Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Semedo is the class we need!! 09:49 - May 30 with 6091 viewsRichythejack

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/3089461/southampton-everton-ruben-semedo

This guy is one hell of a player, quick, strong and good ball player. Southampton scouting system is impeccable and this is the targets we need to be going for. At 12 million this guy is a bargain!!!

Poll: Should Darran be banned from the forums?

Semedo is the class we need!! on 10:01 - May 30 with 6064 viewsjackjackjackjack

£12m? Article says £20m+.

Poll: Where will we finish in the Championship ?

Semedo is the class we need!! on 19:43 - May 30 with 5740 viewsmax936

That's 7 million above our limit

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Semedo is the class we need!! on 20:24 - May 30 with 5656 viewsLeonWasGod

Semedo is the class we need!! on 10:01 - May 30 by jackjackjackjack

£12m? Article says £20m+.

£20m+ for a defender, with Everton interested.....

Think we can safely right this one off.
Semedo is the class we need!! on 22:57 - May 30 with 5521 viewsEbo

We've had a roaring success with Portuguese players in the past haven't we?

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Semedo is the class we need!! on 00:31 - May 31 with 5397 viewsNirvana

£20m for a CB???

WAY out of our league, and rightfully so.

Some more realistic options:

- Paul Baysse from Nice is on a free, would be perfect for us
- Neven Subitic wants to play in the PL and looked great with Koln last season
- Florentin Pogba (Paul's crazy brother) also wants to play in the PL and only has a year left on his contract
Semedo is the class we need!! on 09:51 - May 31 with 5278 viewsRichythejack

Semedo is the class we need!! on 00:31 - May 31 by Nirvana

£20m for a CB???

- Florentin Pogba (Paul's crazy brother) also wants to play in the PL and only has a year left on his contract

Very short sighted view to be honest.

20 mil for the key area we need and I would imagine it would be slightly less than that. The sell on value of this type of player too, the three you mention are not on the same level and we want to move forward not be scrapping for relegation once again

Semedo is the class we need!! on 20:11 - May 31 with 5158 viewsNirvana

Semedo is the class we need!! on 09:51 - May 31 by Richythejack

Very short sighted view to be honest.

20 mil for the key area we need and I would imagine it would be slightly less than that. The sell on value of this type of player too, the three you mention are not on the same level and we want to move forward not be scrapping for relegation once again

Believe me, Richy, I'm the biggest proponent of the club spending more for quality young players, or at least right up there, but this is kind of absurd.

£20m for a 23-year old CB who's only played two seasons in a top-flight league, and that league is Portugal? We're not Arsenal. Sorry, but this strategy is what's short-sighted. He's a good player with a bright future, but not for us. Blow just one decision like this and we're back in the Championship, as evidenced this year with Borja, and we don't have the commercial revenue to compete without the PL money.

On the pitch, we need leadership, experience, and composure more than anything in the backline. He wouldn't provide that, at least not for a few years, and by that point we'd have sold him already. Plus, our biggest issue is at DM, and we should spend good money on someone of class to fill Leon's boots before anything else. Someone like, altogether now, Vincent Koziello.

The guys I put forth are realistic options that would fill actual weaknesses of ours, not some dream player. They've proven themselves to be just as good as Semedo currently is, and would cost a fraction of his sky-high pricetag. They have quality and would help us "move forward" like you said, and are much better than Amat or VDH.

We have to be smart about our big purchases (again, Borja) and blowing £20m on Semedo wouldn't qualify as that.
Semedo is the class we need!! on 09:35 - Jun 5 with 4857 viewsRichythejack

Semedo is the class we need!! on 20:11 - May 31 by Nirvana

Believe me, Richy, I'm the biggest proponent of the club spending more for quality young players, or at least right up there, but this is kind of absurd.

£20m for a 23-year old CB who's only played two seasons in a top-flight league, and that league is Portugal? We're not Arsenal. Sorry, but this strategy is what's short-sighted. He's a good player with a bright future, but not for us. Blow just one decision like this and we're back in the Championship, as evidenced this year with Borja, and we don't have the commercial revenue to compete without the PL money.

On the pitch, we need leadership, experience, and composure more than anything in the backline. He wouldn't provide that, at least not for a few years, and by that point we'd have sold him already. Plus, our biggest issue is at DM, and we should spend good money on someone of class to fill Leon's boots before anything else. Someone like, altogether now, Vincent Koziello.

The guys I put forth are realistic options that would fill actual weaknesses of ours, not some dream player. They've proven themselves to be just as good as Semedo currently is, and would cost a fraction of his sky-high pricetag. They have quality and would help us "move forward" like you said, and are much better than Amat or VDH.

We have to be smart about our big purchases (again, Borja) and blowing £20m on Semedo wouldn't qualify as that.

i don't agree sorry, there is a certain Southampton Player who is now being inked for 50M move. Pretty sure we were heavily linked and missed out. Simple fact is buy quality. The commercial revenue the club generate and also the TV money is more than enough to fund this sort of move. We need to stop wasting money on people who are just hanging on to fill up the squad with the likes of Dyer for example and just get them off the wage bill.

Login to get fewer ads

Semedo is the class we need!! on 09:57 - Jun 5 with 4793 viewsCooperman

I'm with Nirvana on this.

Huwbert probably is too.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Semedo is the class we need!! on 10:00 - Jun 5 with 4783 viewsLeonWasGod

Semedo is the class we need!! on 09:35 - Jun 5 by Richythejack

i don't agree sorry, there is a certain Southampton Player who is now being inked for 50M move. Pretty sure we were heavily linked and missed out. Simple fact is buy quality. The commercial revenue the club generate and also the TV money is more than enough to fund this sort of move. We need to stop wasting money on people who are just hanging on to fill up the squad with the likes of Dyer for example and just get them off the wage bill.

Much as we'd all like to have an unlimited pot, it's all pretty irrelevant as we won't smash our transfer record on a CB when we've got 5 already. We barely break even when we buy players for 5 million, so there's no way we're suddenly going to start throwing tens of millions around. We can't afford it. And money doesn't guarantee quality either as Baston has shown.

Unfortunately we're always going to have to look for bargains on the cheap, with only a few rare exceptions (e.g. a Bony or Baston every year or two).
Semedo is the class we need!! on 10:01 - Jun 5 with 4769 viewsSTID2017

Semedo is the class we need!! on 09:57 - Jun 5 by Cooperman

I'm with Nirvana on this.

Huwbert probably is too.

Makes sense.
If we ever paid £20 million for any player I'd expect it to be Ronaldo, Gareth Bale or similar in their fading years

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Semedo is the class we need!! on 11:33 - Jun 5 with 4589 viewslonglostjack

Andreas Christensen would be a better bet Impressed at Mönchengladbach on loan from Chelsea and his contract is up this summer. Maybe PC could use his contacts there.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2017 11:35]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Semedo is the class we need!! on 13:23 - Jun 5 with 4436 viewssP7qupUf

I'm not advocating spending foolishly, but.... there has to be realisation from the club and posters on this forum that the ball park has changed. The money in the PL will inevitably result in inflated figures being asked for players. This will be driven by agents and players themselves. The days of buying cheap are gone, despite the odd bargain. We have been left behind in recent years while other teams strengthened (Stoke, West Brom, West Ham) and we have ground to make up. To my mind therefore, we have to move away from the £5,000,000 approach or we will eventually be relegated.

The other side of the coin is that we should be playing hardball when it comes to other clubs coming in for our players. Therefore if Keane is valued at £25 million by Burnley and Everton want £50 million for Barkley we really should be holding out for at least £40 for Gylfi.
Semedo is the class we need!! on 14:07 - Jun 5 with 4347 viewsLoyal

Semedo is the class we need!! on 00:31 - May 31 by Nirvana

£20m for a CB???

Florentine, is this the guy who put a tarantula in a fellow players kit bag ?
If we sign Terry I advocate signing this guy as well 😂

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Semedo is the class we need!! on 13:14 - Jun 6 with 4108 viewsRichythejack

Being stated that this guy has a 12.5m release clause in his contract. Also agree the 5m bargain buys will not work long term

Semedo is the class we need!! on 18:05 - Jun 6 with 3896 viewsNirvana

Semedo is the class we need!! on 09:35 - Jun 5 by Richythejack

Yes, Van Dijk is a success but many others are not. There is no guarantee Semedo would be and £20m (or £12.5m) is a lot to risk on that, given Jenkins' penchant for penny-pinching.

Have you seen him play? Genuine question. If you have, you'd know he's extremely error-prone in defence. He has a habit of lunging in poor situations, á la Fernández, and gets caught out of position repeatedly, like you have chastised Alfie for. We need a calming influence back there and he's certainly not that, yet.

As I said, he is a talented player with a good future, but he is not what we need in the backline right now. More importantly, we have other, more pressing areas to consider first where that money could be used more wisely. Like DM, RB, creative attackers/wingers. I'd start there.

As to your main point, I agree wholeheartedly with you and did so in my response. We should absolutely be paying more for quality players, particularly younger ones from lesser-known leagues in Europe. But Semedo is not the guy to start with.
Semedo is the class we need!! on 18:11 - Jun 6 with 3867 viewsNirvana

Semedo is the class we need!! on 14:07 - Jun 5 by Loyal

Florentine, is this the guy who put a tarantula in a fellow players kit bag ?
If we sign Terry I advocate signing this guy as well 😂

No idea, honestly.

I'm not up-to-date on spider/footballer interaction, but definitely makes for an interesting story.

Couldn't find anything in a quick search on Google, so over to you for the details.
Semedo is the class we need!! on 18:47 - Jun 6 with 3815 viewsGriffting

Looks like he's off to Villareal.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024