Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This fire ... 23:25 - Jun 17 with 3640 viewsLoyal

If it happened in say Inverness as an example, would there be anywhere near the coverage, media and social comment that there has been ?

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

This fire ... on 23:31 - Jun 17 with 2411 viewsexiledclaseboy

At least 50 people are dead. At least.

I'm guessing "yes".

Poll: Tory leader

This fire ... on 00:13 - Jun 18 with 2363 viewsbarry_island

I'm guessing ther'd be a lot more coverage if the faces involved looked more British. Sad to say there's been no minutes silence in work for the victims of this disaster. Perhaps it doesn't count if there's a degree of culpability on the Governents behalf????

Swansea City, THE Austerity Club.

This fire ... on 00:16 - Jun 18 with 2355 viewsAquinas

This fire ... on 00:13 - Jun 18 by barry_island

I'm guessing ther'd be a lot more coverage if the faces involved looked more British. Sad to say there's been no minutes silence in work for the victims of this disaster. Perhaps it doesn't count if there's a degree of culpability on the Governents behalf????

I preferred you when you just smiled.

There will be a minutes silence in work next week.
This fire ... on 00:22 - Jun 18 with 2345 viewsbarry_island

This fire ... on 00:16 - Jun 18 by Aquinas

I preferred you when you just smiled.

There will be a minutes silence in work next week.

No problem and I hope so.

It's just seemed a bit long coming.

Swansea City, THE Austerity Club.

This fire ... on 00:32 - Jun 18 with 2326 viewsPokerface

If it happened in Swansea we would not expect the Queen, Prince William and May to turn up.

Corbyn and his supporters have turned it into a political bitch fest.

Mays fault- yeh right.

Got to be one of the toughest starts for any prime minister... London, Manchester and now this catastrophe.

People naturally want to blame someone. Carry on although it won't cure or fix anything but will help them feel better.

Better to get to the bottom of it all, cheap dodgy contracts, save money, cut corners, profit to be made, put personal benefit before that of the many. No I am not talking about our board.

Poll: Most boring poster....and least football knowledge

This fire ... on 07:49 - Jun 18 with 2216 viewsLoyal

I think the faces should have looked more British for popularity alone.
However, the irony will be lost.

The queen likes Swansea and the upside down Union Jack. ( not )

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

This fire ... on 08:00 - Jun 18 with 2206 viewsMeraki

This is the most vile post I've ever seen on here, mods?
This fire ... on 08:06 - Jun 18 with 2198 viewsKilkennyjack

This fire ... on 00:32 - Jun 18 by Pokerface

If it happened in Swansea we would not expect the Queen, Prince William and May to turn up.

Corbyn and his supporters have turned it into a political bitch fest.

Mays fault- yeh right.

Got to be one of the toughest starts for any prime minister... London, Manchester and now this catastrophe.

People naturally want to blame someone. Carry on although it won't cure or fix anything but will help them feel better.

Better to get to the bottom of it all, cheap dodgy contracts, save money, cut corners, profit to be made, put personal benefit before that of the many. No I am not talking about our board.

Many young families burnt alive. There are no words for this.

Yes the good and the great should go there, however tough.

However whilst the fire itself appears to be due to an electrical white goods fault in a single flat, it should not have spread so quickly. I read yesterday that each insulation panel was made with flammable material, whereas the non-flammable version for whole building would have cost just £5000 nore. The government paid Michael Gove £7,000 for furniture for his second home. Politics is about choices.
Germany and USA already banned the same stuff.

People will rightly get clink for this.

No sprinklers, advice to stay in flat, no hosepipes, its unbelievable.

Beware of the Risen People

Login to get fewer ads

This fire ... on 08:13 - Jun 18 with 2190 viewsBrynmill_Jack

This fire ... on 00:13 - Jun 18 by barry_island

That has been really troubling me all week.

If it had been the penthouses going up in flames would some of "fleet street " have reacted the same. If I'm honest I'm guessing not.

Obviously we'll never know because at leSt the penthouses wouldn't have silly cladding on the front and would have sprinklers and a decent fire alarm system.

Which in itself tells the story.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

This fire ... on 08:19 - Jun 18 with 2177 viewsBrynmill_Jack

This fire ... on 08:06 - Jun 18 by Kilkennyjack

However whilst the fire itself appears to be due to an electrical white goods fault in a single flat, it should not have spread so quickly. I read yesterday that each insulation panel was made with flammable material, whereas the non-flammable version for whole building would have cost just £5000 nore. The government paid Michael Gove £7,000 for furniture for his second home. Politics is about choices.

An excellent post. Sums up how normal human beings react to such a dreadfully needless event. Why some people can't grasp the sheer enormity of this I truly don't know.

I suppose, to counter the OP I'd say it would have got more coverage. For totally unacceptable reasons. Human life is human life, no matter what skin colour, accents or anything else that's different.

This fire ... on 09:18 - Jun 18 with 2118 viewsSPboy

I see the the usual political point scoring posters trying to score cheap points about this atrocity.

The media coverage has been very similar to the Manchester terrorist attacks. The news stations have been camped out there trying to link the event to politics. No benefit concert arranged yet but that will probably happen in due course.

If these events had happened outside Manchester or London I would expect similar coverage but it would not be headline news for such a sustained period. The media just like the posters on here are driving their political agenda - the media because it is for self promotion, posters for self gratification because they backed losers in recent elections & referendum
This fire ... on 09:22 - Jun 18 with 2106 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Yes there would be. There was an outcry over the fires at Links Cross and Bradford. As a result of the inquiries that followed both these fires both the underground and football grounds are far safer. The same can be said following the ferry disasters in the past. The tragedy is until a disaster happens things only change very slowly.
Take road deaths as high as 3400 in 2000 currently down to around 1700 the equivalent of the London fire disaster every month.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

This fire ... on 09:47 - Jun 18 with 2059 viewsphact0rri

have to say with the nightmare descriptors it wouldn't matter where it is. the moment I heard fire brigade saying.. "yeah everyone in the upper levels are dead" is a tough thing to take. I lived in london for a bit I will admit... but don't know if being in Bristol or or North Tyneside would matter much. its awful, sad and unacceptable for me.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

This fire ... on 10:07 - Jun 18 with 2025 viewsJack_Meoff

This fire ... on 09:22 - Jun 18 by felixstowe_jack

Yes there would be. There was an outcry over the fires at Links Cross and Bradford. As a result of the inquiries that followed both these fires both the underground and football grounds are far safer. The same can be said following the ferry disasters in the past. The tragedy is until a disaster happens things only change very slowly.
Take road deaths as high as 3400 in 2000 currently down to around 1700 the equivalent of the London fire disaster every month.

The Grenfell residents had been campaigning for years, and warning that what happened was only a matter of time. Give their blog a read.

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.

This fire ... on 10:17 - Jun 18 with 2012 viewsShaky

This fire ... on 09:18 - Jun 18 by SPboy

I see the the usual political point scoring posters trying to score cheap points about this atrocity.

The media coverage has been very similar to the Manchester terrorist attacks. The news stations have been camped out there trying to link the event to politics. No benefit concert arranged yet but that will probably happen in due course.

If these events had happened outside Manchester or London I would expect similar coverage but it would not be headline news for such a sustained period. The media just like the posters on here are driving their political agenda - the media because it is for self promotion, posters for self gratification because they backed losers in recent elections & referendum

Ah yes, the inevitable cry of the morally corrupt over disaster XYZ; "let's not score political points" .

Trouble is that this is entirely political.

The decisions not to install sprinkler systems and - God help them - use combustible rather than fire retardant cladding were entirely political. Political decisions to cut corners at every conceivable juncture so that public expenditure could be lowered paving the way for lower taxes.

And now we see the human cost. Look at it, and face up to the consequences of your political ideology. And examine your morals, if you have any.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

This fire ... on 10:54 - Jun 18 with 1951 viewsHumpty

This fire ... on 10:17 - Jun 18 by Shaky

Ah yes, the inevitable cry of the morally corrupt over disaster XYZ; "let's not score political points" .

The decisions not to install sprinkler systems and - God help them - use combustible rather than fire retardant cladding were entirely political. Political decisions to cut corners at every conceivable juncture so that public expenditure could be lowered paving the way for lower taxes.

And now we see the human cost. Look at it, and face up to the consequences of your political ideology. And examine your morals, if you have any.

Very well said Shaky.

It's absolutely political.
This fire ... on 11:18 - Jun 18 with 1922 viewsBrynmill_Jack

This fire ... on 10:54 - Jun 18 by Humpty

Very well said Shaky.

It's absolutely political.

Unfortunately yes it is.

This fire ... on 11:23 - Jun 18 with 1911 viewsDarran

It's obviously political that's why every stupid çunt on here wants to make a political point.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

This fire ... on 11:31 - Jun 18 with 1903 viewsswanforthemoney

I think there would have been equivalent coverage. More or less.
I dont think you get the London bias when there are really major tragedies involved. Based on the fact that the Manchester bombing and the London van/stabbings outragegot equivalent coverage.

I stand in the North Stand

This fire ... on 12:53 - Jun 18 with 1832 viewsunion_jack

This fire ... on 08:00 - Jun 18 by Meraki

This is the most vile post I've ever seen on here, mods?

Now this is most stupid I'm sorry to say.

OP raises a perfectly valid question. I don't agree with his statement because I believe anywhere would have received the same or at least similar response. Being London, one of the major cities in the world, it will possibly receive a little bit more internationally.

It's about time we took some points made or raised on here with which they were intended. People need to stop being do sensitive!!! If we were all around a pub table and this question was raised, everyone would participate without any outrage whatsoever.

The most vile post you've ever seen? Ye Gads!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

This fire ... on 14:15 - Jun 18 with 1775 viewsSPboy

This fire ... on 10:17 - Jun 18 by Shaky

Morally corrupt? Political ideology? You know nothing about me.

The trouble with you lefty leaning, liberal, laissez-faire, reactionaries you are always quick to point the finger after an event. Unable to accept alternative viewpoints. Yet,when given power so far up yourselves and full of self importance, surrounding yourselves with bureaucracy you fail to get anything done. If that is your political ideology, crack on.

You should try & get elected to Swansea city council mate, no vision, no ambition, happy to be the doormat of the capital city and Welsh Labour. Self righteous nob
This fire ... on 15:39 - Jun 18 with 1704 viewscontroversial_jack

This fire ... on 08:06 - Jun 18 by Kilkennyjack

If the cladding has not been banned in this country and is available and approved then no law has been broken
This fire ... on 16:45 - Jun 18 with 1657 viewsKilkennyjack

This fire ... on 15:39 - Jun 18 by controversial_jack

If the cladding has not been banned in this country and is available and approved then no law has been broken

Well it still represents a fatal error of judgement whether its legal or not. There are legal standards that are minimum and then there is safe housing. Clearly the decision to save just £5,000 has cost many people their lives.

Not sure hiding behing rules and regs is good enough.

I believe the police are considering charges of manslaughter.

Beware of the Risen People

This fire ... on 17:14 - Jun 18 with 1621 viewscontroversial_jack

This fire ... on 16:45 - Jun 18 by Kilkennyjack

Well it still represents a fatal error of judgement whether its legal or not. There are legal standards that are minimum and then there is safe housing. Clearly the decision to save just £5,000 has cost many people their lives.

Not sure hiding behing rules and regs is good enough.

I believe the police are considering charges of manslaughter.

I believe all the regs were complied with, they may not be good enough, but if the contractors have followed them then that's their arses covered. Don't hold your breath for any convictions.
This fire ... on 20:39 - Jun 18 with 1512 viewsShaky

This fire ... on 14:15 - Jun 18 by SPboy

Morally corrupt? Political ideology? You know nothing about me.

The trouble with you lefty leaning, liberal, laissez-faire, reactionaries you are always quick to point the finger after an event. Unable to accept alternative viewpoints. Yet,when given power so far up yourselves and full of self importance, surrounding yourselves with bureaucracy you fail to get anything done. If that is your political ideology, crack on.

You should try & get elected to Swansea city council mate, no vision, no ambition, happy to be the doormat of the capital city and Welsh Labour. Self righteous nob

Think I have a pretty good idea of who you are. And for the avoidance of doubt I mean that both in general terms, and - thanks to your turn of phrase - also specifically.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2017 20:52]

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024