Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London tower block on fire 05:32 - Jun 14 with 71690 viewsSwansNZ

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40269625

Sounds like some people might be trapped.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

London tower block on fire on 10:58 - Jun 14 with 2792 viewsmagicdaps10

This is unbelievable and so upsetting.

So many questions to be asked, a fridge freezer catching fire is what is being said as what started it.

The story of a man catching a baby thrown from the 9th floor.

Makes you realise that life cant be taken for granted.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

London tower block on fire on 11:05 - Jun 14 with 2780 viewsepaul

Smoke still billowing out and the odd flames still shoot out. This is an awful tragedy

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

London tower block on fire on 11:12 - Jun 14 with 2766 viewsFireboy2

London tower block on fire on 10:19 - Jun 14 by swanjackal

No training can prepare you for that devastation, both physically or mentally. A noble profession, one I will be honest I don't think I could do.

Horrible scenes, you can only hope the casualties are minimal, also the damage to both memories due to property damaged, and mental scars from the event will always linger for those too. So many families devastated by this.

I am a firefigher and I've only been to one proper flat fire and I can tell you now that most firefighters would have been shitting themselves this morning going into that building not knowing how bad it could be but we are trained well and take our job very seriously with the no1 priority of being to rescue people

They will be trying their hardest in as you have already seen the worst conditions imaginable to try to get to as many people who are missing

My heart goes out to the people that have been affected by this horrendous fire

I absolutely love my job and at this moment in time I'm thinking of what my fellow firefighters have been and are going through

I am stopping short on what I think caused it and what SHOULD have been done to stop it as I have a good idea on regulations in these sort of buildings
London tower block on fire on 11:19 - Jun 14 with 2758 viewsDarran

Absolutely shocking to see though the political point scoring that's started on twitter already makes me sick.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

London tower block on fire on 11:23 - Jun 14 with 2751 viewsFireboy2

London tower block on fire on 11:19 - Jun 14 by Darran

Absolutely shocking to see though the political point scoring that's started on twitter already makes me sick.

That's something else that ive stopped short on commenting on dar

Absolutely disgusting when you think that people have died and people are still trapped

W@nkers the lot of em
London tower block on fire on 11:24 - Jun 14 with 2749 viewsswanjackal

London tower block on fire on 11:12 - Jun 14 by Fireboy2

I am a firefigher and I've only been to one proper flat fire and I can tell you now that most firefighters would have been shitting themselves this morning going into that building not knowing how bad it could be but we are trained well and take our job very seriously with the no1 priority of being to rescue people

They will be trying their hardest in as you have already seen the worst conditions imaginable to try to get to as many people who are missing

My heart goes out to the people that have been affected by this horrendous fire

I absolutely love my job and at this moment in time I'm thinking of what my fellow firefighters have been and are going through

I am stopping short on what I think caused it and what SHOULD have been done to stop it as I have a good idea on regulations in these sort of buildings

I have seen the mental devastation a fireman went through after his first fatality job. He quit shortly after and lost himself in drink in a relative short time. Although I was not a close friend of his, I knew him well enough to see his decline...which involved ostracizing himself from his friends and family, including his young son at the time.

I'm not sure what happened to him, as I moved away, and have not seen him whenever I go back to parents, but it was a sad thing to view. My first real experience of PTSD and its effects.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2017 11:27]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

London tower block on fire on 11:44 - Jun 14 with 2701 viewsFireboy2

London tower block on fire on 11:24 - Jun 14 by swanjackal

I have seen the mental devastation a fireman went through after his first fatality job. He quit shortly after and lost himself in drink in a relative short time. Although I was not a close friend of his, I knew him well enough to see his decline...which involved ostracizing himself from his friends and family, including his young son at the time.

I'm not sure what happened to him, as I moved away, and have not seen him whenever I go back to parents, but it was a sad thing to view. My first real experience of PTSD and its effects.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2017 11:27]

Thats awful jackal and I hope he's ok

The trouble with firefighters and others doing dangerous jobs as you have experienced with this fella is we bottle our problems up as we are seen to be tough people and we try to sort it out ourselves,we take great pride in serving our community and when you are involved in a fatality you take a bit responsibility thinking you could've done better

I've had a few fatalities in my time but luckily I haven't experienced the problems the fella you knew did and I hope I don't either

I also expect everyone involved in this incident will get counselling and I expect it to happen as a group rather than individually as you are likely to pour his emotions out to fellow crew members you serve with
London tower block on fire on 11:45 - Jun 14 with 2697 viewsDarran

London tower block on fire on 11:23 - Jun 14 by Fireboy2

That's something else that ive stopped short on commenting on dar

Absolutely disgusting when you think that people have died and people are still trapped

W@nkers the lot of em

I agree mate nobody knows exactly what's happened yet and this could be the type of thing that wouldn't have made any difference with 50k extra firefighters.

Keep up the good work.

Login to get fewer ads

London tower block on fire on 11:46 - Jun 14 with 2698 viewswaynekerr55

London tower block on fire on 11:19 - Jun 14 by Darran

Talking of that, look at this c*nt:

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

London tower block on fire on 11:55 - Jun 14 with 2681 viewsDarran

London tower block on fire on 11:46 - Jun 14 by waynekerr55

Talking of that, look at this c*nt:

He'd be given a compulsory lobotomy if it was down to me.

London tower block on fire on 12:02 - Jun 14 with 2662 viewswaynekerr55

London tower block on fire on 11:55 - Jun 14 by Darran

Lobotomy? The c*nt should be made to sit in a room with the victims families.

London tower block on fire on 12:04 - Jun 14 with 2659 viewsWarwickHunt

London tower block on fire on 11:55 - Jun 14 by Darran

He sounds like he's already had one... the massive cünt.
London tower block on fire on 12:14 - Jun 14 with 2626 viewsDarran

London tower block on fire on 12:04 - Jun 14 by WarwickHunt

He sounds like he's already had one... the massive cünt.

Fair point.

Seriously though there something wrong with these çunt shovelling pricks that can't shut their mouths at times like this.

London tower block on fire on 12:43 - Jun 14 with 2572 viewsHighjack

London tower block on fire on 10:01 - Jun 14 by Meraki

Its an absolute nightmare, one woman has just said told that when the fire was relatively small - residents were told to remain in their flats/apartments and then it just spread rapidly.

The is a school next to it covered in the same plastic cladding.

If there is truth in the reports that people were told to stay in a burning building then it has to be the most fundamentally stupid thing any authority has done anywhere, ever.

The most heartbreaking thing about all these tragedies is how easy they could have been prevented by people in power just applying a bit of common sense.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

London tower block on fire on 12:54 - Jun 14 with 2550 viewsswancity

Too sad for words. 😢

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

London tower block on fire on 13:00 - Jun 14 with 2532 viewsBatterseajack

London tower block on fire on 12:43 - Jun 14 by Highjack

If there is truth in the reports that people were told to stay in a burning building then it has to be the most fundamentally stupid thing any authority has done anywhere, ever.

The most heartbreaking thing about all these tragedies is how easy they could have been prevented by people in power just applying a bit of common sense.

Most high rises have this policy, the thinking being that if everyone evacuated at the same time, there would be bottle necks at the escape stairs which could prevent people closest to the fire and in the most danger from escaping quickly enough. The building should also have internal fire compartments which can hold fire from spreading for up to two hours which should be sufficient time to put out the fire, or carry out a full phased evacuation of the building.

The trouble with what happened last night, is that the fire seems to have spread around the building which should never have happened and probably wasn't even considered in the fire strategy. Its beyond belief that combustible material was used to clad the facade.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2017 13:02]
London tower block on fire on 13:36 - Jun 14 with 2468 viewsjack2jack

When i saw it on the news reminded me so much of 9/11 horrific scenes.
Heart goes out to all involved, especially the victims. RIP
Well done to all the emergency services, what a job, don,t envy them at all, tough job, even tougher day.
London tower block on fire on 14:24 - Jun 14 with 2400 viewsepaul

London tower block on fire on 13:00 - Jun 14 by Batterseajack

Most high rises have this policy, the thinking being that if everyone evacuated at the same time, there would be bottle necks at the escape stairs which could prevent people closest to the fire and in the most danger from escaping quickly enough. The building should also have internal fire compartments which can hold fire from spreading for up to two hours which should be sufficient time to put out the fire, or carry out a full phased evacuation of the building.

The trouble with what happened last night, is that the fire seems to have spread around the building which should never have happened and probably wasn't even considered in the fire strategy. Its beyond belief that combustible material was used to clad the facade.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2017 13:02]

There are only 5 floors in the block I manage and there use to be a fire extinguisher on either side of each floor. Due to health and safety they were removed about 3 years ago as residents are not encouraged to tackle fires but remain behind a locked door. There are only 2 extinguishers in the building one outside the boiler room and one outside the electrical room

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

London tower block on fire on 14:27 - Jun 14 with 2395 viewswaynekerr55

London tower block on fire on 14:24 - Jun 14 by epaul

There are only 5 floors in the block I manage and there use to be a fire extinguisher on either side of each floor. Due to health and safety they were removed about 3 years ago as residents are not encouraged to tackle fires but remain behind a locked door. There are only 2 extinguishers in the building one outside the boiler room and one outside the electrical room

Unbelievable isn't it Paul. Of course nobody should try to tackle a raging fire but surely it's better for them to be present if it's a minor fire. I'd like someone to point out where in the HASAWA it's says that people shouldn't use a fire extinguisher

London tower block on fire on 14:36 - Jun 14 with 2378 viewsLohengrin

London tower block on fire on 14:27 - Jun 14 by waynekerr55

Unbelievable isn't it Paul. Of course nobody should try to tackle a raging fire but surely it's better for them to be present if it's a minor fire. I'd like someone to point out where in the HASAWA it's says that people shouldn't use a fire extinguisher

Really speaking fire extinguishers are neither designed nor intended to 'fight fire', as such, the device is supposed to be utilised to facilitate escape from fire.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

London tower block on fire on 14:40 - Jun 14 with 2368 viewswaynekerr55

London tower block on fire on 14:36 - Jun 14 by Lohengrin

Really speaking fire extinguishers are neither designed nor intended to 'fight fire', as such, the device is supposed to be utilised to facilitate escape from fire.

Which makes their removal all the more strange, IMO

London tower block on fire on 14:46 - Jun 14 with 2355 viewsLohengrin

London tower block on fire on 14:40 - Jun 14 by waynekerr55

Baffling.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

London tower block on fire on 14:54 - Jun 14 with 2338 viewsHighjack

London tower block on fire on 14:40 - Jun 14 by waynekerr55

Does it cost money to have the extinguishers regularly checked and maintained/replaced? I don't know the answer but it could go a long way to explain their removal.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

London tower block on fire on 14:58 - Jun 14 with 2331 viewsswanjackal

London tower block on fire on 14:54 - Jun 14 by Highjack

Does it cost money to have the extinguishers regularly checked and maintained/replaced? I don't know the answer but it could go a long way to explain their removal.

It did when I was fire officer for my work. Not sure on residences or public, or it depends on firms, but I know some charge for an annual inspection/renewal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

London tower block on fire on 15:05 - Jun 14 with 2315 viewsBatterseajack

London tower block on fire on 14:24 - Jun 14 by epaul

I guess because they are rarely used and cost a small fortune to maintain and send the wrong message to the occupants to go tackle a fire. Their priority should be to get away from the fire rather than tackle it. You'll be overcome by smoke way before you get close to any flames.

Modern tower blocks should have smoke extract systems to clear the escape path, but i doubt this building would have one of these.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024