Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London tower block on fire 05:32 - Jun 14 with 71546 viewsSwansNZ

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40269625

Sounds like some people might be trapped.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

London tower block on fire on 17:56 - Jun 18 with 2118 viewsexiledclaseboy

London tower block on fire on 17:10 - Jun 18 by ploppy

Yeah, I knew that. I also knew that you wouldn't be able to resist.

Course you did. Give yourself a gold star.

Poll: Tory leader

London tower block on fire on 18:10 - Jun 18 with 2092 viewsploppy

London tower block on fire on 17:56 - Jun 18 by exiledclaseboy

Course you did. Give yourself a gold star.

Cheers.
London tower block on fire on 19:33 - Jun 18 with 2036 viewswaynekerr55

London tower block on fire on 11:27 - Jun 18 by exiledclaseboy

Labour really pushing the call to requisition empty properties in the area on th Sunday politics shows this morning.

John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, has called for the government to consider emergency legislation to ensure homes can be requisitioned to house the families made homeless by the Grenfell Tower fire.

Speaking on Sky’s Ridge on Sunday, McDonnell said that councils already had the power to requisition property, using compulsory purchase orders, to find places for people to live. Last week Jeremy Corbyn, the Labour leader, suggested these powers should be used in Kensington following the fire tragedy.

But when it was put to McDonnell that this process could take time, he said parliament could legislate to speed things up. He told the programme:

“In emergency measures, as we saw in wartime periods as well, you can requisition properties. You will need powers to do it. We have got those powers.

“If necessary, I would have convened parliament immediately to, if necessary, push more legislation through within 24 hours, if that was necessary. We cannot be in a situation where we have people who have lost their homes struggling to find alternative accommodation and we have properties standing empty."

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn renewed his call to requisition empty homes in Kensington and Chelsea to house victims of the blaze.

“There are a large number of deliberately kept vacant flats and properties all over London. It’s called ‘land banking’. People with a lot of money, buy a house, buy a flat, keep it empty”.

“Occupy it, compulsory purchase it, requisition it. There’s a lot of things you can do,” he told Peston on Sunday. “Can’t we as a society just think, all of us.

He added you “have to bring all assets to the table” in an emergency.

I think this post deserves a thread of its own if I'm honest, certainly plenty to discuss on the topic.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

London tower block on fire on 19:54 - Jun 18 with 2015 viewslondonlisa2001

London tower block on fire on 19:33 - Jun 18 by waynekerr55

I think this post deserves a thread of its own if I'm honest, certainly plenty to discuss on the topic.

It's complete populist nonsense from Corbyn. Compulsory purchase orders on properties in Kensington? For 400 plus people he said. That's the budget gone then.

Occupy them? So illegally take them over then?

What they should actually do, is take over accommodation from the universities for the next three months until they can sort out a more permanent solution. They'll have loads of accommodation free until September. Alternatively, the MPs that have a home in London and also claim for a flat in London (of which the last time they did an investigation, there were 46 in total, of whom 14 were from the Labour Party), should give them up.

These residents should be found accommodation as soon as possible. And not be shunted from pillar to post, or put in unsuitable places. But Corbyn et al are just attempting to score points again, because the council / government will say it's impossible (because it is), and will be atcked over it.

A shame they can't occupy themselves doing something useful to actually help, the whole sorry lot of them, on all sides.
London tower block on fire on 19:55 - Jun 18 with 2014 viewsswanjackal

London tower block on fire on 19:33 - Jun 18 by waynekerr55

Not going to lie, what he suggests makes me very uncomfortable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

London tower block on fire on 20:03 - Jun 18 with 1991 viewswaynekerr55

London tower block on fire on 19:55 - Jun 18 by swanjackal

Not going to lie, what he suggests makes me very uncomfortable.

Have they even thought of the unintended consequences of such a move, particularly on the 'normal' man and woman on the street that they purport to represent?

London tower block on fire on 20:08 - Jun 18 with 1986 viewsploppy

It's not just Corbyn et al trying to score points, Lisa. There's plenty on here trying to score points on their behalf. You are one of the few voices of reason on here.
London tower block on fire on 20:11 - Jun 18 with 1978 viewsexiledclaseboy

London tower block on fire on 19:54 - Jun 18 by londonlisa2001

It's complete populist nonsense from Corbyn. Compulsory purchase orders on properties in Kensington? For 400 plus people he said. That's the budget gone then.

Occupy them? So illegally take them over then?

What they should actually do, is take over accommodation from the universities for the next three months until they can sort out a more permanent solution. They'll have loads of accommodation free until September. Alternatively, the MPs that have a home in London and also claim for a flat in London (of which the last time they did an investigation, there were 46 in total, of whom 14 were from the Labour Party), should give them up.

These residents should be found accommodation as soon as possible. And not be shunted from pillar to post, or put in unsuitable places. But Corbyn et al are just attempting to score points again, because the council / government will say it's impossible (because it is), and will be atcked over it.

A shame they can't occupy themselves doing something useful to actually help, the whole sorry lot of them, on all sides.

How about working with the owners of these empty properties to see about using them temporarily on a voluntary basis?

Poll: Tory leader

Login to get fewer ads

London tower block on fire on 20:15 - Jun 18 with 1968 viewswaynekerr55

London tower block on fire on 20:11 - Jun 18 by exiledclaseboy

How about working with the owners of these empty properties to see about using them temporarily on a voluntary basis?

Is the correct and sensible idea. Didn't the Neville's and Ryan Giggs let squatters stay in a property whilst it was being done up? Different circumstances I know, but it shows not all rich people are bastards.

London tower block on fire on 20:19 - Jun 18 with 1956 viewsswanjackal

London tower block on fire on 20:03 - Jun 18 by waynekerr55

Have they even thought of the unintended consequences of such a move, particularly on the 'normal' man and woman on the street that they purport to represent?

He applies sixth form politics, sounds good in principle, but reality shoots it down.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

London tower block on fire on 20:39 - Jun 18 with 1917 viewslondonlisa2001

London tower block on fire on 20:08 - Jun 18 by ploppy

It's not just Corbyn et al trying to score points, Lisa. There's plenty on here trying to score points on their behalf. You are one of the few voices of reason on here.

Tends to focus the mind when you can see the building from the end of your road.

I'm beyond angry. Angry that we have a prime minster without the sense, and indeed, basic humanity to get her ar*e there in the middle of the night and stay there meeting people and seeing how she could help for the next 24 hours. Angry that the local council (who share services with my council) can't manage to their way out of a paper bag. and won't put on high visibility vests so people know who they are, because they're scared. Angry that no one shows any sense to bring in people who are used to managing disaster areas so the Red Cross have to step in (what about mobilising the bloody army for Gods sake - isnt this the sort of thing the Logistics people do - get aid distributed properly)?

Angry that I'm being handed leaflets at Shepherds Bush station urging me to bring 'justice for Grenfell Tower' by marching on Wednesday and 'bringing London to its knees by any means possible' until Corbyn is PM. Angry that false figures are being bandied about to score political points. Angry that residents are being moved around to avoid media. Angry that people are being put in totally unsuitable accommodation. Angry that 'Grenfell Tower' is now a byword for anti government feeling.

Angry that yobbos are taking to the streets to protest rather than getting their sorry ar*es to places to help and are making false claims of 'only getting involved due to knowing people in the Tower' despite being well known political activists.

Angry that unmentionable scum bags are turning up at the help centres and pretending to be residents to get free clothing.

Angry that we have a chancellor who decides he can't tell whether sprinklers may, you know, help in a fire, without a report. Angry at stupid, stupid people who reckon Theresa May is being as hard done by as residents because people are being nasty to her.

Just all of them. F*** off. Excuse the rant.
London tower block on fire on 20:45 - Jun 18 with 1905 viewslondonlisa2001

London tower block on fire on 20:11 - Jun 18 by exiledclaseboy

Perfectly sensible and reasonable.

The issue will be that many of them are actually companies or individuals based in China, or Russia, or the Arab States, or the US.

There are easier ways to get temporary accommodation I would imagine. And of course, suggesting that property should be 'occupied' is probably not the best way to encourage co-operation.

But it's worth a go.
London tower block on fire on 20:48 - Jun 18 with 1892 viewsShaky

London tower block on fire on 20:03 - Jun 18 by waynekerr55

The everyday man or woman on the Clapham omnibus with dormant investment properties sitting vacant in Kensington?

Nah, they tend to be owned by shell companies in offshore tax havens, which is why a cooperative solution is impractical. Another reason is that the need for alternative housing is urgent.

This is an impractical proposal from Labour that nevertheless makes excellent politics in that it highlights both a serious scandal of wasted resources generally and the serious distortion to the property market, of overseas buyers acquiring UK property that they just want to sit on, often for money laundering purposes.

The solution is to tax the crap out of overseas owned property that is not being renovated or marketed for say a period of 3 months. Something along those lines.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

London tower block on fire on 20:53 - Jun 18 with 1881 viewswaynekerr55

London tower block on fire on 20:39 - Jun 18 by londonlisa2001

Tends to focus the mind when you can see the building from the end of your road.

I'm beyond angry. Angry that we have a prime minster without the sense, and indeed, basic humanity to get her ar*e there in the middle of the night and stay there meeting people and seeing how she could help for the next 24 hours. Angry that the local council (who share services with my council) can't manage to their way out of a paper bag. and won't put on high visibility vests so people know who they are, because they're scared. Angry that no one shows any sense to bring in people who are used to managing disaster areas so the Red Cross have to step in (what about mobilising the bloody army for Gods sake - isnt this the sort of thing the Logistics people do - get aid distributed properly)?

Angry that I'm being handed leaflets at Shepherds Bush station urging me to bring 'justice for Grenfell Tower' by marching on Wednesday and 'bringing London to its knees by any means possible' until Corbyn is PM. Angry that false figures are being bandied about to score political points. Angry that residents are being moved around to avoid media. Angry that people are being put in totally unsuitable accommodation. Angry that 'Grenfell Tower' is now a byword for anti government feeling.

Angry that yobbos are taking to the streets to protest rather than getting their sorry ar*es to places to help and are making false claims of 'only getting involved due to knowing people in the Tower' despite being well known political activists.

Angry that unmentionable scum bags are turning up at the help centres and pretending to be residents to get free clothing.

Angry that we have a chancellor who decides he can't tell whether sprinklers may, you know, help in a fire, without a report. Angry at stupid, stupid people who reckon Theresa May is being as hard done by as residents because people are being nasty to her.

Exhibit A.

Fúcktards in abundance on Twitter

London tower block on fire on 20:54 - Jun 18 with 1875 viewswaynekerr55

London tower block on fire on 20:48 - Jun 18 by Shaky

The everyday man or woman on the Clapham omnibus with dormant investment properties sitting vacant in Kensington?

Nah, they tend to be owned by shell companies in offshore tax havens, which is why a cooperative solution is impractical. Another reason is that the need for alternative housing is urgent.

This is an impractical proposal from Labour that nevertheless makes excellent politics in that it highlights both a serious scandal of wasted resources generally and the serious distortion to the property market, of overseas buyers acquiring UK property that they just want to sit on, often for money laundering purposes.

The solution is to tax the crap out of overseas owned property that is not being renovated or marketed for say a period of 3 months. Something along those lines.

I'm talking about the impact of requisitioning property on the wider market. In my opinion it's ridiculous and your suggestion is far more sensible.

And, as an addendum - not that it will happen, but if it did, where would it end? A very dangerous path to take IMO.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2017 20:58]

London tower block on fire on 20:57 - Jun 18 with 1862 viewslondonlisa2001

London tower block on fire on 20:48 - Jun 18 by Shaky

This isn't the right time to be highlighting scandals of wasted resources and distortion to the property market for the purpose of 'excellent politics'. It's the time for all of them, from every side, to solve the immediate problem. I agree with the sentiment, but there are better things for them to concentrate on at present.
London tower block on fire on 21:06 - Jun 18 with 1842 viewsploppy

London tower block on fire on 20:39 - Jun 18 by londonlisa2001

No problem.

You're only missing one thing. As Chevy Chase said in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation after his rant
"Where's the Tylenol".
London tower block on fire on 21:06 - Jun 18 with 1842 viewsHighjack

Is that true about people handing out flyers inciting to bring down the City of London?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

London tower block on fire on 21:12 - Jun 18 with 1826 viewslondonlisa2001

London tower block on fire on 20:53 - Jun 18 by waynekerr55

Exhibit A.

Fúcktards in abundance on Twitter

That'll be a lovely reminder for all the families that have lost loved ones to see every day for the rest of their lives won't it.

Thoughtful for him to put their needs front and centre.
London tower block on fire on 21:13 - Jun 18 with 1824 viewsShaky

London tower block on fire on 20:54 - Jun 18 by waynekerr55

I'm talking about the impact of requisitioning property on the wider market. In my opinion it's ridiculous and your suggestion is far more sensible.

And, as an addendum - not that it will happen, but if it did, where would it end? A very dangerous path to take IMO.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2017 20:58]

Where will it end? Undoubtedly where it always ends, with a masive bursting of the UK property bubble that has recently in large measure been fueled by foreigners paying no capital gains tax frequently spending shady money. Especially in a market as illiquid as property,

That's regardless of what micro measures you introduce to dampen rampant speculation. We're way to far gone for that to have any effect.

But at least it'll level the playing field somewhat and redress inequality.

Misology -- It's a bitch

London tower block on fire on 21:26 - Jun 18 with 1800 viewsShaky

London tower block on fire on 20:57 - Jun 18 by londonlisa2001

This isn't the right time to be highlighting scandals of wasted resources and distortion to the property market for the purpose of 'excellent politics'. It's the time for all of them, from every side, to solve the immediate problem. I agree with the sentiment, but there are better things for them to concentrate on at present.

The UK property market is something of a sacred cow; how else are we to become easily rich without actually doing anything?

What better time to nibble at it when people are suffering from varying degrees of shock. Eyes wide awake for once.

Misology -- It's a bitch

London tower block on fire on 21:27 - Jun 18 with 1793 viewslondonlisa2001

London tower block on fire on 21:06 - Jun 18 by Highjack

Is that true about people handing out flyers inciting to bring down the City of London?

I can't remember what they were called - they have a 'Day of Rage' on Wednesday starting at Shepherds Bush (which is why I imagine they gave out flyers there). I looked at it and threw it away. They want to take down London, or shut down London, can't remember which, until the government is gone and Corbyn is in, and will do it by any means necessary apparently.

And this is, of course, to 'help' Grenfell.
London tower block on fire on 21:39 - Jun 18 with 1753 viewslondonlisa2001

London tower block on fire on 21:26 - Jun 18 by Shaky

The UK property market is something of a sacred cow; how else are we to become easily rich without actually doing anything?

What better time to nibble at it when people are suffering from varying degrees of shock. Eyes wide awake for once.

As I say, I understand the point, and don't disagree. But the immediate priority for the leaders of all parties has to be sorting out the needs of the residents and the bereaved, not using it for a wider political discussion.
London tower block on fire on 21:58 - Jun 18 with 1714 viewsJango

London tower block on fire on 21:58 - Jun 18 with 1713 viewsPozuelosSideys

London tower block on fire on 21:27 - Jun 18 by londonlisa2001

I can't remember what they were called - they have a 'Day of Rage' on Wednesday starting at Shepherds Bush (which is why I imagine they gave out flyers there). I looked at it and threw it away. They want to take down London, or shut down London, can't remember which, until the government is gone and Corbyn is in, and will do it by any means necessary apparently.

And this is, of course, to 'help' Grenfell.

Rent a mob at it again are they?

A hot wednesday, fuelled with booze wont end well. Hopefully it doesnt turn out like it has before in the not so distant past.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024