Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London tower block on fire 05:32 - Jun 14 with 71694 viewsSwansNZ

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40269625

Sounds like some people might be trapped.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

London tower block on fire on 15:21 - Jun 14 with 2836 viewsMeraki

London tower block on fire on 15:05 - Jun 14 by Batterseajack

I guess because they are rarely used and cost a small fortune to maintain and send the wrong message to the occupants to go tackle a fire. Their priority should be to get away from the fire rather than tackle it. You'll be overcome by smoke way before you get close to any flames.

Modern tower blocks should have smoke extract systems to clear the escape path, but i doubt this building would have one of these.

Didn't even have f*cking fire alarms from what the residents are saying!!
London tower block on fire on 15:36 - Jun 14 with 2802 viewsBatterseajack

London tower block on fire on 15:21 - Jun 14 by Meraki

Didn't even have f*cking fire alarms from what the residents are saying!!

I read something along those lines, and that where they did have alarms they were too quiet to wake people up. That's absolutely appalling.

I've been involved in the design of several apartment buildings in London. There's nothing wrong with the regulations per se, but the workmanship and execution of the build right down to the people who sign these places off, can (but not all the time) be borderline criminal, either because the contractors don't fully understand the regs, think they know better, or cut corners to maximize their profits/cut losses.
London tower block on fire on 15:58 - Jun 14 with 2774 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

London tower block on fire on 11:19 - Jun 14 by Darran

Absolutely shocking to see though the political point scoring that's started on twitter already makes me sick.

Agree........ and politicians on TV scoring points before the fire is out with firefighters in the building.......these people are c nuts.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

London tower block on fire on 18:00 - Jun 14 with 2653 viewsJack_Meoff

Blog from Grenfell Action Group, November 2016.

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/

'The Grenfell Action Group predict that it won’t be long before the words of this blog come back to haunt the KCTMO management and we will do everything in our power to ensure that those in authority know how long and how appallingly our landlord has ignored their responsibility to ensure the heath and safety of their tenants and leaseholders. They can’t say that they haven’t been warned!'

Sounds like if warnings had been heeded this could've been avoided. Utterly sickening.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

London tower block on fire on 18:37 - Jun 14 with 2610 viewsdickythorpe

I really do hope that all get as much support and counselling they need. The scars of this may never be healed to those affected.
London tower block on fire on 19:08 - Jun 14 with 2592 viewsepaul

London tower block on fire on 14:54 - Jun 14 by Highjack

Does it cost money to have the extinguishers regularly checked and maintained/replaced? I don't know the answer but it could go a long way to explain their removal.

I manage a private block of flats in Holland park, money isnt an issue in my place for this kind of thing, its purely a health and safety thing

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

London tower block on fire on 19:11 - Jun 14 with 2585 viewsskippyjack

London tower block on fire on 11:12 - Jun 14 by Fireboy2

I am a firefigher and I've only been to one proper flat fire and I can tell you now that most firefighters would have been shitting themselves this morning going into that building not knowing how bad it could be but we are trained well and take our job very seriously with the no1 priority of being to rescue people

They will be trying their hardest in as you have already seen the worst conditions imaginable to try to get to as many people who are missing

My heart goes out to the people that have been affected by this horrendous fire

I absolutely love my job and at this moment in time I'm thinking of what my fellow firefighters have been and are going through

I am stopping short on what I think caused it and what SHOULD have been done to stop it as I have a good idea on regulations in these sort of buildings

Here we go.. the majority of you sit on your a*se all day.. worse than politicians.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

London tower block on fire on 19:23 - Jun 14 with 2567 views3swan

London tower block on fire on 15:58 - Jun 14 by JACKMANANDBOY

Agree........ and politicians on TV scoring points before the fire is out with firefighters in the building.......these people are c nuts.

You can add some journalists.

Just watched the news and questions being put to people who were worried about missing friends and relatives were unbelievable.

No humanity
Login to get fewer ads

London tower block on fire on 19:29 - Jun 14 with 2554 viewsDr_Winston

London tower block on fire on 19:11 - Jun 14 by skippyjack

Here we go.. the majority of you sit on your a*se all day.. worse than politicians.

Bye Skip.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

London tower block on fire on 19:31 - Jun 14 with 2550 viewsJoe_bradshaw

I ran a residential care home for 25 years. We had to maintain fire extinguishers with an annual service, train staff on how to use them and what to do in case of fire, maintain fire doors, smoke detectors, heat detectors, test alarm systems weekly and carry out a full fire drill monthly.

Much of the training was given by the fire service in the past free of charge. That changed about 15 years ago and lots of private firms run by ex firemen offered all these services. It cost a bit but the fire service rigorously inspected the property annually and made unannounced inspections in between. Failure to pass all areas in an inspection would result in a notice to comply within 28 days followed by a withdrawal of the fire safety certificate if you failed again four weeks later. Without that certificate you had to close your doors.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

London tower block on fire on 19:42 - Jun 14 with 2523 viewsdickythorpe

London tower block on fire on 19:29 - Jun 14 by Dr_Winston

Bye Skip.

My god, a new low.
London tower block on fire on 19:52 - Jun 14 with 2503 viewsDarran

London tower block on fire on 19:29 - Jun 14 by Dr_Winston

Bye Skip.

Not before time.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

London tower block on fire on 19:53 - Jun 14 with 2498 viewsBanosswan

There's been a big project around me recently in sandfields (pt), where all the council houses have been covered in cladding/external insulation and then pebble dashed. Hope it's not the same sort of stuff.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

London tower block on fire on 19:57 - Jun 14 with 2487 viewsDarran

London tower block on fire on 19:53 - Jun 14 by Banosswan

There's been a big project around me recently in sandfields (pt), where all the council houses have been covered in cladding/external insulation and then pebble dashed. Hope it's not the same sort of stuff.

They've been doing it throughout Neath for the last two years my friend.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

London tower block on fire on 20:43 - Jun 14 with 2434 viewsphact0rri

I will say, the american news this morning, said something like "oh there's a bit of a fire in london." I had no idea how grizzly and awful it was until I heard the BBC news at 6 o'clock I get on here.

And hearing that pretty much the top levels are completely filled with victims my goodness no words really...

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

London tower block on fire on 20:46 - Jun 14 with 2421 viewsBanosswan

London tower block on fire on 20:43 - Jun 14 by phact0rri

I will say, the american news this morning, said something like "oh there's a bit of a fire in london." I had no idea how grizzly and awful it was until I heard the BBC news at 6 o'clock I get on here.

And hearing that pretty much the top levels are completely filled with victims my goodness no words really...

I looked on the CNN website this morning and their coverage was very similar to what we got here. Maybe it didn't translate to the TV.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

London tower block on fire on 21:43 - Jun 14 with 2368 viewsphact0rri

London tower block on fire on 20:46 - Jun 14 by Banosswan

I looked on the CNN website this morning and their coverage was very similar to what we got here. Maybe it didn't translate to the TV.

Or the radio... and spent only a few moments on it.. to be fair we did have some senators shot at. but I wish I understood it just wasn't a normal fire.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

London tower block on fire on 21:47 - Jun 14 with 2361 viewsjesushchrist

Absolutely aweful and horrific, thoughts to all those involved.
I work for a major fire install company and the amount of tinpot company's popping up over the last 10 years is shocking, the amount of untrained fire engineers who know nothing about regulations is quite unbelievable, I just hope that building wasn't maintained by one of these tinpot company's who charge peanuts and put people's lives in their monkeys hands.
London tower block on fire on 21:58 - Jun 14 with 2345 viewsNogginthenog

Bbc news led with " difficult to know how the fire was allowed to spread so quickly"

Oh yes thats because the firefighters are all cowards see , the BBC is incredibly stupid these days.
London tower block on fire on 22:12 - Jun 14 with 2315 viewsGowerjack

London tower block on fire on 21:58 - Jun 14 by Nogginthenog

Bbc news led with " difficult to know how the fire was allowed to spread so quickly"

Oh yes thats because the firefighters are all cowards see , the BBC is incredibly stupid these days.

Eh?

How could you construe that comment as a criticism of the firefighters?

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

London tower block on fire on 22:14 - Jun 14 with 2298 viewsSwansNZ

London tower block on fire on 21:58 - Jun 14 by Nogginthenog

Sounds more like a possible criticism of the (lack of) safety of the building.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

London tower block on fire on 22:21 - Jun 14 with 2282 viewsNogginthenog

London tower block on fire on 22:12 - Jun 14 by Gowerjack

Eh?

How could you construe that comment as a criticism of the firefighters?

The firefighters allowed the fire to spread, i hardly think so, they were risking life and limb on tower ladders among falling debris
London tower block on fire on 22:25 - Jun 14 with 2268 viewslondonlisa2001

Avoided talking about this today. There are no words.

This happened about a mile or so from where I live. Perhaps two. Close enough that we heard the sirens start at 1 ish, and the helicopters up all night. Close enough to be able to smell the acrid stench of burning in the air as I left the house this morning.

The thought of those poor people desperately throwing the babies through windows. Waving shirts in the air for help. Jumping.

It's horrific, upsetting, appalling. We feel a mixture of upset, angry, helpless. But proud again of the response of this brilliant city. All centres sent out messages saying 'no more donations - we can't cope'. Local shops and supermarkets delivered supplies by the lorry load. People of all backgrounds and faiths helped each other. Churches, Synagogues, Mosques all opened their doors to people of every faith, or no faith. Our emergency services were and are heroes.

Angry at those who tried to make political capital. More angry at those who allowed this to happen. Today and tomorrow is for helping and supporting. But after that, when the fire is out, the building is clear, the injured are on their way to recovery, the bereaved are comforted, the homeless are housed, there HAVE to be questions. Serious questions. Questions that could and should if necessary result in the most serious of actions. People's safety can NEVER be sold and those that would seek to do so, have to be brought to account.
London tower block on fire on 22:32 - Jun 14 with 2243 viewsjackportis

2016 year of celebrity deaths 2017 year of the tragedys. I hope this diverse community looks after the residents.

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

London tower block on fire on 22:52 - Jun 14 with 2206 viewsSgorioFruit

London tower block on fire on 22:25 - Jun 14 by londonlisa2001

Avoided talking about this today. There are no words.

This happened about a mile or so from where I live. Perhaps two. Close enough that we heard the sirens start at 1 ish, and the helicopters up all night. Close enough to be able to smell the acrid stench of burning in the air as I left the house this morning.

The thought of those poor people desperately throwing the babies through windows. Waving shirts in the air for help. Jumping.

It's horrific, upsetting, appalling. We feel a mixture of upset, angry, helpless. But proud again of the response of this brilliant city. All centres sent out messages saying 'no more donations - we can't cope'. Local shops and supermarkets delivered supplies by the lorry load. People of all backgrounds and faiths helped each other. Churches, Synagogues, Mosques all opened their doors to people of every faith, or no faith. Our emergency services were and are heroes.

Angry at those who tried to make political capital. More angry at those who allowed this to happen. Today and tomorrow is for helping and supporting. But after that, when the fire is out, the building is clear, the injured are on their way to recovery, the bereaved are comforted, the homeless are housed, there HAVE to be questions. Serious questions. Questions that could and should if necessary result in the most serious of actions. People's safety can NEVER be sold and those that would seek to do so, have to be brought to account.

Well said Lisa

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024