Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Redundancy question 19:12 - May 25 with 1577 viewsWxmJax

My work place are making some people redundant. However, those that joined the company before 2009 and are over 41 will receive 3 weeks per year of service but those over 41 that joined after this date will only receive the government minimum of 1 1/2 weeks per year. Is this legal ?

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Redundancy question on 19:14 - May 25 with 1568 viewslondonlisa2001

Different contracts? Perhaps prior to that date they had specified redundancy terms?

The over 41 bit is odd.
Redundancy question on 19:27 - May 25 with 1532 viewsskacrazy

https://www.gov.uk/redundant-your-rights/redundancy-pay

I was made redundant last year and got a statutory payout after working for the same employer around 4 years. Didn't get very much at all and had to stay until the administrators no longer needed me or forfeit the payment.

Redundancy payments aren't what they used to be.
Redundancy question on 19:38 - May 25 with 1488 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Hi WXM

Have you a union in your place of work ?

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Redundancy question on 19:48 - May 25 with 1460 viewsWxmJax

Redundancy question on 19:14 - May 25 by londonlisa2001

Different contracts? Perhaps prior to that date they had specified redundancy terms?

The over 41 bit is odd.

You get an enhanced rate after 41 years of age. Govt. minimum is one full week per year up to 41 and one and a half weeks after this. I'm astounded that firms would put this in a contract, doesn't give you much hope. I think I'm fine but they will now have people who know that they will only get half the redundancy rate of others, hardly an incentive to do anything other than the bare minimum for the job. I've stopped many things going wrong in the past that weren't my responsibility but noticed them. Unfortunately I am going to have to change my ways but if they view me as such then so be it.
Already started looking elsewhere.

Redundancy question on 19:50 - May 25 with 1450 viewsWxmJax

Redundancy question on 19:38 - May 25 by oh_tommy_tommy

Hi WXM

Have you a union in your place of work ?

Yes, Unite. Apparently they haven't asked the question. I don't think that I will be made redundant but I'm not very happy for those whom it will affect.

Redundancy question on 19:58 - May 25 with 1436 viewsJango

There were redundancies in our firm not long ago.for under 40s It was 1 weeks pay for every year upto a maximum of 20 years. It' was 1.5 weeks pay for anyone over 40
[Post edited 25 May 2017 19:58]
Redundancy question on 20:03 - May 25 with 1414 viewsjack247

Redundancy question on 19:58 - May 25 by Jango

There were redundancies in our firm not long ago.for under 40s It was 1 weeks pay for every year upto a maximum of 20 years. It' was 1.5 weeks pay for anyone over 40
[Post edited 25 May 2017 19:58]

I looked at mine briefly last year. My understanding was you would only get the enhanced rate for every year you worked past 40, so if you had been there 10 years and were 41 you would get 9 years at the lower rate and 1 year at the higher.

Have I read it wrong?
Redundancy question on 20:07 - May 25 with 1395 viewsNeath_Jack

Redundancy question on 20:03 - May 25 by jack247

I looked at mine briefly last year. My understanding was you would only get the enhanced rate for every year you worked past 40, so if you had been there 10 years and were 41 you would get 9 years at the lower rate and 1 year at the higher.

Have I read it wrong?

I was under the impression that once you were 41 that you get the enhanced rate for all the time you've been with the company. In fact, i'm sure thats right.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Login to get fewer ads

Redundancy question on 20:09 - May 25 with 1392 viewslondonlisa2001

Redundancy question on 19:48 - May 25 by WxmJax

You get an enhanced rate after 41 years of age. Govt. minimum is one full week per year up to 41 and one and a half weeks after this. I'm astounded that firms would put this in a contract, doesn't give you much hope. I think I'm fine but they will now have people who know that they will only get half the redundancy rate of others, hardly an incentive to do anything other than the bare minimum for the job. I've stopped many things going wrong in the past that weren't my responsibility but noticed them. Unfortunately I am going to have to change my ways but if they view me as such then so be it.
Already started looking elsewhere.

Yeah but not like that you don't which is why it's odd.

You get an amount per year you worked there before the age of 41 (1 week I think) and an amount per week you worked there after 41.

So if you are say 45 and you've worked 10 years, it's 5 times 1 week and 5 times a week and a half, not the whole lot at the enhanced rate because of your current age. At least, I thought it was.
Redundancy question on 20:11 - May 25 with 1383 viewslondonlisa2001

Have I read it wrong?

I thought exactly the same.
Redundancy question on 20:11 - May 25 with 1383 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Redundancy question on 19:50 - May 25 by WxmJax

Yes, Unite. Apparently they haven't asked the question. I don't think that I will be made redundant but I'm not very happy for those whom it will affect.

Then surely they will know the redundancy rules etc
Make sure they are asked tomorrow.

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Redundancy question on 20:11 - May 25 with 1383 viewsWxmJax

Have I read it wrong?

Not really but you have to have a full year of service AFTER you turn 41. Our place is offering 2 weeks for every year under 41 and 3 weeks for every year after 41 but only if you started before Sept 2009. If you started after this date then you only get the govt minimum.

Redundancy question on 20:11 - May 25 with 1383 viewsNeath_Jack

Having just read the below, i'm not sure anymore.

You’ll normally be entitled to statutory redundancy pay if you’re an employee and you’ve been working for your current employer for 2 years or more.

You’ll get:

half a week’s pay for each full year you were under 22
one week’s pay for each full year you were 22 or older, but under 41
one and half week’s pay for each full year you were 41 or older
Length of service is capped at 20 years.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Redundancy question on 20:13 - May 25 with 1379 viewslondonlisa2001

Redundancy question on 20:07 - May 25 by Neath_Jack

I was under the impression that once you were 41 that you get the enhanced rate for all the time you've been with the company. In fact, i'm sure thats right.

I don't think so.
Redundancy question on 20:14 - May 25 with 1370 viewslondonlisa2001

Redundancy question on 20:11 - May 25 by WxmJax

Not really but you have to have a full year of service AFTER you turn 41. Our place is offering 2 weeks for every year under 41 and 3 weeks for every year after 41 but only if you started before Sept 2009. If you started after this date then you only get the govt minimum.

Ah - that makes more sense. Sorry - misunderstood your first post. I thought it was odd.

The 2009 difference must be a change in contracts after that date.
[Post edited 25 May 2017 20:15]
Redundancy question on 20:43 - May 25 with 1299 viewsmonmouth

Redundancy question on 20:14 - May 25 by londonlisa2001

Ah - that makes more sense. Sorry - misunderstood your first post. I thought it was odd.

The 2009 difference must be a change in contracts after that date.
[Post edited 25 May 2017 20:15]

Aye, date fits. After the crash it makes sense that firms would review contracts, all for the worse.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Redundancy question on 20:47 - May 25 with 1294 viewsJango

Have I read it wrong?

No you're correct mate. I'm not 100% sure but I thinks it's only up to a maximum of about £450 per week.
Redundancy question on 20:59 - May 25 with 1268 viewsdickythorpe

Best of luck Wxm.
Can I ask who you are employed by?
Redundancy question on 22:15 - May 25 with 1177 viewsWhiterockin

Redundancy calculator, only the minimum.

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-redundancy-pay
Redundancy question on 09:32 - May 26 with 1036 viewsperchrockjack

Good luck wxm

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Redundancy question on 10:11 - May 26 with 998 viewsWxmJax

Redundancy question on 20:59 - May 25 by dickythorpe

Best of luck Wxm.
Can I ask who you are employed by?

Can't say mate, this would come up in Google search engine if someone types in the company. I believe I'm ok but it's not right that others are treated like this.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024