Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London tower block on fire 05:32 - Jun 14 with 71664 viewsSwansNZ

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40269625

Sounds like some people might be trapped.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

London tower block on fire on 12:22 - Jun 16 with 2088 viewswestside

details of cladding

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/grenfell-tower-fire-latest-london
London tower block on fire on 12:42 - Jun 16 with 2047 viewsHumpty

As I say, I know nothing about the subject.

But it seems pretty obvious to me.

Architect and fire expert Sam Webb said: "We are still wrapping post-war high-rise buildings in highly flammable materials and leaving them without sprinkler systems installed, then being surprised when they burn down.

"I really don't think the building industry understands how fire behaves in buildings and how dangerous it can be. The government's mania for deregulation means our current safety standards just aren't good enough."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40290158
London tower block on fire on 12:54 - Jun 16 with 2025 viewsPegojack

London tower block on fire on 11:42 - Jun 16 by londonlisa2001

I quite genuinely think that May's performance over the election and since has been unbelievable.

I was pleased when she became leader of the Tories, as I was told by many who had wòrked for her that she was competent and a genuinely nice person. So the best of those that stodd by a mile.Her response to this, to the election, the manifesto, to Brexit has been shocking.

I have no idea whether she's incredibly badly advised, scared and doesn't know how to react, or whether she's always been incompetent and hidden it well, even from senior civil servants.

Whatever the reason, she's finished.

Not for a while, I hope. She's currently the Labour Party's number one asset.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2017 12:54]
London tower block on fire on 13:28 - Jun 16 with 1996 viewsNogginthenog

I sinerely hope that one positive outcome from this tragedy will be that people come closer together in fellowship. It is patently obvious that the gap between rich and poor has become a gulf and we need to have a fairer government than the Tories. May is mortally wounded now and she should go. The election result has shown that the people are sick to death of austerity, and further division in society. We don't need riots we need our mp's to listen and serve us, not themselves.
London tower block on fire on 13:37 - Jun 16 with 1987 viewsdickythorpe

Come on now Tramp, this is a gut wrenching "happening" and it may just be the fire regs are an easy target to look for blame early on.

People have been wiped out, a community destroyed by fire. It's heartbreaking.
London tower block on fire on 13:48 - Jun 16 with 1975 viewsdailew

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/15/eight-failures-left-people-grenfell-t

"Until 1986 all buildings in London fell under the London Building Acts which ensured that external walls must have at least one hour of fire resistance to prevent flames from spreading between flats or entering inside.

But under Margaret Thatcher’s government, those rules were replaced by the National Buildings Regulations and the crucial time stipulation was scrapped."

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

London tower block on fire on 13:57 - Jun 16 with 1952 viewsOnslow

Liz turning up today has done May no favours. She really hasn't handled this well

She keeps passin' me by...

London tower block on fire on 14:00 - Jun 16 with 1946 viewstrampie

London tower block on fire on 13:37 - Jun 16 by dickythorpe

Come on now Tramp, this is a gut wrenching "happening" and it may just be the fire regs are an easy target to look for blame early on.

People have been wiped out, a community destroyed by fire. It's heartbreaking.

I know heartbreaking, I don't normally post on disaster threads and left this one a relatively long time, but nobody had posted that we have different standards here in Wales, lots of posters on here are in England and might not realise that there are mandatory sprinklers on new and converted buildings in Wales but apparently not in England, people in England should be asking why they have not got it but they need to know how things are done elsewhere in the first place.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Login to get fewer ads

London tower block on fire on 14:04 - Jun 16 with 1933 viewstrampie

London tower block on fire on 13:28 - Jun 16 by Nogginthenog

I sinerely hope that one positive outcome from this tragedy will be that people come closer together in fellowship. It is patently obvious that the gap between rich and poor has become a gulf and we need to have a fairer government than the Tories. May is mortally wounded now and she should go. The election result has shown that the people are sick to death of austerity, and further division in society. We don't need riots we need our mp's to listen and serve us, not themselves.

Get real butt, it's only temporary that people come together​, people won't pay higher taxes, the Conservatives won the election don't forget.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2017 14:05]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

London tower block on fire on 14:04 - Jun 16 with 1929 viewsNeath_Jack

London tower block on fire on 14:27 - Jun 14 by waynekerr55

Unbelievable isn't it Paul. Of course nobody should try to tackle a raging fire but surely it's better for them to be present if it's a minor fire. I'd like someone to point out where in the HASAWA it's says that people shouldn't use a fire extinguisher

It doesn't say it anywhere in HASAWA. Nobody would get into trouble for using an extinguisher to attempt to tackle a fire.

If you were in work however, and tried to tackle a fire, and had received no training in how to use them and you got burnt, or use the wrong type of extinguisher and ended uo hurting yourself or someone else, then people start getting into trouble.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

London tower block on fire on 14:06 - Jun 16 with 1923 viewsNeath_Jack

London tower block on fire on 19:08 - Jun 14 by epaul

I manage a private block of flats in Holland park, money isnt an issue in my place for this kind of thing, its purely a health and safety thing

Could you expand on the health and safety thing Paul, what do you men by that exactly?

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

London tower block on fire on 14:26 - Jun 16 with 1898 viewsjackportis

Glad to see the Queen there with William. Pleased to see everyone respect and applaud her. She is a great role model even some of the Muslim community were grateful. Puts May to Shame

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

London tower block on fire on 14:27 - Jun 16 with 1893 viewsexiledclaseboy

This tragedy may well turn out to be a horrific example of the practical impact of the savage cuts in public spending over the last seven years. Or maybe not.

Poll: Tory leader

London tower block on fire on 14:34 - Jun 16 with 1877 viewsNogginthenog

London tower block on fire on 14:04 - Jun 16 by trampie

Get real butt, it's only temporary that people come together​, people won't pay higher taxes, the Conservatives won the election don't forget.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2017 14:05]

They may have won the election butt, but they haven't won hearts and minds.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2017 14:36]
London tower block on fire on 14:38 - Jun 16 with 1867 viewsfelixstowe_jack

London tower block on fire on 13:48 - Jun 16 by dailew

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/15/eight-failures-left-people-grenfell-t

"Until 1986 all buildings in London fell under the London Building Acts which ensured that external walls must have at least one hour of fire resistance to prevent flames from spreading between flats or entering inside.

But under Margaret Thatcher’s government, those rules were replaced by the National Buildings Regulations and the crucial time stipulation was scrapped."

Clearly under Blair and Brown these regulations were reinstated.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

London tower block on fire on 14:44 - Jun 16 with 1856 viewsdailew

London tower block on fire on 14:27 - Jun 16 by exiledclaseboy

This tragedy may well turn out to be a horrific example of the practical impact of the savage cuts in public spending over the last seven years. Or maybe not.

The savage cuts that allowed a local council to spend £80000 per flat on combustible cladding.

Public sector still clueless and pissing other peoples' money against the wall like Larry.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

London tower block on fire on 14:48 - Jun 16 with 1846 viewstrampie

London tower block on fire on 14:34 - Jun 16 by Nogginthenog

They may have won the election butt, but they haven't won hearts and minds.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2017 14:36]

In England butt ?

In Scotland, SNP won more seats than every other party combined.
In Wales, Labour won more seats than every other party combined.
In England, Conservatives won more seats than every other party combined.

London tower block on fire on 14:52 - Jun 16 with 1834 viewsHumpty

London tower block on fire on 14:26 - Jun 16 by jackportis

Glad to see the Queen there with William. Pleased to see everyone respect and applaud her. She is a great role model even some of the Muslim community were grateful. Puts May to Shame

Is there any need for that?

On a thread about such a dreadful subject?
London tower block on fire on 14:52 - Jun 16 with 1832 viewslondonlisa2001

London tower block on fire on 14:27 - Jun 16 by exiledclaseboy

They spent over £2m on the cladding according to reports as part of a £10m refit, and it appears that the safer version cost only an additional £5k.

That's not about cuts. Stuff like sprinklers and so on, may well be, but I'm not sure how sprinklers could prevent the progress of a fire that spreads outside a building.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned on here by the way and people may not realise unless they know that estate, is that this block also contained the 'rich'. Rents were £2k per month for 2 bedroom flats in that block, and some had also been sold, at high amounts. The area is not run down and poor by any stretch.
London tower block on fire on 14:56 - Jun 16 with 1821 viewslondonlisa2001

London tower block on fire on 14:38 - Jun 16 by felixstowe_jack

Clearly under Blair and Brown these regulations were reinstated.

This really should not be politicised by either side.

It seems as though it's an awful wake up call about our building and fire regulations and URGENT action is required.

Unfortunately, the current narrative of 'red tape = bad' is really not going to help.
London tower block on fire on 14:56 - Jun 16 with 1819 viewsDarran

Another Planet Swans thread that's making me want to vomit.

Not aimed at anyone in particular but there's some fuçking experts on here aye.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

London tower block on fire on 14:58 - Jun 16 with 1812 viewsJack_Meoff

London tower block on fire on 23:55 - Jun 15 by Kerouac

Is there no depth the Labour party under Corbyn won't sink too?

What's he/they said/done Kez? Genuine question.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

London tower block on fire on 14:59 - Jun 16 with 1803 viewsMeraki

London tower block on fire on 14:52 - Jun 16 by londonlisa2001

They spent over £2m on the cladding according to reports as part of a £10m refit, and it appears that the safer version cost only an additional £5k.

That's not about cuts. Stuff like sprinklers and so on, may well be, but I'm not sure how sprinklers could prevent the progress of a fire that spreads outside a building.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned on here by the way and people may not realise unless they know that estate, is that this block also contained the 'rich'. Rents were £2k per month for 2 bedroom flats in that block, and some had also been sold, at high amounts. The area is not run down and poor by any stretch.

http://www.standard.co.uk/Front/london-fire-inside-the-2k-grenfell-tower-flats-b

Yes I read that
London tower block on fire on 15:03 - Jun 16 with 1789 viewsMeraki

London tower block on fire on 14:56 - Jun 16 by Darran

Another Planet Swans thread that's making me want to vomit.

Not aimed at anyone in particular but there's some fuçking experts on here aye.

Thats a bit hypocritical, you just made a joke on a thread about 2 soldiers who have died in an incident at Castlemartin.
London tower block on fire on 15:04 - Jun 16 with 1788 viewslondonlisa2001

London tower block on fire on 14:59 - Jun 16 by Meraki

http://www.standard.co.uk/Front/london-fire-inside-the-2k-grenfell-tower-flats-b

Yes I read that

I knew it was a mix of public and private but didn't realise how expensive it was until I was with a lady yesterday whose daughter and son in law lived in the block until about 6 months ago.

It didn't surprise me though as I know that the same applies in Trellick.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024