Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greatest ever player. 21:10 - May 25 with 5371 viewsItchySphincter

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gylfi-sigurdsson-now-s

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Greatest ever player. on 00:06 - May 26 with 1215 viewsRancid

Greatest ever player. on 23:32 - May 25 by TheResurrection

Not a late follow at all mate. Before you came along.

He's 34 now FFS. Of course he's not going to be in every staring line up like he was during 2011 to 2014.

How many seasons did Robbie and Curt play at the top level?

''Hes NEVEF EVER been a bit part player''

Well he has been for the last 3 season's.Dont think he played much under Laudrup.He won our players of the year back in 2002 in League 1 or 2.Back then he shone but up until this last month most of us wouldnt have batted an eyelid if he left and certainty wouldnt have thought hed play such an integral part in us staying up, albeit more so off the pitch.

Curtis and James had short but very successful stints in the First Division.It was a shame the team collapsed around them but they were superb when they were there.
Greatest ever player. on 00:19 - May 26 with 1214 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Obviously someone I never saw play, but it's ridiculous that Ivor Allchurch is in only in 5th place, so I voted for him.

166 career goals for Swansea Town (per Wikipedia, 2 more than WalesOnline gives him) is a record that will never be broken. Heck, 2nd place (Robbie James) is more than 50 goals behind him.
[Post edited 26 May 2017 0:23]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Greatest ever player. on 00:22 - May 26 with 1204 viewsAquinas

It is worth noting that although Britton left us for Shef Utd, he was still involved with Swansea. I remember seeing him on the concourse with the fans at Wigan away when we bought 4,000+ on a tuesday night in the cup.

I am not ITK but it would not surprise me if the reason he left was because the manager at the time told him he would not play or he did not appreciate Leon's influence on the squad. Paul Clement (eventually) embraced it and it possibly kept him in a job. Other managers may not have been as tactful.
Greatest ever player. on 00:48 - May 26 with 1177 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Greatest ever player. on 21:29 - May 25 by lifelong

I know it's been said on here before,but,in the 1958 World Cup Ivor was described by the then Italian manager as being one of the top inside forwards in the World.... enough said.

I'm sure Sir Matt Busby said Ivor was the best player he'd ever seen. Praise indeed from a man who had Charlton and Best working under him.

I won't forget seeing my 50 year old Dad (at the time) seeing Ivor riding his bike around Bishopston and looking at him like he was royalty.

But that withstanding it has to be Robbie James for me. Started out as a forward, then midfield theen defender and excelled at all. Powerful yet graceful, tough tackling and sublime passing with a rocket of a shot.

A player most of us have been privileged to watch and taken from us way too soon.

Edit : Possibly the best player pre Giggs and Bale to wear the red or Wales too. And some would argue he had more too him than Giggs
[Post edited 26 May 2017 0:50]

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Greatest ever player. on 04:53 - May 26 with 1163 viewsJackanapes

Greatest ever player. on 00:22 - May 26 by Aquinas

It is worth noting that although Britton left us for Shef Utd, he was still involved with Swansea. I remember seeing him on the concourse with the fans at Wigan away when we bought 4,000+ on a tuesday night in the cup.

I am not ITK but it would not surprise me if the reason he left was because the manager at the time told him he would not play or he did not appreciate Leon's influence on the squad. Paul Clement (eventually) embraced it and it possibly kept him in a job. Other managers may not have been as tactful.

Sousa disclosed details of contract negotiations to the press much like Koeman is doing with Barkley right now.. Leon unhappy about that. By the time Sousa fkd off, Leon already agreed to join Blades.(Not ITK, this was common knowledge at the time)
[Post edited 26 May 2017 4:54]

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Greatest ever player. on 05:08 - May 26 with 1141 viewsskippyjack

These names always float about and get mentioned the most..

Allchurch
Cliff Jones
Robbie James
Alan Curtis

Modern era..

Britton
Williams
Rangel
Michu
And you'd have to say Gylfi..

Trundle, Tate and Freestone are fans favourites.. but for talent and ability.. they're not a patch on the above.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Greatest ever player. on 05:22 - May 26 with 1143 viewsTummer_from_Texas

After a few drinks, I take it back.

It is not ridiculous.

It's full retard, and proof that these internet polls are beyond totally worthless, they are tragically criminal and embarrassing and another small sign that society is collapsing. How the hell are 4 guys (who are all coincidentally players from the last 15 seasons) held in higher esteem than the guy who owns the club goal scoring record BY 50 GOALS?!?!

I can only imagine how someone would feel who actually saw Allchurch play.
[Post edited 26 May 2017 5:26]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Greatest ever player. on 06:14 - May 26 with 1121 viewswaynekerr55

Greatest ever player. on 22:22 - May 25 by Rancid

Rubbish.He's too small, doesn't score goals or create them but just neat and tidy.Not enough to be considered one of our best ever players or earn an England cap.

Too small? Like Messi, Xavi,Iniesta,lahm, Defoe, silva...

Mate the geezers positional sense and decision making in possession is unreal. If he was german/Spanish etc. He'd have caps for fun. You don't run the midfield at old Trafford at 34 years of age if you haven't got something about you.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Login to get fewer ads

Greatest ever player. on 07:14 - May 26 with 1108 viewsKilkennyjack

Greatest ever player. on 06:14 - May 26 by waynekerr55

Too small? Like Messi, Xavi,Iniesta,lahm, Defoe, silva...

Mate the geezers positional sense and decision making in possession is unreal. If he was german/Spanish etc. He'd have caps for fun. You don't run the midfield at old Trafford at 34 years of age if you haven't got something about you.

Correct.

If England were not England then Leon gets 50 caps.
Better than Dier, Henderson, livermore put together.

Not as good as Scholes, but one hell of a player.

Unfashionable Swansea see.

Beware of the Risen People

Greatest ever player. on 07:22 - May 26 with 1101 viewswaynekerr55

Greatest ever player. on 07:14 - May 26 by Kilkennyjack

Correct.

If England were not England then Leon gets 50 caps.
Better than Dier, Henderson, livermore put together.

Not as good as Scholes, but one hell of a player.

Unfashionable Swansea see.

You mention Scholes there Killy. Again, a player who Sven played on the left hand side... Gotta shoehorn Lampard and Gerrard in the same team see...

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Greatest ever player. on 09:09 - May 26 with 1067 viewsItchySphincter

Greatest ever player. on 00:19 - May 26 by Tummer_from_Texas

Obviously someone I never saw play, but it's ridiculous that Ivor Allchurch is in only in 5th place, so I voted for him.

166 career goals for Swansea Town (per Wikipedia, 2 more than WalesOnline gives him) is a record that will never be broken. Heck, 2nd place (Robbie James) is more than 50 goals behind him.
[Post edited 26 May 2017 0:23]

How you can vote for someone you've never seen is beyond me?

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Greatest ever player. on 09:18 - May 26 with 1052 viewsperchrockjack

Greatest club servant............ Leon

Most skilful.........................trundle

Most renowned......................Ivor (ask a Geordie)

Best goal scorer......................Latchford

Most loved............"...............Curt/Ivor/Robbie

Most dumb poll..".....................THIS

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Greatest ever player. on 09:22 - May 26 with 1052 viewsSgorioFruit

If you replace the word Gylfi for the word Leon
And if you replace the word Sigurdsson for the word Britton

You now have the greatest Swansea City player ever.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Greatest ever player. on 09:26 - May 26 with 1050 viewsLeonWasGod

Depends what you mean by great. For players who could make something out of nothing and turn a game in the flash of an eye, it's Michu in my time watching. Trundle a close second.

Leon is absolute class though - but just great in a different way. He controls the middle and protects the back four better than anyone else I've seen for us, and could just keep stepping up when he needed to. Best midfielder, by a mile (if you lump Michu in with the forwards).

Well aware that some of the older boys were a class apart, but I don't remember them too well.
Greatest ever player. on 09:36 - May 26 with 1041 viewssherpajacob

i changed my mind about 5 times in 30 seconds before voting for Robbie. best all rounder

greatest ever player, if you put it in terms of someone who would walk into a world XI then that's Ante.

In terms of skill - it's Curt - Never saw Ivor play, but from what I've heard happily put alongside Curt

in terms of swans legend status - Roger and Leon.

Nothing against Siggy, a couple more seasons and he can join these greats.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Greatest ever player. on 10:29 - May 26 with 1018 viewspencoedjack

Almost impossible to say I'm not sure how players from the 60s 70s would manage into today's game.

Personally Trundle was probably the most entertaining footballer I have seen play for the Swans I startied watching the Swans on the way down from the old 1st division so didn't see the best of some of the great names mentioned in the poll live.

I would of loved to have seen Bodde playing at the highest level I believe he could of been a top player.

The best for me would be Michu but that was only for a season. Gylfi / Leon would make my all time starting 11.

If the players mentioned were all at their peak at the same time what a team that would be.
[Post edited 26 May 2017 10:30]
Greatest ever player. on 10:49 - May 26 with 1000 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Greatest ever player. on 10:29 - May 26 by pencoedjack

Almost impossible to say I'm not sure how players from the 60s 70s would manage into today's game.

Personally Trundle was probably the most entertaining footballer I have seen play for the Swans I startied watching the Swans on the way down from the old 1st division so didn't see the best of some of the great names mentioned in the poll live.

I would of loved to have seen Bodde playing at the highest level I believe he could of been a top player.

The best for me would be Michu but that was only for a season. Gylfi / Leon would make my all time starting 11.

If the players mentioned were all at their peak at the same time what a team that would be.
[Post edited 26 May 2017 10:30]

Players from the 60s and 70s wouldn't cope with today's game but it's pointless comparing because if they were young men today with the benefits of diet and physical conditioning they'd be at the top of their profession anyway. You can only be the best of your generation and that's what they were.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Greatest ever player. on 10:58 - May 26 with 996 viewsTheResurrection

A beautiful man

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Greatest ever player. on 11:15 - May 26 with 979 viewsperchrockjack

If ,like me, you were fortunate to see Ivor play, there really is no contest frankly,mainly because of the sheer grace and beauty of the man ,in days when pitches were bogs and boots were togs. Modern day footballers wouldn't be able to stand up in what those players had to play in.

Imagine having boots nailed together and kicking a ball,which when wet, was lick kicking a land mine.

These were days when forwards were basically assaulted every time they went near the ball. To get an idea watch Bremners filthy Leeds thugs ,then double it.

Ivor was never booked ,nor retaliated . He just, if he was really cross,shook his head after getting up out of the mud

Robbie James shooting was compared to his .

Sadly, as we always did, he was flogged off and came back past his best,which was still beautiful to behold

Ivor and Charlo were and are world renowned for a reason . Our current players aren't and won't be

Changed my mind...Ivor all the way

Lest we forget this great Swansea man

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Greatest ever player. on 11:27 - May 26 with 974 viewsdameedna

You are looking at a role that noboby has played better in than Leon Britton.
I doubt Curtis would have got an England cap. Robbie i think he would.
Leon is ahead of the pack do far.
At 25 yo who would play a better dm? I cant think of amyone. Maybe Molby.
Greatest ever player. on 11:34 - May 26 with 960 viewsdeanscfc

If you take away the fact that it was for only one season then Michu must be up there as our most talented player...certainly of the modern era. Shame it was cut short by injury. But we wouldn't have won our major trophy without him.
Greatest ever player. on 14:06 - May 26 with 911 viewsSgorioFruit

Leon Britton
Played in all four divisions for us.
Scored one of the goals in the play off semi final to send us to Wembley.
Won league cup with us.
Played in Europe with us.
7 seasons in the top flight with us.
Massive influence in our great escape this season.
Without Leon we would have been playing Millwall next season.

No contest really.
However, I was born in 1984.
So I cannot really comment on Ivor et al.

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Greatest ever player. on 14:08 - May 26 with 910 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Has to be Allchurch surely

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Greatest ever player. on 18:39 - May 26 with 848 viewsSospan_Fach

Greatest ever player. on 21:35 - May 25 by vetchonian

Doubt it Dar check the stats his goals dried up as he climbed through the leagues also somethings not right as according to Wikedpeidia he didn't score 100 goals for us in his two spells.
For me an overrated player and I know he is a hero due to his self promotion and showboating but to be compared to Curt,Ivor,Robbie or Gylfi who have proven themselves at the top level is not right.
I will be shot down I know but if he really had it he wouldn't have gone to Bristol City but a PL club or a club in the championship competing for promotion...for £1M he would have have been worth a punt but the scouts obviously saw him for what he is a one footed showboater....lower league player but not good enough for the top flight...yes a Swans Legend and icon for some ...but then so is Whyndham Evans who actually played in the top flight !
[Post edited 25 May 2017 21:39]

Nice one.
[Post edited 26 May 2017 18:41]
Greatest ever player. on 18:45 - May 26 with 843 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Greatest ever player. on 05:08 - May 26 by skippyjack

These names always float about and get mentioned the most..

Allchurch
Cliff Jones
Robbie James
Alan Curtis

Modern era..

Britton
Williams
Rangel
Michu
And you'd have to say Gylfi..

Trundle, Tate and Freestone are fans favourites.. but for talent and ability.. they're not a patch on the above.

Fair post Skip

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024