Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Virginmedia speed or lack off 22:28 - May 27 with 4006 viewsJackswan

Been a few months now and getting crxp speeds on a 70Mb line with Virginmedia. Lucky if I'm having a 5MB download most of the time, been told by an engineer who came out to fix it, but left without doing nothing, that it is down to over utilization (too many people connected to the street box). Couple of months before they even look at that. This is in the Llansamlet area. Anyone else had the same problem?
Wondering if BT would give a more stable speed on their fibre broadband, seems a comparable price.
Virginmedia speed or lack off on 23:36 - May 27 with 3974 viewsjack2jack

Not on Virgin, have got fibre broadband with EE consistently get 30 mb download speed*, with no limit on usage, pretty good around, have you tried Speed test, will give you an idea of what your getting,but if your paying for super fast, I'd get on to them and tell em your not a happy bunny, and for them to get it sorted.
*As tested on tablet through wireless connection.
[Post edited 28 May 2017 22:44]
Virginmedia speed or lack off on 23:57 - May 27 with 3960 viewsNeathJack

I'm with BT and would happily recommend. In the 18 months I've been with them I've never dropped below the 30mb I'm paying for, at least not that I've noticed.
Virginmedia speed or lack off on 00:21 - May 28 with 3938 viewstheloneranger

Get back to Virgin Media and complain, and speak to a manager. The engineer is talking crap, you're not getting what you're paying​ for.

Do speed checks like j2j said, testing your wireless speed and if possible using an Ethernet cable direct from your Hub to your computer which will give you a better Idea of your download speed.
[Post edited 28 May 2017 9:36]

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Virginmedia speed or lack off on 07:58 - May 28 with 3884 viewsSPboy

This is what worked for me ...

Do an internet speed test with an ethernet cable connected to your PC / laptop. If you are getting less than 70MB, leave it connected & phone them up. They can tweak up the speed at the flick of a switch - keep them on line until you get the speed you are paying for.

NOTE: you will NOT get the same speed via a wireless connection

good luck, getting to speak to a human being is the hardest part, especially on a weekend or bank holiday. The Virgin products are good when they are working, their service when something is not right is atrocious, just like almost every other household service provider including BT
Virginmedia speed or lack off on 08:07 - May 28 with 3875 viewsMeraki

Change the channel that you connecting through, you can access it through the admin settings on your router.
Virginmedia speed or lack off on 22:11 - May 28 with 3743 viewsJackswan

So no one else has had this problem with Virginmedia?

Right then, I'm using a wired connection from the router to both PC's in the house, wireless is worse.
Using Speedtest gives an average of about 5Mb download.

Spoken to Virginmedia numerous times, they cannot just flick a switch. This over utilization problem is all over the country with them, just look at the Virginmedia forums.

Is there anyone else that can confirm that they are getting a constant speed on BT infinity? Virginmedia have broken the contract due to not supplying the speed that I am paying for, so am thinking about BT.
Virginmedia speed or lack off on 22:36 - May 28 with 3721 viewsJack123

Always been pretty good for me Virgin, I'm paying for 150mb, just tested now and getting 163 down and about 10 up, I think the wireless gives about the 50-80mb down mark..

libera nos a malo

Virginmedia speed or lack off on 23:02 - May 28 with 3695 viewsJackswan

Virginmedia speed or lack off on 22:36 - May 28 by Jack123

Always been pretty good for me Virgin, I'm paying for 150mb, just tested now and getting 163 down and about 10 up, I think the wireless gives about the 50-80mb down mark..

What area are you in?
Login to get fewer ads

Virginmedia speed or lack off on 23:22 - May 28 with 3680 viewsJack123

Virginmedia speed or lack off on 23:02 - May 28 by Jackswan

What area are you in?

Swansea sa1, I meant to say earlier, when on the phone to vm they can do a few things like adjust power levels.. But if you are paying for 70mb and only getting 5mb.. You need a massive reduction on your bill.. Depends how many devices you have in your house using the internet, but I would say if you can get a big discount due to the shoddy servive, go for it, I think it's something like 2.5 or 3mb required to stream hd content..

libera nos a malo

Virginmedia speed or lack off on 23:48 - May 28 with 3669 viewsJackswan

Virginmedia speed or lack off on 23:22 - May 28 by Jack123

Swansea sa1, I meant to say earlier, when on the phone to vm they can do a few things like adjust power levels.. But if you are paying for 70mb and only getting 5mb.. You need a massive reduction on your bill.. Depends how many devices you have in your house using the internet, but I would say if you can get a big discount due to the shoddy servive, go for it, I think it's something like 2.5 or 3mb required to stream hd content..

Power levels are fine, they have been checked.
Supposed to be receiving a discount next month but what is the point? Probably one or two devices using the internet at the same time in the house, so not really sucking the bandwidth out of it.

Pity there are no cable engineers on here

[Post edited 28 May 2017 23:50]
Virginmedia speed or lack off on 23:55 - May 28 with 3660 viewsJack123

Virginmedia speed or lack off on 23:48 - May 28 by Jackswan

Supposed to be receiving a discount next month but what is the point? Probably one or two devices using the internet at the same time in the house, so not really sucking the bandwidth out of it.

I don't know what to say really.. unless there is a massive discount available, just fck them off,, I don't go on the cable forums but Iv'e never heard of this! vm getting so rammed so the user suffers.

libera nos a malo

Virginmedia speed or lack off on 00:12 - May 29 with 3650 viewsjackpot

In SA6 and on Virgin. Just checked mine and its 212 download speed. Find Virgin absolutely great.
Get onto them and ask them what they are going to do to give you what you are paying for and how much discount they are going to give you as compensation and to keep your business.
Virginmedia speed or lack off on 00:30 - May 29 with 3645 viewsNeathJack

Virginmedia speed or lack off on 23:48 - May 28 by Jackswan

Have you spoken to your neighbours who are also on Virgin to see what speed they are getting?
Virginmedia speed or lack off on 14:16 - May 29 with 3572 viewsJackswan

Okay, just spoken to Virginmedia technical in India!!!

Problem is too many people connected to the street box. Fix date is 19th July, believe that when I see it.

Speed is now less than 1Mb, cannot do anything about it
Virginmedia speed or lack off on 15:08 - May 29 with 3551 viewsCountyJim

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6335060834

Thats my result on Virgin paying for 100 mbs
[Post edited 29 May 2017 15:09]
Virginmedia speed or lack off on 16:10 - May 29 with 3522 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Just remember Virgin are still using coaxial cables which is 1950 technology. Ask them when the are going to upgrade to fibre.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Virginmedia speed or lack off on 17:45 - May 29 with 3490 viewsjedijack

Virginmedia speed or lack off on 16:10 - May 29 by felixstowe_jack

Just remember Virgin are still using coaxial cables which is 1950 technology. Ask them when the are going to upgrade to fibre.

They use a hybrid fiber coax network that should be fine up to docsis 3.1 and up to 10Gb/s transfer.

Why do they need to upgrade anything?
Virginmedia speed or lack off on 17:52 - May 29 with 3482 viewsjedijack

Virginmedia speed or lack off on 22:11 - May 28 by Jackswan

So no one else has had this problem with Virginmedia?

Right then, I'm using a wired connection from the router to both PC's in the house, wireless is worse.
Using Speedtest gives an average of about 5Mb download.

Spoken to Virginmedia numerous times, they cannot just flick a switch. This over utilization problem is all over the country with them, just look at the Virginmedia forums.

Is there anyone else that can confirm that they are getting a constant speed on BT infinity? Virginmedia have broken the contract due to not supplying the speed that I am paying for, so am thinking about BT.

Are you ever getting proper speeds? Does the problem get worse in peak hours?
Virginmedia speed or lack off on 07:20 - May 30 with 3405 viewsJackswan

There you are, at 7.10am this morning, peak times are worse.
Virginmedia speed or lack off on 07:36 - May 30 with 3381 viewsSTID2017

Download 40, upload 7, paying for 100.
That was my result at 7.30 on android tablet - SA6 area

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Virginmedia speed or lack off on 07:52 - May 30 with 3379 viewsJackswan

Virginmedia speed or lack off on 07:36 - May 30 by STID2017

Download 40, upload 7, paying for 100.
That was my result at 7.30 on android tablet - SA6 area

That's not very good and not very far from me
Virginmedia speed or lack off on 08:14 - May 30 with 3370 viewsSTID2017

Virginmedia speed or lack off on 07:52 - May 30 by Jackswan

That's not very good and not very far from me

I'll try it on erthernet with desktop later and let you know.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Virginmedia speed or lack off on 09:36 - May 30 with 3344 viewsfbreath

Any speed test should be done using a wired device to the router with nothing else on line.

Wireless speeds will be a lot slower due to speed limitations of the wireless part of the router and wireless device so will not give a true reflection of the speed you are actually getting.

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

Virginmedia speed or lack off on 11:12 - May 30 with 3318 viewsjedijack

Virginmedia speed or lack off on 07:20 - May 30 by Jackswan

There you are, at 7.10am this morning, peak times are worse.

Wow that is poor.

I'm also in SA6 and getting 200/11 virtually 24/7.

I'd be dubious about what virgin have said about over subscription of the cabinet. I'd assume they only have as many ports as they can handle. Seeing that kind of latency and transfer speed so early in the morning will mean it's not a general contention issue either.

As an earlier poster said I'd be sorely tempted to speak with the neighbours to find out if they're OK. Something that shit can't be affecting many people surely.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024