Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? 10:49 - May 27 with 7473 viewsBloodyhills

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/new-uefa-rule-denied-s

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 10:53 - May 27 with 5939 viewsSTID2017

Pleased to hear that

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 10:54 - May 27 with 5933 viewsairedale

Depends, if the manager played his full squad, including the kids, then maybe not.
Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 11:08 - May 27 with 5891 viewspencoedjack

I always think we are to nice a sde

Although not advocating us becoming Stoke I think we should develop a nasty side to our game

As for Europe the season we had was great memories but at the moment we'd never cope
Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 11:09 - May 27 with 5885 viewsDrGonzo

Aye because the European games were such a drag.
Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 11:13 - May 27 with 5862 viewsSoberBaker

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 11:09 - May 27 by DrGonzo

Aye because the European games were such a drag.

Init? They were a right c*nt!

Personally, I'm gutted. European football would be about the only thing that would re-ignite my interest in the Swans next season :(

AMOW

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 11:16 - May 27 with 5848 viewsE20Jack

What is the point in trying to aim for top 6-8 then? Maybe the Americans are right and minimal investment hoping we come 17th is the way to go.

What an unambitious bunch of losers we have become.

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 11:34 - May 27 with 5806 viewsSoberBaker

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 11:16 - May 27 by E20Jack

What is the point in trying to aim for top 6-8 then? Maybe the Americans are right and minimal investment hoping we come 17th is the way to go.

I think Jenkins sussed this out a few years ago.

You have to spend fairly big to get near that top 6-8 and for what return?

AMOW

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 11:40 - May 27 with 5788 viewsE20Jack

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 11:34 - May 27 by SoberBaker

I think Jenkins sussed this out a few years ago.

You have to spend fairly big to get near that top 6-8 and for what return?

I disagree. We have a great foundation to do it now. We have finished 8th in the past and based on the last 19 games we have the 7th/8th best form. It wouldn't take much to get us competing at that level. £25m/£30m maybe.

The main benefit is you get a squad that improves its quality and helps guaranteeing the £110m+ kitty the season after, which in turn attracts better players (Bony came because he wanted to compete in Europe), it increases our global exposure (sponsorships, fans, potential players), increases turnover and TV revenue - the benefits are endless.

Yet many would prefer to stagnate in lower mid table obscurity.

Login to get fewer ads

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 11:54 - May 27 with 5747 viewsshandyjack

Yeah because it was awful last time we were in it. Let's just aim for 17 th every year like a good little club that we are

Poll: Expectation for the season

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 12:32 - May 27 with 5664 viewsdobjack2

I can see both sides of the argument over the Europa league.

If we had a squad that was strong enough to compete in Europe without causing serious problems in the league I would be gutted.

However we have a paper thin squad that needs quality additions so the Europa cup change is the least of my concerns for next season.
Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 12:48 - May 27 with 5609 viewsmacthejack

Yes Swansea could have been in the Europa League next season.

If the rules had been completely different.
Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 12:53 - May 27 with 5604 viewsWhiterockin

Best way for us to get into Europe is win a cup. We should take cup competitions more seriously.

On a side note.
"Instead, Swansea (and the Football Association) will be the recipients of extra prize money, and not the Europa League qualifying round place that was claimed by West Ham United in the 2014/15 season – the last campaign before the rule change."

Any idea how much money they are talking about.
Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 13:02 - May 27 with 5589 viewsNeath_Jack

Shame that, would have loved another European adventure.

What's the point in competing in a sport if you don't want the glory that goes with it.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 13:05 - May 27 with 5579 viewsE20Jack

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 12:32 - May 27 by dobjack2

I can see both sides of the argument over the Europa league.

If we had a squad that was strong enough to compete in Europe without causing serious problems in the league I would be gutted.

However we have a paper thin squad that needs quality additions so the Europa cup change is the least of my concerns for next season.

Why do you want to do well in the league though? Best we can hope for is to achieve European qualification.

Reminds me of the Cardiff fans saying they dont want to be in the Premier League while going and cheering their side every week to try and win. Counter productive.

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 13:08 - May 27 with 5564 viewsSTID2017

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 11:16 - May 27 by E20Jack

Not unambitious - just realistic.
If say next season we make a good fist of it, the squad can be reinforced then Europe the following few seasons would be welcome

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 13:13 - May 27 with 5550 viewsNeath_Jack

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 13:08 - May 27 by STID2017

If say next season we make a good fist of it, the squad can be reinforced then Europe the following few seasons would be welcome

What's your view on the F.A and League cups?

Shall we bow out of those at the earliest opportunity too?

Not for me my friend, i want to be involved and try to win every competition that's available to us.

If my aunty had balls she'd be my unlce.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 13:44 - May 27 with 5489 viewsBorojack

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 11:54 - May 27 by shandyjack

Yeah because it was awful last time we were in it. Let's just aim for 17 th every year like a good little club that we are

I agree no point playing if you don't want to achieve something.
I don't subscribe to this stay in the PL at all cost we should be trying to qualify for Europe either through the League and its about time we had a good crack at the FA Cup as well.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins be sacked

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 13:47 - May 27 with 5475 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

If it was not for Tremmel's horrendous performances in the group stage costing us the first place in the group, we could have gone very far in that competition. Valencia's route to the semi final was very winnable for us.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 13:49 - May 27 with 5480 viewsE20Jack

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 13:08 - May 27 by STID2017

There will never be a good time according to some. If we have a good season then the likelihood is we will be weaker the season after not stronger.

Realism is the fact we have got to the knockout stages of Europe, won a major trophy and have just come off the back of our best half season in our Premier League history. To resign ourselves to lower mid table mediocrity is the exact reason why the Likes of Llorente wont want to stay. Who can blame him.

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 14:05 - May 27 with 5441 viewsdobjack2

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 13:05 - May 27 by E20Jack

Why do you want to do well in the league though? Best we can hope for is to achieve European qualification.

Reminds me of the Cardiff fans saying they dont want to be in the Premier League while going and cheering their side every week to try and win. Counter productive.

I think that you misunderstand me.

What I want is good quality entertaining and winning football played at the Liberty. Not seasons of indifferent stuff flirting with relegation until the drop finally happens. Not doing a Sunderland.

How high we finish in the league above the relegation spots would be a bonus.

Cup runs would be welcome with a stronger squad; with the squad we currently have I believe cup runs would affect our league form as the squad does not have enough quality or strength in depth.
Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 14:12 - May 27 with 5429 viewsE20Jack

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 14:05 - May 27 by dobjack2

I think that you misunderstand me.

What I want is good quality entertaining and winning football played at the Liberty. Not seasons of indifferent stuff flirting with relegation until the drop finally happens. Not doing a Sunderland.

How high we finish in the league above the relegation spots would be a bonus.

Cup runs would be welcome with a stronger squad; with the squad we currently have I believe cup runs would affect our league form as the squad does not have enough quality or strength in depth.

But with good quality entertaining football surely comes with winning games? Nobody wants to play pretty and lose. The more of those entertaining and quality wins we get the more chance we have of qualifying for Europe.

When/if we do qualify then we add players accordingly. We are never going to do it in reverse order and get a strong squad with depth - then try and qualify. It will be qualify first, then strengthen.

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 18:24 - May 27 with 5227 viewsKilkennyjack

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 13:47 - May 27 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

If it was not for Tremmel's horrendous performances in the group stage costing us the first place in the group, we could have gone very far in that competition. Valencia's route to the semi final was very winnable for us.

True

Beware of the Risen People

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 19:43 - May 27 with 5168 viewsdobjack2

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 14:12 - May 27 by E20Jack

But with good quality entertaining football surely comes with winning games? Nobody wants to play pretty and lose. The more of those entertaining and quality wins we get the more chance we have of qualifying for Europe.

When/if we do qualify then we add players accordingly. We are never going to do it in reverse order and get a strong squad with depth - then try and qualify. It will be qualify first, then strengthen.

At the moment we don't have the depth of squad to qualify.

Strengthen then we might qualify, but if we don't qualify keep on strengthening on top of what we have. Don't strengthen and we will go the other way.
[Post edited 28 May 2017 0:30]
Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 21:54 - May 27 with 5071 viewslonglostjack

Let's give the FA Cup a real go next season and take it from there.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Could have been in Europa League next season. Dodged a bullet? on 22:24 - May 27 with 5035 viewsSPboy

Life is too short. Life is for living. What's the point in waiting until we have a squad that can 'compete'. Nights like Valencia away or Belgium in Lille do not have to be once in a lifetime experiences.

I just don't understand the mentality of the likes of West Ham & Southampton who slogged it out for 9 months to qualify then made such a pathetic showing in the Europa League last season
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024