the goal doesn't get the assist.

Another example of why I think stats are ok for proving very blunt points, but are way too one dimensional to form an opinion from.
Too much credit is given to "Assists" in football on 11:18 - May 25 with 582 viewsBytholWyn

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned David Vaughan's superb assist for Bale's goal against Scotland:

Stats are great, but they do require a bit of discernment. The problem really is that there aren't enough stats out there. Defensive mids in particular lose out - especially players like Leon. His stats for goals, assists and aerial duels won are obviously dire, and apart from pass completion and interceptions I doubt whether his stats are anything to write home about. And yet, as he proved yet again at the end of the season, he is absolutely instrumental to the way we play and our success.

How do you statistically differentiate a Leonesque beautifully weighted pass out of a tight spot that turns defence into attack in an instant? There isn't - and at best will be measured as a completed pass - no different to an overhit pass behind the recipient that kills any momentum to an attacking move stone dead.

Stats I would like to see being recorded that might begin to illustrate Leon's qualities would be:

Goal initiation - the player delivering the first pass in a move that led to a goal. I'm sure that Leon would be up there for this stat
Goal involvement - any player delivering a pass or passes in a sequence of passes that lead to a goal
Next pass completion - a measure of the percentage of passes that are completed by the recipient of a pass. Top quality passes (such as those delivered by Leon) would have a much higher chance of being passed on successfully than poor quality passes. This stat would amplify the contribution of the pass masters in a team.

There must be an intern out there that could be set to work on this over retrospectively for the season just gone, over the summer hols. There must be a way of proving, statistically, what we all know, that Leon is God.
Too much credit is given to "Assists" in football on 11:24 - May 25 with 574 viewsperchrockjack

I worried about dead balls too.;the ones we conceded though. We improved vastly with PC in this regard.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Too much credit is given to "Assists" in football on 11:29 - May 25 with 568 viewssherpajacob

back to the OP

Pogba still gets credited with the goal, even though it only went in because of a deflection, is too much credit given to goals?

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Too much credit is given to "Assists" in football on 12:06 - May 25 with 546 viewsPegojack

I hate the close season, me.
Login to get fewer ads

Too much credit is given to "Assists" in football on 17:30 - May 25 with 466 viewsDJack

Too much credit is given to "Assists" in football on 12:06 - May 25 by Pegojack

I hate the close season, me.

It will get worse.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Too much credit is given to "Assists" in football on 19:26 - May 25 with 424 viewsSTID2017

A sideways dig at Siggy again - why don't you get another hobby instead of Siggy Bashing ?

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Too much credit is given to "Assists" in football on 22:18 - May 25 with 382 viewsTheResurrection

Too much credit is given to "Assists" in football on 19:26 - May 25 by STID2017

A sideways dig at Siggy again - why don't you get another hobby instead of Siggy Bashing ?

Please see important new thread

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024